2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tjkane Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I really enjoyed learning Prelude II (Blue Lullaby). Any suggestions for another piano solo work by George Gershwin that would be a good next piece to learn (of equal or a slight step up in difficulty) and would perhaps complement it?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
There's not that much solo piano repertoire by Gershwin, but Alfred Publishing has a volume they claim is the complete piano music of George Gershwin, edited by Maurice Hinson (Alfred Edition 31882, at $29.95 US). There is a total of about 35 disparate pieces, among which "Rialto Ripples," a rag, is sometimes played; among the 35, there are 18 piano solo transcriptions by Gershwin of his own (vocal) songs which are often recorded.

As well as the Three Preludes (of which you played the second) there are four other Preludes (including Novelette, Rubato, Melody No 17), Three-Quarter Blues and two Waltzes in C.

Then there are the larger numbers for piano and orchestra: "Rhapsody in Blue" (there is also a version for piano solo), and the "Concerto In F."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
tjkane Offline OP
OP Offline
T
BruceD,

Thank you for your input. Looks like I may need to get hold of that Alfred book, and listen to a CD of these pieces performed to help decide on something.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting this. I have the book that BruceD is eluding to, and it is quite good (although I have never played anything from it until tonight!). I have just sight read the Prelude II which I am sure I have heard before, but not sure where. That 10th is quite a stretch for me, but the piece is beautiful. If you like that, you might also like the Debussy Book II, Prelude IV - which the Gershwin reminded me of. It is also a beautiful piece and probably just that little bit more difficult than the Gershwin.

You can find the music at the Petrucci Music Library here.

Cheers

Marcus

PS I realise you were looking for more Gershwin, but I don't know the others yet!

Last edited by Oz Marcus; 01/26/10 07:06 AM.

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
Online Content

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There's the Earl Wild Gershwin transcriptions on his website:

http://www.earlwild.com/

7 Etudes

I'm working on 'The Man I Love'.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
The three preludes make a nice set. The second is indeed the easiest, especially if you take it at the stately pace used by most pianists today. But the bookend first and third are quite doable. Each offers a set of interesting technical and musical challenges.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I like Vacatello's live performance of "The Man I Love"; it's warm and sensitive, although she doesn't closely observe the score! I suppose that, in this type of repertoire, close observance of note values is not that critical if the performance communicates well, which hers does.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD

I like Vacatello's live performance of "The Man I Love"; it's warm and sensitive, although she doesn't closely observe the score! I suppose that, in this type of repertoire, close observance of note values is not that critical if the performance communicates well, which hers does.

Regards,

If you're talkng about her playing the dotted eighths of the melody more like even eighths I certainly agree about it being different from the score. But I liked it so much I began playing them her way also.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think of someone singing (not me!) when I play The Man I Love, so I don't keep those strict note values in my Gershwin transcription either.

Check out Ella and Billie Holiday.

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD
[quote=pianoloverus]From the Gershwin Songbook mentioned above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjE...next=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21

Regards,

If you're talkng about her playing the dotted eighths of the melody more like even eighths I certainly agree about it being different from the score. But I liked it so much I began playing them her way also.

Yes. When I play it, I, too, never play it quite as literally as I would if this were Baroque or Classical notation, but I don't think I've played those notes as even eighth-notes, either. I do like Vacatello's performance; she adapts her playing to the mood, style and feeling of the piece; were she to play it literally, I think it would lose some of its seductive charm and perhaps some of its implied meaning, too.

I think that this is one case - perhaps among many - where notation in certain types of music is just an approximation of what the composer "intended"(?), and where following the score slavishly detracts from rather than improves a performance.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente
I think of someone singing (not me!) when I play The Man I Love, so I don't keep those strict note values in my Gershwin transcription either.

Check out Ella and Billie Holiday.

Daniel

Interestingly, both those singers use reasonably even eighths.

T
tjkane Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
The three preludes make a nice set. The second is indeed the easiest, especially if you take it at the stately pace used by most pianists today. But the bookend first and third are quite doable. Each offers a set of interesting technical and musical challenges.

I looked at the score for Gershwin's Prelude #3 and listened to recordings, and for me it may in fact be "doable" sans (at least to start) the extremely high tempo seen in some interpretations. I really like the syncopations in this unique work.

What, in your opinion, are the main musical and technical challenges of this piece? Any suggestions on practice in order to achieve these and really bring the piece to life?

[Note: I found an enjoyable performance of this piece at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXt6cD-SSH ]

T
tjkane Offline OP
OP Offline
T
RH or LH? Any recommendation for the low Bb in measure 20 (beat 2 1/2) of Prelude III after the run of 32nd notes with the right and the high Bb with the LH? My reflex is to reach with my right, but this may not be the most efficient way?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by tjkane
RH or LH? Any recommendation for the low Bb in measure 20 (beat 2 1/2) of Prelude III after the run of 32nd notes with the right and the high Bb with the LH? My reflex is to reach with my right, but this may not be the most efficient way?

Left hand, definitely (for me), for that B-flat. That way, the right hand stays in one position for the C-flat, D, F, A-flat, C-flat with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 fingering with no finger repeating, and the left hand has plenty of time to reach over to the B-flat.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
tjkane Offline OP
OP Offline
T
BruceD,

I agree the left hand does work best for this.
Thank you for your input!

Regards,

Tom

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Can’t resist a chuckle at the way posh classical-minded folk overlook the mighty 1920-30s output of the Gershwins (brothers George and Ira) ... and regard them as merely taboo Tin Pan Alley song-writers ... it’s a wonder that the 3 Preludes and Rhapsody in Blue have become acceptable fare in today’s elite circles.

And yet there is a goldmine for the keyboard (with lyrics) in the haunting songs which we have inherited ... here’s a copy of the first page of perhaps the most aired song of all-time ...
"Summertime"... if you haven’t yet played this masterpiece ... YOU HAVEN’T LIVED.
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by btb
Can’t resist a chuckle at the way posh classical-minded folk overlook the mighty 1920-30s output of the Gershwins (brothers George and Ira) ... and regard them as merely taboo Tin Pan Alley song-writers ... it’s a wonder that the 3 Preludes and Rhapsody in Blue have become acceptable fare in today’s elite circles.

You're making a totally erroneous assumption! No one has made any disparaging remarks, nor has anyone even brought up the works that resulted from the collaboration of George and Ira Gershwin. I'd be one of the first to acknowledge - although too many have already done it before me for me to be a first - that some of their works are among the greatest that the American Stage has experienced :
- Porgy and Bess
- Girl Crazy
- Lady Be Good
- Of Thee I Sing
to mention only (perhaps) the best-known.

The OP evidently isn't a singer and wasn't asking for vocal numbers, but original piano pieces by Gershwin.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Go easy on the assumption rot BruceD,

The motley is presently limiting the Gershwin range to the 3 Preludes ... my suggestion is intended to cast the net wider to include the Pan Alley smash hit songs.

What willful tosh to suggest that "Summertime" (first page) is for the singer ... any pianist worth his salt carries the sublime words of Du Bose Heyward in his head ... while capturing the heady deep South Afro-American atmosphere, conjured by George Gershwin.

The posh clearly haven’t lived!!

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
You have to clearly differentiate the triplets from the sixteenth notes Prelude 3 and bring out the accents. Obviously if you're going to play Prelude 3 you are going to play Prelude 1 too. But if you just opt for Prelude 2, why not play Copland for a contrast?

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission