Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
58 registered (aceydawg, AnimistFvR, beet31425, 17 invisible), 1115 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1369564 - 02/09/10 03:07 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: D4v3]
RogerW Offline

Originally Posted By: D4v3
BLASPHEMY!!! How dare you sully Chopin!!! J/K you can say what ever you want, just not about Chopin.

Well, speaking of Chopin... What was he thinking when he wrote the Nocturne in C#-minor, op.27 no1? This is the story I hear:

Larghetto - a calm night, I am falling asleep at home, dreaming somewhat weird, but rather beautiful and calm dreams.
Piu mosso - the wind starts to build up outside my window, my sleep becomes more restless. In my dreams I am confronted by a dragon.
Appassionato - I slay the dragon.
Agitato - The wind outside my window builds up to a storm. My sleep becomes very restless. The dragon I just slayed is brought back to life and keeps growing bigger and bigger every second.
con anima - stretto - I am woke up by a gang of drunk frat boys passing outside my window, singing (or rather screaming) a catchy drinking song.
fff (16 bars later) - I scream at the frat boys to get lost so that I can get some sleep.
Tempo 1 - I go back to sleep.

Now this is otherwise fine and I kind of like most of the piece, but I could really do without the drunk frat boys. How on earth did they get into that piece???

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1369574 - 02/09/10 03:20 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: RogerW]
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Ok I probably haven't listened to Prokofiev's non-piano works (and I rarely listen to non-piano works by other composers), but all the numerous piano works, whether it be the concertos, preludes or sonatas - all of them just sound too abstract for my liking.

I just have this profound distaste for Prokofiev. I remember trying to listen to Prokofiev's works after listening to countless works by Rachmaninoff (and hoping to hear similar styles since they are from the same era), but to me, Prokofiev's music is just garbled notes. Many dissonant sounds with no purpose. Very few melodic lines that I enjoy. Just utter...'garbage'. It's something which I personally don't consider music, almost like how I don't consider Karl Stockhausen's experiments with synthesizers to be 'music', just random notes with atrocious harmonies.

If you are perturbed with my views on Prokofiev, don't get me started on Bach =p

I'm the anti-Glenn Gould. Gould loved Bach but hated Chopin. I'm the opposite =p

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing

#1369580 - 02/09/10 03:29 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: stores
What about the Barenboim don't you like? Just curious.
It's hard to pin down. Some are lackluster. There are some mistakes. Some are excellent.
Originally Posted By: John_B
I have enormous respect for Barenboim but I often feel slightly unsatisfied by his Beethoven sonatas. This is probably more to do with me rather than Barenboim.
I have to assume that is true of me too just as I assume my ignorance of the Beethoven sonatas is coloring my judgment. I hope I will connect with them better once I've listened to them more.

I understand Perahia is working on recording the complete Beethoven sonatas. He's one of my favorite living pianists so I'd love to hear this.

Originally Posted By: Googlism
Anything by Prokofiev
Googlism, everyone has different taste and what we like and dislike can change. In general, I don't enjoy most contemporary composers but for some reason I'm crazy about Prokofiev. I happen to worship Bach.

Deborah

#1369651 - 02/09/10 05:30 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
xtraheat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: WV

I just have this profound distaste for Prokofiev. I remember trying to listen to Prokofiev's works after listening to countless works by Rachmaninoff (and hoping to hear similar styles since they are from the same era), but to me, Prokofiev's music is just garbled notes. Many dissonant sounds with no purpose. Very few melodic lines that I enjoy. Just utter...'garbage'. It's something which I personally don't consider music, almost like how I don't consider Karl Stockhausen's experiments with synthesizers to be 'music', just random notes with atrocious harmonies.

I have no problem with you disliking Prokofiev and modern composers, and you are entitled to your own opinion, but this is just complete ignorance.
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--

#1369662 - 02/09/10 05:49 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: xtraheat]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Prokofiev is okay, but I only actually LIKE a few of his works.
Ravel is my favorite composer, and I like every one of his works.

Hmm... The Liszt Grande Galop Chromatique (spelling?) comes to mind, but as a technical study it is quite good. And I've gained some appreciation for the solo piano Totentanz.

Overall, I guess am not very critical about music at all.

#1369675 - 02/09/10 06:17 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Orange Soda King]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
What never fails to amaze me is how someone can say they hate composer X on the basis of knowing a fairly small part of the whole range of the composer's music.

#1369678 - 02/09/10 06:23 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: John_B]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: John_B
What never fails to amaze me is how someone can say they hate composer X on the basis of knowing a fairly small part of the whole range of the composer's music.

... and the other side of the coin : "Oh, I just love Liszt! I've heard his Liebesträume No. 3."

Regards,

#1369704 - 02/09/10 07:08 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: BruceD]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

... and the other side of the coin : "Oh, I just love Liszt! I've heard his Liebesträume No. 3."

Regards,

Luckily for those who say that, Liszt was not a one-hit wonder. wink

#1369734 - 02/09/10 08:13 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: xtraheat]
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@xtraheat
I stated my opinions as to why I dislike Prokofiev's works, which I think is a legit reason. Each composer has their own style of composing, and each audience has their preference. Glenn Gould loved Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, but did not enjoy Chopin, Schumann or Mozart. Heck, he even said "Mozart was a bad composer who died late rather than early". Mozart's style (consistent with his era) is easy to distinguish and I can understand why he would not like it. Do I disagree with Gould's assessment of the romantic era composers as well? Of course! Do I think that his reasoning is ignorant? No, it's logical and it was his opinion.

@JohnB
It would be difficult for the audience to attempt to listen to each work by a composer and then make judgments on them only after listening to them all. But as you mentioned, it is unfair to judge a composer by a select few works. That being said, I've been exposed and forced to listen to many Prokofiev pieces, and none of them made me want to listen to them again. It's not the performance that is at fault, it's just the rampant dissonant themes and mass unpredictability in his music which do not enlighten me.

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

#1369761 - 02/09/10 08:49 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
xtraheat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: WV
Have you ever heard Prok's 3rd Piano Concerto?
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--

#1369770 - 02/09/10 09:17 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: xtraheat]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I think a good place to try Prokofiev is his Symphony #1, the Classical Symphony. It has many melodic lines and a lot of humor too.

Deborah

#1369784 - 02/09/10 09:41 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: xtraheat]
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@extraheat
I have heard Prokofiev's 3rd, though only the 1st and 3rd. 1st is blah and the 3rd pretty much sums up what I expect Prokofiev to be all about - full of dissonant music. I can only imagine what the 2nd movement must be like.

@gooddog
Thats the kind of music I enjoy - melodies that are clear, dissonant harmonies to a minimum

#1369793 - 02/09/10 09:49 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Prokofiev is okay (I don't dislike him at all! Great composer, it's just personal taste, and I do kind of like him) but I actually REALLY REALLY like Shostakovich! (Shostokovich?)

The two piano concerti are SO cool, and the chamber music is really cool too! One of his quartets (I think) sounds like heavy metal or something, it's so awesome!

#1369803 - 02/09/10 09:58 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Orange Soda King]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I'm glad to hear that someone else has a problem with Beethoven 49 #2. I always thought I had some sort of genetic deficiency, at least now I have company wink I was tortured with it as a kid which didn't help.

I have never laughed so much at a PW post as I did reading this old one from Garbage thread. Thank you Janus; wicked humour. wink

Originally Posted By: Janus K.Sachs
Bach's Well Tempered Whatever: boring contrapuntal exercises. Except the Ave Maria prelude -- so pretty!

Handel's Messiah: any educated soul knows it's nothing compared to Israel in Egypt!

Beethoven's Appassionata: someone got out of the wrong side of the bed! Need a beer?

Beethoven's Ninth, all the late quartets and late piano sonatas: pretentious nonsense.

Schubert's Winterreise: can't handle a breakup, eh?

Schubert's Lieder: they lied to me!

Chopin's First Ballade: pianistic noise.

Schumann's Piano Concerto: sissy music.

Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony: where is the pasta, the gondolas, the bad tenor singing?!?

Dvorak's Ninth Symphony: coz the last movement copies the Jaws theme, man!

Liszt's Sonata in B minor: silly piano bashing.

Brahms's chamber music: better than the lulluby for going to sleep.

Wagner's Ring Cycle: better than Brahms's chamber music for going to sleep.

Tchaikovsky's Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Symphonies: closet too tight for you?

Mahler's Symphonies: John Williams does it better.

Rachmaninov's Concertos 2-3 and Pag. Rhapsody: if you needed therapy to compose such filth, I don't want to know what pre-therapy music sounds like!

All operas: coz classical vocals suck! Except Puccini's Nessum Dorma, coz long high notes are kewl during a football (i.e. soccer) game!

Scriabin's Op. 8 #12 Etude: childish temper tantrum.

Everything by Richard Strauss -- except "Sunrise" from Also Sprach Zarathustra. Duh!

Everything by Haydn and Mozart: too many notes, laughs, and not profound enough. Except the works in minor keys.

All ancient, medieval, and renaissance music: coz there's, like, no emotion whatsoever, man.

All modern music: too dissonant -- I luv triads! Oh, except Barber's Adagio for Strings -- that song is nice.

Yep that made my day.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1369805 - 02/09/10 10:00 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Canonie]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I read that thread, and that gave me a good laugh too. smile

#1369811 - 02/09/10 10:12 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
@xtraheat
I stated my opinions as to why I dislike Prokofiev's works, which I think is a legit reason. Each composer has their own style of composing, and each audience has their preference. Glenn Gould loved Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, but did not enjoy Chopin, Schumann or Mozart. Heck, he even said "Mozart was a bad composer who died late rather than early". Mozart's style (consistent with his era) is easy to distinguish and I can understand why he would not like it. Do I disagree with Gould's assessment of the romantic era composers as well? Of course! Do I think that his reasoning is ignorant? No, it's logical and it was his opinion.

@JohnB
It would be difficult for the audience to attempt to listen to each work by a composer and then make judgments on them only after listening to them all. But as you mentioned, it is unfair to judge a composer by a select few works. That being said, I've been exposed and forced to listen to many Prokofiev pieces, and none of them made me want to listen to them again. It's not the performance that is at fault, it's just the rampant dissonant themes and mass unpredictability in his music which do not enlighten me.

Just so ya know...Gould did not love Beethoven and considered most of his works to be "empty, banal, hedonistic, superficial and belligerent". About the Emperor concerto (which, oddly enough, he recorded and performed many times) he said, "it is a harmonically simple-minded work and an impossible mixture of naivete and professionalism ... nowhere this side of Grand Old Opry can one encounter more unadorned II-V-I progressions." He called the Hammerklavier (once again, a work he recorded), "mathematical tomfoolery"(the fugue), and of the entire sonata, "the most inconsiderate, least rewarding piece Beethoven wrote for the piano."

Don't get me started on Gould. I am thankful to him for pushing Bach back under the mainstream spotlight where he belongs, but that's about it. The man was, certainly, endowed with many gifts. Had he not been quite so interested in promoting himself and placing his views ahead of the music itself, he might have been able to teach future generations a great deal.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1369812 - 02/09/10 10:13 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: xtraheat]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: xtraheat
Have you ever heard Prok's 3rd Piano Concerto?

Second Concerto! Second Concerto! Second Concerto! =)

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1369814 - 02/09/10 10:15 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: stores]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That post from Janus, above, DOES belong in the garbage.

♪ ≠ $

#1369817 - 02/09/10 10:18 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: stores]
Fredil Offline

Quote:
Rachmaninov's Concertos 2-3 and Pag. Rhapsody: if you needed therapy to compose such filth, I don't want to know what pre-therapy music sounds like!

Well, that's why he had therapy, you see...

Quote:
Everything by Haydn and Mozart: too many notes, laughs, and not profound enough. Except the works in minor keys.

LOL! +1, definitely! :P

#1369824 - 02/09/10 10:30 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: stores]
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That surprised me regarding Beethoven!

We all know Gould to have been quite an eccentric and peculiar pianist and person. I wouldn't doubt if there was a suggestion that he was in some part, insane, which would have created some unique and controversial views of music. He also hummed and chanted a lot while playing...

Compare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB76jxBq_gQ&feature=related
@ 1:58

with Lang Lang...and we know how crazy Lang Lang is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85hn8rJvgw

#1369825 - 02/09/10 10:34 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Orange Soda King]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Prokofiev is okay (I don't dislike him at all! Great composer, it's just personal taste, and I do kind of like him) but I actually REALLY REALLY like Shostakovich! (Shostokovich?)

(The first spelling is correct.) You should give a listen to some of his preludes and fugues for piano. (24 altogether, like Bach's WTC.) A few years ago I got to hear Christopher O'Riley perform a couple of them in Fort Worth, and they were fascinating pieces! Or perhaps you've already listened to some of them?

#1369826 - 02/09/10 10:35 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That surprised me regarding Beethoven!

We all know Gould to have been quite an eccentric and peculiar pianist and person. I wouldn't doubt if there was a suggestion that he was in some part, insane, which would have created some unique and controversial views of music. He also hummed and chanted a lot while playing...

Compare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB76jxBq_gQ&feature=related
@ 1:58

with Lang Lang...and we know how crazy Lang Lang is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85hn8rJvgw

I've been convinced he was nuts for years lol. I'll pass on watching either of the videos, since they're both arguably numbers 1 and 2 on my most hated pianists list. That said, I have read an extraordinary amount about Gould, including, a couple of bios and I own a few documentaries on DVD, as well.
My favorite quote from him, "They say I'm a hypochondriac, and so, I am."

♪ ≠ $

#1369828 - 02/09/10 10:37 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: ChrisKeys]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisKeys
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

(The first spelling is correct.) You should give a listen to some of his preludes and fugues for piano. (24 altogether, like Bach's WTC.) A few years ago I got to hear Christopher O'Riley perform a couple of them in Fort Worth, and they were fascinating pieces! Or perhaps you've already listened to some of them?

Chris O'Riley (who is a friend of mine), does a remarkable job with Shostakovich. Ashkenazy's recording of the same "24" is, also, well worth the listen.

♪ ≠ $

#1369829 - 02/09/10 10:46 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: stores]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Chris O'Riley (who is a friend of mine), does a remarkable job with Shostakovich.

Ah, very nice. Well, whenever you next see or talk to him, you can pass along that both my wife and I really enjoyed those preludes and fugues he did over at Ft. Worth. I'm sorry I didn't say something to him after the concert. :-\

#1369832 - 02/09/10 10:49 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

Thanks for that pointer. Starting at about 1:10, that's probably the coolest video I've seen all week. I'm not being sarcastic. Really.

-Jason

#1369841 - 02/09/10 11:01 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: ChrisKeys]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisKeys
Chris O'Riley (who is a friend of mine), does a remarkable job with Shostakovich.

Ah, very nice. Well, whenever you next see or talk to him, you can pass along that both my wife and I really enjoyed those preludes and fugues he did over at Ft. Worth. I'm sorry I didn't say something to him after the concert. :-\

You, certainly, should have. Chris, is a great guy and very approachable. I'll let him know his Ft. Worth fans are still talking about him. =)

♪ ≠ $

#1369849 - 02/09/10 11:17 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: gooddog]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gooddog
What about the Barenboim don't you like? Just curious.
There are some mistakes.

I guess I should give them another listen then. You must be very, very familiar with the sonatas. I thought I knew them well, but, perhaps not.

♪ ≠ $

#1369850 - 02/09/10 11:17 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: stores]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

Don't get me started on Gould. I am thankful to him for pushing Bach back under the mainstream spotlight where he belongs, but that's about it.

+1. Gould's Bach is indispensable, though IMO not the only recordings of Bach one should have in their library. Aside from that, I fail to hear much of interest in his recordings of other composers -particularly Beethoven and Mozart- and my library contains nothing of his except for Bach. (And not that much.)

I once heard Gould's recording of Beethoven's Op. 28 on the radio, and I almost crashed the car. (Well not really, but you get my point.)

Like Maria Callas and Barbra Streisand, Gould has his rabid fans, and good on them. Just count me out, though one could certainly make a case for Callas being one of the seminal operatic voices of all time. (But I'm not a huge fan, generally an honest respect, yet more than I could ever claim about Gould.)

#1369863 - 02/09/10 11:31 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: argerichfan]
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You should listen to his rendition of the popular Alla Turca by Mozart. Certainly one of the slowest interpretations I've heard - it bothered me quite a bit.

#1369865 - 02/09/10 11:32 PM Re: Clunkers by the great composers [Re: Googlism]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Unfortunately, I've heard it (and the rest of the sonata as well).

♪ ≠ $

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
Today at 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342063 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission