Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1374126 - 02/14/10 11:16 PM Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital 17!!!

Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 17 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is fine. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital 17 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1374172 - 02/15/10 12:01 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
First, thanks to the whole list of people Monica has mentioned who made this recital possible. What a bunch of great folks.

Second, congratulations to all the participants! Troopers all, and the folks who make the ABF a great place.

Third, I may not be able to comment on everyone's piece this time around, but I'll try to listen to every one of them at some point.

So here's some first thoughts:

1. LisztAddict - Nocturne Op 9 No 1 (Chopin)
That was beautiful. How nice to hear from someone who has been in every recital.

2. AnthonyB - Nefeli (Ludovico Einaudi)
Anthony, that was stunning! What a great job with dynamics, and the piece moved so well! Wow! Terrific!

5. BenPiano - Adagio in B minor KV 540 (Mozart)
Wonderful! I can see why you were so attracted to this piece, and you played it well.

6. dannylux / Mel - Intermezzo Op.29 No.4 (Eugen d'Albert)
Mel, that was delightful, and delightfully played. Such charm, and danceability in places smile

7. ten left thumbs - Slow Blues in G (Tim Richards)
You have such a good feel for these kinds of tunes - Sometimes I swear you can actually bend the notes smile And the trills are so - well, blue smile Thanks for this piece.

This is a wonderful start to this recital. I'm off to hear more -

Cathy

#1374208 - 02/15/10 12:21 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Some more:

8. Peyton - Thoughts of Anne (Peyton)
Another piece that moves so well. I was carried away with it. I particularly like the fast high runs that tinkle thru against that left hand starting about 2 minutes in.

9. Manndrew - Danny Boy (Frederick Weatherly)
I loved it. I've only recently begun to be able to hear some of the things that are going on harmonically (thanks to Swingin' Barb and jazzwee's thread) and I thought his was great.

10. joangolfing - Prelude No. 4 in F Major (Robert D. Vandall)
I was introduced to Vandall's music in here in the ABF. Your rendition of this prelude was lovely - very nice interpretation.

11. John Frank - Ashokan Farewell (Jay Ungar)
I was really looking forward to this, and I wasn't disappointed. Hauntingly beautiful describes it well. I liked your opening with the string voice. Nicely done.

It's a good thing I'm a night person, because I think I'll be up awhile listening smile

Cathy

#1374262 - 02/15/10 12:42 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Continuing on this journey:

12. TrueBeginner - Until Dawn (Original)
What a good idea to start with a chord progression and then add a melody. And it worked really well. A very nice composition, and well-played.

13. Riddler (Ed) - On Green Dolphin Street (Bronislau Kaper and Ned Washington)
The band was a laugh! Very creative! I didn't know my computer speakers would do stereo, but the opening percussion sounded like it was in diferent halves of the speaker. Your piano playing was great, too - what a great feel you have for this kind of music. Go pro, young man!

14. Strings & Wood/CarlMc - Prelude in E minor OP. 28 No. 4 (Chopin)
You did a really nice job on this. I like the rubato, it was really a nice interpretation. I hear what you mean about that last chord - sort of a bittersweet moment or something.

15. ladypayne - Canon in D (Johann Pachelbel)
It's always fun to hear this piece. I think every variation I've ever needed in the left hand is in this piece - a workout for sure!

Back for more.

Cathy

#1374265 - 02/15/10 12:48 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
We can never thank the organizers of these events enough. They allow us to express ourselves musically amongst others of same passion, and do it out of passion. May their commitment continue, for our sake. Thanks Monica, Mahlzeit, LaValse.
Here goes the first flurry of comments:

01. LisztAddict - Nocturne Op 9 No 1

My god, what an opening !!! Absolutely sumptuous; what musicality, what touch, what a grand interpretation !!! A vertiginous performance by any standard. Thank You so much.

02. AnthonyB - Nefeli

Exquisite interpretation; beautiful nuances and phrasing. Thanks for sharing.

03. Ken. - Minuet fait par Monsieur Bohm

Great Job, Ken; well kept tempo on this difficult style of music. Thanks.

04. z32/Ben - Dream

Dreamy ;-) Light and limpid, almost crystalline; well done indeed. Thank You.

05. BenPiano - Adagio in B minor KV 540

I find all music from the baroque and classical periods so hard to play (No rubato); You, on the other hand seem to have no problem whatsoever maintaining the required tempo and nuances throughout. Very impressive. (Love those bass notes) Thank You for sharing.

06. dannylux / Mel - Intermezzo Op.29 No.4

Always a pleasure to hear Your music; this bouncy little intermission is no exception; quite lively with a touch of mischief; very well played indeed. Thanks.

07. ten left thumbs - Slow Blues in G

Congratulations for this enjoyable blues improv. You got the mood just right. Keep it up. Thanks.

08. Peyton - Thoughts of Anne

Don't You just love the Pramberger :-) A very moody reflective piece indeed. Beautifully done; thank You for sharing.

09. Manndrew - Danny Boy

You are right, this is a great arrangement of the song and You play it beautifully; thank You.

10. joangolfing - Prelude No. 4 in F Major

Way too short; just when I got taken by the beautiful mood You create, bang ! it's over. Very well done and thank You.

11. John Frank - Ashokan Farewell

That is quite a lovely song and You do it justice entirely; Thank You for sharing.

12. TrueBeginner - Until Dawn

TrueBeginner no more; exquisite interpretation that shows sensibility and great touch. Loved it; thanks.

13. Riddler (Ed) - On Green Dolphin Street

Now I was sure this recital was for solo performances and here, we get the whole band ! Great job Riddler. Quite entertaining. Thanks.

14. Strings & Wood/CarlMc - Prelude in E minor OP. 28 No. 4

Congratulations CarlMC, this is deceptively difficult and You breezed through it; well done indeed.

15. ladypayne - Canon in D

Another difficult piece in my book; You did admirably well; liked it much; thanks.

16. Schubertian - Variations Hob. III/77

Masterful sight reading; thanks for sharing.

17. Mr Super Hunky - Waterfalls

Once again a quite evocative piece by the already famous Mr SH. Just the right amount of this and that to make it enjoyable. Bravo and thank You.

18. tdvance (Todd Vance) - Sonatina, Op. 13, No. 1, 1st mvt.

I think of Kabalevsky as a composer with a sense of humor; it comes through in your interpretation; lovely; thanks.

19. timmyab - Impromptu op 142 no 2

Nice touch and musicality; liked it much; thanks.

20. mattodono - Musette in D Major BWV Anh. 126

Bouncy and joyous piece; great work thanks.

21. mcasl - Erster Verlust, from the 'Album for the young' by Schumann, Op. 68, 16

Herr Schumann would be happy; his music resonates nicely in your hands; well done; thanks.

22. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight

Quite jazzwee piece played like a true jazzman; very good and enjoyable; thanks.

23. LaValse - Etude Op 2

Don't remember the before but the after is great; very musical, good phrasing; very enjoyable; thanks for sharing.

24. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - When I Fall In Love

Nice touch on this one Dennis; melodious and moody, just the way I like them; thanks You for the dream.

25. ddh - Daniel - La fuente y la campana (The Fountain and the Bell)

I feel like a bum amongst such talent; will do a second set of comments tomorrow.
Congratulations to all.

#1374267 - 02/15/10 12:53 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations, everybody, on a wonderful recital! heart

Even though I cheated and listened early, I was only able to get comments written for the first 14 folks. More to come later:

01 – LisztAddict: Another stunning performance from you, LisztAddict, and a beautiful way to start the recital. I especially liked the quiet, lilting part about 2/3 of the way through, and I think my jaw is *still* dropping over those terrific long runs you just rattled off.

02 – AnthonyB:Well, it will come as no surprise to anybody here that yours was one of my favorites of the recital. Nefeli is on my all-time top 10 Einaudi pieces, and you did a great job on it. Hats off to you for figuring out the LaScala variation, too!

03 – Ken:Wish I knew more about Bach to comment intelligently, but I thought you did a very nice job on a piece with a whole lot of notes in it!

04 – z32: This is as pretty as Yiruma’s “River Flows in You” but sounds a heck of a lot harder to play. Your playing, as usual, is beautiful.

05 – BenPiano: Wow... that *is* a long and complex piece! If you can play this that well at only 8 months of piano, I can’t wait to hear you play it again at 2 years. thumb

06 – Dannylux: This is a lovely little gem indeed, brightly played. I always learn a lot listening to your submissions, both in terms of being exposed to new composers and the thoughtful structural analysis you include in your comments.

07 – tenleftthumbs: Whenever I hear music like this, I wish I could be sitting in some dark smoky bar with exchanging smoldering glances with some handsome man. Impressive combination of sight-reading, improvising, and composing! thumb

08 – Peyton: What a sad, beautiful piece, Peyton. I love the melody, and you complement it well with the left hand. Those deep bass runs gave me shivers.

09 – Manndrew: My hat’s off to you for tackling a Jarrett arrangement! wow Even the “relatively accessible” Jarrett pieces are still pretty darned scary. You played this beautifully.

10 – Joangolfing: Wow.... what a lovely, plaintive melody. A long time ago I bought a Vandall sheet music collection; listening to you makes me determined to dig it out and see if this piece is on it. I definitely want to learn it!

11 – John Frank : “Hauntingly beautiful” is right. Your “violin” intro was a perfect way to start the piece.

12 – TrueBeginner: One of these days I will collect all your pieces into a playlist. I enjoy them all greatly, and this one is no exception. It reminded me in a (good) way of the theme to “Love Story.”

13 – Riddler: I love a good jazz piece, and that was sheer listening pleasure.

14 – String & Woods: I’ve loved this piece ever since I watched the Benjamin Zander talk on TED about classical music, which used it as a centerpiece. Well done!

#1374274 - 02/15/10 12:59 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
I've listened to the first 11 songs so far and you all sound so wonderful and are very talented! Unfortunately it's time for bed. I'll listen to some more tomorrow smile

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1374279 - 02/15/10 01:06 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ladypayne]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

This next batch is great!

17. Mr Super Hunky - Waterfalls (Mr Super Hunky)
I can relate to thinking maybe someday I'll be able to play what's in my head. But you did a wonderful job on this (these?) melody. There was for sure a waterfall in there. And you play with such assurance. You'd be good on stage.

21. mcasl - Erster Verlust, from the 'Album for the young' by Schumann, Op. 68, 16 (Schumann)
What a delicate and wonderful little pieces. Very nice.

22. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight (Victor Young)
Whoo, jazzwee! Thumbs up, thumbs up! What a sophisticated sound you're playing. I loved this.

23. LaValse - Etude Op 2 (Scriabin)
I think it's a great idea to submit a piece you've done before. I've thought about doing so with my first recital piece. That said, this was really nicely done. Very thoughtful feel to it.

24. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - When I Fall In Love (Edward Heyman / Victor Young (1952))
Boy, did you ever nail the feeling for this piece smile It's one of my favorites anyway, and you've got the wistfulness down pat. Lovely, wonderful, well done.

Cathy

#1374302 - 02/15/10 01:38 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

I think this'll be my last batch for the evening, but I've loved everything I've heard so far -

30. Monster M&H /Les - Misty ()
I love your stuff - I seem to remember Satin Doll maybe? At any rate, along with ed and Bill and Dennis and Buck (where's Buck?) we have some great stylists around here. I love that laid-back beat - great swing. And what a treat to play it on your rebuilt piano - it sounds great. I'm glad your back.

34. b528nf7 (Bill) - Someone To Watch Over Me (George Gershwin/Ira Gershwin)
You're one of my favorite stylists around here, and this was great. The piano part was really well-done, but mostly I just like the whole output you do.

36. mahlzeit - Recital 17 (Me)
I liked it. Nice harmonies/dissonances, and nice twiddly bits. It needs a better title, tho laugh Hm. Maybe - Evening in a European City - that's a possibility.

44. bluekeys - I Will (Lennon/McCartney)
I like this every bit as much as I've liked your Bach inventions. You have a very nice feel for it, and it is really nicely played. I'm not sure how you had to stamina for 80 tries, tho laugh I liked it very much.

69. WJ3 - Irish medley, Wild Irish Rose, When Irish Eyes are Smiling and Londonderry Air
A great St. Pat's set! There's not a dry eye in the bar laugh And not just because the singing is awful laugh Nice choice of songs, and nicely done.

More tomorrow -

Cathy

#1374304 - 02/15/10 01:40 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Since I'm on break right now, I'm going to try and comment on all the recital pieces. Thanks for performing, everyone!

Beautiful phrasing and rubato. You really captured the essence of this nocturne.
02. AnthonyB - Nefeli
Congratulations on finishing this piece! You play very well for two years at the piano. I like the way you bring out the melody.
A very clean and confident performance - good to here some Bach on here. Try to add some more variation in dynamics and articulation to make it more interesting.
04. z32/Ben - Dream
This sounds like perfect movie music to me - maybe I've even heard this in a film already.
This is wonderful for only 8 months! I was offered this piece and decided not to learn it, and I've been playing for over 10 years. It's challenging to pull off well but you've made a great start. Continue to work on your touch and phrasing. Also, don't be afraid to vary the tempo slightly where appropriate and allow the music to breathe.
I’ve never heard of this piece (or this composer) before. It’s very different from Liszt, isn’t it? You did a good job with the articulation in particular.
07. ten left thumbs - Slow Blues in G (to do)
Thanks for sharing your improvisations! Keep it up.
I really like the melody and variations that you have going. You’re really creative at the piano. I’m curious about who Anne is now. Also, I thought that it wasn’t possible to play one’s own music badly. wink
09. Manndrew - Danny Boy
You know, my dad whistles this all the time but I had no idea what it was. Thanks for actually giving a name to a familiar tune!
Your playing is really sensitive and musical. It can be challenging with such a repetitive piece.
I remember this from the Civil War documentary! It is a very touching melody indeed - I want to learn this on the violin now. Thanks for reminding me of it. I really liked how you varied the tempo.
Another original composition! I think this would make pretty good film music. Keep it up!
This is really catchy. I had fun listening to it. smile
14. Strings & Wood/CarlMc - Prelude in E minor OP. 28 No. 4
I played this 10 years ago but still remember it vividly. The rubato you have in your left hand is exactly how I remember playing it. But at my age then, I wonder whether I was emotionally ready to handle a piece like this? I certainly didn’t have the thoughts you put into it: “The ending for me, is one of heartbeat. It slows, a brief pause, a couple of weary beats more and then ends. It is difficult to remove your hand from that last E octave.” Great metaphor!
Canon in D – on the piano! I always hear this as string quartet form in my head so it’s a big turnaround for me when it’s on piano. You did a lovely job.

#1374322 - 02/15/10 02:18 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Frozenicicles]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here are some more before I go to bed:
This is really good if you’re sight reading. Do you do chamber or accompanying? I haven’t heard these variations before, although I’ve heard the melody in the hymn. It’s probably not played very much nowadays because of the associations people have about it.
I can really visualize waterfalls when I hear this piece. Great playing!
Kabalevsky – not a composer I’d usually expect to see on this list. It makes for a great contrast to all the other stuff I’ve been hearing though. Keep on working at it!
You brought out the melody really well the arpeggiated sections. Some of the chords could use a tiny bit more voicing though. I really enjoyed listening to it. I wish I knew what first attracted me to the piano, but it definitely wasn’t something as sophisticated as a Schubert Impromptu. smile

#1374518 - 02/15/10 09:40 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA

Truly a great selection to celebrate Chopin's 200 birthday, it is certainly one of my favorites. Beautifully played LiszAddict, I always stop and listen whenever I can find something you have posted and you have set a very high bar with this performance.

#1374523 - 02/15/10 09:42 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

02. AnthonyB - Nefeli

Anthony very nice command of expression with this piece. I enjoyed listening and while I could not see, I could visualize your hands flying over the keyboard. I'll have to check out your video.

Good job with this Minuet.

04. z32/Ben - Dream

Not familiar with this one, but you made it was very pleasant to listen with excellent phrasing.

Ben thanks for submitting this piece. It is not one I am familar with, but indeed complex. It's great when we can find one that holds our attention and desire to solve the riddle. You are doing very well with this one.

#1374547 - 02/15/10 10:23 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Bunneh Offline

Loc: Berlin
My first set of listens:

Wonderfully played! Also a very nice-sounding piano and recording. Thank you.

That was a masterful rendition of one of my all-time favorites. I believe it'll stay on my "To-Do in the future" list for a while, but it's encouraging that an adult beginner can deliver such a breathtaking rendition! The only thing to comment on would be the transition from the trio back to the A part, which could be a bit more uptempo and forward-moving considering your overall speed.

24. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - When I Fall In Love Lovely and haunting. Makes we want to venture beyond classical music in my journey. But well, so much to do, so little time...

26. Serge88 - What A Wonderful World
What a melody! And such a refined performance, too. Thank you.

27. AnotherSchmoe - Eyes On Me
Lovely, those Japanese games and shows are yet another source of wonderful music I have yet to touch on...

28. Teodor Tenchev - The Little Shepherd's Song
Nice work! You entered your first recital half a year before I did, good job wink
Stay with it and it'll seem like no time at all until you'll be playing what you always wanted to play.

29. HomeInMyShoes (Aaron) - op. 15, nos. 1, 4 & 8

No.1)
Nice work! I really liked your fermata. Although, I find your 16th in the melody a tad too short, giving the piece a more hectic feel than necessary. Also a bit too much rubato for my taste.

No.4)
Sweet, especially the last note for some reason really did it for me!

No.8)
Very impressive. I like how the melody stands out despite the clearly audible background, giving this a very balanced feel.

47. Inlanding/Glen - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
Nice one, I enjoyed listening! Definitely cleaner than anything I can do without pedal! You do seem to have a very slight case of speeding up and slowing down with the dynamics. Something I'm very guilty of as well with this piece, and I think it really benefits from a rock-steady rhythm.
The last chord could also be a bit prouder, this is not a piece that fades into the background. At least to my ears!

50. Euan Morrison - Opening (from Glassworks)
I am not sure whether to thank you for a fantastic performance, or be angry at you for giving me yet another composer and piece to aspire to on my already way too long list...

51. IPIBAHN Sandy - Consolation Op. 19 No. 4
nicely played! This piece really flowed for me. I'm currently learning 19/6, and if 19/4 is anything close in difficulty, that's no small feat!

53. jotur - Bethena
I can't say much about non-classical piano, but this very much put me in the mood of great times to be had in basement jazz clubs after the 2nd Martini Dry, which is a great thing by all accounts!

56. grotrianer - Ständchen
Very nice rendition! A clear separation between the singing voice and the accompaniment, while keeping the sweet harmonies ever present. Hats off!

68. Sam Smith - Bach Invention #1
A piece I'm currently learning as well. Great job, that's some serious ornamentation and a nice tempo already. Some ornaments seem to need some polishing, as they stand out rhythm and dynamics-wise from the non-ornamental notes, but other than that, very enjoyable!

Edited by Bunneh (02/15/10 10:24 AM)

#1374599 - 02/15/10 11:51 AM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Bunneh]
Chardonnay Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA.
Wonderful job as usual, LA! Amazing in the middle section- I still have a hard time getting to pp and ppp where required, and you accomplished it very nicely. And those fast runs- wow!
02. AnthonyB - Nefeli
This is gorgeous- have you really only been playing for 2 years?? I am not so familiar with the music of Einaudi, but this is really a great introduction. It sounds as though neither hand gets a rest throughout the entire piece!
Very nice! Definitely has the sound and feel of Bach.

More later...

#1374623 - 02/15/10 12:27 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Expressively played. A wonderful start to the recital.

I love the tone of your piano. It sounded like the left hand was having a conversation with the right hand. Very nicely done.

04. z32/Ben - Dream
You get such an exotic sound from your piano. This piece fits your confident, bold style well.

This sounds like a fun arrangement to play. Nice going – it was enjoyable.

A lovely melody beautifully performed. I liked the cool zoom effect on your video.

09. Manndrew - Danny Boy
Very cool interpretation and performance of this classic.

John Frank – your violin intro was brilliant! Wonderful phrasing and just the right amount of power. Well Done!
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1374644 - 02/15/10 12:45 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A melodic and very easy to listen to composition. Your skill as a pianist has kept pace with your writing skills. I like the octaves in the melody line.

This is a real treat to listen to with headphones. The separation and sound quality are excellent. As usual your performance is first rate – you really shine on these upbeat numbers.

#1374645 - 02/15/10 12:47 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

Starting from the back. A little over halfway through. Well done everyone. All of it has been enjoyable and great diversity.

69 - wj3
That was quite fun.

68 - Sam Smith
Very nice. I know the work it takes to iron out an invention. There's a reason I haven't attempted one of these for the recitals.

67 - EJR (Elwyn)
Maybe not quite the consistent tempo I strive for, but a very interesting and entertaining interpretation. Thank-you for sharing this.

66 - Augustina
Another piece that's been on my plate for quite some time. Welcome to the recitals, I hope to hear more in the future.

65 - Copper
Nce.

64 - BB Player
I might have to look at the few Tiersen songs that keep showing up. I always enjoy them. Thanks for sharing this.

63 - ShiroKuro
Yummy lunch. Oh, and nice playing.

62 - Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White
The sight reading sounded pretty good to me.

61 - Mar_red
Faker. smile Very enjoyable. Kasztany sounds so familiar to me, but I can't place where I've heard it before and I love Suicide is Painless. Will have to put this on the pile of things to do.

60 - Always Wanted to Play Piano
The third movement is probably the trickiest. At least for me it is. I only heard a couple of minor pauses in movement 2 and movement 3 was nicely tackled.

59 - Bunneh
18 months and tackling Chopin waltzes. Very impressive and there's nothing wrong with slower, especially when it's played very musically. I could never record something without lunch.

58 - TTigg / Steve C
Completely unfamiliar with this piece as I hadn't got sucked into the Lost series yet. Nicely played.

57 - Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik
Agreed on the difficulties, but it was quite nice Mateusz.

56 - grotrainer
Very nice. I found the melody easy to pick out. You've made a lot of great progress on this piece.

55 - epf
Still sounds good despite slips, hesitations and flat out mistakes. Music isn't always perfect, but it's always enjoyable.

54 - MaryBee
Haha, facile. There's lots of stuff to struggle with in this one (I've worked on this one in the past a bit). Quite nice MaryBee.

It's a fun piece and since Mozart is supposed to make babies smarter, I'm sure I'll be pulling it out again at some point.

53 - jotur
Breakfast is appropriate any time of the day. As long as there's bacon. smile

I'm unfamiliar with a lot of Joplin repetoire. Thanks for sharing this one.

52 - Monica K.
A little different from most of the Einaudi I've heard in the past. Nicely played as usual Monica. Your recordings are always a nice listen.

51 - IPIBAHN Sandy
Just need to bring up the tempo in the introduction and ending passages. The pace of the rest works well for the piece in my opinion. A little more dynamic range would be good, but there's a lot of wonderful work in there Sandy and I love this piece as well. Great work. You should check out the Mendelssohn appreciation thread. smile

50 - Euan Morrison
Nice. I think I might need to look for some Glass at some point.

49 - Tenolios
I'm always absolutely stunned by what people do in such a short period of time. Wonderful.

48 - Musictuary
That's quite the lunch and quite a nice rendition of Op. 55, no. 1.

47 - Inlanding/Glen
Very nicely done. Good dynamic range. In my opinion, this piece really shows its beauty at a quicker tempo, but it's beautiful at many tempos and has a great range across tempos.

46 - pianahman (Richard Griffin)
I was really excited to see this in the list of entries. It's on my short list of pieces to work on. Nicely played, there's a lot of tricky finger work in there (as with most Schumann).

45 - Quagles
Beautiful. Seven months? Some wonderful playing.

44 - bluekeys
Didn't suck that much. smile That's some serious dedication in the recording department and I think it's better than you think.

43 - Coldsalmon
Doesn't seem like a lot of experience for tackling this one. Nicely done. Would like to hear a more even crescendo in the middle section, but lots of nice stuff going on dynamically.

42 - eggsdeee
That was a nice listen. Thanks for sharing a composer that I'm pretty unfamiliar with.

41 - DragonPianoPlayer
Tempo could be a little steadier, but quite nicely handled and the ending was very nicely done.

40 - Eighty8
Thanks for the extra information on this piece. Nicely done.

39 - Mark...
The broken chord near the end gives me fits trying to fit it under my hands. I've never been able to play this short and sweet piece in a manner I like. Thanks for your effort.

38 - Norah
Sounded wonderful.

37 - Alleykatt - Cathy
I knew nothing about this composer. Thanks for the introduction. Some really pretty playing in this.

36 - mahlzeit
I was having a hard time matching the piece to the title. wink Your compositions always amaze me.

35 - PaulMac
One year and he's already pushing out the Menuet in G. Very nice. I thought the pause on the first repeat was a bit long, but overall it was very nice.

34- b528nf7 (Bill)
Your videos are always worth watching, better than just the recordings. Your playing is getting better and better Bill.

33 - Ode2Joy1
Oooh, Mazurkas. For me, the rhythm could be a little stronger accented and have a little less pedal, but it's a personal thing and my Mazurka playing is way too muddy. It was very enjoyable to listen to. You handled the ornaments well.

32 - NancyM333
Good grief. I'd be lucky to call this only 20% above my level, more like 80% for me. My hat is off to you for attempting this and kudos to a pretty good effort.

31 - CMohr
Bach gives me nightmares. Well done CMohr.

30 - Monster M&H / Les
The piano is sounding very nice. Can't wait to hear more from it as you continue work on it. Nicely played as well.

29 - HomeInMyShoes
What were you thinking recording no. 8? cursing mad

#1374666 - 02/15/10 01:05 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The video lead and FBI warning on the video were hilarious. Nice job on the Canon as well.

Wow! I love the power of your performance. You played this with skill and confidence. Nice!!

This is an excellent effort. You have really made up for lost time.

21. mcasl - Erster Verlust, from the 'Album for the young' by Schumann, Op. 68, 16
Very creative video treatment. You have a delicate touch which is just right for this piece.

Quite Jazzee!! I like your improv very much.

#1374673 - 02/15/10 01:17 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

23. LaValse - Etude Op 2
Outstanding effort! I really enjoyed your video and the emotional interpretation of this piece.

I am a big fan of classic songs with strong melodies and this one fits the bill. Your performance creates a nostalgic mood. Excellent.

#1374734 - 02/15/10 02:01 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
Wow! what great recital pieces! I also want to start by thanking Monica for administering all this. And thanks to Mahlzeit and LaValse and Copper for all their work! Here we go!

01. LisztAddict - Nocturne Op 9 No 1Achingly beautiful playing! Flawless-a wonderful start to the recital. I'm in awe! (and one of my favorite nocturnes, also).

02. AnthonyB - Nefeli Another lovely performance of a beautiful piece from you, Anthony

03. Ken. - Minuet fait par Monsieur Bohm Great job on the Bach! You gave the piece a really nice feel.

04. z32/Ben - DreamWell-played! Your sound certaqinly matches the title - very "dreamy". I listened twice, didn't want it to end.

05. BenPiano - Adagio in B minor KV 540 I loved this Mozart piece! Only 8 months?! Excellent - I can tell you enjoy playing this. I'll have to give it a go.(Good playing always does that to me.)

06. dannylux / Mel - Intermezzo Op.29 No.4 Very enjoyable - nice smooth playing and a very nice touch.

07. ten left thumbs - Slow Blues in G Great trills!! You definitely got the "blues"!

08. Peyton - Thoughts of Anne Absolutely beautiful composition and playing. I enjoyed this immensely!

09. Manndrew - Danny Boy Definitely a lot of great chords. Nicely played and a very enjoyable listen-plus a few goosebumps with some of those chords! You made this sound easy.

10. joangolfing - Prelude No. 4 in F Major I love this prelude. I too, bought the preludes after a previous recital. Lovely playing!

11. John Frank - Ashokan Farewell Another wonderful entry from you! I lovedthe "violin" at the start - perfect intro. It's a very captivating melody and you certainly did it justice. As always, I'm in awe that you played from memory.

12. TrueBeginner - Until Dawn "Truly" an admirable composition. Very enjoyable!

#1374736 - 02/15/10 02:05 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CMohr]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Very lively and nicely played! Try exaggerating the dynamics even more. Also, at some of the passages the hands weren’t cleanly together.
You have a nice legato touch in this piece and it’s nice and flowing. One thing that I noticed from your video though – you seem to be sitting too close to the piano and your bench might be too high.
This is very catchy and I had a lot of fun listening to it. Thanks for sharing!
23. LaValse - Etude Op 2
This is lovely. I like how you make the phrases “bloom” out. You brought out the melody very well, but at times you could contrast that by bringing out the bass more. A very sensitive performance.
This is really pretty. I can imagine hearing this at a wedding. Thanks for the great performance.
I’ve never heard of Mompou before. Thanks for introducing me to his works! It’s very dreamy but less dissonant than I’d expect from an impressionist.
Great performance – I really like the additions that you made. My one suggestion would be to make your playing less metronomic and more singing and free. Try actually singing the melody and then play using the same phrasing.
I played FFVIII years ago (although I never finished the game). Always loved the music in it though. You did a great job.
This is really great for only 3 months at the piano. It is harder to concentrate on both the notes and dynamics, but kudos for not ignoring them. It gets easier when the notes are well under your fingers.
Wonderful playing of these selections from Kinderszenen. You have a really natural and singing tone.
30. Monster M&H /Les - Misty
Congratulations on rebuilding the Steinway. I enjoyed your playing as well. Good luck on tweaking your piano to perfection!
31. CMohr - Gavotte I & Gavotte II ou la Musette from English Suite #3 in Gminor
Bach is really transparent, isn’t it? I think that Bach and Mozart are the two hardest composers to perform. Keep on working on the ornaments and keeping the hands coordinated and together. Also, make sure to keep the rhythm steady.
32. NancyM333 - Revolutionary Etude (Opus 10, No. 12)
Wow, Revolutionary Etude! I was really excited to see this on the list. Congratulations for being brave enough to tackle it. Don’t resign this to being the best that you can do – come back to it after polishing more pieces and working on your technique and it should be even better.

#1374760 - 02/15/10 02:37 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Frozenicicles]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

26. Serge88 - What A Wonderful World (Made popular by Louis Armstrong)
That was beautiful. It sang, actually. It's a great tune, and you did a great job.

39. Mark... - Prelude in A Major Op. 28, No. 7 (Frederic Chopin)
Mark, that arpeggio near the end was Beautiful! It was music, which is something I'm still working on. I know there are some people who would have known which Chopin piece this was just from the title, but I'm always pleasantly surprised when I recognize the music. I wasn't disappointed here - a lovely little piece.

52. Monica K. - Berlin Song (Ludovico Einaudi)
What a wonderful mood to that piece. It got my brain waves smoothed out - it'll be back to work after lunch. You always take such care with your pieces - both for the notes on the page and the expressiveness

More at the next work break - hopefully not as far away as next week laugh

Cathy

#1374778 - 02/15/10 03:11 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

Crisp and good dynamics, played and voiced well. I enjoyed it!

TLT the right hand tells the story but the left hand is the soul... I think you are on your way to the blues.

Peyton, you are so versatile. Lots of changing colors on this beautiful piece. I tried to visualize what you were doing in that bass run toward the end... impressive, I like it.

09. Manndrew - Danny Boy

I don't can't sing but this had me wanting to. Thanks for the smile. Little more work on the second half.

Nice, very enjoyable playing.

JF nice surprise with the strings. Almost makes me want to get a keyboard... I think I may be missing out on something. Your playing continues to move onward. This piece seemed to call for a bit softer touch at times. I very much enjoyed your selection.

#1374786 - 02/15/10 03:20 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

Very lonely melancholy feel to it. I am not sure we are going to see the sun frown

Riddler, now we're talking. Nice pick me up after TB. Great band! Move the tables and let's make some room on the dance floor. laugh

I startd this last year and somehow it got put to the side, I should pick it up again and finish it. Thanks for the submittal.

Not familiar with this one, but sounded pretty good to me for sight reading.

Appropriatley titled very fluid, lots of layers and harmonies going there. M&H sounds awesome.

#1374855 - 02/15/10 04:51 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Strings & Wood]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
13. Riddler (Ed) - On Green Dolphin StreetLove the stereo backing track - wow! This is just great! I liked everything about it and the big chords towards the end. Very cool!

14. Strings & Wood/CarlMc - Prelude in E minor OP. 28 No. 4 Very, very nice playing! I liked your rubato. So many times this is played way too fast. For me, you did it just right. You played the end perfectly to your description!

15. ladypayne - Canon in D Nicely done! Wish I had the time to take this one on - another all-time favorite of mine.

16. Schubertian - Variations Hob. III/77 Really nice playing! (especially for "not learning" it)! Delicately played - good job with the left hand melody (2nd var.).

17. Mr Super Hunky - Waterfalls If you hadn't titled this piece I would have imagined waterfalls and boulder filled creeks. Really nice composition, superbly played. Loved it! I bet a lot of people will want to play this..

18. tdvance (Todd Vance) - Sonatina, Op. 13, No. 1, 1st mvt. Very enjoyable. I'm not al all familiar with Kabalevsky, but liked this very much! Admirably played with nice changes in tone.

19. timmyab - Impromptu op 142 no 2 First of all, your Yamaha sounds great! (Nice recording). I'm not that familiar with the impromptus - thoroughly enjoyed your playing - good dynamics and control! Perfect balance to keep the melody above all those notes in the middle section.

20. mattodono - Musette in D Major BWV Anh. 126 I've always enjoyed playing this - you are much better than I! Very nice, clean playing. Fun!

21. mcasl - Erster Verlust, from the 'Album for the young' by Schumann, Op. 68, 16 Wow! Great job - sensitively played. Very enjoyable!

22. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight Holy moly, man! cool So pro! Excellent improv - loved it!

23. LaValse - Etude Op 2 My favorite Scriabin. Thank you. Done impeccably! Tremendously enjoyable.

24. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - When I Fall In Love Really nice version - loved the intro - played with a feeling perfect for this great ballad.

more later...

#1374868 - 02/15/10 05:03 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Frozenicicles]
mcasl Offline

Loc: Spain
It's true. I need to correct that habit.

- Danza Oriental, E. Granados
- Nocturne 4, J. Field
- Six variations on 'Mio caro adone', W.A. Mozart
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl

#1374901 - 02/15/10 05:59 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Daniel – your piano has a deep, luscious tone that compliments this dark piece beautifully. A very appealing and engaging piece skillfully played. It is interesting that you aspire to be “the Monica M. of Mompou”. I think your piano has a similar sound to Monica’s M&H.

A great tune very nicely played.

You are amazingly good for playing only 4 years without a teacher! You have such a connection to the music. Although I’m not a big fan of the dancing hands camera angle I liked your video very much (5 star rating).

#1374907 - 02/15/10 06:05 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

Not familiar with this one, seems to have more modern phrasing. Nicely played.

I like Schubert as well. Very nicely articulated, I enjoyed listening.

Good tempo and expression.

I am working on this one as well. Well done! The stacatto chords at the end are giving me fits. Perhaps a bit more expression there.

And yet still...very nice.

23. LaValse - Etude Op 2

I should pay more attention to Scriabin. To me, this had a sort of bluesy jazz sort of feel to it. I like it.

Dennis
I think this is your best since I have been listening. I can always count on you to stir up some good memories. Thanks!

#1374911 - 02/15/10 06:08 PM Re: Recital #17 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was picking up a little distortion on the audio but enjoyed your submission very much. It is hard to believe that you have only been playing 3 months – you are going to be very good!!

Nicely played. You have a restrained touch that brings out the subtle beauty of this piece. Very Well Done.

30. Monster M&H /Les - Misty
I love this song, in fact I did a version for the Piano Bar several months ago. I wish I’d heard your version first – very nice chord changes and a relaxed, swinging approach with a very cool moving bass line. Nice!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (accordeur, alans, 36251, 42 invisible), 1838 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155837 Topics
2288284 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How far to go?
by ChopinFan66
13 minutes 26 seconds ago
"Canned" Accompanyments like Music Minus One?
by Kojak
57 minutes 56 seconds ago
grand care
by johnfin
Today at 03:18 PM
Yamaha U5 or Charles Walter 1520 console
by Kai C
Today at 02:55 PM
Weinbach 170 or 192, anybody got any advice?
by Sam4
Today at 02:49 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission