2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Just had my FP-4 delivered. Before asking for advice on headphones, I would like to thank all the people that helped me, sharing their opinions. Your suggestions are priceless.

I do have one pair of headphones in hand: Sennheiser HD228. It is for my IPOD Classic. And it works great!! Here is the specifications of the headphone.
Frequency response (headphones) : 18 - 22000 Hz; Cable length : 1.4 m; Impedance : 24 Ω; Sound pressure level (SPL) : 110 dB (1kHz/1Vrms); THD, total harmonic distortion : <0.5% (1kHz/100dB); Ear coupling : Supraaural; Transducer principle : Dynamic, closed; Jack plug : 3.5 mmstraight plug
But it actually does not work quite well with my piano. The thing is, the sound that comes in to my ear is quite thin, even at the Max volume. I am not sure this is the right word for it. It is much better when I plug it into my IPOD.

When the piano sound comes from the internal speakers, it sound awesome, and loud, even at half of the max wolume. BTW, I have a small room.

Is it because of the impedence? I dont want a amplifier. So what kind of headphones should i have to get the most out of my piano? My budget would be around 150 bucks. Thanks

Last edited by FjJeffrey; 02/09/10 03:54 PM.

Adult beginner with a Roland FP-4
Alfred's All-in-One
Buying headphones is a very personal decision.

Try looking here for guidance:
http://www.headphonereviews.org/

I have an FP4 and listen through Sony MDR-CD900ST cans I bought in Japan. Highly recommended if you can find a pair.

Good luck in your travels,

Craig

NY Steinway A 2005; Roland FP-7F/ FP-4
W
W
Agree with Ctnski, headphones are personal, my hearing is shot
from years of scuba diving.

With my FP4 I use: Grado SR60i, Sony MDR-NC50, a cheap set of JVC HA-RX500.

I really like the Grados, they are an open design, fitting on the ear.

The Sony's cover the ear, are noise canceling.

The JVC cover the ear and are surprisingly ok.

If someone is listening along (the FP4 has two headphone jacks) I use the
Grado's and the JVC.

For $150 you will discover lots of fine phones, I checkout reviews at
Amazon.

Good luck!

kb

Last edited by Wingnut; 02/10/10 07:54 PM.

Adult beginner, Roland FP4
Alfred Adult All-In-One I & II
W
W
Hi Fj i would recommend the Sony mdr 7509 I have these and i must say the quality of the sound in these is superb, Just over £150 but worth it. or there little brother 7506's i've heard get good reviews.

I use my headphones for my music productions and the detail in them at even low levels are just amazing.

I need to add that what 'phones you choose, they need to be comfortable on your head, especially since you will be wearing them while moving around the keyboard. Some 'phones sound terrific but are not the best for active performance. The Sony's I recommended, and the quite similar ones offered by Waza, fit nicely on one's noggin and allow freedom of movement without sliding around during performance. I know this because I had cans with better sound but which felt like they might slide around my head if I got too active. I sold that pair and stayed with the good-sounding, great-fitting Sony's. As I said, 'phones can be highly personal and it really behooves one to try before buying, or at least buy through a dealer that offers a liberal exchange policy. That said, I have to applaud your purchase of the FP-4. No, it's not a real piano, but it is so good that, playing it, I don't feel compromised in my playing. Good luck and happy playing.

NY Steinway A 2005; Roland FP-7F/ FP-4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission