2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 17th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you! smile

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital 17 Response Template

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Recital 17 Online Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 17 zip 1
Recital 17 zip 2
Recital 17 zip 3
Recital 17 zip 4
Recital 17 zip 5
Recital 17 zip 6
Recital 17 zip 7
Recital 17 zip 8

Let me express my greatest thanks to five very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; Bob Muir for working out the technical details of pulling together the recital and doing so tirelessly for the first six, count 'em, six, recitals; LaValse for hosting the zip files and recital software on his server; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:LisztAddict
Experience:8.5 years since returning to piano
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn-6cW0eGiM
Title of piece:Nocturne Op 9 No 1
Composer:Chopin
Duration:05:16
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Pramberger/Young Chang JP-208
Recording method:Zoom H4
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This 2010 is the year people around the world celebrate Chopin 200th birth year. I think this is very nice that Chopin is going first on this first 2010 ABF recital.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AnthonyB
Experience:Just over 2 years already!
Title of piece:Nefeli
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:06
Source of music:Ludovico Einaudi - The Best Of
Instrument used:Pianoteq 3.5 (MIDI generated by Roland FP7)
Recording method:MIDI rendered to wav with Pianoteq
Additional info:I started this piece soon after the last recital. Things were off to a pretty quick start but then stalled out between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Picked up again in January because I didn't have much of a choice! smile

This is easily the "busiest" piece that I've attempted up to this point. I get a great deal of satisfaction watching my hands fly around the various parts on the video and that makes me feel great. The one thing I've noticed about this piece on places like youtube is that it seems that perfectly clean takes seem somehow rare and alas my take isn't perfect but it's fine.

I never really had a proper lunch today and instead opted for a few small snacks instead.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ken.
Experience:2 years
Title of piece:Minuet fait par Monsieur Bohm
Composer:Bach
Duration:01:23
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Milton spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:One of my goals for these online recitals was to submit all the tunes that I got up to speed for my previous live recitals. With this recital I will have done that, so from next recital I hope to be able to start submitting pieces I've been working on for this years mid-year recital.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:z32/Ben
Experience:3 years, on and off
Title of piece:Dream
Composer:Yiruma
Duration:03:43
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha YPG625
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:Just the latest Yiruma piece I've learned. Really love all his pieces!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BenPiano
Experience:8 months
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBZQzlhL8w
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
Title of piece:Adagio in B minor KV 540
Composer:Mozart
Duration:06:11
Source of music:sheet music from: ---> http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/main/?
Instrument used:Roland Fantom G8
Recording method:Digital
Additional info:I don’t think I would have ever discovered this piece on my own, but luckily was introduced to it by another. I had it playing on repeat in the background while doing some computer stuff, and subsequently fell in love with it and became determined to learn it.

My current ability is nowhere near that required to play this piece proficiently (as the listener will no doubt find out smile ), so my wish is certainly not to desecrate this amazing piece. But like the individual that introduced me to this piece, I too hope to introduce it to a few that might find it as incredible as I did. Though, I would highly recommend listening to a proper recording of this to get the “whole story”, if you know what I mean.

To me, this piece is absolutely brilliant. It tells such a fascinating story with only the piano. I’m sure every listener’s story will be much different than mine, but the story in my head while I listen follows this plot :

This piece begins very sad and filled with tension. The tension relaxes, and by 2:15 the mood changes to a more positive feeling, but this is short lived as the theme repeats in different keys giving me the impression that everything has descended into utter chaos.

At 3:39 the mood is lifted again, but it only feels better when compared to the hopelessness of the preceding section. It’s the beginning section repeated, so the sadness and tension are still present - and very familiar.

Later, I hear determination to solve the very complex problem causing the sadness and tension, and I hear agony while wrangling with the solution.

The last section of this piece (5:23) I can’t explain because the meaning I find in it is always changing. Is it execution of the plan to solve the problem, or is it inner reflection doubting success? The mood changes dramatically at 5:49 (from minor to major, I think?). Was the problem solved successfully or was there some sort of epiphany and acceptance that there will always be this sadness and tension? I don’t know yet, and that’s one of the things that keep drawing me back to this piece.

Thanks for listening! smile

(p.s. the video should be up by recital time)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:4 years after returning. Lots as a kid.
Title of piece:Intermezzo Op.29 No.4
Composer:Eugen d'Albert
Duration:02:44
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer line-in. Audacity.
Additional info:Here is a lively little piece by Eugen d'Albert (1864-1932), a student of Liszt. It's the Intermezzo from his 5 Bagatelles Op.29.

The first theme (A) is played in light staccato and has a Beethoven feel to it.

The second theme (B) is a lovely, lyrical melody.

The first theme is repeated, followed by a repeat of the second theme, but this time in D flat, on a grander scale and with some challanging arpeggios in the left hand.

The first theme is repeated again, and the piece closes with fragments of the first theme.

So the structure of the piece is ABABA.

Hope you enjoy it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ten left thumbs
Experience:12 years?
Title of piece:Slow Blues in G
Composer:Tim Richards
Duration:02:32
Source of music:sheet, CD, own composition
Instrument used:Knight
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:This is the result of my 'Blue January.' smile

The head is taken from Tim Richard's book (Improvising Blues Piano), and I learned the first solo by copying Richard's playing on the CD, using magic softward called Transcribe. I then composed a second solo, which I play here right after the first.

This has also been an experiment for me in learning and memorizing music - without looking at the sheet! So there are a few stumbles here where I just forget what I'm doing. But overall I hope it's enjoyable, and any comments/critique (good, bad or otherwise) will be very welcome! smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:35 years with a few years of lessons
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Biffer5#p/u/1/b6BdW7Vq9vo
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Thoughts of Anne
Composer:Peyton
Duration:04:13
Instrument used:Pramberger-YC 6'10" grand
Recording method:mac
Additional info:This is based on a melody I wrote many years ago. I've played around with it ever since. It actually had a final, more complicated variation. When I initially recorded it I had a chance to listen and realized how badly I played I so ended up with this "less complicated" version.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Manndrew
Experience:Since just before JFK became president.
Title of piece:Danny Boy
Composer:Frederick Weatherly
Duration:05:28
Instrument used:Roland Fp-7
Recording method:Zoom H4 normalized and exported through Audacity.
Additional info:Dave Frank played Jarrett’s version of Danny Boy at the end of his videocast and I was immediately drawn to it. The chord structure seemed so unusual, but fit the piece so well. As I’ve said before some of Jarrett’s ballad covers are “reasonably” accessible. Danny Boy has a manageable pace to it. The difficulty is in the big chords and extended passages with the chord changes and keeping the melody distinct in the right hand. Also I found it hard to maintain the dynamics I was looking for consistently. As with all Jarrett’s music it remains a work in progress.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:8 years
Title of piece:Prelude No. 4 in F Major
Composer:Robert D. Vandall
Duration:01:38
Source of music:Vandall Classics Preludes:24 Original Piano Solos
Instrument used:Roland FP-4
Recording method:Akoustik Piano using Bechstein 280 Grand virtual piano, normalized with Audacity.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:John Frank
Experience:4 yrs. +
Title of piece:Ashokan Farewell
Composer:Jay Ungar
Duration:03:28
Source of music:Individual sheet music published by Alfred Publishing Co. and available from (among others) sheetmusicplus.com.
Instrument used:Yamaha CVP-301 Digital Piano
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:Many will recognize "Ashokan Farewell" as the main theme of the excellent PBS documentary series "The Civil War" by Ken Burns. However, this gorgeous work was not composed by Jay Ungar for that purpose. Instead it was written some 6 years earlier as a parting, or farewell, waltz for those attending the Ashokan Fiddle and Dance Camps that Jay and his wife Molly Mason run in upstate New York. The original recorded piece, as used with such inspired brilliance by Burns, has Ungar on "fiddle" and Mason on guitar (and can be seen/heard on YouTube with scenes from the documentary).

If any piece of music can be appropriately described as "hauntingly beautiful" it is this inspired and stirring conception of Ungar's. And as a tribute to Jay I open this version with a solo violin statement of the theme of the first section of the work (using the violin "voice" on my DP), which then transitions into my performance of this very fine piano arrangement.

The piece consists of two 16-measure sections each with it's own distinctive (and yet interrelated) theme. This piano arrangement by the prolific and creative Dan Coates first takes us through the two sections in a lovely but uncomplicated style, and then repeats them in a slightly more complex arrangement. I didn't change the music at all, but some of the dynamics and tempo changes are mine.

It was a real pleasure to work on this wonderful piece of music and it's an absolute joy to play. I hope you enjoy this version. It is played here from memory.

JF

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TrueBeginner
Experience:2 years
Title of piece:Until Dawn
Composer:Original
Duration:03:45
Source of music:Original Composition
Instrument used:Casio Privia
Additional info:With this piece I did differently than before. I got the left hand chords first from a song I liked a lot and built a new melody around it. I also added a change from minor to major to make it sound a little optimistic at the end. I hope you guys like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; two and a half years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://home.roadrunner.com/~riddlereader/
Title of piece:On Green Dolphin Street
Composer:Bronislau Kaper and Ned Washington
Duration:05:55
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Additional info:This song was originally written for a movie. It was later recorded by Miles Davis, and has since become a jazz standard.

I am playing the piano, but the drums and bass are provided by a backing track.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Strings & Wood/CarlMc
Experience:21 Months as a re-beginner. Two years of lessons some time ago.
Title of piece:Prelude in E minor OP. 28 No. 4
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:10
Source of music:Sheet
Instrument used:Schimmel 213K NWS
Recording method:Zoom2 and Audacity
Additional info:Every left hand chord change is incremental. One or two notes may only change a semitone. This constant shift from black keys to white keys to black keys makes it difficult to maintain an even sound. It is beautiful when you do, and not so much, when you don't.

Originally, I played this pretty much as written, but along the way the left hand play has become more rubato.

The ending for me, is one of heartbeat. It slows, a brief pause, a couple of weary beats more and then ends. It is difficult to remove your hand from that last E octave.

Comments appreciated.

Carrots & apples

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ladypayne
Experience:maybe 10 years or so off and on. Probably more than that. I've only had lessons for a few years when I was younger.. A lot younger lol.. So I've been playing by myself for the most part since then.
Video link:http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/LadyPayne/Recital%20piece/?action=view¤t=CanoninDMajor_0001.flv
Home page link:http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/LadyPayne/Piano%20music/
Title of piece:Canon in D
Composer:Johann Pachelbel
Duration:05:59
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Grinnell Bros piano. Year unknown.
Recording method:digital camera
Additional info:Well, I've worked on this alot and still messed up a few times and I had to work on my tempo some because I played parts of it to fast but I hope it turned out okay just the same!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Schubertian
Experience:7 as child; long hiatus; last 3 years
Title of piece:Variations Hob. III/77
Composer:Haydn
Duration:07:31
Source of music:Haydn Klavierstudke, Wiener Urtext
Instrument used:Estonia grand
Recording method:H2/Garageband
Additional info:This poor little melody has certainly, and undeservedly, been dragged through the mud of history. It started out life as a patriotic anthem to Franz der Kaiser (which one I have no idea). Haydn heard 'God save the Kinq/Queen' when he was in England and thought it was so stirring he decided to do the same for the Holy Roman Empire - what was left of it. Then he seems to have turned it into a hymn, which certainly works. Then it become the slow movement of the Op 62 C major string quartet. I guess that was so popular Haydn arranged it for piano.

It's not too hard to dissociate this melody from Deutschland uber alles (Bismark's brainchild) from this melody, especially since the setting is so refined. I am sure its original audience - hearing the 4 part choral harmony setting at the beginning - would have anticipated a deeply felt, spiritual and introspective piece - which this is. I consider it the equal of the Mozart quintets or the late Beethoven string quartets.

I did not really learn this piece so this is me just sight reading. It does not flow like it should but I don't have anything else ready right now that is not destined for another e-cital so here it is - warts and all.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super Hunky
Experience:Who cares?
Title of piece:Waterfalls
Composer:Mr Super Hunky
Duration:03:29
Source of music:Original composition played by ear.
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin Big Boy (BB)
Recording method:Zoom H2 (the cheapest model of the Zooms actually sounds the best!)
Additional info:Here is an original composition based off of melodies I use to practice. Someday I hope to be able to perform all of the melodies in my head the way I actually hear them but my abilities can hinder that somewhat. No worries though as long as I'm still seeing progress, it's all good.

My goal is to someday have people wanting to play *my* tunes. That would be cool.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:tdvance (Todd Vance)
Experience:1 year
Title of piece:Sonatina, Op. 13, No. 1, 1st mvt.
Composer:Dmitri Kabalevsky
Duration:04:53
Source of music:Piano Literature, Vol 4: for the Early Advanced Grades
Ed: James Bastien
General Words and Music Co.
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius Digital Piano, DP-160
Additional info:nice piece, wanted to do the whole piece originally but: 1. at the speed I can play it, would be 15 minutes, 2. I need work on 4 measures of the 3rd mvt that go much slower than I can play the rest of it (the right hand doing a melodic minor scale while the left hand simultaneously does minor arpeggio)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:timmyab
Experience:16 years
Title of piece:Impromptu op 142 no 2
Composer:Schubert
Duration:05:35
Source of music:Peters edition of the Schubert Impromptus edited by Niemann.
Instrument used:Yamaha s30
Recording method:Wav file exported from Pianoteq and converted to mp3 with Audacity.
Additional info:The Schubert Impromtus were what first attracted me to the piano, and as this one is the easiest of them, it's the first one that I learnt to play.I've been playing it on and off for about 15 years I suppose.I've left out some of the repeats because it repeats itself a lot anyway and it can get a bit boring.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission