Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
115 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, ando, Alexander Borro, 36251, 33 invisible), 1619 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#136067 - 05/10/03 08:23 PM Wing and Son
PWillis Offline

Loc: Central Kentucky
Hi
I have a wing and son improved grand scale 1926. Serial number A 49769. Can anyone tell me anything about it. I am moving and wish to sell it. Not sure what it is worth. It is in good condition externally but needs some hammer work and tuning. Never got around to it and have had it for 4 years. Time to let someone who will fix it give it a home.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#136068 - 05/10/03 10:07 PM Re: Wing and Son
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
I'm assuming this is an upright, in spite of the "grand scale" thing from inside on the plate. How many pedals does it have?

#136069 - 05/14/03 09:47 PM Re: Wing and Son
PWillis Offline

Larry
Yes upright and it has 3 pedals.

#136070 - 05/14/03 09:57 PM Re: Wing and Son
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Wing & Sons made some very interesting pianos. Usually the cases on them are quite ornate or detailed. The insides were very well made as well. It is one of the few old uprights that I consider to possibly be worth rebuilding. Doing so will *still* be a financially unsound move, because even an old Wing & Son isn't going to bring you a return equal to cost of restoration. But the piano that results, if done well, can be quite satisfying.

My advice - find a *quality* rebuilder. Do not look for the guy with the cheapest price - look for the guy with the reputation for quality - and have him evaluate the condition of the piano to see if the piano is worth saving. Bear in mind - there are plenty of "rebuilders" out there who will point to *anything* and tell you it is worth rebuilding if they think they can make a buck off you. Look for the guy who doesn't want the work because he's too busy.

I recently restored one for a lady who in spite of my repeated attempts to talk her out of it. The job cost her 12K. She is happy as a clam. The piano is nowhere near worth that kind of money. But to her, it was a bargain. If I had cut corners though, it wouldn't have been worth it at all.

#136071 - 05/16/03 08:22 AM Re: Wing and Son
PWillis Offline

I am not looking to restore the wing and son I just wish to sell it before I have to move it again. I just bought a house and will be moving in MId June. I was just wondering what might be a fair asking price for it.

#136072 - 05/16/03 09:10 AM Re: Wing and Son
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

As it is, maybe 100-200 bucks.

#136073 - 05/16/03 11:10 AM Re: Wing and Son
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
An old piano is only worth anything if it plays right, and if it doesn't need a whole lot of work before it'll play right.

What do you mean by "needs some hammer and tuning work"? What does it sound like? What does it play like (the action, etc.)? What was its tuning history--how often has it been tuned over the years? Does it have trouble staying in tune? Are there weird clicking or buzzing noises coming from the inside? Are there stuck keys, or silent keys? How long since it was last tuned? What was its history? Has it been well-maintained over the years, or has it just been sitting in the same living room, untuned, since 1926? Has it ever been stored in a damp basement, or in a hot stuffy attic, or, heaven help us, a garage?

All these questions have to be answered before you can get a realistic appraisal of how much it's worth.

Generally speaking, Larry is probably in the ballpark, if this piano isn't in *that* good a shape. If it'll need a lot of work before it'll play right, then yeah, you're not looking at a whole lot of money from selling it.

If you really want to make sure that it gets a good home, and that you get a fair market value for it, you should definitely get a piano tech to come look at it and give you a serious appraisal of what kind of shape it's in and how much you can expect to get for it.

#136074 - 05/16/03 09:43 PM Re: Wing and Son
PWillis Offline

Thanks for the advise guys I really appreciate it but unfortunately, I have very limited time in which to accomplish my goal. As for condition it has several stuck keys and it is has not been tuned since I have had it which is 4 years. Since I have no expertise what so ever in this matter I can't even begin to guess what it is worth. Again I just need to get rid of it so I am not forced to move it 2 times. The house I am moving into just will not accomodate it. I guess I just need to find someone who would want it cheap.

#136075 - 05/16/03 09:55 PM Re: Wing and Son
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
BTW, Pierce Piano Atlas places your piano's manufacture date at 1922. She's even more ancient than you thought.

Have mercy on somebody, and list it in the classifieds as, "FREE PIANO."

Whoever gets it will probably have to pay more than it's worth just to move it out of your place. \:\)

-Jimbo

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Forum Stats
77369 Members
42 Forums
160011 Topics
2349808 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission