2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ChrisA
but I don't want to spend $50 or more for something that has a million features I don't need. All I want to do is record, have the option to do some basic editing (trimming off the beginning or end of a recording) and put the recordings on an MP3. I really don't need to record a bunch of stuff all at once and I would like something simple enough that I don't need a user manual to figure it out.

Apple will give you what you are looking for free, All you have to do is buy one of their computers and you get Garage Band. Otherwise the going price of Windows based DAW software seems to run about $150 for an entry leveland $500 for the midrange software.

If you want free you can upgrade to a free OS. Take a look at "Rosegarden". It runs on Linux. http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

It's definitely on my to-do list, to download Rosegarden. I did check it out, but judging by the forum it looks like it doesn't record midi. Maybe I'm thinking of another program. As for getting a mac, it's not gonna happen! wink

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by goveg
but I don't want to spend $50 or more for something that has a million features I don't need. All I want to do is record, have the option to do some basic editing (trimming off the beginning or end of a recording) and put the recordings on an MP3. I really don't need to record a bunch of stuff all at once and I would like something simple enough that I don't need a user manual to figure it out.

Apple will give you what you are looking for free, All you have to do is buy one of their computers and you get Garage Band. Otherwise the going price of Windows based DAW software seems to run about $150 for an entry leveland $500 for the midrange software.

If you want free you can upgrade to a free OS. Take a look at "Rosegarden". It runs on Linux. http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

It's definitely on my to-do list, to download Rosegarden. I did check it out, but judging by the forum it looks like it doesn't record midi. Maybe I'm thinking of another program. As for getting a mac, it's not gonna happen! wink

One of Rosegarden's strongest features is MIDI recording.

Yes I knw about Macs, "Free if you buy a computer" was a joke. The $599 entry price keeps them out of the hands of anyone who would complain about spending $50 for software.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Mulab has a free version that lets you record 4 vsti or audio tracks and edit any of them note by note. Doesn't have a lot of other audio editing abilities, but most sequencers don't. Really a very good, uncluttered screen\interface while having all of the features many people need for getting serious work done. If you're just recording piano, or piano and voice, it might be enough:

http://www.mutools.com/products.html

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 02/08/10 02:45 PM.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
I just want to cut chunks out, so I don't really need to see the notes, just some other way to visualize and edit a recording. Make sense?
Yes, but that's more of an audio editor. Until your technique improves, you'll get more mileage from a MIDI editor. Can you guess how I know;-)?

MIDI editing is tedious. No way around that. But it's where I am at the moment, so that's what I use.

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes I knw about Macs, "Free if you buy a computer" was a joke. The $599 entry price keeps them out of the hands of anyone who would complain about spending $50 for software.

Yes, I figured. wink I stand corrected about Rosegarden, all the programs I've looked at are blending together. I'll have to download it.

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jake Jackson
Mulab has a free version that lets you record 4 vsti or audio tracks and edit any of them note by note. Doesn't have a lot of other audio editing abilities, but most sequencers don't. Really a very good, uncluttered screen\interface while having all of the features many people need for getting serious work done. If you're just recording piano, or piano and voice, it might be enough:

http://www.mutools.com/products.html

Thanks Jake, I will check this one out too. You guys are giving me lots of great ideas. It's hard to search online for something when you don't know what you're looking for.

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by FogVilleLad
I just want to cut chunks out, so I don't really need to see the notes, just some other way to visualize and edit a recording. Make sense?
Yes, but that's more of an audio editor. Until your technique improves, you'll get more mileage from a MIDI editor. Can you guess how I know;-)?

MIDI editing is tedious. No way around that. But it's where I am at the moment, so that's what I use.

Yes, it sounds tedious. Although I've had several decent recordings messed up by one or 2 little mistakes.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
A couple days ago I stumbled on a program called Mixcraft made by Acoustica. I downloaded the trial version and it is easy to work with. The interface is simple,and it has some good sounding softsynths and a very cool B3 simulator. You can record virtual instruments but I think it is limited to just 5 of those kind of tracks. It has midi editing capability. I don't know much about DAW's but this seems easier to use and learn than a lot of the programs in it's price range. It runs $65 to buy. I plugged in my DP and have none of the latency issues I was having with Sony Acid. Looks like a good basic recording program with a simple interface.

H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Another vote for Reaper here. Amazing value with fully functional 30-day eval and a $60 price to buy. I see Reaper's got Mac versions in beta too now.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Howard

G
G

It seems like programs will either record midi but not edit, or record other kinds of files and will edit. So it seems like I have to record midi with red dot and then convert them to edit in most other programs that everyone suggested. Thanks for the info and program suggestions!

Yes it seems like that at first, but we're not quite through with you yet!!

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

The price is right, it's loaded with features (annual updates cost about $30), and there one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys on the form is Bob Harvey (from Michigan).

You can record both midi and wave with this program (simultaneously), and also do tons of midi editing if you wish (I do regularly).

Glenn

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
An excerpt from Rosegarden site:

How to get Rosegarden
The Rosegarden development team makes Rosegarden available in source code form, to be compiled after download.

Download the Rosegarden source distribution.

We don't make ready-to-run binaries; you should get those as packages tailored for a particular Linux distribution.

Rosegarden is a complex program that requires numerous libraries and services that vary from one Linux distribution to another. It is also advisable to run Rosegarden on a Linux system that is well tuned for interactive and audio applications. For these reasons, it is not practical at this time for the Rosegarden team to provide installable packages for the many Linux distributions available. Here's where you should look instead:

Distribution packages
Installable binary packages for many major Linux distributions are available via the distributions' standard package repositories. Please consult your distribution's documentation for more details on how to obtain and install packages from these repositories.

HUH???? eek

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
A couple days ago I stumbled on a program called Mixcraft made by Acoustica. I downloaded the trial version and it is easy to work with. The interface is simple,and it has some good sounding softsynths and a very cool B3 simulator. You can record virtual instruments but I think it is limited to just 5 of those kind of tracks. It has midi editing capability. I don't know much about DAW's but this seems easier to use and learn than a lot of the programs in it's price range. It runs $65 to buy. I plugged in my DP and have none of the latency issues I was having with Sony Acid. Looks like a good basic recording program with a simple interface.

I don't know what any of that means, but I will add it to my 'programs to look at' list. Thanks! smile

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by hv
Another vote for Reaper here. Amazing value with fully functional 30-day eval and a $60 price to buy. I see Reaper's got Mac versions in beta too now.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Howard

Ok, I might just break down and spend some $. Not yet though, I'm too clueless abou all this...

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Glenn NK

It seems like programs will either record midi but not edit, or record other kinds of files and will edit. So it seems like I have to record midi with red dot and then convert them to edit in most other programs that everyone suggested. Thanks for the info and program suggestions!

Yes it seems like that at first, but we're not quite through with you yet!!

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

The price is right, it's loaded with features (annual updates cost about $30), and there one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys on the form is Bob Harvey (from Michigan).

You can record both midi and wave with this program (simultaneously), and also do tons of midi editing if you wish (I do regularly).

Glenn

lol, thanks Glen. Of course you know anyone from MI is automatically awesome. wink Will definitely look into it!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Installable binary packages for many major Linux distributions are available via the distributions' standard package repositories. Please consult your distribution's documentation for more details on how to obtain and install packages from these repositories.[/i]

HUH???? eek [

What his means for the end user is that to install Rosegarden you choose "install new software", select "Rosegarden" then click "Install".

On a Windows or a Mac, typically you'd have to go to the web site of the company who makes the software and then download a file and then "run" the file. Most Linux systems will have you skip the part about going to a web site and downloading a file.

S
S
The OP doesn't need to be messing around with Linux. It has no advantage for the typical Windows/Mac user and, as is evident, just involves learning a different OS...once you do you'll say, "And why did I bother to do that? I guess I'll go back to Windows."

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline

What his means for the end user is that to install Rosegarden you choose "install new software", select "Rosegarden" then click "Install".

On a Windows or a Mac, typically you'd have to go to the web site of the company who makes the software and then download a file and then "run" the file. Most Linux systems will have you skip the part about going to a web site and downloading a file.

I don't see that option anywhere. Clicked on 'get Rosegarden', then 'download source distribution' (whatever the heck that means) then 'beta' under 'current stable release'. Downloaded a file and windows says it can't open it.

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by setchman
goveg,

WavePad is another wave recorder/editor worth checking out. The unlicensed version is free to use or you can buy the "Master" edition if you like the program.

Thanks for this one, Wavepad is really cool!! And easy to cut out the mistakes! smile

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

I don't see that option anywhere. Clicked on 'get Rosegarden', then 'download source distribution' (whatever the heck that means) then 'beta' under 'current stable release'. Downloaded a file and windows says it can't open it.

Of course Windows can do anything with it. Rosegarden is not a Windows program. It runs under Linux.

So then on the desktop of your Linux system you will find a pulldown caled "install new software" Start from there.

Now I repeat what I wrote above...

goveg Offline OP
OP Offline

Of course Windows can do anything with it. Rosegarden is not a Windows program. It runs under Linux.

So then on the desktop of your Linux system you will find a pulldown caled "install new software" Start from there.

Now I repeat what I wrote above...

Thanks for all your help! I think Linux is beyond my minimal computer expertise. Especially since I haven't even heard of it! But I definitely have a lot of things to look into.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission