2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 106 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Today? ZERO. Me home sick today. Had 4 tunings scheduled. 3 homes, 1 church... Murphys Law strikes again.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jerry, with our "big storm" coming, you might be home a few days. Hope your feeling better soon.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Monster.

What? A storm? Oh goody..... Just looked at the national weather service. Not looking good for us for the next few days. Play time? We get to play?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Play time?? more than I want. Making some tools today and mating hammers to strings. Going to fix the leaky bathroom faucet. Waiting for my casters from the platters (sp?), they said they'd be done a week 1/2 ago...those guys are the worst, but when they have your stuff...

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Went for a 3 hour bike ride up to the local summit at 3,000 feet. Got a little chilly, but nothing like you folks in the frozen northland. It's pretty funny to hear Californians complain about the weather.

Removed the draconian flow restricter from my newly installed kitchen faucet, which was at a trickle. Rewired the living rooms stereo speakers.

Tuned, and touched up regulation and voicing on my piano. Jammed on a freshly tuned piano with my guitar playing friend Robert, AKA Martini Max. Sweet!

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Only did 3 today but all were pitch raises. 1st was a little church circa 1850 abandoned by the county and donated to a small group who promised to keep up the old cemetary in exhange for the old building. Clapboard, outhouse, wood stove. Called a few weeks ago with Kimball upright and Adam Schaff upright, both donated and hauled to church in a horse trailer. I'm to pick. Both were 1920. Best of the worst was the Kimball, 48 inch. Was able to bring it up to pitch, reglue a split key and align some dampers. Gospel picking and singing tonite!

Next Wurlitzer spinet, CLP butts, 1/2 step flat, ease front rail bushings, etc.
Samick studio with back checks tapping fallboard, 1/2 step flat. Owner was rabid, foaming political "independent." Brief, but interesting conversation...

T
T
Picked up action from a Schumman console, 15 broken damper springs and 20-25 broken hammer butt flange cords.
Had a no show at a church to be let in.
Had oil changed in car and set up more appointments.
Expecting 2-4 inches of snow next 24 hours.

PTG Associate
Steinway Studio
Yamaha CP300
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tuned for;

http://www.shenyunperformingarts.org/

This weekend on Sat and Sunday.

Yamaha CFIII about 4 years old.

Stayed for the Show on Sunday with my 18 year old son and his Grand Mother (my mother)

If anyone has the opportunity to see or otherwise be involved with this show.

Do it.

It is a fabulous show and a truly great cast of people.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Totally sunny here all day...so......I played hooky....and went to the courts.....shhhhh

[Linked Image]

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Today I have been working on the band library, giving me a real appreciation for librarians for large ensembles.

Yesterday we went to the Pacific Flyway Festival, and we were able to go to St. Peter's Chapel at Mare Island, the largest collection of Tiffany windows west of the Mississippi. I saw a reversal of symbols on the way out there: A dove attacking a hawk!

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Totally sunny here all day...so......I played hooky....and went to the courts.....shhhhh

[Linked Image]

Now I know why my phones rang twice as much today. grin

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Larry Buck
Tuned for;

http://www.shenyunperformingarts.org/

This weekend on Sat and Sunday.

Yamaha CFIII about 4 years old.

Stayed for the Show on Sunday with my 18 year old son and his Grand Mother (my mother)

If anyone has the opportunity to see or otherwise be involved with this show.

Do it.

It is a fabulous show and a truly great cast of people.

I tuned a Hamburg Steinway 4 times for this troupe when they were in San Jose last year. I hope I get the gig again when they're in town.

Pretty amazing group of performers, very interesting to watch the dancers practice during the tuning. The ochestra, particularly the drums, made me glad I had my ETD with me.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I got some feedback via e-mail from my Saturday job:

Date: Monday, February 8, 2010 6:32 PM
To: billbremmerrpt
Subject: Tuning update
Size: 5 KB
Hi Bill -
Thank you so much again. I hope that your trip home was uneventful in a good way.

I really like the sound of the piano and appreciate the significance of your ability to optimize the piano's unique qualities. It is remarkable that your tuning seems to naturally resolve my specific concerns: it really opened up the 3rd octave from sounding indistinct and nasally, and made the 4th octave a stronger, more pleasing foundation for the treble. The fifth octave is still sweet and the 6th octave sings out more. The voicing balanced the dynamic of the bass and the 3rd octave: overall I feel that the tone of the entire piano is more balanced with a smoother transition from one octave to the next.
Re the soft pedal adjustment: I'm still figuring out what that does. The pedal effect is now pretty subtle, so I may want to split the difference.

It's really a pleasure to work with you: it seems like the piano needs to be tuned every 4 months, so I will see you at least by June.

Take care,
Laura

All of this using the original EBVT and tempered octaves. No two octave sizes the same as another. Unequal temperament. She was afraid to use the soft pedal only because it over shifted and the hammers were slightly brushing neighboring strings, creating an odd effect. Now, she has to learn to use it all over again. I will gladly drive over 100 miles to serve this customer whenever she wants me, as long as I can fit it into my schedule.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Visited an old friend/client, and found her piano to be heavily smelling of smoke...but otherwise in good shape after 8 years!...house fire...gave some free advice, and promised her it'll air out, eventually.

Tuned 5 today, and drove 135 miles round trip. Sold a full Dampp Chaser system for a Yamaha C2 pitched at -24C overall. To get to this piano, I climbed into a house elevator with my new client, and shot up 3 floors to an unbelievable room overlooking Lake Michigan.

Did a Service Bond tuning for our local Yamaha dealer in another town.

Listened to some loud music while in the car. Headphones for ear protection in homes, and CD's cranked in the car. Makes sense to me!

Got a total-gas-happily flipped out-smile because of my new netbook with Tune-Lab loaded on it...did ALL my updates in the field and arrived home to zero work at the home computer as a result.

Noticed that TuneLab has Bill Bremmer tunings pre-loaded on it. Considered trying it but got scared I'll like it and then Bill would be right. No, I decide I can't allow this. (just kidding Bill, I'll give it a whirl once I know what I'm doing with the new program!)

Life is good.

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
S
S
I'm not a tech, but I absolutely love love reading this thread!!! Sometimes It makes me wanna learn the trade and become a tech myself. I hope this one just keeps running.

Steinway K-52
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Interesting thread.....
Had half a relaxing day...with a bit of work.
Just got back from a week in Sitka AK where I serviced the Steinway D they bought last year and then was on duty for the Sitka Jazz Festival....
While I was there I did a couple of private calls and some outreach in two of the community's schools....Taking an upright apart, throwing (gently) the keys to the kids and then pretending not to know how to put them back in....got some great questions....90 5 and 6 year olds....

Had the privilege of presenting 2 clinics at the Jazz Festival on Saturday entitled 'The innermost workings of the Steinway Grand Piano'...again, some great questions and a lot of pride as the funding for this piano was raised from public donations in this community of less than 9,000 folks.

I'm happy to report that the piano sang and soared under the expert hands of Marco Diaz, pianist with the John Santos Sextet...one of the headline acts who had made the long trip, like me, from the Bay Area....An amazing festival...I hope I get the chance to go back!

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Tuned an Evestaff Miniroyal. First time I've been presented with a short piano and felt confident approaching it. Got the temperament right after half an hour, was very careful checking 5ths, 12ths and 17ths to balance the octaves and achieve a good stretch. The top and bottom are now perfectly balanced, with nice progression all the way up for all the intervals. The customer watched me all the way through and I explained what I needed to be doing, and about inharmonicity. Very satisfied customer at the end! A very pleasing job.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Zero again for me today. Home sick still.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Been aligning strings and hammers, tweaking dampers, getting ready to level strings.

Jerry, gettin' much snow? been snowing all day here, only about 4-5" so far.

So what heck do you have anyway? That old eye and a-- h--- problem? can't see gettin your a-- out of bed to go to work?...jk

Hope your over it soon.

Les

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Got a recurrence of bronchitis and a fever with coughing from my toes on up. Doc says lots of that going around. It's a relapse of what people had earlier. Seems weird to me. Never heard of that one before. Always thought once you had it, you were free for the year and if you caught something else, it was a new bug. Guess not.

Yeah, snowing quite a bit here too. I hear the roads are slushy and not good driving. I get to stay home, post here and annoy you people instead. [Linked Image]

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 9 of 106 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission