2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 341 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 340 341
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Beeboss, how fast can you do the Donna Lee head? I just realized that I'm barely comfortable with it at 220. Realistically, I probably couldn't really play it consistently above 210.

I don't know.I have been playing it quite fast but I usually make some slips.
I give it a try and let you know

Here is a bit of My Romance that I was playing today...

www.divshare.com/download/10420506-5a6

I worked out some of the Bill Evans harmony on the front but its a bit stilted, I need to play it in a bit really. And then some improvisation, trying out a few ideas.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
beeboss, this is sure to be a Youtube hit! You should video this. That was amazing. thumb First of all it's rare to find an uptempo version of My Romance. But then over that you created some great melodies over a diatonic progression. It sounded really fresh.

I'd like to learn the intro portion. Let me know what reharms are in there and I'll try it out. It does sound like Evans.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I was able to do Donna Lee at 230bpm but the last phrase required a little practice to get there. What was interesting was that practicing Donna Lee at that speed was like a warmup. After that my sixteenths started sounding smooth...

I'm working on a My Romance with a syncopated LH that's been challenging me for awhile. It got better today but every time I tried to record, I lose it. Anyway I figure I will even get better at it in the next couple of days. It's a little different rhythmically because the LH drives a nice swing rhythm in solo piano. This was inspired by a Kenny Werner version.

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
When Bill Evans solos, does he "abandon" time ? I love his swing and how the bars flow into each other, but how would trio members know where he was up to ? I mean, each bar in his solos is not always common time, right ?
For example, how would another trio member keep the beat ?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee
beeboss, this is sure to be a Youtube hit! You should video this. That was amazing. thumb First of all it's rare to find an uptempo version of My Romance. But then over that you created some great melodies over a diatonic progression. It sounded really fresh.

I'd like to learn the intro portion. Let me know what reharms are in there and I'll try it out. It does sound like Evans.

Glad you liked it. I may do a youtube version sometime but I need to practice the intro harmony first.
The intro harmony is pretty much what Bill played on the waltz for debby album version, I transcribed most of what I could hear and then filled in a few bits that I couldn't quite get and changed a few bits.
I haven't really written it out, just a few scrawled notes as I transcribed, but I can try to answer any harmonic questions you may have.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by custard apple
When Bill Evans solos, does he "abandon" time ? I love his swing and how the bars flow into each other, but how would trio members know where he was up to ? I mean, each bar in his solos is not always common time, right ?

Almost always the solo will be on the form of the tune, although sometimes they did play tricks with the time, doing alternate choruses in 3 and the 4, that kind of thing. Also, because they are so comfortable with the time they appear to pull the time around but actually they always know where they are.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

Almost always the solo will be on the form of the tune, although sometimes they did play tricks with the time, doing alternate choruses in 3 and the 4, that kind of thing. Also, because they are so comfortable with the time they appear to pull the time around but actually they always know where they are.

Bill Evans specifically -- on these ballad type tunes like My Foolish Heart and My Romance, he'll start off at ballad tempo, then go double time with the trio. So in effect, it was always in the form.

On some other tunes where he changes tempo, I think like newer versions of Nardis ('80s), he goes to the actual form tempo at the last few bars of his solo piano intro.

I have always wondered how they signal each other when the intro is finished. They don't look at each other and it looks so precise. Most other trios, I see some eye action between the rhythm section and the piano. Perhaps that's part of the mystique they cultivate by planning out some of these in advance. It seems like such a stressful job to be Bill's rhythm section.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, this is what I was trying to do with My Romance. I don't know what you call this style of playing. Let me know so I can describe it later. I just barely got the rhythm right so I wasn't focusing on the solo.

http://www.box.net/shared/z17d42boja

I found that it was distracting with the LH almost on a different rhythm with the RH and I think I'm starting to conquer this. At some point I'll be able to put the attention back to soloing...

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks beeboss and jazzwee for your responses. I think it would be kinda stressful to be in Keith Jarrett's trio too. They also don't signal to each other but seem to know when the intro ends, whether long/short, intensely elaborate/relatively simple.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks beeboss and jazzwee for your responses. I think it would be kinda stressful to be in Keith Jarrett's trio too. They also don't signal to each other but seem to know when the intro ends, whether long/short, intensely elaborate/relatively simple.

Since I only play solo piano (and playalongs), I'm a noob on this issue. So perhaps someone who gigs with a trio regularly can give us advice on such things as signaling solos, soloist sequence, trading 4's, stuff like that. Are there any assumed rules, like if you jam?

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Normally there is some clue in there - either the intro is over the form in which case everyone is expecting the time to start at the end of the intro, or a device will be used to bring the tune in in time, like a turnaround or vamp. Sometimes Jarrett just starts right in and it takes a few bars for the Jack and Gary to catch up. If the rhythm section is paying attention there shouldn't be a problem.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Jazzwee,
I get what you mean about the LH syncopation now. Thats a good effect, but hard to maintain for a long time.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Jazzwee,
I get what you mean about the LH syncopation now. Thats a good effect, but hard to maintain for a long time.

That's what I've been trying to do is keep at it for a long time without losing beats, or losing my place in time. It's almost like a walking bass thing, it requires a lot of concentration. The idea is Bass + inner voice, the inner voice done with the inside fingers (1 & 2) of both hands). Then my fingers 2-4 on the RH play the solo.

Is there a term for this kind of playing? The bass + chord is stride-like but the rhythm is more like a pickup.

You can see why it's hard for me to focus on the solo here smile I'm getting there though. It's like the last couple of days has used less effort (brain wise) to do the LH.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, take a look at this. The LH pattern is very similar to what I was doing though a different rhythmic pattern. Looks like it could be applicable to multiple things I master it. It fills in solo piano nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fVnvJSRb4

This one is the same hand movement

Bass + Inner voice but the inner voice is repeated twice...

I'm always attracted to rhythmically complex things -- except I can't execute yet.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
It sounds to me like the accompaniment is all in the left hand except maybe just occasionally note when the bass note is too far away he fills in with the RH, but I could be wrong. It's very hard to get a pattern like that going and keep it in the pocket and solo over it at the same time. Mehldau is the master at that pattern.
Weeks of slow practice with a metronome and scale patterns in the RH are required to gain the independence between the hands.

If that one is difficult then how about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqK1JJOFxw

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Actually it's very similar to what I was practicing so I was able to do it for extended periods. I played this same pattern to playing 3/4 (as in the video), 5/4. It was a lot of fun and was not so hard because the regular practice was paying off.

It was actually easier to solo over in 5/4 and 3/4 because there was more time. What I was doing (the Kenny Werner My Romance thing) actually was more difficult because it was almost like a double time feel.

I didn't realize this before but Mehldau uses this a lot. It could be assumed that Mehldau and Kenny Werner (one of his teachers) could have worked on this.

When I was copying his style here, I was playing mostly LH alone but the way I was originally taught this could be a mixture. I generically just call it Root(Bass) + Inner-Voice.

But specifically, my LH was always playing 1-5-7, and then when within reach, I could always add 9-3 from my RH when it was not being used to solo.

The only real variation to what I was doing was how many times to hit the inner voice. So in 5/4 I was doing
Bass + Inner + Inner + Bass + Inner (syncopated though, not on the beat).

This is kind of neat. Like a new discovery. I tried it on My Romance and ATTYA.

BTW - in 5/4, Mehldau used this pattern extensively in Riverman. I'm actually excited about maybe trying that. I remember posting many years ago at KC Forum that I wanted to play Riverman and it seemed so difficult. But really it's this pattern played like an Ostinato.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
If that one is difficult then how about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqK1JJOFxw

HAHA! LOL. That was almost exact but superfast! smile

Wow that is so distracting to do at this tempo.

Now one difficulty I had when doing this pattern in 5/4 and 3/4 was the melody. There was no easy transition of the melody from 4/4 for My Romance. Maybe if I were to play this, I'd have to start off with My Romance as a Ballad before I could do 5/4. Or maybe an intro ala Evans.

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Hi Glen,
Glad you liked it.
If you have never heard Hermeto's music you are in for a shock. It's like nothing else on this planet.
Here is a little classic Hermeto from the 80s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrFFEpick3A

Hey beboss,

Good stuff. Pyrotechnics on the piano is another interest of mine and I make very feeble attempts at it. Hermeto seems like a very interesting guy and I will continue to listen to his music, along with a tiny bit of Keith Jarrett.

Here is the stuff to which I am an aspirant. There's something for everyone... Gotta love it!

Yesterdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Cs_zb4q14

Dvorak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcZGPLAnHA

'round Midnight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ogyvI5GM8

Echoes of Spring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArVhGSY0Spw

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I had some fun practice doing 5/4 using this LH pattern ala Mehldau/Werner. If I sang the rhythm, I don't get lost.

Beeboss, how do you break up the beats on 7/4?

On 5/4, I'm
| 3 | 2 |
| 3 | 2 |
| 3 | 2 |
ala Take 5, all driven with the LH.

This left hand style doesn't seem to work on 7/4 on combinations I've tried.

My Jazz Blog

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
There were some talks about tempo earlier..I think the magic number is 300 for speed. my teachers tell me that you need to be able to play at least at that speed. Right now 240 is ok for me, 280 is doable.. but I'd like to get to the point where I can do 300 comfortably and 320-330 would be my limit.

I realized that it's one thing to just play fast.. but it takes a lot of work to be able to play evenly and actually feel the tempo. Playing fast also makes you realize your weaknesses technically.. some of the stuff I play at 280 lays fine, but some of the stuff licks/lines are almost unplayable.. so it really forces me to find ways to be more efficient at those lines I am struggling with. I am notiicng that a lot of my problems are related to how I use my pinky and how I use my thumbs.

In some ways playing fast is like riding a bike.. if you are in 'the zone' and you relaxed, it can be done effortlessly.. it's just matter of being able to finding that and be able to turn that switch on at will.

Also it helps be able to find people who you can play fast tempo with to test your progress. I did that the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was able to do about 260 okay with the band.. the problem is that it sped up to 300 bpm after the drum solo and the head out was unplayable at that speed :)

Page 9 of 341 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission