2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I’m working full time now .. and the pieces I'm studying are,” two timing” and “croation rhap.”

Both are pretty long and I'm wondering how long this is going to take to for these to complete to a good level of palying..(4weeks)maybe at minimum.

I’m fatigued a little at the end of a day so I only practice
30 min every day;
I don't’ know how else to do this....but i guess I'll work something out as time moves on ...any experience with study time appreciated.

I hate during all that time not to move forward, anyone think it would be negative to “scantly” practice
forward lessons just for learning technique?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Are you able to get longer sessions in on weekends? Can you try practicing in the mornings?

This semester I practice before I leave the house in the mornings, and since I start earlier on Mon, Wed and Fri, those days I only tend to get about 30-45 minutes of practice. But on Tues and Thurs, I get between 90-120 minutes.. And on the weekends, usually I do a two hour practice one of the days and a shorter practice the other.

I find that having a few days where I have more practice time helps because I can do more progressive work (like focusing on a new section) in a longer practice session, and then work on cementing it during shorter practice sessions. I don't think I'd feel as positive about my practice if all my sessions were 30 minutes long.

Whatever you do, try to get to the piano as many times a week as possible. More frequent practice sessions about better than fewer, longer ones.

And don't feel bad if your pieces are taking a long time, that's how it goes. You might want to choose a piece that will be faster to work through, to balance out the more time-consuming pieces.

Good Luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
P.S. I am not moving through Croatian Rhapsody very quickly, but I am not really in a hurry with that piece.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the advice, I think will plan alternate times with some being longer periods of practice.
What I also was thinking about was this:
If it’d effective to “mentally practice” measure by measure when I can ( I’m on the road alot ....not a trucker; in business- sort of )by memorizing 1 measure by measure then imagining the fingering until I know that mentally... perhaps doing each measure verbally into a tape recorder. then pausing etc, etc. until I know it.
Because while driving I really don’t have to think about anyway..

L
L
Originally Posted by pianonewbie1
Thanks for the advice, I think will plan alternate times with some being longer periods of practice.
If it’d effective to “mentally practice” measure by measure when I can ( I’m on the road alot ....not a trucker; in business- sort of )by memorizing 1 measure by measure then imagining the fingering until I know that mentally... perhaps doing each measure verbally into a tape recorder. then pausing etc, etc. until I know it.

Yes, you are right,longer periods of practice is good!

Originally Posted by pianonewbie1

Yes, that's very good. And also try listen to recordings, both of the pieces you are learning and of other interesting music, while you drive. That is both ispiring and helpful for practice!

It's not only about practising longer. Try to practice just 20 minutes one evening... Then take a break and do something else and get back for 20 more minutes. That way you will have more energy when you do sit at the piano, and add 10 minutes without noticing it. Or try to practice 15 minutes before work, and then the 30 minutes in the evening.

For example, when you are tired in the evening session you could decide that: ok I need to sort this difficult section out, lets do that in the morning session tomorrow when I am more alert. And continue to play something that requires a little less focus.

Last edited by Basia C.; 01/28/10 08:10 AM.

Nothing is accomplished without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission