Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1360840 - 01/29/10 11:36 AM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: cjp_piano]
jsl Offline

Hi, I am looking for a piano as well. I would like to buy either Yamah U1 or KawaiK3. Would you tell me where you bought a piano. PHone number and store name?. I live in Little Rock, AR. Since this is small city all the yamah dealer has closed and kawai dealer is very pricy.
So did you decide to buy a Kawi over Yamah?

Thank you

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1367575 - 02/06/10 11:19 PM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: Stonecutter]
denby Offline

Loc: United States
I've been looking for a replacement for my 1938 Beckwith as I have been frustrated with its sound (its got a broken board and a couple keys stick). Following the lists I decided to check out the Kawai K3. Went up to the only shop around that sells it, tried it out with my daughter and I and it sounded good. The delivery price quoted was $7100. I bit more than I thought....if it was under $5K I would have bought it on the spot.

Needless to say, I didn't buy it. Maybe take a trip to portland to see what's up down there. I hate negotiating! Like stonecutter I hope that prices haven't gone up that much in a years time.
Dennis

#1367919 - 02/07/10 02:13 PM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: Stonecutter]
choleric Offline

The K5 is a spec-per-spec closer approximation to the U1 than the K3 is. The K3 doesn't even have double-felted hammers and has one less backpost, for starters...

#1367957 - 02/07/10 02:50 PM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: choleric]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just a couple of observations on this thread:

1. A dealer "quote" on a new U1 is usually given to those who come into the store and either observe posted pricing or those who are most casual in their approach and show no buying signs that they have settled on a particular model. When a shopper shows a serious desire to purchase now, often the raps come off and the real price discussion begins. That is how and when the lower pricing emerge. It often happens that the shopper does a causual drop by his local dealership, then gets down in the dirt at one miles and miles away. Hard to understand. I always recommend folks give their local dealer every opportunity to earn their business. That said, intractable dealers that stand on high prices and are not willing to bend a little only feed the competition.

2. There is no injunction from Yamaha about not selling out of a dealer's market area. They do strongly advise against quoting pricing over the phone. Once a shopper crosses the door threshold they are fair game to be sold. Many potential customers and some dealers are still confused about this issue.

3. Recounting "deals" gotten four years ago is not terribly relevant to shoppers today. In fact it only confuses them and sets unreasonable expectations on shoppers seeking a "good deal." In spite of the political incorrectness and market softness, wholesale pricing to dealers continues to rise.

#1368278 - 02/07/10 10:56 PM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: Poisy]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Poisy - that is an excellent price for a U1, especially in California. I personally prefer "demo" pianos because they've settled in more, probably had more tunings and prep work, and you get a discount for any tiny scratches or nicks. Congratulations on your new piano and you were right to let your wife pick out the piano that she'll play. I hope she loves her Yamaha as much as I love mine.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1368416 - 02/08/10 05:27 AM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: j&j]
Stonecutter Offline

Marty hit the keyboard dead center when he commented:

"When a shopper shows a serious desire to purchase now, often the raps come off and the real price discussion begins."

Our first visit to the nearest Yamaha dealer resulted with only about a 20% discount offer from the salesman.

After more research & a few follow up conversations with the same store, we ended up with the U3 at about 40% discount one week later.

It's now in in our house & I'm fumbling around on the keyboard with the help of Alfred's book #1.

My wife is loving it! Her first in house lesson was last Thursday, and she could not be happier!

#1368477 - 02/08/10 08:51 AM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: Stonecutter]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Just so this isn't ignored by future searches, Poisy's last comment is nearly 2 years old now. I'm not sure how prices compare now.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1368914 - 02/08/10 07:30 PM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: Stonecutter]
denby Offline

Loc: United States
I hate this whole negoitating thing. I called in advance to see if they had a K3 in stock. They said they did, so I said I would be in the next day. When I arrived I told them I was the one who called. My daughter and I tried it out. When we were done I told them I liked it and wanted the best price on it. When they gave me the price I said it was too high. They couldn't do anything for me. Any suggestions on how to get the price down to a good number? $7100 is just too much.

I don't think I would survive if I had to haggle everything I buy...Its not in my thought pattern.

#1368950 - 02/08/10 08:10 PM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: denby]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I would suggest using the pricing in Piano Buyer as a negotiating tool.

Free online at www.pianobuyer.com.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2056633 - 03/30/13 01:54 AM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: Poisy]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I've been looking and trying out different pianos around ny/nj area for the past month and after long and intensive research, it all came down to Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3. I have to say that I was impressed at this 20 year old U1 I tried at a local piano store. The price was $3700 (incl tax/delivery, 1 tune up and 3 year warranty). But, I really want a brand new piano. In any case, a yamaha dealer is offering me a brand new U1 for $6400 (incl everything and 10 year warranty) and a kawai dealer quoted me $6200 all inclusive as well. At this point, I have made up my mind and I'm going for the U1 based on the sound and the responsiveness and knowing that in 20 years, it's still going to sound just as good...I'm excited! I did counter offer with the yamaha dealer ($6000 all inclusive if i pay cash)....unfortunately, she was only a sales rep and the manager was already gone for the night so I'll have to wait to find out. I sure hope I get the deal!

Edited by ElleC (03/30/13 01:55 AM)

#2056771 - 03/30/13 10:15 AM Re: Yamaha U1 and Kawai K3 price suggestion [Re: ElleC]
Pianoshopper4 Offline

My friend just closed a deal, $6000 include everything. If you don't get the deal, I will share the dealer and sales person with you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, Alkanaut, A Guy, 43 invisible), 1726 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74213 Members
42 Forums
153523 Topics
2249793 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
Today at 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:10 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission