2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sarasa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
And what about this brand: Orla, it is Italian.

Has someone tried one of these pianos?
http://www.orla.it/eng/products.asp?...79000393C807AC

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm guessing all the models in their line-up use basically the same tone generator, which appears to be fixed at 64-note polyphony.

Most new digitals are up to 128 note, with some going as high as 256.

If I'm not being too inquisitive, why are you interested in these instruments as opposed to something by more established makers like Casio, Yamaha, Roland and Kawai?

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
S
Sarasa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just because I have no more money frown

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Does someone know Orla Stage?

I think I met her once...

That crazy button accordion arranger is really something to behold!

http://www.orla.it/eng/products.asp?id=E0CE50E44DDF9846B20537AFF2F9E7D2

But the sounds are terrible. The pianos have a really short decay time, the chapel organ is too chuffy (sounds like Zamfir), the choir voice is too stretched - I could obviously go on and on.

Probably a total of 1k sample memory in there. Not their fault however - DP sample ROM is apparently more difficult to manufacture than plutonium.

Might have impressed someone fifteen years ago.

S
Sarasa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok, apparently it is not a serious option...

Thanks for your responses

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarasa
Ok, apparently it is not a serious option...

Not necessarily, Dewster is notoriously critical of DP sounds and would probably say much the same about Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Casio sounds.

They sounded OK to me, the pianos certainly aren't the best available but the best are also a lot more expensive than these - presumably anyway I haven't been able to find a price. They use Fatar actions too which are good quality.

More important though, what do you think of the sounds, it's you who will be playing and listening to them after all! They seem to be an established make for organs if not pianos. If you can find some to try I'd at least consider them but I'd be cautious about buying unseen!

BTW 64 note polyphony is lowish by todays standards but it's OK, the Korg SP250 only has 60 note but it's a very nice instrument.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BazC
Dewster is notoriously critical of DP sounds and would probably say much the same about Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Casio sounds.

No disrespect, but no, no, a thousand times NO! The piano sound on any decent Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Casio, etc. is 1000% better than what I'm hearing on the Orla sample page. I mean, listen to that piano, the decay drops like a rock and they are doing their best to cover it up with quick notes and lots of key-up / pedal-up damping. It's just atrocious.

In fact, all of the sounds on the Orlas are some of the worst, cheesiest sounding patches I've ever heard on anything. I'm talking 8-bit Fairlight territory *shudder*.

Help me out here people, this isn't just me doing my usual rant, go to this page and see if you can find anything that you would ever want to intentionally listen to for ANY length of time:

http://www.orla.it/eng/audio.asp

They use Fatar actions too which are good quality.

I thought Fatar was an almost universally hated piano action?

More important though, what do you think of the sounds, it's you who will be playing and listening to them after all! They seem to be an established make for organs if not pianos. If you can find some to try I'd at least consider them but I'd be cautious about buying unseen!

Excellent advice.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
http://www.youtube.com/user/MusikSchmidt#p/search/0/ty172NSKqAU

Decent stereo demo of it...I've heard a lot worse!

Steve

PS, have just played some of the demos on Orla's site, link posted by Dewster above...some of the sounds are excruciating!

Last edited by EssBrace; 01/26/10 12:52 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
No disrespect, but no, no, a thousand times NO! The piano sound on any decent Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Casio, etc. is 1000% better than what I'm hearing on the Orla sample page. I mean, listen to that piano, the decay drops like a rock and they are doing their best to cover it up with quick notes and lots of key-up / pedal-up damping. It's just atrocious.

Yes but you said the same thing about the piano on the Korg SP250 which many consider to be a great sounding piano. I'd agree the Orla piano doesn't sound good but if Sarasa is on a tight budget (and they apparently are) and these are cheap they might be worth considering. Actually I quite like the Piano2/Honky Tonk voice and the organs. The church organ doesn't sound remotely like a pipe organ but it's still quite a nice noise.

As for Fatar I have no experience of them but I was advised on a couple of forums and via reviews that Fatar/Studiologic make good controllers and supply quality actions to other manufacturers.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Korg uses Fatar actions, which is one of the reasons I avoid them.

They used to use Yamaha actions, back when Yamaha bought 40% of Korg's stock, and Korg even produced a few FM synths at that time.

Nowadays, and back on their own, they've taken a step backwards (no doubt to cut costs} and gone to using Fatar.

Not a good move, I'm afraid.

Snazzy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

Interesting, I'd not heard that can you reveal your source? I'd heard rumours that they used Yamaha actions but I've also heard it disputed.

Incidentally, from my reading the Korg RH3 keyboard is generally rated as excellent especially for the price.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For instance, I believe pretty much everyone knocks Nord for using Fatar actions.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

Interesting, I'd not heard that can you reveal your source? I'd heard rumours that they used Yamaha actions but I've also heard it disputed.

Incidentally, from my reading the Korg RH3 keyboard is generally rated as excellent especially for the price.

Several music dealers have told me about Korg's move to Fatar...one of the contributors to another forum (Synth Zone) I'm on is a dealer, and he confirmed it as well.

The Korg M1 used a Yamaha keybed (DX-7's) as did their 88 note weighted action(but not hammer) T1 and subsequent models(similar to Yamaha's KX-88).

They have been slowly replacing the Yamaha actions on their other instruments.

I thought most people knew that Korg used Fatar. The biggest drawback from outsourcing, is the lack of control over quality.

Snazzy

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes but you said the same thing about the piano on the Korg SP250 which many consider to be a great sounding piano.

It's all relative.

Most, if not all, DP piano sounds aren't very good compared to what the same or less money can get you on a PC (the dewster's v1.0 rant).

The SP250 piano sound isn't very good compared to other DPs in its price range (IMO).

The Orla piano sound isn't very good compared to anything in any price range, down to and almost including free toys (IMO). To me, it sounds almost as bad as the SoundFont piano used by the Windows MIDI player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission