2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#136241 04/15/08 08:52 PM
OP Offline
The new piano arrives tomorrow! (Yeah!) The movers are also moving the old piano into another room for us. The dealer is paying them. Should I tip them? How much?

#136242 04/15/08 09:01 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
$40 apiece? $20 apiece MINIMUM (assuming two).

They aren't overpaid I can assure you. Make sure you give the tip to each individual mover.

People who tip well get good karma and may get a free return trip if you decide to put the piano at another angle or something.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
#136243 04/16/08 06:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Tipping a piano mover is totally optional, but many people do it in the Philly area for our movers.

(But then, our movers are truly outstanding!)

$20. to $40. per man is not uncommon.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
#136244 04/16/08 11:49 AM
We had recently a grand piano move out of heck - nice people but - no tips!!

Luckily we have a slash fund in the office.....

Norbert wink

#136245 04/16/08 01:28 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Norbert:
We had recently a grand piano move out of heck - nice people but - no tips!!

Luckily we have a slash fund in the office.....

Norbert wink
Why not just 'pay them more'? confused

----

Getting my MH AA in here was not easy for two men (plus store mgr). It weighs a ton! But I had forewarned that I had bumpy granite stepping stones for a walkway, AND the two granite steps.

However, they showed up with only 2 men, no lift on the truck, no plywood or boards to help with them move across the 20 ft of house front and 10 to the side door - and I felt just terrible with what they had to do. The piano moving board kept getting stuck on the uneven granite stones, so they had to heft it. The Poor Guys.

But, I felt that I had done what I could from this end to let them know. Maybe there was a communication problem somewhere. ???

I had their $20 each tip ready, but really felt badly that it turned out harder for them without the equipment needed.

In the landscape business (mine), someone always has plywood boards to get across lawns with heavy carts/trees/shrubs/etc. I just cannot imagine that it is not part of the standard equipment for piano movers.

Might I suggest that movers keep plywood or heavy boards available on their trucks - just in case?

I also loved the thread about that stair climber that is automatic. I forgot what it is called.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
#136246 04/16/08 01:58 PM
My SP178 weighs something like 800 lbs. and the two guys who moved it in had to take it up a flight of stairs to my upstairs living room.

There was a miscommunication with their dispatcher I guess - they are always supposed to have three people (sometimes four) for a move like that. The look on their faces when they realized what was ahead of them told the whole story. I offered to add some muscle but one of them looked at me with the world-weary eye of a pro and advised me that the opportunity for me to be injured was higher than the likelihood that my efforts would really help them. I also said it was okay with me if they needed to come back another day. Instead they started planning and strategizing each step of the move, and with no small amount of brute effort, they got it in place, no damage to piano or themselves.

It took about 120 agonizing seconds to move that vertical ten feet, after which the two of them were perspiring heavily and flushed. I gave them each a glass of water, and they seemed surprised at this small consideration (are most customers not so empathetic?).

After they finished meticulously setting up the piano, including positioning it just as prescribed, I dug into my pocket and gave them all the bills I had (about $50). The move was free with the piano but their willingness to go beyond the ordinary had ensured my piano arrived the day promised, and their super-human effort was pretty darn inspiring to an office worker like me.

On their way out, I asked if they were done for the day (it was 5 PM), and was told no, they had one more piano to deliver - their EIGHTH delivery of the day.

Who wouldn't tip pros like that? thumb

#136247 04/16/08 02:02 PM
S
S
I would never in my life tip a piano mover. They set their price. It cost 900 dollars to get a piano here from Maryland. They did their job professionally, and they were nice guys. I assume professionalism and courtesy were already part of the 900 bucks.

#136248 04/16/08 06:30 PM
OP Offline
Our guys (there were four) did a great job and were just very nice as well. They all got a nice fat tip.

#136249 04/16/08 06:41 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I believe tipping movers is the right thing to do.

I've just recently stopped tipping cows. :rolleyes:

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
#136250 04/16/08 09:13 PM
B
B
When our new Fandrich arrived, the guys did such a superb job I tipped them $50 AND lunch.

Bob

#136251 04/16/08 10:53 PM
D
dv Offline
D
Here in the midwest, $20-40 per guy seems excessive; I usually pony up at least $10 per man. These guys are NOT overpaid, and generally love talking pianos!

#136252 04/16/08 11:51 PM
DV -- Where can I find one of those "talking pianos"? wink

Mason & Hamlin A (2006); Yamaha P140
#136253 04/17/08 10:21 AM
J
J
Originally posted by Bear 1:
I believe tipping movers is the right thing to do.

I've just recently stopped tipping cows. :rolleyes:

Bear
Aaaah!!! Stole my joke.

#136254 04/25/08 12:10 PM
I still tip cows. It's just soooo funny!

Just kidding. Tip good workers. I have no idea what the region of the country has to do with it. Most moves are done with 2 man crews. $40-$50 for both should be sufficient.

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,
20 Year Industry Experience

"Tell the truth, honor God, and make money!"
#136255 04/25/08 09:00 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I've just recently stopped tipping cows.

Bear - thats cute.

It reminds of the young man that decided to make his living as a Mohel.

The pay was terrible, but he always got a tip.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
#136256 04/25/08 09:36 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
[b]I've just recently stopped tipping cows.

Bear - thats cute.

It reminds of the young man that decided to make his living as a Mohel.

The pay was terrible, but he always got a tip. [/b]
Rich,

That's priceless. "He always got a tip." LOL smile

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
E
E
I would suggest tipping in most cases, at least $20-40. If they are movers working for a company they are obviously not getting the full $900 quoted above but rather an hourly or per job wage just like a waitress at a restaurant is not getting paid based on the cost of your meal.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
D&E Movers brought my piano just a couple days ago. I was wondering the same. I offered them each a Coke or Sprite, and all three accepted one. They moved the piano into the place I asked. Pulled the keyboard out because something had shifted during the move and was blocking the fallboard. But when the work was done, they left in a flash--I couldn't have tipped them if I wanted to. It's like they vanished. I literally chased the last guy out through the garage. They leapt in their truck and bolted.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

T
T
Tip commensurate with your experience. Be ready in case it's great -- but have small bills in case it's not?

I was poorly prepared. My piano movers were not just brilliant and perfect -- it was apparent that the lead guy knew his stuff. He was a person of few words, but the ones he used counted. He likes my manufacturer, and gave me some super interesting facts. So I asked him whether I should wait to play it, and how long I should wait to have it tuned. I'm glad I did. I started right in playing it, and scheduled the tune for 3+ weeks out. For a tip I only had ten bucks in my bag -- which I gave him wholeheartedly; but I was embarrassed to have had so little cash on hand for the purpose. The lead guy was extremely gracious, and even said it had been their easiest move of the day -- but if I'd planned better I would have tipped the 3-guy crew twenty bucks apiece. Seriously. At that moment I was turning over in my head how far to the nearest ATM,and even now I cringe a little to think about it.

We have like 3 steps, and there was no schlep through the house, bitey dog, or breakables to navigate through -- I had spiked the location of the piano with tape on the floor. But h0ly cr@p. My piano weighs >800 lbs.

I would recommend my movers to anyone in the Chicagoland area needing a piano moved. Message me if you'd like their info. They're licensed, bonded, etc., and as I said, they know what they're doing. Timing-wise they *are* a bit like the appliance repair people -- you schedule and hope, then the day before the event they tell you the real time. (For pickup, my guys arrived @ 'real time' On. The. Dot.) "Real time" might be nothing like the 'scheduled' time; but coordinating a bunch of mutually unfamiliar people -- and traffic, and road construction -- is tricky around here. It was one day; the instrument will be mine for years and years and years. Just take the day off work and don't look back. I did. No regrets.

My new tech is coming Monday. Time has crawled. I've drunk adult beverages, read stupid literature, binge-watched TV series episodes, & applied for a job, just to bludgeon time. I am grateful for this topic, because it reminds me that I should report my positive experience to my tech so he knows that my movers still live up to their reputation.

Disclaimer: I'm a librarian. No affiliation, no stake -- plain old customer.

Last edited by thorn_was_taken; 10/05/13 02:26 AM.

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by U S A P T
$40 apiece? $20 apiece MINIMUM (assuming two).

They aren't overpaid I can assure you. Make sure you give the tip to each individual mover.

People who tip well get good karma and may get a free return trip if you decide to put the piano at another angle or something.

While I agree with a healthy tip, at the slightest trace of the thought that you might get something for free in return, karma goes right out the window.
If, out of their gratitude (not to be confused with karma), they all turn up for a free visit, do you tip them again?

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission