2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
I found a few prior threads on this topic, but could not find at what level teachers start their students on Bach inventions. I have a transfer student who studied with 3 prior teachers over 3 years. Yikes. Each teacher had different styles - from laid back to very advanced. I had her sight read a few pieces from a level 2 method book and found her rhythm and note reading quite off, so we would need to brush up on that. However, based on the difficult music she'd last worked on, I wondered if I could give her one of the less difficult Bach inventions. I want to give her a variety of less advanced but very exciting music. How would I determine her readiness for the Bach? Also the student never received any scale studies or Hanon, Czerny, etc. exercises. Thanks.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I've seen similar transfer students--those who play really hard pieces, but can't sight read, play with correct rhythm, or identify a major triad.

I'd immediately brush up the student on the basics. I wouldn't even touch Bach Inventions at this moment. Have her play through a bunch of easier pieces, maybe something like Burgmuller Op. 100 or Lichner/Lynes/Diabelli/Kuhlau/Clementi Sonatinas, or Kabalevsky Op. 27, so that her basic needs are met. Use each piece to address a different aspect of music.

Scales will be good, too, but do watch her fingering. Many of these students come with atrocious fingering habits.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Irenev
How would I determine her readiness for the Bach?

My not-a-teacher opinion: if she has two eyes, two hands, two ears, and can identify the notes on the grandstaff then she is ready for Bach, Invention number 1, C major.

All of the weaknesses that you mentioned can be adressed therein, and a great deal more. It is the greatest teaching material that exists.

The other things that you mention, you can do as well. But putting the Invention at the heart of the matter is, in my view, right on the money.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I wondered if I could give her one of the less difficult Bach inventions. I want to give her a variety of less advanced but very exciting music. How would I determine her readiness for the Bach? Also the student never received any scale studies or Hanon, Czerny, etc. exercises. Thanks.

She may be ready to start on the Bach AM dances. Alfred has an excellent book edited by Willard Palmer you might look at. They are roughly in order of difficulty.

Give her 12 to 15 of these first, then perhaps a few preludes. Then she'll be ready for the Inventions.

The truth is, the Bach Inventions, if you're going to play them well, identify the subjects and counterpoints, and voice them properly, is really upper intermediate level work for the easiest and lower advanced for the more difficult. Most students I hear play them play them poorly to horribly, which makes me wonder if their teachers can play them properly.

I caution you not to start too soon on these. Lay the foundation first.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I would like to add that I don't consider the Invention in C-major to be a difficult piece for a child.

But it is certainly true that if the teacher considers it a difficult piece than he will teach that point of viex to the student.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Played properly, up to tempo, with voicing and with ornamentation, it is not an "easy" piece.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I would say that the Bach invention in my sig is harder in several ways than all other pieces I've played.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I wondered if I could give her one of the less difficult Bach inventions. I want to give her a variety of less advanced but very exciting music. How would I determine her readiness for the Bach? Also the student never received any scale studies or Hanon, Czerny, etc. exercises. Thanks.

She may be ready to start on the Bach AM dances. Alfred has an excellent book edited by Willard Palmer you might look at. They are roughly in order of difficulty.

Give her 12 to 15 of these first, then perhaps a few preludes. Then she'll be ready for the Inventions.

The truth is, the Bach Inventions, if you're going to play them well, identify the subjects and counterpoints, and voice them properly, is really upper intermediate level work for the easiest and lower advanced for the more difficult. Most students I hear play them play them poorly to horribly, which makes me wonder if their teachers can play them properly.

I caution you not to start too soon on these. Lay the foundation first.

Thanks, John. I will follow your advice. I am amazed at the difficult repertoire assigned to her, yet no accompanying technical work, such as scales or foundation exercises!

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks to everyone! I value your input.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission