2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 425 1 2 3 424 425
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
WELCOME!

[Linked Image]
This is a thread for people who have a strong affection for Chopin or who just might be curious about him.

The Index below will take you to some of the topics we've covered. When you click on the topic, it will either link you to a page on which many responses are written, so in this case, you would have to scroll down the page to see them all. OR if it is a specific topic/subect, the link provided will take you directly to that page. PLEASE feel free to respond to any of the topics discussed or add a comment of your own.

PLEASE NOTE: The following index is not up to date. frown It just got away from me, and I couldn't keep up. However, I hope what is here will get you interested, and you will check out those pages that are not included below. smile

An Overview of Chopin\'s Life
Introduction and Comments by Chopin Lovers
A Visit to Poland
The Chopin Companion by Walker
Chopin\'s Sexual Preference
Five Easy Chopin Pieces Site
The Enchanting (and easy) A minor Waltz
More on Chopin\'s Sexual Preference
A Recording of the Nocturne in C minor
Death of His Youngest Sister
Chopin\'s Favorite Sister
Madame Sand
What Chopin\'s Handwriting Reveals About Him
Is Chopin\'s Music Spiritual?
Download Free Chopin Music from U of C
Chopin\'s Dual Personality? Hutchings
Pedron Tell Us of M. Chopin
One of many portraits of Chopin
An Outrageous Article by D. Wright
In Defense of our Hero
The Chopin Momument in Warsaw
A Chopin Story as Told by His Piano
The Jenny Lind Story
When Feeling Sad...by MaryRose
Kathleen Receives the M. Chopin CD
Hershey Felder is One of Us!!
Herhsey as George Gershwin Also
Hershey Felder (M. Chopin) Drops In!!
Herhsey...with some great information
Was Chopin Bipolar?
A Dag of Chopin
The Actual Last Photo of Chopin
Hershey answers some questions...The Chopin Roll?
Tourist Photos of Valldemossa
Hershey with Advice on playing Grande Polonaise Brilliante, 48.1 and 55.1
More Advice on Playing from Hershey...Scroll down the Page
The "Names" of Chopin Preludes...by von Bulow
Chopin in Love...when young
Chopin in Love with Tytus
A Review of Stanislaw Drzewiecki recital by MaryRose
Even Hershey had a anxiety attack.
George Sand...gosh, not much to look at
MaryRose Tells Us Another Side of Sand
Some Great Photos courtesy of Hershey
A MUST Book for All Chopinophiles
SUPER RESOUCE SITES ON CHOPIN
Silly photos of Chopin
Solange\'s Feelings About Chopin.. courtesy of MaryRose

A Trip to Poland in 2010

What Attracts Us to Chopin

We\'re Down on Sand

Chopin\'s Cause of Death..Scroll Down

A Physical Description of Chopin.Scroll Down

Movie and Books about Chopin

Chopin\'s Fingering Method

Could Chopin Have Composed Anywhere? Scroll Down

A Chopin Concert From Lizst Addict

MaryRose\'s Love Interest at 14

A Letter of Liszt\'s purchased by Hershey

Advice from Hersh on Attempting Difficult Pieces

Chopin\'s Variations on a Theme by Rossini

A Portrait Gallery of Chopin\'s Family

Some Rubinstein Recordings of Chopin\'s Works

Trouble playing Chopin\'s 17th prel...ecital?
Some Chopin Concerts to Download

Eleanor Bailie\'s Book - A graded guide
Tips for Playing Nocturne 55.1
Some wonderful Chopin music by Gerg
Serious discussion regarding the recital
Graded difficulty of Chopin Preludes
Question/Answer: How to Play Chopin\'s 4th prelude
Initial Thoughts on "Guidelines" for the Concert
Continued discussion regarding concert
Still more discussion and firming up of plans about the concert
Chopin\'s Actual Piano! Wow!!
John Bell\'s On You-Tube...Chopin\'s 4th Prelude
Another Chopin Piano
Discussion about Duplicate Performances of the Preludes
The First Prelude Assignment List
The order of difficulty of the preludes
The Date of the Concert
MaryRose\' review of concert by Bobby Chen
Agreed: No Duplications
Still more discussion on who\'s playing what??
Real or fake Chopin flute composition
Wow...Hershey Felder playing in our Concert!!
Names given to the preludes (NOT by Chopin)...Van Bulow, I think
Some other possible preludes??
The "Frozen" Final (ahem) List of who is playing what!
Kathleen\'s opinon of Agerich playing of Chopin
Rubinstein\'s opinion of Horowitz
Possibility of Comparing the 24 preludes to the etudes??
Some suggestions for possible Chopin music for a wedding MaryRose\'s Review of a Lecture...Chopin, Delacroix and Sand
Chopin\'s Method of Composing
Some comments about Sand..not too kind, but...if the shoe fits
More about Chopin and Sand
A super performance of three preludes on You-tube by a non-professional
Should We Know about Composer\'s Lives?
Still more interesting information about Sand, Chopin and Liszt
A Video Game about Chopin -
Chopin\'s Technique
Detailed Information about the Chopin Video Game
A Documentary Film about Chopin --Chopin\'s Afterlife
More on Chopin\'s Technique and Style
Perhaps a Chance for Us to View Documentary

Discussion For a Chopin Forum Expert Advice from Hersh Felder regarding No-Chopin Piano Teacher Sotto Voce Recommendation for All O...teresting Discussion Questions by Bassio Responses to Bassio\'s Questions
St...oncern about Finding Info on the Thread

Chopin\'s Songs Peyton Performance of Chopin\'s "Spring Song"
Glenn Gould & Bach A Celebration of the Piano
Sotto Voce to Play in our Chopin Concert, No. 26
Chopin or Bust!
More Gould and Comparing 3 Different Pianist on Prelude #17
MaryRose - An Article on Chopin\'s Orchestration
Photos of Hersh in Paris
A Chopin Robot??
Mary Rose - The 4th Prelude and an article on understanding musical structure
A Chopin Montage
An Old Radio Program - "The Lost Chopin Piece"
The Devil\'s Trill - The Lost Chopin Piece???
Bassio provides us with wonderful images of famous musicians\' hands---scroll down
Belechacz - Plays the Barcarolle..Winner of 2005 Chopin Competition

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Chopin is great! I listen to his music more than any other composer, that's not to say that I don't enjoy Beethoven etc. as much as the next person, but I always find myself more wrapped up in Chopin's music, it has a certain allure to it.

I especially like the Nocturnes and Waltzes. But I haven't heard most of his material still, hopefully someday soon I'll get around to listening to all of it, I haven't really heard any of the Preludes / Polonaises / Mazurkas etc. yet. I'm sure they are all beautiful and powerful pieces, I've just been too wrapped up in the nocturnes I guess. The first Chopin piece I ever heard was the Nocturne No. 20 in C# Minor and I've been hooked on those ever since. I haven't heard nearly all of them, just a handful that I've found recordings of online. But I listen to them a lot. :p

I can't really think of much else to say right now as I'm still relatively new to the wonderful world of classical piano and don't know a great deal.

Anyways, get well soon Kathleen! thumb

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Kathleen, you know how I feel. I think it's a really fine idea. I hope it flies and that there'll be a lot of cross over from the Pianist Corner as well.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks for responding so quickly, AS. (Sorry, I just can't bring myself to call you a schmoe. Anyone who loves Chopin does not fit into that category). laugh

I envy you in that you have an unlimited number of hours (and, indeed, a lifetime) of joy ahead of you when you have the time you discover the rest of Chopin's music.

That you were hooked on his Nocture in C# just shows that you are, indeed, a member of the "club." smile

Please, please ...drop in as often as you can. We'd like to make this site a big-time winner, as it should be.

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Frycek:

O.K. I have started the ball rolling...now I'm going to count on you to help it continue to do so. smile

Any and all infor and insights about him is what this site is all about.

And, I happen to know you are an authority even though you will deny it. :rolleyes:

Starting tomorrow (boy, I'm beat tonight), I am going to put in a little tidbit about him or his music or his style or his life... then, we'll just let it go from there.

I am especially looking forward to blasting out of the water some of those strange and perfectly ridiculous notions people have about him.

O.K. Fact #1, Although as an adult he reached the height of 5'7, he never weighed more than 100 pounds in his whole life.

How in the world could a man of such a small stature create music of such dynamic range, power and strength?

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
[O.K. Fact #1, Although as an adult he reached the height of 5'7, he never weighed more than 100 pounds in his whole life.

How in the world could a man of such a small stature create music of such dymanic power and strength?

Kathleen [/QB]
According to That Woman (George Sand) if you can belive the description she gave of a character allegedly patterned after Chopin, unclothed his physique was actually quite attractive, resembling a young teenaged boy who had yet to "fill out." In spite of his chronic poor health almost all descriptions of Chopin mention that he looked younger that he actually was, perhaps because of his very boyish build. Even at his last public performance, a London benefit concert for Polish refugees, when he was 37 and severely ill, someone described him as a delicate looking young man of thirty wearing a pale grey suit and carrying a tiny watch he consulted often. The concert started late, a thing which exacerbated his already frayed nerves. He hated performing in public. The tiny watch was a present he'd received as a boy of ten and carried the rest of his life. After Chopin's death his sister literally "stole" it from his safe, along with his personal letters, probably on Chopin's instructions, so it would remain in the family and not become part of his "estate" which was sold at auction.

[Linked Image]
K
K
Chopin, the poet of the piano. I can't find myself enjoying any other music from another composer as I enjoy Chopin's.

I refuse to learn to play anything else other than Chopin's pieces. To me his piano sings, his music flows like no one else's. It is romantic and full of feelings.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No arm twisting required here. I'm working on the Nocturne in D Flat - my favorite of all the Nocturnes. While I listen to Rubinstein's and Lang Lang's version occasionally, my favorite rendition is Robin Alciatore's (www.artofpiano.com) on her Moonlight CD. Next, I'll be learning the Etude in E Major. After that, I'll be taking a crack at the Fantasie Impromptu. My teacher wants me to learn pieces from other composers, which I'm doing. I recently finished learning Schubert's Serenade (Standchen). But for me, there's nothing that comes close to Chopin's masterpieces. Everytime I listen to his music, it's like having a warm blanket wrapped around my soul.

Chopin loved singers. I believe that's why his melodies are so characteristically lyrical. They absolutely fascinate me.

Regards,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
dig dat

heh

I always find myself drawn to playing Chopin. Even to the point where I conciously attempt to play other music, but am simply drawn to his works.

I know it's trite to say but I think more than anyone else I would love to have heard him play.

Frank

H
H
I was reading this book from out local libary called Frederic Chopin An illustrated Biography By Victor Seroff. I would like to share this with Chopin's lovers.
"Frederic also revealed to Delphine Potocka that while he was composing his Etudes, he had at the same time been seriously contemplating some studies -he called them exercises- less difficult for less advanced student of piano.

In writing my Etudes I tried to put to use not only science but also art. Since a Virtuoso must practice for a long time, he should be given exercises in which he will find proper food for his ears and his soul, lest he be bored to death. I am disturbed because there are no beautiful exercise for beginners.
A virtuosos has everything open to him; when he is bored with exercises , he can reach out for the most beautiful music. But a poor fellow who can not play anything needs beautiful exercises that will save him from becoming discussted with music. I have tried to write something of this kind but I haven't been successful, because for the beginners everything is difficult. Perhaps I'll postpone this work until later."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I know my love for Chopin is nothing compared to yours, Kathleen. For me I think he is - together with Mozart - the one I like most after Johan Sebastian smile
But i spent one evening this week listening to Chopins three sonatas played by a 21 year old. The sonatas are amazing and a little scary and i can't imagine how someone could possibly play them not to speek about writing them.

And my idea of a perfect evening is to hear my favourite pianist play the second (or the first)of Chopin''s pianoconcerts live - with me sitting close enough to admire his hands all the way. heart

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Ragnhilde, Chopin worshiped Johan Sebastian as well so he'd probably have found you good company. I'm a devotee myself.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi,

What a nice idea for a thread! I'm a 'partial' devotee - I have quite a few Chopin CD's, in particular the Ballades and Etudes. My favourite piece by Chopin is the Grande Polonaise Brilliante.

I have a question and a small piece of information.

Question: What do the 'hardcore' Chopin followers think about the Godowsky Etudes? I understand there is quite a bit of controversy with regards to them.

Info: The US group Pink Martini use Chopin's Andante Spinato for their track 'Le Soledad'. If you ever wanted to hear Chopin played over a Latin rhythm, then now is your chance!
You can hear the whole track here:

http://www.pinkmartini.com/cd/pm_sympatique.html

"Somewhere between a 1930s Cuban dance orchestra, a classical chamber music ensemble, a Brasilian marching street band and Japanese film noir is the 12-piece Pink Martini.

Part language lesson, part Hollywood musical, the Portland, Oregon-based ‘little orchestra’ was created in 1994 in Portland, Oregon by Harvard graduate and classically trained pianist Thomas M. Lauderdale"

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
smile smile smile

I am totally overwhelmed by all your responses. Thank you all.

Just from these alone, we have much to discuss and debate and share.

Right now, I'm waiting for the Geek Squad (computer nerds from Best Buy) to come and make my computer wireless. OH, HAPPY DAY!

This will allow me to carry it around all over the house instead of having to sit here at my desk, hunched over and causing my back to protest very loudly.

I would like to respond to some of your threads. Not that I am an expert (only an expert in my love for his music). But I've read many books about him (but Frycek is the master!) And I must bow to her knowledge. I swear I don't know where she gets it all. But we'll manage, over the next few weeks/months, to pick her brain. laugh

And, as a few of you have stated, although I do love other composers' music, only Chopin finds that spot somewhere deep within and manages to speak with music the words I wish I could say.

Jolly Roger: I love your analogy of the warm blanket. thumb

The doorbell just rang.

Til later,
Kathleen

W
W
Thankyou for starting this thread.

I do like all kinds of music and enjoy many composers. However I must say that I have fallen head over heels in love with Chopin's music. The more I hear of it, the more I want to improve my piano skills to learn that wonderful music and to play it as well as possible to give it justice. I dream of the day I can sit down at a piano and perform some of those difficult pieces to entertain others and bring a little bit of Chopin to their lives too.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It was while chatting today to Frycek about the
Revolutionary Etude 10.12 that I allowed my mind
to imagine the catalyst which sparked Chopin's dramatic burst of national fervour.

One of the stories goes that he had to be persuaded by a close friend not to allow his boyish resentment at the Russian capture of Warsaw ... to result in him becoming cannon-fodder by taking up a gun in defence of his beloved homeland ... it doesn't seem to be clearly documented exactly when he wrote the Etude ... but the popular image seems to be kept alive of a slim youthful patriot hurling his most potent weapon ... a raging Etude of patriotic defiance at the the big bully from the east...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Actually, Chopin was Polish. He was born Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin in the village of Żelazowa Wola, Poland, to a Polish mother and French expatriate father. Hailed as a child prodigy in his homeland, Chopin left for Paris at the age of 20. In Paris, he made a career as a performer and teacher as well as a composer, and adopted the French variant of his name, "Frédéric-François". (Wikipedia.)

No doubt though, he was clearly inspired by his newfound country.

Regards,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I think the Ballade no. 1 is one of the finest pieces of music ever composed. The more I listen to this incredible composer, the more I hear his genius. Absolutely brilliant music.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
They say there's not been a day since 1849, not even during the two world wars, when Chopin's grave has been without flowers.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 425 1 2 3 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission