Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (Alan Tripp, Alan F, Almaviva, AllanH, anamnesis, 40 invisible), 1508 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 101 of 277 < 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 276 277 >
Topic Options
#980444 - 12/21/07 03:05 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
And the scene that will make the ladies weep in the theatres:

The death scene.

Don't forget that.

I am imagining the scene now in front of me. With the Lacrymosa of Mozart (exactly as he wished) playing in the background.

But how will the movie end though. I say it ends with a scene right after the funeral scene. A couple of his friends are sitting together recounting their memories with him.

And then Liszt tells a cute story about them both while the mass appears affected.

But regarding his deathbed scene, I will prefer to make him repent before he dies (you said that his relationship with God was hazy) .. this will be much better (at least for me). \:D

I can be a movie director, ha? ;\)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#980445 - 12/21/07 03:06 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
I just discovered that I posted No.3000 in this thread!!!

Woohoo, Congrats.

#980446 - 12/21/07 03:57 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Bassio: Congrats on posting # 3,000. I know we have hit some kind of record. Shouldn't we win some kind of award for this? \:D

Great to hear from you again. How are your studies going?

Most definitely the death scene will be included. If we "do" the film right, the men should be weeping also.

Yes, I did read that Chopin finally relented and received the last rites of the Church, for his mother and because he didn't want to "die like a dog."

However, Frycek mentioned that she thinks he really did (in his heart of hearts) repent and not for his mother but because he truly wanted to be forgiven for his "sins" (what sins?)

One of the cute stories that hopefully we can put in the film (either flashback as told by Liszt) or an actual scene (Gosh, I hope I got this right) was when Liszt was going to play for a gathering in a beautiful salon. Chopin was in the "audience." Before Liszt began, he asked that the room be darkened. Then he played, and, as usual got a standing ovation. However, when the candles were lit, it was Chopin at the piano and not Liszt. Liszt wanted to prove (in his very generous heart) that Chopin was just as good as he, if not better.

Oh, Chopin (whenever they were playing a duet) would always insist on playing the bass because he did not want to be drowned out by Liszt.

We have to find someone to play Liszt who can generate his wonderful and kind nature.

Of course, you can direct, Bassio! That is, once we get the story board created.

Regards,
Kathleen

#980447 - 12/21/07 04:02 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Whoa, mad posts!

Do I get a part in this film???

#980448 - 12/21/07 04:37 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Playadom: Of course you get a "part." What did you have in mind?

Right now we are just in the beginning stages of creating the story and deciding on which scenes to include.

Perhaps it might be easier to start with a very broad outline of his life and then hone it down into actual scenes.

So...since this seems like a giantic undertaking because of the wealth of material, let's start simple.

Like:

Part One: Early Years: (4 to 19)
Part Two: Middle Years (20 to 30)
Part Three: Final Years (31 to death)

If you have another idea on how to make the split, please comment. I am just trying to get something on paper from which we can start. And I definitely would love to hear from you.

With these headings, let get some ideas of what to put where...be very general or, if you like, more specific.

For example:

Part One:
- As a very young child (about 4?) at the piano, trying to imitate his sister.
- Sister giving lessons.
- He soon outdoes her and even his mother.
- Plays at a concert and tells mother that what everyone loved the most was his collar.
- Showing lessons by Elsner
- The death of his sister
- Falling for Constance and his pining away.
- The writing of both concerti

Part Two: (There isn't very much known about Chopin from about the age of 5 until the his early teens, so we might gloss over this second a little.

- Leaving for Vienna
- The Stuttgart Diaster
- His playing of the Revolutionary Etude
- Leaving for Paris
- Meeting Maria and the engagement
- The breakup of his engagement to Maria
- Meetin Liszt, Schumann, etc.
- Meeting Sand (do we have to??)
- He finally "gives in" to Sand
= The Diaster of Majorca
- Solange and Maurice

Part Three:
- A "medly" of his giving lessons and also summers at Nohant.
- Some incident showing the factions involved in the breakup.

This is very rough and not very good and certainly not finished by any means, but I hope to have it filled in soon, with your suggestions. We can't do this in a day; that's obvious. Even if it takes many weeks, so what. There is a lot of information to consider and naturally the music MUST take THE major role.

Thanks,
Kathleen

#980449 - 12/21/07 10:17 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Chardonnay Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA.
His time in the UK (Scotland and England) with Jane Sterling in the (?) winter of 1848 should be included in the later sections;

#980450 - 12/22/07 09:20 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Yes, good idea, Chardonnay. This time wasn't the best for him. I remember reading one of his quotes that went something like: "They (referring to Jane and her sister) are smothering me, but because they are so kind, I let them."

They were actually quite wonderful to him, but I don't think they realized just how sick he was...physically and emotionally. He wanted to be left alone but probably realized that he needed to "get out," and not sit around an dwell on his misery.

Kathleen

#980451 - 12/22/07 10:46 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This movie needs more Alkan! And Liszt!

I could be both of them, with my virtuoso skills \:D

I can't even learn 25.11 though, so I can't talk...

#980452 - 12/22/07 01:58 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
C H O P I N Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
C H O P I N:
I still can't figure out how you managed to get your name approved. I would think it would have been taken already...but probably because of the caps with the spaces between..

We'd be happy to start a thread devoted to you, specifically. All you have to do is compose the way he did and play the way he did and be the person he was. We're not asking for much...right?

Now, since you chose the name you did, we expect that you know quite a bit about Chopin. How about posting something every so often. We can always use fresh ideas and comments.

Regards,
Kathleen [/b]
Yep It's because of the caps and the spaces inbetween! you all know who I am because of it, its not "he's a nice member" it's hey "I know who he is because he wangled a dodgy user name!" \:D

As for composing like Chopin... not *yet*..... I have ideas for the piano, and I started working on composing a short romantic piece for the piano, called "Traumen Romanza" but it's so difficult finding time to get on with it, because of school and stuff. I started with all of these wonderful ideas, but now i'm left with no where to develop them. If my piece developed as well as it started, then i'd be REALLY happy, It still wouldn't be a scratch on the works Chopin (of course), but it'd be a nice starting point

As for playing the piano as well as Chopin... erm no time soon, i'm sorry to say. I'm not bad, considering I started a few years back, but i'm nothing special.

Damn, I'm not the ghost of Chopin either, therefore not one of your three requirements has been met!

IM A PHONY \:\(

C H O P I N

PS - as for knowing lots about Chopin, i'm sorry to say I don't, unfortunately I only chose the name because he's my favourite composer. Though I like this thread, because I learn lots of new things about him to make up for that fact.

This leaves me practically useless to this thread!

#980453 - 12/22/07 03:35 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Dear C H O P I N:

NO WAY are you useless to this thread. I am so happy that you have learned something about him through these postings. And even though we are past the 3,000 point, we've "only just begun."

Remember that Chopin did, at times, find composing extremely difficult...because he was such a perfectionist. And he often "composed" some of his best work while improvising. So, perhaps if you just relax a bit, the music may come more easily. I do love the title of your piece; you must truly be a romantic at heart. Good luck with it. And once it's finished, could you play/record it for us to hear? That would be wonderful.

As far as his skills as a pianist, he was born with them. His father once wrote that he only had to practice an hour where others had to slave away for weeks.

And, of course, no one expects or even wants you to be his reincarination. As he was special, so are you!

One of these days we will get started with our "film" and would welcome any suggestions you might have.

My best,
Kathleen

#980454 - 12/22/07 03:54 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
C H O P I N Offline

Why thankyou Katheleen, My piano teacher, loved the title of my piece too! I have two seperate piano teachers, one teaches me to compose, the other teaches me piano... So me and my composition teacher have worked on this piece for a short while, he has given me some good advice.

I remember sitting at the piano, with score paper in hand, and just playing it... I didn't know how it happened, it's a ridiculously simple theme, but it works, so the complexity doesn't matter. I try to compose in my own style, I don't imitate others much, though next year I will be learning to harmonize in the style of J .S Bach, which should be interesting! and could (even in a romantic score) prove invaluble.

I wrote the theme when I had feelings running through me, and it's been the only time so far that i've been able to express them with success on paper and with music! so i'm not in a hurry to finish yet - I just need inspiration again \:\) (which is hard because this is a stressful part of any teenagers life... EXAMS! eeeeek)

I'm a perfectionist, in art and music... I have a tendancy to over anylyse and ruin something because it sounds good but doesn't seem to "sit right" on the score, which doesn't allways work in my favour. I invented a figuation (not sure if that's quite the write word) that I wished to put somewhere in this piece, but it's so difficult trying to write it down, nevermind "slot" it in the score! Composing music is very difficult indeed, and Chopin was just a natural gift \:\)

I'd love to record my piece when i'm done (some how) or atleast send the score, so some people here could try it out, it's almost certainley a begginers piece, which is perfect for the ABF.

C H O P I N

PS http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/chopin.html speaking of ghosts! ha ha amusing

#980455 - 12/22/07 04:50 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
And even though we are past the 3,000 point, we've "only just begun." [/b]

Does PW have a limit on how big a topic can get?

#980456 - 12/22/07 05:20 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Playadom: I don't think so. When we were approaching 2,000, I think someone asked Frank this, and he said there wasn't a problem. So...the sky's the only limit as far as I can tell.

C H O P I N: Thank you for that unbelievably ridiculous site (not your fault...interesting, but utterly stupid.)

Chopin did not speak English, for all intents and purposes. While he was in England, he wrote how difficult it was to communicate with the people there. "I speak no English; they speak no French." Did he learn it in heaven??

And, as we know our hero, he would be the very LAST person to pay such a "visit," if it were indeed possible. He was a very private person in life. I don't see his coming back to this strange (and I mean strange) woman after his death. He hardly ever spoke of his music. Why would he be speaking of it after death?

I don't even know why I am trying to rationalize this because it is too crazy.

Utter rubbish; I'm sure you agree.

Wow; it sounds like you are a very serious music student. Good luck with your studies. I have a feeling you will do very, very well.

Kathleen

#980457 - 12/22/07 05:38 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Perhaps he learned English after death:
He DID have more than 150 years after all... \:D

Utter rubbish! But still quite amusing.

#980458 - 12/22/07 08:43 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Chardonnay Offline
500 Post Club Member

originally posted by Playadom:
 Quote:
This movie needs more Alkan! And Liszt!

I could be both of them, with my virtuoso skills
Now THERE'S and interesting thought: instead of professional actors for our film, get all of us together and decide who could play what role! \:D

I could play one of his inept pupils, who frustrates him to no end, then runs out of the studio in tears! \:D \:D
For that role, I wouldn't need much rehearsal!!

#980459 - 12/22/07 09:14 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Yes, we could all put in cameos as inept students. I remember someone's tale of his becoming so frustrated with one of his pupils he broke a chair. I'll play that one.

#980460 - 12/22/07 09:24 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by -Frycek:
Yes, we could all put in cameos as inept students. I remember someone's tale of his becoming so frustrated with one of his pupils he broke a chair. I'll play that one. [/b]
Hmm, I can't really imagine him as much of an angry person.

Reminds me of the story of Jesus and the money-changers.

#980461 - 12/23/07 07:24 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
C H O P I N Offline

It's most certainley utter rubbish Kathleen \:\) still it is amusing in some wierd way.... \:D

#980462 - 12/23/07 07:31 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Merry Christmas from Frycek & MaryRose

#980463 - 12/23/07 07:55 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Dear MaryRose and Frycek:

What a magnificent card! I know MaryRose had a huge hand in the creation (just gorgeous), but thank you both for your thoughtful and so appropriate greeting.

We wish you both the most wonderful of holidays and hope the New Year brings you health and joy and everything you could wish for.

I feel that you both are more Polish than I. And I wish I had some Polish friends to whom I could send it.

Thanks again,
My best to you both, :3hearts:
Kathleen

#980464 - 12/23/07 08:10 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I took the picture. (That's a little feather tree on Sam beside the portrait.) MaryRose did the format and lettering.

#980465 - 12/23/07 09:07 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Chardonnay Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's lovely! What exactly do the words mean?

Merry Christmas, All!

#980466 - 12/23/07 09:17 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chardonnay:
It's lovely! What exactly do the words mean?

Merry Christmas, All! [/b]
They translate as "Merry Christmas." I'll have to see if MaryRose can translate literally.

#980467 - 12/23/07 01:02 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Well, I got my new scanner. And I think the following is a big improvement over what I had posted before.

These are the people who were deemed "important" in one way or another, in Chopin's life. The list comes from the book: "Chopin: His Life & Music" by Jeremy Nicholas. Remember to bake that cake for me.

Kathleen

#980468 - 12/23/07 01:44 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Chardonnay:
What exactly do the words mean?

[/b]
Happy Holidays (Wesolych Swiat) of God's birth (Bozego Narodzenia)

I hope everyone on the Devoted to Chopin thread has a very beautiful and musical Christmas, with plenty of Chopin's music.

#980469 - 12/23/07 04:57 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Alas! Alkan is first!

#980470 - 12/23/07 05:17 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Playdom: Wonderful! It appears that I know very little about your favorite. Do you have more information about him that you would like to share? The line that states he was the only one for whom Liszt was afraid to play sounds VERY interesting. What was it about the man that made this so?

To All: This is hiliarious.

I received an e-mail from Amazon telling me that the second volume of Sand's work "Indiana" was available and that I should hurry and buy it. Boy, did they ever ring the wrong doorbell.

Kathleen

#980471 - 12/23/07 06:12 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

To All: This is hiliarious.

I received an e-mail from Amazon telling me that the second volume of Sand's work "Indiana" was available and that I should hurry and buy it. Boy, did they ever ring the wrong doorbell.

Kathleen [/b]
:D \:D

Kathleen, you should listen to some Alkan.
Very interesting music.

I suggest you check out his Etudes, op. 39 and the Grand Sonata op. 33

To quote this quite good article(written before I was born ):

The first book begins with the aptly titled perpetual-motion study Comme le Vent. A glance at the first bar is sufficient to indicate the pianistic pain that lies ahead: the unusual 2/16 time signature (fast), the injunction Prestissamente (faster), the 160 metronome marking and the pair of thirty-second note triplets (fastest). When the performer realizes that the etude continues for twenty-one pages, the horrified reaction is usually disguised as feigned amusement or eye-rolling scorn.

Here's a video of said Etude:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iyQ1QPLOol0
Another early Etude(you can see that it's a bit much for the performer, still loads better than me)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EbrRUdSW2Sk

The first 2 movements of the sonata(the best) are spread out over this and the next video in the series:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9hLPIplGgdU&feature=related
(You can see the technical difficulties best at the beginning of part 7 -- HAMELIN makes mistakes here)

This is the Concerto for Solo piano(1st mvt):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OuxcI7nyKl0
First of 3 parts, other 3 aren't hard to find.

I just realized, this is like 50 min of music! But you should check it out at some point.

Of course, there are loads of undiscovered things, but this is the 'famous' stuff -- if you can call it that for such a relatively unknown composer.

#980472 - 12/23/07 06:24 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by playadom:
Alas! Alkan is first! [/b]
Chopin left his unfinished manuscript of "A Method for the Piano" to Alkan. Chopin also attended an operatic performance with Alkan during the last months of his life when he was very weak and it was very difficult for him to get around. That implies a certain amount of intimacy and trust.

BTW -Filtsch didn't die of TB, he died of peritonitis following a burst appendix. The TB myth has been repeated ad infinitum from one erroneous source.

#980473 - 12/23/07 08:06 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
4000 Post Club Member

Wow...Playadom. I just finished reading the first few paragraphs of the essay, and I must say this man is extremely intriguing. That he went into seculsion for 25 years after Chopin's death is astounding. It sounds as if they were two peas in the same pod, both possessing some of the same characteristics. AND once again, we can present their friendship as an arugument to those comments that Chopin was anti-Jewish.

It's late now where I am, but I plan on finishing the article and most definitely watching the you-tube sites you have suggested. If he was so highly thought of by Chopin, I am very anxious to get to know more about him and his music.

Why haven't I heard more of this man? It's a shame.

Thank you both for your posts.

Kathleen

Page 101 of 277 < 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 276 277 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Grand Piano House name change
by newgeneration
04/26/15 08:59 PM
Exercises for syncopation
by DeadPoets
04/26/15 08:54 PM
Valentina Lisitsa--web site
by Bech
04/26/15 08:04 PM
Ebony Satin Hamburg, Two Fallboards
by WhoDwaldi
04/26/15 06:09 PM
Fazioli Piano I wish to buy
by Eran
04/26/15 05:31 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,055 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,567 Topics
2,400,043 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission