2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
gotcha

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

T
T
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by T'sMom
Originally Posted by Mark_C
P.S. I said up there that I think "finger pedaling" rather than "regular" pedaling is the way to go in this piece.
I was being theoretical. smile
Today I went and tried it, and I take it back. I'd go more with regular pedaling -- but probably lightly on most pianos.

Holding the pedal down for the whole measure?

Yes -- but lightly, if you can.

And don't forget that a lot of people disagree that it's a good idea.

You're agreeing with the whole measure? I'm sorry, but, I have to say, absolutely not. At most half pedal (1/4 even better) would be appropriate and you should change it with every broken chord.

This is how I like it! Half pedal and changing mid-measure. It's so nice to know someone else does too. One of the rare times so far that I've disagreed with my teacher.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Reviving this thread as I just started this piece; I was on the hunt for just the right piece to learn - something not too easy, not too difficult, not too long, that I would like to play / add to repertoire, and that will teach me something new. I think I found it here. I checked the piano syllabus for something around grade 4; this is listed as grade 3, but it fits the above criteria. For those interested, I found this thread as I specifically wondered about the pedaling, and so I googled "Bach WTC Prelude C major pedaling" or something similar.

I'm going to work on it without pedal, as suggested above, in an attempt to improve my legato and technique. I also plan on using this piece to work on sight reading; incidentally; I was very happy with my sight reading on the first pass, but I will need time to play fluidly.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Below is the version I've been listening to:

https://youtu.be/Hy2tnBwx-Ow

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
But, of course if you're playing it for yourself, you are free to play it any way you like. It doesn't seem that there is much agreement about how it 'should' be played and I doubt anyone here has consulted Mr. Bach. Play it the way you like it best.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Flutter/half pedal - if there's too much dissonance or too much mud you have too much pedal. See how much legato/holding you can get with fingers then add pedal sparingly to your liking smile

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
It is an old thread - 2010 - but weird to see that I responded to it back then.

Recently I've been restoring a 2 manual harpsichord built in 1969. Its 7 feet long, with 3 ranks of strings. One thing I have discovered while playing it is that it has a very sharp attack and a short sustain (compared to a piano) while the key is depressed. The sustain does not last as long as a piano, and the volume is much less. But the notes do not damp all that well. The dampers are very small pieces of felt that rest on the strings when the key is not depressed. So the instrument has quite a bit of "ring" to it, and residual noise even after the keys are released and the dampers fall back on the strings, although it does not last more than a few seconds. The three ranks of strings (which can be turned on or off in various combinations), also pluck at different times, so there is some action noise that is very different from piano action noise.

It would be very difficult to get a similar effect on the piano since it is so resonant and powerful, the dampers work so well, and the action noise is so different. Crisp attack, soft volume, short sustain, and a "ring".

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Inlanding
Originally Posted by rockdog
I know that the "purist" does not pedal Bachs Prelude in C major, but for the beginners who want to enhance the performance with pedaling. I am wondering if you pedal at the beginning of each measure in between the first and second note of the left hand or pedal down before the first note of the left hand.

This is the first recording I made of this piece. I did most everything I could to hide pedal use, but it's quite obvious I kept using it to cover dynamics, control, etc. Need to keep practicing to keep my foot off that thing. ...and that darn red light... wink

Best to not use the pedal at all with Bach as finger control is key, pun intended.

[color:#3333FF]Prelude in C Major BWV 84[/color]6

Glen

I like this account. The dynamics are just right. I notice that you're using Czerny's version, with the extra bar, which, personally, doesn't bother me a bit. There are some folks, however, who would object pretty strongly!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by johnlewisgrant
Originally Posted by Inlanding
Originally Posted by rockdog
I know that the "purist" does not pedal Bachs Prelude in C major, but for the beginners who want to enhance the performance with pedaling. I am wondering if you pedal at the beginning of each measure in between the first and second note of the left hand or pedal down before the first note of the left hand.

This is the first recording I made of this piece. I did most everything I could to hide pedal use, but it's quite obvious I kept using it to cover dynamics, control, etc. Need to keep practicing to keep my foot off that thing. ...and that darn red light... wink

Best to not use the pedal at all with Bach as finger control is key, pun intended.

[color:#3333FF]Prelude in C Major BWV 84[/color]6

Glen

I like this account. The dynamics are just right. I notice that you're using Czerny's version, with the extra bar, which, personally, doesn't bother me a bit. There are some folks, however, who would object pretty strongly!
One should remember that Bach would have played this piece on his clavichord. The piece is simply a series of chords. Therefore, and in accordance with the stylistic conventions of the day, he would have held down all the notes of each chord until a harmonic shift or repetition occurred. This allowed the instrument to sing. He also would have held selected individual notes longer than their indicated duration when bringing out a harmonic movement or rhythm. Today, the equivalent technique on the piano is to achieve the same result much more easily with judicious use of the damper pedal.

Ignorance of the instruments in Bach’s day has led to the completely unjustified view of “No pedal for Bach”. It’s the same ignorance that leads people to say Bach invented Equal Temperament.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission