2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank

Ah yes - how refreshing that the snobbish elite are always so dependable in their offended reactions and can always be counted on to take advantage of every opportunity to sniff indignantly, scoff sarcastically and generally look down their long, upturned noses at the mere mention of this "trite, overplayed and overrated populist piece of hackneyed music". smile

JF

JF, I really appreciate how you defend this masterpiece time-and-time again. I don't think it's never been criticized on the ABF, but I've seen it criticized in other places as exactly what you state: "trite, overplayed and overrated populist piece of hackneyed music". Anyway, it's a big deal for some of us adult beginners to learn and it's a great "intermediate study" of how to really play classical music.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
stores:

You seem to really know your "stuff." My response to the Elise question was based on what Herhsey Felder (who spent several years researching Beethoven's life, and who is currently appearing in a one-man musical play called: "Beethoven, As I Knew Him" - across the country to rave reviews.) He has also "done" Chopin and Gershwin to the very same reviews.

After Felder's performance in the Beethoven play, someone in the audience asked him who Elise was. And his answer was basically what I wrote. I know just a little about Beethoven's life athough I am a big fan of his music. But I had to reply on Mr. Felder's knowledge, considering all the reasearch he had done.

If you don't mind, I would like to post this topic in the Chopin thread because perhaps Dr. Kallberg can shed some light some the subject even if he is known as THE expert on Chopin.

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 01/27/10 09:06 AM.

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Nikolas
if you hit alt+numbers you get all the different symboles you need:

é: 131
ù: 151
ö: 148
etc, etc... (the above with the alt pressed down and then releasing).

FùÖ¥Ær Elise! laugh

There's no number pad on my laptop, I use Character Map.
-

C
C
Is this Elise?

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
You might be interested in knowing that that piece was not written "For Elise." There was no such person in Beethoven's life. Because his writting was so sloppy and difficult to read, the publishers just took a guess at what the title was. They very well just made it up for something to call it.

Kathleen

While Beethoven's penmanship, did, leave much to be desired, there's no evidence supporting this theory at all. It's long been thought that Therese Malfatti (to whom Beethoven proposed), was the intended dedicatee, but no one really knows for certain, and the manuscript itself has long been lost (all that now exists is a sketch fragment). There is a theory that Elise, was, Elisabeth Roeckel (soprano and wife of Hummel). At the christening of Roeckel's first child, her name is given as, "Maria Eva Elise". It's known that she and Beethoven had a close relationship at least at one time. The Beethoven-Haus, apparently, will be publishing an article this year expounding on the theory. While it will probably never be known for certain, who, exactly Elise, was, one thing is for sure...Beethoven, would be an incredibly wealthy man, if he were alive today and drawing royalties off his bagatelle.

Here's the only thing Grove Music Online has to say on this (from the works list):

WoO59 Bagatelle 'Für Elise' 1808/1810 Lost autograph possibly inscribed 'Für Therese' i.e. Therese Malfatti.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
it's a gorgeous piece.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Crippy
Is this Elise?

Yes, that's her.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not only WAS there an Elise, student of Beethoven, but there were TWO ELise's who were his students. They were cousins - and because their parents were both twins, they were 'identical cousins' and Beethoven had the darndest time telling them apart. At first he had them wear color-coded dirndles, but they got a kick out of mixing them up - and mixing Beethoven up but the Maestro could usually tell them apart once they started playing.

Now it was an especially cold and snowy winter in Vienna that year (which year?) and the girls had to bundle up to keep their hands warm on their way over to Beethoven's place. If their fingers froze and became stiff they knew they were in for it from Ludwig who would scold them mercilessly on their slovenly playing. One of the Elise cousins took to wearing a fur muff on her hands, and the other would carry steins of hot chocolate to her lesson - both to try and keep their hands warm. The short piece which Beethoven wrote for the 'fur' Elise - by which he could tell from the difficult runs in the middle who she was - has survived. THe other short piece "Schokolade Elisa' has sadly perished in the mists of time.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Quite the interesting history lesson Schubertian! wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Schubertian
Not only WAS there an Elise, student of Beethoven, but there were TWO ELise's who were his students. They were cousins - and because their parents were both twins, they were 'identical cousins' and Beethoven had the darndest time telling them apart. At first he had them wear color-coded dirndles, but they got a kick out of mixing them up - and mixing Beethoven up but the Maestro could usually tell them apart once they started playing.

Now it was an especially cold and snowy winter in Vienna that year (which year?) and the girls had to bundle up to keep their hands warm on their way over to Beethoven's place. If their fingers froze and became stiff they knew they were in for it from Ludwig who would scold them mercilessly on their slovenly playing. One of the Elise cousins took to wearing a fur muff on her hands, and the other would carry steins of hot chocolate to her lesson - both to try and keep their hands warm. The short piece which Beethoven wrote for the 'fur' Elise - by which he could tell from the difficult runs in the middle who she was - has survived. THe other short piece "Schokolade Elisa' has sadly perished in the mists of time.

That's all correct. Furthermore, given the high mortality rates of that age, the families were stricken with a deep concern lest one of the Elises should tragically succumb to one of the many ailments that rampaged throughout the populace. By agreeing to name both girls "Elise", the two families found a hedge of insurance against the unthinkable prospect of being bereaved of an only Elise.

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not only could the musical cousins wear the same clothes, but since they had the same names, they could pass in the same homework, eat the same birthday cakes, and date the same boyfriend! A darker note is suggested when Viennese driving records show that Fur Elise made Chocolate Elise pay the fine when she got caught on a DUI citation.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A darker note is suggested when Viennese driving records show that Fur Elise made Chocolate Elise pay the fine when she got caught on a DUI citation.

Driving what? A coach and four?

Or driving Beethoven mad?

Short trip.

One way.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I always find an umlaut and paste and copy viz Ü. I'm not sure I'd bother for that piece though.
With a Mac an umlaut is option-u, then type the letter you want the umlaut on (u,a,o) ü ä ö smile

Thanks, you just saved me the trouble of typing that. laugh wink

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not only WAS there an Elise, student of Beethoven, but there were TWO ELise's who were his students.

great history lesson. ha

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have in my possession a CD that might shed some light on the history of this piece, as well as settle the song vs. piece debate. The CD is entitled "Beethoven's Wig: Sing-Along Symphonies," which I purchased yesterday to help the youngsters in my group music classes learn about classical music. Sing the following lyrics to the theme of Für Elise:

Here's a short Beethoven piece
He wrote this piece just for Elise
It's all about a fellow named Maurice
Who came from Greece with a valise
Maurice loved Beethoven's piano piece
He loved this piece more than Elise
And nobody could keep it from Maurice
He fleeced Elise and took her piece
He did her wrong, he took her song
It's all he cared for all along
And when Elise saw that Maurice
Had fleeced her piece she called the police
They found the piece in the valise
They all went to the Justice of the Peace
Who sent Maurice right back to Greece
It was all right to her delight
Elise can play her piece all night
And if you hear Beethoven's piece
Played by your nephew or your niece
Nephew or niece perform this piece
Please tell them to remember that this piece
This little piece is for Elise.

That should clear up the matter.

Sincerely,

Heidiv, PhD*
(Purveyor of humorous Deceit) wink

Last edited by heidiv; 01/28/10 10:14 AM.
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Gosh, all I can add is that I have been wonderfully informed and highly amused. But, in the end, I still hate that piece. mad And I don't give a darn how to spell it. smirk

All all you are super!

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
heidiv: this was AWESOME! LOL!

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

FùÖ¥Ær Elise! laugh

Wow, how about that. Nikolas, would you know where to gind a listing of these all of these sorts of symbols?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Did Maurice from Greece take the piece from the furry Elise or the chocolate Elise?

Don't click here!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano

FùÖ¥Ær Elise! laugh

Wow, how about that. Nikolas, would you know where to gind a listing of these all of these sorts of symbols?

Just google ALT character and you'll find whole sites providing numerical sequences
All the best...Storesâ„¢ haha

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission