Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1374263 - 02/15/10 12:46 AM Noise Cancelling Headphones
Ludwig van Bilge Offline

Not really a piano topic but some of youze guys are audio wizards:

Regarding noise cancelling headphones - I understand that they're better for obliviating low frequencies than high and that travellers commonly use them for airplane noise. But I haven't heard how they perform for cancelling the noise from the TV in the next room or hidious death metal from the boom box next door which penetrates insulated walls. If you have any experience you'd like to share I'm all ears.

Thank you.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1374269 - 02/15/10 12:55 AM Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Re: Ludwig van Bilge]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have noise cancelling headphones from Bose, Panasonic, and Able Planet. I like the Able Planet the best since it seems to remove more noise than the other, not just the lows but part of the mids as well. I use it all the time next to the noisy refrigerator watching TV and it cuts down the noise from the fridge considerably. You can use it plain without the active noise reduction circuitry activated, too. It also has some circuitry in there to boost speech for better clarity. And there's a volume control slider built in so it's convenient. I paid $50 for it from Costco shipping included.

#1374424 - 02/15/10 06:47 AM Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Re: Volusiano]
Paul_S Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Like you said most Noise Cancelling headphones are designed for the removal of noise like airplane engines, train wheels on a track etc. Most of the noise that is probably getting to you would probably be low frequency noise so it may work. Another viable alternative is to get in-ear earphones like that from Shure (Like their highly recommended SE530), or other high quality brands (There is a bunch of them) They go into your canal and block out almost all outside noise. They are usually very high quality in fidelity and many audiophiles enjoy them.

If you google Best In-Ear earhones I am sure you will find several audio sites with recommendations. http://reviews.cnet.com/best-earbuds/

#1374437 - 02/15/10 07:30 AM Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Re: Paul_S]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
I have an inexpensive pair of Sony NC headphones and play my dp in the same room as a tv, which is less than 4 ft away. all the time. I can say they work very well, I don't hear anything at all except for the piano.

#1375312 - 02/16/10 06:32 AM Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Re: piRround]
Svendsen Offline

Loc: Denmark
If you go for In-ear phones, get the Creative Aurvana EP-630 or EP-830. Amazing quality for bargain price. Not the best OF ALL but certainly very good and you just can't beat that price.

#1375342 - 02/16/10 08:29 AM Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Re: Svendsen]
KeVan Offline

I have Sony MDR-NC7 headphones. I bought them for about $75.

Personally, I would never use the noise canceling option on my DP. Noise canceling basically adds a certain frequency to neutralize the background (at least for mine). It's not full proof either. It reduces noise from the background or people from far away but, not people or things beside you (unless you start turning up your volume but if you do that, who needs noise canceling lol).

The higher end models of noise canceling probably will do a better job though. Mine is more of a entry level type, which I kind of regret buying.

#1375401 - 02/16/10 10:05 AM Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Re: KeVan]
LaRate Offline

Loc: Germany
I think a more feasible option are closed studio headphones such as AKG K-271 or Audio Technica ATH-M40FS (if you're on a budget). They lock external sound off quite effectively without disturbing any desired frequencies from your DP (or any other source). They are - however - quite big and therefore not adequate for mobile use.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (AmateurBob, Almaviva, 36251, 44 invisible), 1648 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153604 Topics
2251263 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
04/20/14 01:05 PM
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
04/20/14 01:01 PM
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
04/20/14 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
04/20/14 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
04/20/14 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission