2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Please look careful at the following wink

[Linked Image]

You will notice that the first interval at the top of the descent is in fact a minor 3rd (as is the final Eb-Gb), but the rest in between are all major ones. I have worked out a few alternatives so far, (mostly based around the principle of the sliding the second finger from Gb-F and Db to C wherever they occur and maintaining legato in the top line), however I am still not 100% happy with any of them[1].

So I thank you in advance for your suggestions... oh, and of course will award a PianoWorld Virtual Gold Star for the first person to identify the (admittedly not particularly obscure) work in question smile

Michael B.
[1] My teacher has been on holiday for 2 weeks so I can't ask his advice until Friday!

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
How about this :

Bb/Gb - 4/2
A/F - 5/1
Ab/E - 3/1
G/Eb - 5/2
Gb/D - 3/1
F/Db - 5/2
E/C - 4/1
Eb/b - 3/1
D/Bb - 4/2
Db/A - 3/1
C/Ab - 5/2
B/G - 4/1
Bb/Gb - 3/2
A/F - 5/1
etc., - continue as above :

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gold star? I'll take it! Liszt's paraphrase on "Rigoletto" by Verdi. Though not, as you said, especially difficult!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Goldberg:
Gold star? I'll take it! Liszt's paraphrase on "Rigoletto" by Verdi. Though not, as you said, especially difficult!
Isn't that "Rigor Mortis" by Joe Green? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sorry Goldberg, I'm fresh out of Gold Stars, but worry ye not, I can go one better and award you a Proper Trophy instead smile

[Linked Image]

Bruce, thanks very much for the suggestion: by the time I saw your message last night I didn't have time to compare how it feels shifting the lower-note thumb on the two adjacent white notes, rather than sliding the second just before and doing 2-1 instead. As with a lot of these kind of situations, as long as the top line is clearly articulated and legato, one can get away with less than legato for the lower line. When I get home tonight I'll give the various options a run-through and report back soon.

Horowitzian:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Pah, I can resist anything (except temptation, obviously smile )

Cheers,

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ahoy there,

Here's what I decided on in the end. It turns out that a 4/2-4/2 downward double slide seems to work well for my hand, and gets me off to a good start on the way down. It then becomes a 3/2-4/2 at the octave below:

Cb/Ab/D - 5/3/1
Bb/Gb - 4/2
A/F - 4/2
Ab/E - 3/1

G/Eb - 5/2
Gb/D - 4/1
F/Db - 5/2
E/C - 4/2

Eb/Cb - 3/1
D/Bb - 5/2
Db/A - 4/1
C/Ab - 5/2

Cb/G - 4/1
Bb/Gb - 3/2
A/F - 4/2
Ab/E - 3/1

G/Eb - 5/2
Gb/D - 4/1
F/Db - 5/2
E/C - 4/2

Eb/Cb - 3/1
D/Bb - 5/2
Db/A - 4/1
C/Ab - 5/2

Cb/G - 4/1
Bb/Gb - 3/2
Gb/Eb - 2/1

I tried the thumb shift across the adjacent white notes, but couldn't get comfortably with it. I've got into the habit of sliding the second finger of the last black note of each Gb and Db when doing descending minor thirds[1], and the same technique seems to work OK with a bit of practice in the 'major' case too. YFMV of course smile

Best regards,

Michael B.
[1] E.g. La Leggierezza, which has positively oodles of 'em in the middle section.

U
Up Offline
U
This it what's said in my sheets, for those who have the sheets without the suggested fingering. I see this thread is old, but someone sometime might wonder about the same thing smile

Cb/Ab/D - 5/3/1
Bb/Gb - 4/2
A/F - 5/1
Ab/E - 4/1

G/Eb - 5/2
Gb/D - 4/1
F/Db - 5/2
E/C - 4/1

Eb/Cb - 3/1
D/Bb - 5/2
Db/A - 4/1
C/Ab - 5/2

Cb/G - 4/1
Bb/Gb - 3/2
A/F - 5/1
Ab/E - 4/1

G/Eb - 5/2
Gb/D - 4/1
F/Db - 3/2
E/C - 4/1

Eb/Cb - 3/1
D/Bb - 5/2
Db/A - 4/1
C/Ab - 5/2

Cb/G - 4/1
Bb/Gb - 3/2
Gb/Eb - 2/1

Allmost the same as PoStTeNeBrAsLuX wrote once uppon a time.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX
Please look careful at the following wink

[Linked Image]

You will notice that the first interval at the top of the descent is in fact a minor 3rd (as is the final Eb-Gb), but the rest in between are all major ones. I have worked out a few alternatives so far, (mostly based around the principle of the sliding the second finger from Gb-F and Db to C wherever they occur and maintaining legato in the top line), however I am still not 100% happy with any of them[1].

So I thank you in advance for your suggestions... oh, and of course will award a PianoWorld Virtual Gold Star for the first person to identify the (admittedly not particularly obscure) work in question smile

Michael B.
[1] My teacher has been on holiday for 2 weeks so I can't ask his advice until Friday!

I never conciously practised major third fingering, but I stumbled across something very similar to the minor third fingering that enables full legato throughout- although I've rarely played anything that requires it. I couldn't write it down off the top of my head, but have you tried the same finger slides as in Chopin's fingering for minor thirds? The principle really isn't very different.

PS. basically slide 2 from G flat to F and D flat to C. If you simply think it through and logically relate the rest to the primarily similar fingering for minor thirds, you'll save yourself a heck of a lot of time trying to decode a few thousand confusing digits one by one. The principle is scarcely different at all. It's so close that my hand basically landed on it by itself at some point after I got to grips with the minor fingering- and I'm certainly no genius. Take that as your basis and you should find there's not a single place where you have to break the legato in either voice.

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 02/11/10 10:39 PM.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission