2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
"be not attached to the fruits of your action; your commitment is to action alone."

with that said here's a link to my offerings:

http://www.youtube.com/user/edkriege

caveat emptor -- i've been playing about 10 years as an adult beginner (plus a year or two as a kid). given the effort to climb these 'mountains' i wanted to have a record of summiting, albeit clumsily. hence, a Zoom Q3 for christmas and away we go.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Great playing! I love it! Wonderful feeling.

Probably my favorite quote from the Bhagavad Gita BTW. Were I a soldier I think I would carry that book into battle.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Very well played!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Loved it! Gorgeous! Particularly liked the position of the camera as well.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I loved it -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
new addition - Scarlatti Sonata L454 in C major:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsOI213U8M

Zoom Q3 location certainly more visually interesting, but audio quality takes a hit. Any preferences regarding Q3 location? thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My favourite:

Seeing your infinite form with many mouths, eyes, arms, thighs, feet, stomachs, and many fearful teeth; the worlds are trembling with fear and so do I, O mighty Lord. (11.23)

As moths rush with great speed into the blazing flame for destruction, similarly all these people are rapidly rushing into Your mouths for destruction. (11.29)

You are licking up all the worlds with Your flaming mouths, swallowing them from all sides. Your powerful radiance is burning the entire universe, and filling it with splendor, O Krishna

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
latest addition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xXsyNVqWx4

Q3 back on the piano's plate; much better audio quality there.

now back to work...

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
...Delightful Young Girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFahXm6-X8

i really struggle with the leaps... but it'll have to do for now.

Entheo #1356227 01/23/10 12:13 PM
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
{removing double entry}

Last edited by Entheo; 01/23/10 12:55 PM.
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Kp. 380, Longo 23. This sonata is (or should be) delightfully light yet it's deceptively difficult -- I can see why it's required in so many piano performance juries! Plenty of rough edges to work on, but for now my humble offering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVAceg4TFU

BTW, don't be shy about offering your constructive criticisms -- I'm a big boy and my identity isn't too closely tied to the piano! wink

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Entheo
Kp. 380, Longo 23. This sonata is (or should be) delightfully light yet it's deceptively difficult -- I can see why it's required in so many piano performance juries! Plenty of rough edges to work on, but for now my humble offering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVAceg4TFU

BTW, don't be shy about offering your constructive criticisms -- I'm a big boy and my identity isn't too closely tied to the piano! wink

Very nice! My only quibble is that sometimes you are using too much damper pedal and blurring the delicate figurations, particularly at the beginning. Love this sonata, BTW. Have you heard Horowitz play it?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

Very nice! My only quibble is that sometimes you are using too much damper pedal and blurring the delicate figurations, particularly at the beginning. Love this sonata, BTW. Have you heard Horowitz play it?

thank you horowitzian. yes too much damper pedal but it's insurance against my poor technique shocked . and yes, i've listened to horowitz's moscow '86 performance umpteen times -- simply gorgeous. another wonderful interpretation is alexander ghindin's (on youtube). cheers.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

thank you horowitzian. yes too much damper pedal but it's insurance against my poor technique shocked . and yes, i've listened to horowitz's moscow '86 performance umpteen times -- simply gorgeous. another wonderful interpretation is alexander ghindin's (on youtube). cheers.

No problem! smile

The Scarlatti he played in Moscow was wonderful. thumb However, nothing beats these breathtakingly beautiful sonatas he played at the '68 TV concert.

....Very nice! My only quibble is that sometimes you are using too much damper pedal and blurring the delicate figurations, particularly at the beginning. Love this sonata, BTW. Have you heard Horowitz play it?

Horowitz is how I discovered this piece, and it was my first introduction to Scarlatti. Before that, "Scarlatti" was barely a name to me and I had no idea who or what he was.

Entheo: I don't think there's too much pedal (at all, really). I think this is TERRIFIC -- truly superb, no exaggeration.
Let me put it this way: I play the piece, and this is better than what I do, so I certainly hope it's real good. ha

.....yes too much damper pedal.....

I cast a vote for not using any less.

.....it's insurance against my poor technique shocked .....

Get outta here!!! ha

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
FYI: "Too much pedal" to me means blurring the notes, of which there was a little in Entheo's recording. Horowitz, IIRC, drew the ire of purists for even daring to touch the pedal while playing Scarlatti. I don't think anyone can argue with the end result. smile

.....Horowitz, IIRC, drew the ire of purists for even daring to touch the pedal while playing Scarlatti. I don't think anyone can argue with the end result. smile

I sure wouldn't, but would you believe......On another site, there's a very knowledgeable (but somewhat provocative) music buff who said (and I quote): "Horowitz sucks at Scarlatti." Fortunately I've never come across any view like that before, and I hope I never will again. ha

I didn't know that Horowitz or anyone ever was particularly criticized for using pedal in Scarlatti, but to the extent that there's a (fairly small) school of thought that you should "never" use pedal for music of that period, I wouldn't be surprised if there have been some such voices.

BTW......for all the bigger great stuff that Horowitz is more well known for, IMO his Scarlatti is maybe the very most remarkable of anything he played. IMO the only challengers would be Stars & Stripes Forever and a particular Chopin mazurka. Although little else he did would be very far behind.

Online Content
I think the performance of L.123 could use some more dynamic contrast and shaping of the phrases(talking about the OP and not Horowitz here). I thought that the melody in the part where the RH plays the F#C# motive was too soft... especilly the top note.

Besides Horowitz I like Pletnev, Pogorelich, Gilels, and Maria Tipo for Scarlatti. Too bad Scarlatti is a relative rarity in recitals. I've only heard it played in a few. Perhaps the most memorable was by Maria Tipo who played the 4 Chopin Ballades followed by 12 Scarlatti Sonatas at the Met Museum of Art a long time ago.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/31/10 07:53 PM.
Boy, you people are tough! ha

But I'm wondering if maybe y'all don't much disagree on how basically wonderful it is, and are just offering things to make it even better or more to your taste.

Am I alone in thinking this is top-notch?
(And even if I am, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) smile

It's a tremendous performance. And I'm usually not easy to please on Scarlatti.

BTW.....in my experience, Scarlatti isn't rare on recital programs. To some extent it's probably because the performers that I'm interested in would tend to be people who like Scarlatti. But that's not the whole thing, because a lot of what I attend isn't concerts by performers that I particularly choose.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission