2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 75 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 74 75
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I guess I should have thought to listen to it!

The sound of the layered, pedaled sound reminds me somewhat of flying a multi-engine airplane where the props are not sync-ed or of the beats one hears from a piano that is out of tune.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_synchronization

Presumably it would be non-trivial to develop even simple modeling algorithms to simulate piano decay that would be superior to simply creating phasey beats symptomatic of having two poorly coordinated piano recordings playing simultaneously and interfering with each other.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mucci
No visible sign of looping

But it's clearly audible. So the spectral pan view is rather moot.

I think your approach to this kind of testing is a bit backward. You should be using the graphs to understand and quantify the things you can already hear. Sometimes the graphs can help you know whether something on the edge of your hearing is real or not (e.g. sympathetic resonance). But saying people won't hear something because it isn't visible in a particular view is incorrect. For instance, I often have a hard time seeing looping on C1 notes, but I can almost always hear it if it is there.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TADutchman
... just let me know when you are ready for a clear invitation and dual voice mode comparison.

I'm envisioning me on my knees rolling out a red carpet, TAD emerging from a limo sporting sunglasses and a cravat, the paparazzi going bananas. Where do I send the first-class all-expenses-paid ticket?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
I'm envisioning me on my knees rolling out a red carpet

You mean not being part of the Roland worship connection anymore? laugh ha
http://www.rolandus.com/community/worship_connection/

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by JFP
I understand this layering is NOT possible on the MP10 ?! (It's on my short-list, so would be nice to know...)

Well, correct me if I am wrong anyone, but, my understanding from reading the communication between KawaiJAMES and TADutchman is that on the MP10 you can only layer sounds from one sound bank to another, e.g. strings and piano, not from the same sound bank, i.e. one acoustic piano on another...

bump

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Discovering this webpage I'm almost tempted to switch over to Roland... But they just released a CD called "the Journey"... wink so I should be warned

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TADutchman
Originally Posted by dewster
I'm envisioning me on my knees rolling out a red carpet

You mean not being part of the Roland worship connection anymore? laugh ha
http://www.rolandus.com/community/worship_connection/

Hmmm. I see a point being made, but not the one intended probably.

Certainly you would say that this page is an example of better and more professional end-user, application-based marketing to sell pianos to "chruches"?
http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/sound_demos/chruch_demo2010.html

If a manufacturer cannot understand the needs of their markets and empathize with their wants and concerns, they will not succeed not matter how cheap they sell their products vis-a-vis the competition. People don't buy dps, they buy what they can do with their dps.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Is someone again in the KAWAI bashing mode? I thought this is about technical analysis of sounds, and most people posting here are constructively participating with adding some analysis content and not just
[Linked Image]

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Actually, as most of us here, I am discussing the market for digital pianos, the digital pianos themselves, their capabilities and limitations and sounds, their manufacturers, their supply chain partners, etc. That's what this site is for.

You might want to stop violating the terms of service of this site and do the same. It is so much more satisfactory to have a discussion of the topic rather than only stir the pot by making innuendos and commenting on and attacking other posters...

For example, rather than coming to this thread to bait and seek conflict it would have been more useful for another user to either submit their proposed sounds or not. Rather than post put-down cartoons it would be more interesting to hear your reaction to my very serious and constructive feedback on the sounds you posted. Rather than the users who have the answers to specific, valid questions (e.g. the CAx3 versus MP10 layering capabilities) ignoring these questions posed to them while they post a flurry of private messages to each other followed by more attacks, it would be useful to actually have a discussion of facts.

Are you up to it?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As theJourney correctly states (and as I have stated in the MP10/MP6 thread), the MP10 does not allow two sounds from the same category (e.g. two piano sounds) to be layered together.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The day when you stop repeating yourself endlessly I will stop responding.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Attached you find the whole C1 to C7 set of (almost) full length CA63 Concert Grandeur patch. I for myself can hardly detect any loops, but in real live playing this is virtually neglectible. It's all about the sound signature.
Everyone can build its own opinion from this sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yz070u3xobkovp8

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The day when you stop repeating yourself endlessly I will stop responding.

I would like to take you at your word, but I am not sure which side of your mouth I should listen to... frown

I do no longer directly answer to theJourney... since I don't want to get personally offended by him.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Attached you find the whole C1 to C7 set of (almost) full length CA63 Concert Grandeur patch. I for myself can hardly detect any loops, but in real live playing this is virtually neglectible. It's all about the sound signature.
Everyone can build its own opinion from this sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yz070u3xobkovp8

Thanks for uploading this.

I find the strange lack of a percussive attack of the start of notes that was already quite noticeable on the standard CA63 sounds to be even more prominent on the layered sound. Can this be tweaked so that it sounds more piano-like and less kind-of-like-a-piano-like?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
Can this be tweaked...

Come on, theJourney. It is already well known that you prefer the sound signature and beautiful resonances of the CA93/CA63 Steinway preset, as many other people do. So, why don't you just take that one or one of the many other dual voice presets (in case it is relevant, owning a CA93/CA63). There's plenty of choice in the CA93/CA63 custom settings thread for everybody. smile

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Mucci, you've tilted my choice towards Roland by providing this excellent example. The sound as separate notes is completely static to me and the looping way too audible. I wonder if the MP10 preforms any better in a comparable test (single notes like you did). To compensate for this artificial sound it can not be layered as with the CA63, so it has to be really better than this in a single patch, or else...;-)

By the way, what's this flutter echo on the highest tone ? Sounds like a reflexion of some kind..., shouldn't be there I suppose...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You're welcome! wink

Before finally deciding I would test drive all of your models in question. Nothing goes beyond playing for yourself and deciding on your personal preference rather than only static tests.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I know, but from the examples here I came to expect that I would only like the piano sounds in layering mode , as proposed by TADutchman. Since the MP10 cannot do that , it will depend on how much better the (single layer) UHPI implementation on the MP10 than on the CA63. Let's call it UHPI+ It will put the MP6 out of my options list altogether.

I know you would have to wait and see (hear) for yourself, but it may still take ages before the MP10 hits any store nearby, so I doubt if I want to wait that long before ordering. That's the whole reason I linger on these sites so much. Not because I've got nothing else to do, but simply because I try to make a decent decision based on all the information I can possibly extract from these threads, websites , Youtubes demo's etc

Remember I tried the Rm3 and I know I like it, so the rest depends mostly on the AP sound for me. And I'm still not convinced I will be happy with it. Certainly not as long as there is no decent material replacing these crippled MP3's of the Kawai website...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Remember, JFP, playing real music and those isolated single notes (without reverb etc.) is something completely different! Don't rely too much on this. Remember, this is a plain numbers and analysis thread.

Furthermore: Don't rely too much on opinions that individual people here in this forum express. We are all somehow biased for whatever reason (even me! wink ), so you should be cautious.

Ans last but not least: You need to play your favourite DP before buying. That's, I would say, even 90% of the opinion making, max. 10% is reading in forums like this.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Attached you find the whole C1 to C7 set of (almost) full length CA63 Concert Grandeur patch.

Yes, thank you mucci for making this available. I find C2 and C7 the best of the bunch to my ears. The others have too much fake phasey sound.

And I hope no one takes this personally, but if this is a good example of the Kawai layering project, color me rather unimpressed.

I for myself can hardly detect any loops, but in real live playing this is virtually neglectible.

You could say that about a lot of DPs.

Page 48 of 75 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission