Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (ajames, accordeur, ando, AmateurBob, A Guy, 33 invisible), 1790 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1364415 - 02/02/10 10:54 PM Good, affordable recording software??
goveg Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hello, I need some help! I bought a MIDI to USB cable to connect my Yamaha P-60 to my Vista PC. All I want to do is record myself playing as an audio file, cut out the bad parts and then share it via email, save to MP3, etc. I don't need a notation program or anything.

Can any of you recommend some software for this? I've downloaded a free trial of Music Masterworks but it's confusing and looks like something from the early 90's, so I don't want to spend money on it. Everything I look up is $60 or more--probably because most programs do a lot more than I need. Is it really necessary to spend that for my minimal purposes? I just want something easy to use that doesn't look junky. Thank you for any suggestions!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1364422 - 02/02/10 11:00 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hey goveg, check out this website by PW member mahlzeit:

http://www.pianoclues.com/how-to-record-piano/

I believe you can accomplish what you're looking for, either with Audacity or Red Dot Forever (both of which are free programs available for download online), and mahlzeit's website explains how to use them.

#1364435 - 02/02/10 11:19 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
You bought a MIDI to USB cable? Audio is not sent over MIDI. You can record using MIDI but you only record the press and velocity data, not the sound.

If you want to capture the audio sound generated by your digital piano you need to connect the line out (or headphone if your DP lacks line out) to a line in jack on your computer.

Then you can use a program like Audadicity to record the audio signal.

If you want to say with MIDI then you need a software virtual instrument to create the piano sound from your key presses. There are advantages of doing this way. 1) the sound can be much better 2) you can edit note by note and cut and pase and even transpose. You can "cheat" to no end with MIDI chort the timing and edit toget the best parts of multiple takes

Audio recording is simpler to understand. It's just like a tape recorder but edits other then cutting out the silence at the beginning and end is not so easy.

What software? You only think you don't need much. As you learn more about home recording you will find you need a lot more than you think. Things like "compressors" are used to match up the dynamic range of lie music to a limited range of an MP3 file. Equalization and reverb. And then you want the editor to be non-destructive so you can back out changes. In the end it is not so simple, not if you want the end result to be listenable by others that don't know you.

Then if you do decide to go with midi you do need notation or else how can you select a note or bar with your mouse. Or how to assign an instrument to the recorded midi track.

Why is the cost high? Well some good software is free
(see here: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/)

I don't know much about PC music software (I use Apple's "LOgic") but there is a TON of it out there. The best way to choose is to look at the amount of third party support you get. For example how many books are there at Amazon.com covering that software? How good are the Internet forums that support that software. Are there on-line video tutorials either paid or utube? Support and the quality of the "community" really matter. Technically they can all do about the same job

Edited by ChrisA (02/02/10 11:46 PM)

#1364452 - 02/02/10 11:31 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
RayE Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY, USA
Try Audacity's free version it may be all you need. For a little more editing capability I've used CakeWalk Home Studio with good results, when I bought it a few years back it was only $99.00.

#1364674 - 02/03/10 09:54 AM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: RayE]
setchman Offline

goveg,

Make sure you understand everything that ChrisA explained since, base on your post, you won't be getting any sound into your computer with the MIDI to USB cable. Hopefully, you'll be able to get the sound into your computer without too much hassle so, assuming you do, here are a few of my suggestions for simple recording software.

As others have mentioned, Audacity would be a good place to start and has wide-spread support if you have questions getting it set up properly.

I would also recommend checking out Wavosaur since it is also free and allows you to do simple recording and editing of your files, as well as MP3 conversions, all within the program.

I own GoldWave and use it often but this is a commercial program that will cost you $49. It's features are similar to Wavosaur but the interface is a little nicer and it does tend to get upgrades and new features more often then Wavosaur.

WavePad is another wave recorder/editor worth checking out. The unlicensed version is free to use or you can buy the "Master" edition if you like the program.

There are plenty of other options available but before you get too far along in choosing software, I would make sure you can get a reliable and usable sound into your computer first. Start off with one of the free programs so you can check the sound and recording capabilities of you computer. After you know you can get your computer setup properly to record your piano you can go about finding the right recording software for your needs.

#1365325 - 02/04/10 01:19 AM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: setchman]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC
Originally Posted By: setchman
goveg,
I own GoldWave and use it often but this is a commercial program that will cost you $49. It's features are similar to Wavosaur but the interface is a little nicer and it does tend to get upgrades and new features more often then Wavosaur.

I too use Goldwave and would suggest that for $49 it is an absolute best buy. While Audacity for free sounds better, I've used both, and the extra $49 for a lifetime of free upgrades, excellent good support and its own forum, it is probably a better buy.

I tried both, and in the end the free cost of Audacity couldn't compete.

Glenn

#1367876 - 02/07/10 01:28 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: Glenn NK]
goveg Offline

You guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate that you took the time to help me! I think I'll post replies individually...

#1367877 - 02/07/10 01:29 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: Monica K.]
goveg Offline

Monica-that web site is fantastic, really easy to understand information. It turns out Audacity doesn't work with midi files, but I will have to convert the files at some point so it might help me then. I've downloaded Red Dot at it's a great, easy recorder. My favorite feature is the ability to record, play and stop right from the keyboard. You can choose your settings, I've set the pedal for record, low C for stop and low B for play, so I don't even have to leave the keyboard--cool! I'm constantly stoping and starting since I make lots of mistakes. Thanks!

#1367884 - 02/07/10 01:37 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
goveg Offline

Chris--Yes, apparently I chose the more complicated way of recording, since the files will have to be converted to do much of anything with them. But the midi files play great in media player, so I can probably share them without converting. And it took me a while to get it to work, so I guess I'll stick with the midi recording. Maybe I'll want to do something with notation someday. Rosegarden looks good, I'll definitely give it a try. After reading the replies, the whole process is much clearer to me. Thanks!

#1367886 - 02/07/10 01:41 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: RayE]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: RayE
Try Audacity's free version it may be all you need. For a little more editing capability I've used CakeWalk Home Studio with good results, when I bought it a few years back it was only $99.00.

Ray--I'm thinking Audacity will work well once I've converted to .wav. And I'll make note of CakeWalk when I get better at all this. I've only been playing for 4 years so I'm on pretty basic stuff still. Thanks!

#1367896 - 02/07/10 01:54 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: setchman]
goveg Offline

goveg,

Make sure you understand everything that ChrisA explained since, base on your post, you won't be getting any sound into your computer with the MIDI to USB cable. Hopefully, you'll be able to get the sound into your computer without too much hassle so, assuming you do, here are a few of my suggestions for simple recording software.

As others have mentioned, Audacity would be a good place to start and has wide-spread support if you have questions getting it set up properly.

I would also recommend checking out Wavosaur since it is also free and allows you to do simple recording and editing of your files, as well as MP3 conversions, all within the program.

WavePad is another wave recorder/editor worth checking out. The unlicensed version is free to use or you can buy the "Master" edition if you like the program.

There are plenty of other options available but before you get too far along in choosing software, I would make sure you can get a reliable and usable sound into your computer first. Start off with one of the free programs so you can check the sound and recording capabilities of you computer. After you know you can get your computer setup properly to record your piano you can go about finding the right recording software for your needs.

I figured I'd just plug it in and presto! But no, I needed to fine software. First tried Anvil and it didn't work. Music Masterworks is a pain so I'm not about to buy it. I don't think wavosaur can record midi files. It seems like programs will either record midi but not edit, or record other kinds of files and will edit. So it seems like I have to record midi with red dot and then convert them to edit in most other programs that everyone suggested. Thanks for the info and program suggestions!

#1367897 - 02/07/10 01:56 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: Glenn NK]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: Glenn NK
goveg,

I too use Goldwave and would suggest that for $49 it is an absolute best buy. While Audacity for free sounds better, I've used both, and the extra $49 for a lifetime of free upgrades, excellent good support and its own forum, it is probably a better buy.

I tried both, and in the end the free cost of Audacity couldn't compete.

Glenn

Ok, I will check out Goldwave. Thanks!

#1367926 - 02/07/10 02:21 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Reaper is a good DAW to look into. It's free to try.

Rich

#1367929 - 02/07/10 02:24 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: goveg
It seems like programs will either record midi but not edit, or record other kinds of files and will edit. So it seems like I have to record midi with red dot and then convert them to edit in most other programs that everyone suggested. Thanks for the info and program suggestions!

That is because you are only looking at the low end. The way the better software works. Is that it simuates a multi-track recorder but only some of the tracks can be MIDI and some audio. You want software that treats both kinds of tracks more or less the same. Most will allowyou to record many, many tracks oof both kinds all at once. The last thing yu want is a collection of little programs that you have to string together.

OK so you can't afford ProTools. But there are inexpensive work-a-likes. When you buy a USB audio interface look for one that has "free" software bundled with it. The most popular would be "CuBase". The lite version is easy to find being offered free.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/musicproduction/cubaseessential5.html

#1367937 - 02/07/10 02:29 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
setchman Offline

It seems like programs will either record midi but not edit, or record other kinds of files and will edit. So it seems like I have to record midi with red dot and then convert them to edit in most other programs that everyone suggested. Thanks for the info and program suggestions!

goveg,

Are you looking to find a program that does both, like a digital audio workstation? That, of course, opens up the discussion with the inclusion of any number of different programs that can accomplish both.

I don't want to confuse you with suggestions for different DAWs if that's not really what you are wanting or needing to do.

#1368111 - 02/07/10 06:35 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: setchman]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
goveg, you need a recording app with a really good MIDI editor. On that editor's screen, notes looks like entries on a bar graph. That makes them easy to edit, including moving individual notes in a group so that they sound at the same time. You should also be able to adjust the volume of individual notes, which overcomes problems with technique. This I do know;-)

Cubase is known for its MIDI editing capabilities. I use an older full version, but it's very possible that the current Lite version mentioned by ChrisA will have a good MIDI editor. Well worth checking.

#1368594 - 02/08/10 12:00 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

That is because you are only looking at the low end. The way the better software works. Is that it simuates a multi-track recorder but only some of the tracks can be MIDI and some audio. You want software that treats both kinds of tracks more or less the same. Most will allowyou to record many, many tracks oof both kinds all at once. The last thing yu want is a collection of little programs that you have to string together.

OK so you can't afford ProTools. But there are inexpensive work-a-likes. When you buy a USB audio interface look for one that has "free" software bundled with it. The most popular would be "CuBase". The lite version is easy to find being offered free.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/musicproduction/cubaseessential5.html

Hi Chris! Thanks for your response! Yes, I was thinking that having a bunch of little programs seems like a hassle. I wouldn't mind buying a program, but I don't want to spend $50 or more for something that has a million features I don't need. Seems like there should be something for $30 or less that's more basic. All I want to do is record, have the option to do some basic editing (trimming off the beginning or end of a recording) and put the recordings on an MP3. I really don't need to record a bunch of stuff all at once, and I would like something simple enough that I don't need a user manual to figure it out. Plus I love that red dot feature that allows me to start and stop recording and play back right from my keyboard. So that's my dilemma, have a few free, easy-to-use programs or one great, expensive program that I can't figure out. I use photoshop for my photos, but for this I just want something like Picasa. wink

Edited by goveg (02/08/10 12:16 PM)

#1368605 - 02/08/10 12:19 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: setchman]
goveg Offline

goveg,

Are you looking to find a program that does both, like a digital audio workstation? That, of course, opens up the discussion with the inclusion of any number of different programs that can accomplish both.

I don't want to confuse you with suggestions for different DAWs if that's not really what you are wanting or needing to do.

Hi Setchman. Please see my reply to Chris. The term 'digital audio workstation' gives me hives! I think that's what I'm trying to stay away from. smile Thanks!

#1368608 - 02/08/10 12:21 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
but I don't want to spend $50 or more for something that has a million features I don't need. All I want to do is record, have the option to do some basic editing (trimming off the beginning or end of a recording) and put the recordings on an MP3. I really don't need to record a bunch of stuff all at once and I would like something simple enough that I don't need a user manual to figure it out.

Apple will give you what you are looking for free, All you have to do is buy one of their computers and you get Garage Band. Otherwise the going price of Windows based DAW software seems to run about $150 for an entry leveland $500 for the midrange software.

If you want free you can upgrade to a free OS. Take a look at "Rosegarden". It runs on Linux. http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

#1368610 - 02/08/10 12:22 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: FogVilleLad]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: FogVilleLad
goveg, you need a recording app with a really good MIDI editor. On that editor's screen, notes looks like entries on a bar graph. That makes them easy to edit, including moving individual notes in a group so that they sound at the same time. You should also be able to adjust the volume of individual notes, which overcomes problems with technique. This I do know;-)

Cubase is known for its MIDI editing capabilities. I use an older full version, but it's very possible that the current Lite version mentioned by ChrisA will have a good MIDI editor. Well worth checking.

Hi Fogville! Music Masterworks does that, shows the notes (although thanks to me they're eons away from correct). But MM stinks. I just want to cut chunks out, so I don't really need to see the notes, just some other way to visualize and edit a recording. Make sense?

#1368615 - 02/08/10 12:25 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
goveg Offline

Quote:
but I don't want to spend $50 or more for something that has a million features I don't need. All I want to do is record, have the option to do some basic editing (trimming off the beginning or end of a recording) and put the recordings on an MP3. I really don't need to record a bunch of stuff all at once and I would like something simple enough that I don't need a user manual to figure it out.

Apple will give you what you are looking for free, All you have to do is buy one of their computers and you get Garage Band. Otherwise the going price of Windows based DAW software seems to run about $150 for an entry leveland $500 for the midrange software.

If you want free you can upgrade to a free OS. Take a look at "Rosegarden". It runs on Linux. http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

It's definitely on my to-do list, to download Rosegarden. I did check it out, but judging by the forum it looks like it doesn't record midi. Maybe I'm thinking of another program. As for getting a mac, it's not gonna happen! wink

#1368649 - 02/08/10 01:11 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

It's definitely on my to-do list, to download Rosegarden. I did check it out, but judging by the forum it looks like it doesn't record midi. Maybe I'm thinking of another program. As for getting a mac, it's not gonna happen! wink

One of Rosegarden's strongest features is MIDI recording.

Yes I knw about Macs, "Free if you buy a computer" was a joke. The $599 entry price keeps them out of the hands of anyone who would complain about spending $50 for software.

#1368679 - 02/08/10 01:42 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Mulab has a free version that lets you record 4 vsti or audio tracks and edit any of them note by note. Doesn't have a lot of other audio editing abilities, but most sequencers don't. Really a very good, uncluttered screen\interface while having all of the features many people need for getting serious work done. If you're just recording piano, or piano and voice, it might be enough:

http://www.mutools.com/products.html

Edited by Jake Jackson (02/08/10 01:45 PM)

#1368761 - 02/08/10 03:58 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I just want to cut chunks out, so I don't really need to see the notes, just some other way to visualize and edit a recording. Make sense?
Yes, but that's more of an audio editor. Until your technique improves, you'll get more mileage from a MIDI editor. Can you guess how I know;-)?

MIDI editing is tedious. No way around that. But it's where I am at the moment, so that's what I use.

#1368777 - 02/08/10 04:23 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
goveg Offline

Yes I knw about Macs, "Free if you buy a computer" was a joke. The $599 entry price keeps them out of the hands of anyone who would complain about spending $50 for software.

Yes, I figured. wink I stand corrected about Rosegarden, all the programs I've looked at are blending together. I'll have to download it.

#1368778 - 02/08/10 04:25 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: Jake Jackson]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake Jackson
Mulab has a free version that lets you record 4 vsti or audio tracks and edit any of them note by note. Doesn't have a lot of other audio editing abilities, but most sequencers don't. Really a very good, uncluttered screen\interface while having all of the features many people need for getting serious work done. If you're just recording piano, or piano and voice, it might be enough:

http://www.mutools.com/products.html

Thanks Jake, I will check this one out too. You guys are giving me lots of great ideas. It's hard to search online for something when you don't know what you're looking for.

#1368780 - 02/08/10 04:27 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: FogVilleLad]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: FogVilleLad
I just want to cut chunks out, so I don't really need to see the notes, just some other way to visualize and edit a recording. Make sense?
Yes, but that's more of an audio editor. Until your technique improves, you'll get more mileage from a MIDI editor. Can you guess how I know;-)?

MIDI editing is tedious. No way around that. But it's where I am at the moment, so that's what I use.

Yes, it sounds tedious. Although I've had several decent recordings messed up by one or 2 little mistakes.

#1369190 - 02/09/10 02:23 AM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
A couple days ago I stumbled on a program called Mixcraft made by Acoustica. I downloaded the trial version and it is easy to work with. The interface is simple,and it has some good sounding softsynths and a very cool B3 simulator. You can record virtual instruments but I think it is limited to just 5 of those kind of tracks. It has midi editing capability. I don't know much about DAW's but this seems easier to use and learn than a lot of the programs in it's price range. It runs $65 to buy. I plugged in my DP and have none of the latency issues I was having with Sony Acid. Looks like a good basic recording program with a simple interface.

#1369665 - 02/09/10 05:58 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: galaxy4t]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Another vote for Reaper here. Amazing value with fully functional 30-day eval and a $60 price to buy. I see Reaper's got Mac versions in beta too now.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Howard

#1369806 - 02/09/10 10:01 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC

Yes it seems like that at first, but we're not quite through with you yet!!

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

The price is right, it's loaded with features (annual updates cost about $30), and there one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys on the form is Bob Harvey (from Michigan).

You can record both midi and wave with this program (simultaneously), and also do tons of midi editing if you wish (I do regularly).

Glenn

#1369848 - 02/09/10 11:16 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: Glenn NK]
goveg Offline

An excerpt from Rosegarden site:

How to get Rosegarden
The Rosegarden development team makes Rosegarden available in source code form, to be compiled after download.

Download the Rosegarden source distribution.

We don't make ready-to-run binaries; you should get those as packages tailored for a particular Linux distribution.

Rosegarden is a complex program that requires numerous libraries and services that vary from one Linux distribution to another. It is also advisable to run Rosegarden on a Linux system that is well tuned for interactive and audio applications. For these reasons, it is not practical at this time for the Rosegarden team to provide installable packages for the many Linux distributions available. Here's where you should look instead:

Distribution packages
Installable binary packages for many major Linux distributions are available via the distributions' standard package repositories. Please consult your distribution's documentation for more details on how to obtain and install packages from these repositories.

HUH???? eek

#1369851 - 02/09/10 11:17 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: galaxy4t]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
A couple days ago I stumbled on a program called Mixcraft made by Acoustica. I downloaded the trial version and it is easy to work with. The interface is simple,and it has some good sounding softsynths and a very cool B3 simulator. You can record virtual instruments but I think it is limited to just 5 of those kind of tracks. It has midi editing capability. I don't know much about DAW's but this seems easier to use and learn than a lot of the programs in it's price range. It runs $65 to buy. I plugged in my DP and have none of the latency issues I was having with Sony Acid. Looks like a good basic recording program with a simple interface.

I don't know what any of that means, but I will add it to my 'programs to look at' list. Thanks! smile

#1369852 - 02/09/10 11:20 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: hv]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: hv
Another vote for Reaper here. Amazing value with fully functional 30-day eval and a $60 price to buy. I see Reaper's got Mac versions in beta too now.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Howard

Ok, I might just break down and spend some $. Not yet though, I'm too clueless abou all this...

#1369854 - 02/09/10 11:22 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: Glenn NK]
goveg Offline

Originally Posted By: Glenn NK

Yes it seems like that at first, but we're not quite through with you yet!!

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

The price is right, it's loaded with features (annual updates cost about $30), and there one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys on the form is Bob Harvey (from Michigan).

You can record both midi and wave with this program (simultaneously), and also do tons of midi editing if you wish (I do regularly).

Glenn

lol, thanks Glen. Of course you know anyone from MI is automatically awesome. wink Will definitely look into it!

#1369912 - 02/10/10 12:52 AM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Installable binary packages for many major Linux distributions are available via the distributions' standard package repositories. Please consult your distribution's documentation for more details on how to obtain and install packages from these repositories.[/i]

HUH???? eek [

What his means for the end user is that to install Rosegarden you choose "install new software", select "Rosegarden" then click "Install".

On a Windows or a Mac, typically you'd have to go to the web site of the company who makes the software and then download a file and then "run" the file. Most Linux systems will have you skip the part about going to a web site and downloading a file.

#1369920 - 02/10/10 01:09 AM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
slowpogo Offline

Loc: Midwest, US
The OP doesn't need to be messing around with Linux. It has no advantage for the typical Windows/Mac user and, as is evident, just involves learning a different OS...once you do you'll say, "And why did I bother to do that? I guess I'll go back to Windows."

#1370145 - 02/10/10 11:36 AM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
goveg Offline

What his means for the end user is that to install Rosegarden you choose "install new software", select "Rosegarden" then click "Install".

On a Windows or a Mac, typically you'd have to go to the web site of the company who makes the software and then download a file and then "run" the file. Most Linux systems will have you skip the part about going to a web site and downloading a file.

I don't see that option anywhere. Clicked on 'get Rosegarden', then 'download source distribution' (whatever the hell that means) then 'beta' under 'current stable release'. Downloaded a file and windows says it can't open it.

#1370172 - 02/10/10 12:22 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: setchman]
goveg Offline

goveg,

Thanks for this one, Wavepad is really cool!! And easy to cut out the mistakes! smile

#1370177 - 02/10/10 12:33 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: goveg]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I don't see that option anywhere. Clicked on 'get Rosegarden', then 'download source distribution' (whatever the hell that means) then 'beta' under 'current stable release'. Downloaded a file and windows says it can't open it.

Of course Windows can do anything with it. Rosegarden is not a Windows program. It runs under Linux.

So then on the desktop of your Linux system you will find a pulldown caled "install new software" Start from there.

Now I repeat what I wrote above...

#1378538 - 02/19/10 11:13 PM Re: Good, affordable recording software?? [Re: ChrisA]
goveg Offline

Of course Windows can do anything with it. Rosegarden is not a Windows program. It runs under Linux.

So then on the desktop of your Linux system you will find a pulldown caled "install new software" Start from there.

Now I repeat what I wrote above...

Thanks for all your help! I think Linux is beyond my minimal computer expertise. Especially since I haven't even heard of it! But I definitely have a lot of things to look into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
11/28/14 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
11/28/14 12:38 PM
How Old should Bass Strings be Before You Replace Them?
by Paul678
11/28/14 11:03 AM
My Blüthner
by joe80
11/28/14 10:30 AM
What to teach before transferring to a jazz teacher
by hreichgott
11/28/14 10:06 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159419 Topics
2341826 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission