Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1374699 - 02/15/10 01:41 PM Kawai CE200 Opinions
bballer34 Offline

I visited the local Sam Ash store over the weekend to play the Yamaha YDP 160 and P155 side by side for comparison. However, they had a Kawai CE200 that I thought was pretty good as well. Any opinions good or bad on the CE200? I thought that Yamaha had the best action of anyone, but the Kawai wasn't bad, just different.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1374872 - 02/15/10 05:09 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: bballer34]
susanmusic Offline

How forunute for you that you can try a CE-200 next to the others.

Keep in mind that I'm more "tolerant" than "picky" as compared to others here. I wanted some features that only the CE-200 offered in this price range. (Console with speakers at least 20 plus 20, audio line in, wooden keys.)

I'm quite happy with my CE-200. It's my primary piano for teaching in my home studio. Before buying I'd read about a problem of keys somtimes sticking up about 1/4 inch. It's true. I can live with it. Just push the key back down.

A personal decision is whether you prefer the Yamaha sound. The Kawai took some getting used to as my other pianos/keyboards are mainly Yamahas.

#1375970 - 02/16/10 09:00 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: susanmusic]
Peacemaker Offline

Loc: usa
Hi again Susan, given that you use the CE200 for teaching, do you feel that the pedals is close enough to an acoustic piano that one can advance one's pedal technique on it and then transfer those skills to an actual acoustic piano. Also, did you have any trouble with your pedals thus far or have they been durable. Thanks. Peacemaker.

#1376012 - 02/16/10 09:59 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: bballer34]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: bballer34
I visited the local Sam Ash store over the weekend to play the Yamaha YDP 160 and P155 side by side for comparison. However, they had a Kawai CE200 that I thought was pretty good as well.

My opinion matches yours. But I think the weak point of the CE200 was sound. Newer Kawai have much improved sound. Kawai's strong point is their key action.

My local Sam Ask also has all those DPs side by side

I play on an older Kawai about three hours a week at school and the sound is acceptable for learning and practice but not for recording. At home I have a P155. The P155 sound is better but the key action is good in both cases.

Given an unlimited budget. I think I'd have a Roland HP307. But what I did is divide all the DP's into two stacks, those that I liked and those I didn't. then I bought the lowst priced DP in the "like" stack. All of the Rolands and Kawai that I liked where over $2K. The P155 was on sale for under $1K.

If the Yamaha CP50 hits the stores anytime soon you should look at that. Same key action as the P155 but with next generation of sound.

#1376049 - 02/16/10 10:53 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: ChrisA]
bballer34 Offline

Chris, thanks for the input. I feel like I can't quite get all the features I want within a reasonable budget! The P155 seems to be the closest though without the best sounding speakers and the cabinet look that seems to be the only thing my wife cares about smile Anyway, I mentioned in another thread that the P155 I tried out had nice action but the keys felt a bit different from the YDP160. Almost like they weren't quite as slick and were made out of something a bit different. I'm pretty sure that's not the case but have you heard of anything like that or is it just me (or maybe I just got hold of a dud)?

#1376517 - 02/17/10 01:53 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: Peacemaker]
susanmusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Peacemaker
Hi again Susan, given that you use the CE200 for teaching, do you feel that the pedals is close enough to an acoustic piano that one can advance one's pedal technique on it and then transfer those skills to an actual acoustic piano. Also, did you have any trouble with your pedals thus far or have they been durable. Thanks. Peacemaker.

Well, that's an interesting question. Most of my students are beginners through intermediates. We just work on basic damper pedal overlapping/syncopated technique. No one has trouble going between the CE-200 and my Yamaha grand. As far as I know, no one has trouble going back and forth between my pianos and home pianos. And, so far, the CE-200 pedals have been just fine. The CE-200 does have half-damper capacity, a feature which is becoming rather standard on DP's.

#1376590 - 02/17/10 03:37 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: bballer34]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chris, thanks for the input. I feel like I can't quite get all the features I want within a reasonable budget! The P155 seems to be the closest though without the best sounding speakers and the cabinet look that seems to be the only thing my wife cares about smile

Here are some logical arguments to try. Althoug I know Logic falls on deaf ears...

Tell the wife that unless you spend a ton of money on the DP the "cabinet look" is just plastic laminate over particle board. That is what you get on the YDP. It looks "fake" because it is. On the other hand a P series Yamaha (on the matching Yamaha stand) has a modern look and does not try to hide what it really is, a digital piano and so it does not look like a fake.

The construction quality of the lower priced "cabinet DPs" is about the same as Ikea. Hardly an upscale interior design statement.

There are good reasons to buy a YDP, perhaps you like the that the pedals are held in place by a cross braces that is screwed to the stand? or the placement of the speakers. But because you want fancy looking furnture no the materials and joinery on the YDP series is not up to "furniture grade".

#1376664 - 02/17/10 05:14 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: ChrisA]
bballer34 Offline

Great points Chris! Any thoughts on the last question in that post though? I copied it below.

Anyway, I mentioned in another thread that the P155 I tried out had nice action but the keys felt a bit different from the YDP160. Almost like they weren't quite as slick and were made out of something a bit different. I'm pretty sure that's not the case but have you heard of anything like that or is it just me (or maybe I just got hold of a dud)?

#1376680 - 02/17/10 05:29 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: bballer34]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Great points Chris! Any thoughts on the last question in that post though? I copied it below.

Anyway, I mentioned in another thread that the P155 I tried out had nice action but the keys felt a bit different from the YDP160.

The key action should be identical. Perhaps one had been on the demo floor longer or maybe at one time a can of soda was spilled into one of the DPs?

The difference in the sound might fool you into thinking the key action is difference. With fewer velocity layers maybe you have to play the YDP harder to get the same timbre. I'd bet it is some effect like that.

#1376777 - 02/17/10 07:14 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: ChrisA]
bballer34 Offline

I would have to agree with your take. It was certainly odd though. I even pointed it out to my patient wife that it wasn't really the action, but almost like the keys weren't as smooth as on the YDP. Anyway, I appreciate your help!

#1376818 - 02/17/10 07:57 PM Re: Kawai CE200 Opinions [Re: susanmusic]
Peacemaker Offline

Loc: usa
Thanks Susan. I am looking forward to trying this one out too.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
173 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, 255, accordeur, 53 invisible), 1649 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157238 Topics
2309419 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Quote not working properly
by Hakki
09/02/14 12:39 PM
DEBUSSY: ONDINE from Preludes Bk. II
by Hal Freedman
09/02/14 12:33 PM
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
09/02/14 11:52 AM
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
09/02/14 11:00 AM
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
09/02/14 09:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission