Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1364288 - 02/02/10 08:02 PM Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
This just in...

LONDON-The richest headhunt ever seen in classical music has ended with the world's most coveted pianist switching teams at a critical moment for the industry.

The Chinese musician Lang Lang, 27, has signed for Sony Classical for $3 million, an executive familiar with the move at his old label Deutsche Grammophon told me. A Sony spokeswoman in London said that the company wouldn't comment.

Lang Lang is credited with an explosion of music teaching in his own country, where more than 40 million children are said to be taking private piano lessons. A tinkling of Ravel can be heard from high-rises in boomtown Tianjin.

You can read the rest at http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/b...t=entertainment

#1364291 - 02/02/10 08:09 PM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: eweiss]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
$3Million! Wow, those are surely rock star figures. And he doesn't even play the guitar. smile

#1364292 - 02/02/10 08:14 PM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: jazzyprof]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Yeah ... and he's only 27. Not bad. Not bad at all.

#1364488 - 02/03/10 01:10 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: eweiss]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
I mentioned this to one of my concert pianist friends, the reply...

When CBS Masterworks (now Sony Classical) stole Karajan from DG, he died. When they stole Horowitz from DG, he died. I hope Lang Lang has longer life than that!
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1364539 - 02/03/10 03:39 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: Piano World]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Sellout. If there's one pianist in this world that I can't stand it's Lang. I should ask the people I know at UMS what his concert fee is now...maybe it's approaching Mutter-like proportions from a few years back. Whatever it is, it's too much. You know something is amiss when Lang's own teacher at Curtis, Gary Graffman, states that, had Schumann, heard Lang's interpretation of his music, he would have had a heart attack. It's no coincidence that DG "dropped" Yundi Li. Lang's self-admitted aim to be number one (something that should be found in sports and not music), had much to do with Li's dismissal ("him, or me"... Lang went so far as to have orchestras barred from playing with Li in the same season as he), as well as Li's refusal to give in to crossover repertoire of the kind Lang plays so often. From an interview with Lang in BBC magazine in '08 "... asked how he rates his coeval Yundi Li, I'm greeted with a complete change of facial expression and a firm "no comment". I suppose, a little emperor must countenance no rivals." I've turned down free tickets to hear him and have no intention of ever changing my mind.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1364546 - 02/03/10 03:45 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: stores
Sellout. If there's one pianist in this world that I can't stand it's Lang.....

Huh.......you're on a first-name-basis with him? ha

I wonder how he knows if someone's calling him by first or last name. I guess it's by tone of voice.
If he has a good ear. smile

Like, if someone says, "Lang......" -- that's first name.
If they go "LANG!!!!!" -- that's last name. ha

#1364590 - 02/03/10 05:24 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
[quote=stores]
If he has a good ear. smile

Which, clearly, from his playing he doesn't. Yeah, I guess everyone is on a first name basis with him, eh? ha

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1364591 - 02/03/10 05:27 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: stores]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

You know, actually, I should amend my first comment, since Lang sold out long before this new deal.

♪ ≠ $

#1368352 - 02/08/10 12:49 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: stores]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: stores
If there's one pianist in this world that I can't stand it's Lang.

I don't like him either. If I look for something on YouTube I completely ignore his performances and rather choose another pianist, no matter what the ratings of his performances are... I just cannot stand him.

Music is my best friend.

#1372587 - 02/13/10 11:51 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: ChopinAddict]
Elena-Margarita Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Putting his ego aside, would you say Lang Lang is talented and deserves the accolades?

#1377832 - 02/19/10 02:54 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: Elena-Margarita]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Hummmmmm, thinking...thinking...no. How do clowns like Bang Bang get contracts! Sure he can play a few thinks ok, but honestly their are far far far far far far far better pianist in the world!

Then again he caters to the ignorant and that's why he's famous. I guess it's simply a matter of who sells the most and Lang Lang sells. I guess we can't be mad at him. We can only sigh at the thought of a whole generation getting influenced by such a distorted view of the classics.

#1377932 - 02/19/10 07:04 AM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: MikeN]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

stores if you were offered $3 million you'd take it and be a sellout too. And so would ALL of us. Every musician who hit it big could be called a sellout. Kenny G, Diana Krall, Yanni....

Look how Susan Boyle sold 6 million (!) albums after appearing on the british version of American Idol. Sales and marketing will always trump great pure musicianship.

Now go back to your street corner and busk for quarters...and "keep it real bro"

#1378173 - 02/19/10 01:34 PM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: Wizard of Oz]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Wizard of Oz
stores if you were offered $3 million you'd take it and be a sellout too. And so would ALL of us. Every musician who hit it big could be called a sellout. Kenny G, Diana Krall, Yanni....

Look how Susan Boyle sold 6 million (!) albums after appearing on the british version of American Idol. Sales and marketing will always trump great pure musicianship.

Now go back to your street corner and busk for quarters...and "keep it real bro"

The fact that he took the offer is not why I consider him a sellout, though the reasons leading to why he was offered that contract to begin with are. I'm sorry, but sales and marketing will NEVER trump pure musicianship.

♪ ≠ $

#1378535 - 02/19/10 11:08 PM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: stores]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tell that to Britney Spears, Madonna, the Rolling Stones, Elton John... Wake up, music is now an entertainment industry, NOT a musical industry. That's why jazz and classical are the 2 least popular genres around. I don't consider "rap" music, but hey it sure sells.

You may be the greatest piano player, but if no one's heard of you, you'll still be poor. That's reality.

#1381553 - 02/23/10 10:26 PM Re: Sony Pays $3 Million to Win Pianist Lang Lang [Re: Wizard of Oz]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
It might be a huge amount for a classical artist but $3 million isn't much at all for a multi album contract in the music business. A acquaintance of mine (19yo very pretty blonde can't sing ,can't write and can't play but she can shake her ass on MTV) has earned over $3m from her first album with only one "hit" and she's poor compared to what Stef Germanotta and Nadir Khayat who both can play and write have made from Lady GaGa's first album ...$30m and still counting in about 7 months .....

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Who's Online
67 registered (angga888, alfredo capurso, 16 invisible), 1085 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158406 Topics
2326249 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission