2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 11 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thanks feeble,

Great shots, very interesting it's a shame SD is so far from OH. Does anyone know of a museum with player pianos?

ewaite

"Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!"

Ed Waite
http://www.thewaitegroup.com/piano
1909 ? Otto Grau Piano
1909 Apollo Melville Clark
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thank you so much for the photos! I have actually been to this museum, and it is truly amazing. It was particularly great to see so many photos of the keyboard instruments posted here--when I was there I have to admit I was distracted by the string instruments, although of course I looked at the keyboard instruments as well. For anyone with any interest in strings, the collection there will blow you away. For example: a Stradivarius guitar (who knew he made them?), Stradivarius instruments of every kind, all the famous makers represented, some by instruments in their original conditions. . . .Truly staggering. Dozens of string instruments by all the great names--and some of the instruments themselves have names.

Well worth a visit!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
did they have any double basses? In particular any Abraham Prescott instruments? laugh If so I am totally going up there!

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I am sure you could find out on the museum's website or by calling them. One of the aspects of the museum that I found fascinating was that many of their string instruments were unchanged since made. I had not known that most string instruments made by Stradivarius, etc., had had their necks lengthened over the years.

At least when I was there, you basically walked into the museum and wandered around among millions upon millions of dollars worth of glorious instruments. They sometimes get them out of their glass cases and play them--if you are a musician, as your post suggests you are, you might want to see if they are planning any concerts. (They have a string quartet of instruments made by one of the household name makers, unchanged since made, that they use sometimes to keep them happy.) There is probably no hurry about this--South Dakota winters are gruesome, and I cannot imagine anyone planning a concert for the dead of winter!

BTW, if you are interested in woodwinds, there is a huge collection of those, too. Something for everyone.

Of course, I am sitting in a blizzard as I write this, on the East Coast--might as well be in South Dakota today! And no, I don't work for the South Dakota tourist board, if there is one. . . .

Last edited by Rank Piano Amateur; 02/10/10 09:33 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
feeble - Thanks so much for taking the time to post your excellent pictures and the descriptions. It made for a very entertaining read!

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I received a nice email today from Dr. Margaret Downie Banks, Sr. Curator of musical instruments at the NMM.

I'm enclosing it here:
============================================================================
I was delighted to see all the interest recently expressed in the NMM’s keyboard collection, as well as the numerous photographs of some of our keyboards posted on the piano world’s website forum at https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ional%20Music%20Museum%20-%20Vermil.html .

Would you please inform your forum readers that there is a checklist of all of our keyboard instruments (with the exception of our reed organs and our electric organs) available on our extensive website at http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/KEYBOARD.HTM .

Our most recent keyboard acquisitions can be found on “A Sampling of Recent Acquisitions at the NMM” at http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/News/acquisitions.html.

Many other instruments from our global, encyclopedic collections of more than 14,800 musical instruments can be found in various checklists on our website (http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/collect.html), as well as on our many virtual tours (http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/galleries.html).

I’d also recommend that your readers visit our new introductory slide show, “Take A Walk Thru the NMM” (http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/Tours/WalkThruNMM/TourDirections.html).

I hope that these online resources will both inspire and entice many more of your readers to visit South Dakota in order to see the NMM’s extraordinary treasures in person!

Best wishes,

Dr. Margaret Downie Banks

Senior Curator of Musical Instruments

Professor of Music

Webmaster

National Music Museum

University of South Dakota

414 East Clark Street

Vermillion SD 57069

E-mail: Margaret.Banks@usd.edu

NMM Website: www.nmmusd.org
==============================================================================

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Very interesting.

Gorgeous Knabe Square, and I loved the Broadwood as well.

Skyblanche.

Those are some awesome pianos. I like the one that looks like an elaborate computer keyboard smile

The paintings on the underside of the covers of some of those are really beautiful.

Looking for piano learning resources or interesting piano stories? Check out my piano blog.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
feeble,

Thanks for posting all those wonderful pictures - it would be interesting to hear them played - which raises another question, are any of the playable?

Thanks.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
WOW! That was a beautiful introduction to this museum. Thank you for sharing feeble!

I do think I remember seeing a broadcast of the place a couple of years ago on TV. Anyone remember that? It impressed me back then, but I had forgotten about it since.

I also just enjoyed the intro slide show from the museum. Must go see that again.

Hmmmmmm, any direct flights to SD?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
darn, I was just up in Vermillion a few months ago. Thank you for the pictures, they're so neat.

I can see taking a special trip (not that far away).

(i really like the house organ (it's huge))

I really appreciate how you posted the descriptions. WELL DONE

Last edited by apple*; 02/18/10 10:38 AM.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Thanks very much for the photos. Very nice post.

Hmmm... I attended medical school in Vermillion (a long time ago) and lived on Clark Street not too far from the museum. But I never knew about the museum. My mind was elsewhere. I will be retiring in SD in 2011 and will make a point to visit the museum when I'm back.

Direct flights to South Dakota do not exist. Generally you must fly through either Minneapolis (Delta Airlines) or Salt Lake City (Delta) or Denver (United). The best way to get to Vermillion is to fly to Sioux Falls, SD which is about a 50 mile drive to Vermillion. You can also fly to Sioux City, IA which is about 40 miles from Vermillion. There is no airport in Vermillion.

Vermillion is a small university town not far from the Misssouri River breaks. The University of SD is a full time campus with about 5,000 to 6,000 students.

Vermillion is about 400 miles from Rapid City and the Badlands where you will find the major tourist attractions of SD (Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave, etc.). The Sturgis motorcycle rally is held annually in Sturgis, SD about 25 miles from Rapid City. That usually attracts about 500,000 people for a week in the Black Hills.

I will be retiring in Rapid City, my hometown, in 2011.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Rod Michael,

Thank you for the details about getting to Vermillion, I'd wondered what the best approach was.

I mentioned the idea of taking a PWPF group through and got a great response from the nice folks at the Museum.

I also hinted that we would like some pianos to play as well (I believe the museum pianos are hands-off, unlike the pianos at the Fredericks Historical Piano Collection).

One of the curators said that shouldn't be a problem as there are plenty of pianos on campus.

Could be a fun way to spend a day.
Tour the museum
Plays some pianos
Meet for dinner somewhere

Something to consider.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Very Nice ...

Thank You ..

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
Excellent museum. I visited two years ago. It's a natural stop on the way to the Corn Palace (in Mitchell, SD) or Wall Drug (in Wall, SD) or even Rapid City, SD.

R
R
Thank you for sharing the photos from the collection at Vermillion. Since I may never be able to see the collection in person, it was nice to see the photos. I've just read a section about the collection in the book "A Splintered History of Wood" by Spike Carlsen, in case no one had mentioned that connection yet.

John in South Carolina (but originally from Nebraska)

G
G
Thank you or these great piano photos! Amazing collection!

Camille
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission