Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1375243 - 02/16/10 01:56 AM Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

I posted in another thread that my CLP 240 manual says in order to connect to PC, I have to download the accompanied CD-ROM, which incidentally is exclusively for Windows.

The problem is I don't have PC but a Mac, an iMac to be specific. A few forum members who responded to my question are of the view that a driver is not necessary.

This is the first time in my life I'm attempting to connect a DP to a computer....and it appears that my greatest nightmare has come alive cry

I bought a USB to host cable for 49 baht. I visited a couple of iStudio (Mac dealers) and saw that they used the same cable to connect a keyboard to the Mac.

I followed the instructions of the manual, without the driver, of course. Well, nothing happened after that, not even after I turned on my Garageband. The sound of the piano continued to emanate from my DP speakers. It's as if they were not talking to each other at all. I couldn't find any switches on the DP or any buttons in the Garageband saying that I could 'turn off the local MIDI' etc.

Could anyone help ?

Edited by Cashley (02/16/10 02:12 AM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1375386 - 02/16/10 09:39 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've gone to Yamaha Japan website to download a driver for Mac OS. It's a bit too dark now in Bangkok to be connecting cables.

Hope it works tomorrow.

#1375392 - 02/16/10 09:48 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
LaRate Offline

Loc: Germany
I made the experience that the 'boot' order is important. Try to

1. start your Mac,
2. start Garageband
3. connect the CLP (still switched off) and the computer via USB
4. switch on the CLP

If all worked out, you should see a message that says "1 additional MIDI input" (...or something very similar, i'm working on a german OS).

#1375473 - 02/16/10 11:40 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted By: Cashley
I followed the instructions of the manual, without the driver, of course. Well, nothing happened after that, not even after I turned on my Garageband. The sound of the piano continued to emanate from my DP speakers. It's as if they were not talking to each other at all.

I doubt that the DP speakers will turn off automatically either turn down the volume or plug a jackplug into the headphone socket. If you're connecting with USB I highly doubt you will need additional drivers.

If you get the message about midi device detected everything should be fine. Make sure you have a software instrument track selected or nothing will happen! If you need a new software instrument track press the + at the bottom left of the garageband interface to create a new track and select software instrument from the pop up.

Edited by BazC (02/16/10 11:41 AM)

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1375485 - 02/16/10 11:55 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
This is the first time in my life I'm attempting to connect a DP to a computer......

So the DP's speakers don't turn off? That is to be expected. Try plugging in a headphone. Either that or just a small headphone adaptor, just put anything in the headphone jack and the speakers will turn off.

So now from within Garage Band the first step is to create a "software instrument track". Then asign some kind of instrument to it. "Piano" would be the obvious choice but any will do.

That should be it. If you have an iMac you don't need drivers or software. Apple sets it all up for you pre-installed and ready to go.

If you are using standard MIDI connector on the piano, those are the round kind. A common mistake is to reverse them. If nothing work swap them. It is a little counter intuitive the the out plug goes to the in jack and vice versa.

The thing to understand about Garage Band (and other software like it) is that first you have to create a "track" to record into. In you have a whole band you'd creat multiple tracks, one for each instrument and microphone. But in your case it is simple just one track. Also remember that in GB there are to kinds of tracks. One is for MIDI data and the other for audio.

#1375548 - 02/16/10 01:04 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: BazC]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BazC
I followed the instructions of the manual, without the driver, of course. Well, nothing happened after that, not even after I turned on my Garageband. The sound of the piano continued to emanate from my DP speakers. It's as if they were not talking to each other at all.

I doubt that the DP speakers will turn off automatically either turn down the volume or plug a jackplug into the headphone socket. If you're connecting with USB I highly doubt you will need additional drivers.

If you get the message about midi device detected everything should be fine. Make sure you have a software instrument track selected or nothing will happen! If you need a new software instrument track press the + at the bottom left of the garageband interface to create a new track and select software instrument from the pop up.

Thanks, BazC.

Well, I didn't get any message about midi device being detected. I did select piano as a software instrument.

We will see what happen tomorrow sleep

#1375552 - 02/16/10 01:10 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

So the DP's speakers don't turn off? That is to be expected. Try plugging in a headphone. Either that or just a small headphone adaptor, just put anything in the headphone jack and the speakers will turn off.

Thanks, ChrisA. But if I plug in a headphone (into the DP), the sound will still be ringing in the headphone. Shouldn't the sound be transferred to my computer speakers instead ?

Quote:

So now from within Garage Band the first step is to create a "software instrument track". Then asign some kind of instrument to it. "Piano" would be the obvious choice but any will do.

That should be it.

I swear I did exactly that. But there is no sign that a midi device has been detected.

Quote:

If you are using standard MIDI connector on the piano, those are the round kind. A common mistake is to reverse them. If nothing work swap them. It is a little counter intuitive the the out plug goes to the in jack and vice versa.

I'm using 'USB to host', not the type round-type of midi connector.

Quote:

The thing to understand about Garage Band (and other software like it) is that first you have to create a "track" to record into. In you have a whole band you'd creat multiple tracks, one for each instrument and microphone. But in your case it is simple just one track. Also remember that in GB there are to kinds of tracks. One is for MIDI data and the other for audio.

So when GB is turned on, I should click "Create New Music Project" ? BTW, I'm still on GB-8 version.

Edited by Cashley (02/16/10 01:11 PM)

#1375559 - 02/16/10 01:15 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

BTW, I'm not sure if the USB cable is the right one. It's a simple USB to host cable, which sticker says it can be used to connect printer and camera. It says nothing about musical instruments and MIDI, but both Apple salesman and Yamaha salesman told me it was the right one.

#1375638 - 02/16/10 02:27 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
But if I plug in a headphone (into the DP), the sound will still be ringing in the headphone. Shouldn't the sound be transferred to my computer speakers instead ?

If you plug in a head phone, yes it will ring in the headphone. So just plug in a short adaptor cable. (I think even a 1/4 inch wood dowel might work, but don't do theat.) All you need to do is trip the switch that is in the jack.

And NO. Sound is NOT transferred over the USB cable. What goes over the cable is MIDI data. This is just the key press, key raise, key velocity and pedal up/down events. Software on the computer generats the sound.

If you want to record audio then connect the DP's Line Out the computer's Line Inusing an audio cable. And record to a "real instrument" track in Garage Band.

Quote:
I swear I did exactly that. But there is no sign that a midi device has been detected.

The sign is that when you play on the DP the notes show up in the track. Nothing happens when yo just plug in the cable.

If you want to test the connection look for the "audio midi setup" application. Run that and click the MIDI tab.

Quote:
So when GB is turned on, I should click "Create New Music Project" ? BTW, I'm still on GB-8 version.

Yes and then after that you create a new software instrument track. The new default track will likely come up with a "real" instrument track, that is the kind you'd use with a microphone.

Edited by ChrisA (02/16/10 02:29 PM)

#1375692 - 02/16/10 03:43 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

The sign is that when you play on the DP the notes show up in the track. Nothing happens when yo just plug in the cable.

Exactly, there was not a single sign. I whacked my DP, BUT the Mac and Yamaha were not in talking terms at all, be it sound or graphics.

Quote:

If you want to test the connection look for the "audio midi setup" application. Run that and click the MIDI tab.

Er....and where would that be ? Inside GarageBand ??

Edited by Cashley (02/16/10 03:44 PM)

#1375712 - 02/16/10 04:09 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

the Mac and Yamaha were not in talking terms at all, be it sound or graphics.

The way to figure this is out to plug in the DP to the mac. Then under the upper right Apple logo pull down menu find "About This Mac" and choose "more info" Then look under "USB" and it will show you are the USB devices both internal and the one you have plugged in. If the Yamaha does not show up some place there you have a problem. But I don't know what it will be lited as. It could be simply "midi device" or some obscure name like "YAM-87HFF0". But it should be there.

The audio-midi setup app is, like all apps in the apps folder. OK it might by in apps->utility. Just double click it or drag to the tool bar if you want.

I always tell people to buy a keyboard with round MIDI DIN plags andthen use a MIDI <-> USB cable that has LEDs. The little flashing LEDs tell you if data is going through the cable andwhich direction. Makes this kind of trouble shoting much easier.

If you do have the round plugs and can't get USB to work it could be a problem with the USB. Try the midi/usb cable

#1375726 - 02/16/10 04:23 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
1. To silence the speakers, plug in phones, slide the speaker switch (located behind the phone jacks) to position 1 or 3. The switch has 3 positions:
a. Headphones only. Speakers are always silent.
b. Headphones and speakers. Both will produce sound.
c. Either/or. This is like most audio equipment. If phones are plugged in, the speakers go silent. Unplug the phones and the speakers produce sound.

Just turn down the volume control if you don't want to hear the phones' sound in the background.

2. The USB connection carrying MIDI data (which you're using) or the "old-fashioned" round MIDI cable (which you're not using) carry no sound. So ...
a. Regardless of whether a USB or MIDI cable is plugged in, the piano will still produce sound from the phones/speakers.
b. The USB/MIDI connection carries no sound. It just carries "keystroke" data. The attached computer must use the data to generate sounds.

3. If you can't get Garage Band working, Red Dot Forever is a simple alternative. It's not rich in features, but it might prove useful for troubleshooting. You "type" on the piano, and Red Dot captures your keystrokes. Red Dot is made for Windows, but someone here was able to run it on his Mac somehow.

(A Google search found that last tidbit in a post from 2007. But the link pointed to the "old" Piano World BBS/forum, which was retired last year, so the link didn't work. Does anyone know how to get Red Dot working on a Mac?)

#1375796 - 02/16/10 05:21 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: MacMacMac]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Red Dot is made for Windows, but someone here was able to run it on his Mac somehow.

I just looked it up. It's hosted on sourceforge.net It's Open Source so all the C++ files are there and it is easy to see what it is.

Yes it will run on the Mac. But first you have to get a copy of VMware's Fusion and then get a copy of Microsoft Windows XP and install that and then finally you can install and run any Windows software on the Mac including Red Dot.

#1375814 - 02/16/10 05:42 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Red Dot is made for Windows, but someone here was able to run it on his Mac somehow.
I just looked it up. It's hosted on sourceforge.net It's Open Source so all the C++ files are there and it is easy to see what it is. Yes it will run on the Mac. But first you have to get a copy of VMware's Fusion and then get a copy of Microsoft Windows XP and install that and then finally you can install and run any Windows software on the Mac including Red Dot.
I saw the source code there. I was hoping someone had re-built the executable to run natively on Mac. Barring that, there's little use to the OP. This was meant as a quickie test, not an exercise in virtualization.

#1375838 - 02/16/10 06:06 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: MacMacMac]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I was hoping someone had re-built the executable to run natively on Mac.

That's why I looked at the source, to see if that could be done. I'd try if it looked possible. But No. It seem to have been written without any thought to portability. Not a chance of it running native on anything but Windows.

#1375925 - 02/16/10 07:41 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Music Major Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You need to use a Yamaha driver to use a USB cable to connect to Garageband etc.

Here is the link to all USB drivers from Yamaha. Scroll down the page a bit for OS X download

Yamaha USB Drivers

Yamaha USB is one of the only USB drivers that must be installed before USB connection will be successful on a Mac

Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.

#1375979 - 02/16/10 09:11 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Music Major]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bravo, Music Major.

Your advice contradicts what others have said. But if Yamaha went to the trouble of making a driver for the Mac, it must be necessary after all.

BTW ... contrary to my nym (MacMacMac), I'm not a Mac user. Don't know much about them.

#1375992 - 02/16/10 09:33 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: MacMacMac]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Bravo, Music Major.

Your advice contradicts what others have said. But if Yamaha went to the trouble of making a driver for the Mac, it must be necessary after all.

Makes sense. What this means is that Yamaha's USB/MIDI implementation is broken. It was designed wrong. Or more accurately it does not follow industry standards and it technically not a USB/Midi device. If it were built correctly it would not need a driver.

I would rather buy a MIDI/USB cable and connect it to the round MIDI In/Out ports then load a Yamaha driver on my Mac. I absolutely do not trust the quality of Yamaha's software.

A good, known to work MIDI cable costs $49 and will work fine with no drivers loaded.

#1376171 - 02/17/10 02:22 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, everybody. I'm happy to announce that I've been making some progress. Yamaha and Mac are now in talking terms, though not the best of lovers yet.

As I installed the driver last night before connecting the two this morning, I'm not able to pinpoint whether it's the result of the driver or my additional awareness (information collated from this thread). However, I could say that before I installed the driver, the MIDI folder in Mac did not have a 'driver' folder at all. I found it in Library>Audio of my Mac that the only MIDI driver installed is the Yamaha driver.

Many thanks to ChrisA for the succinct instructions. If I may ask once again: -

(1) when I turned on my GarageBand and create a new track, it shows 2 tracks instead of one. Both are Grand Piano, one above the other, and they all sound the same to me. But on the right hand side panel of the list of software instruments, there is only one Grand Piano. Why are there 2 tracks of Grand Piano ?

(2) when I plug in my headphones into the jack of my Mac, the output is awful. It's very soft, and the impact is no way comparable to the headphones when plugged directly into my DP. I'm using Sony MDR XD100 headphones, given to me when I bought my CLP 240.

Quote:
The way to figure this is out to plug in the DP to the mac. Then under the upper right Apple logo pull down menu find "About This Mac" and choose "more info" Then look under "USB" and it will show you are the USB devices both internal and the one you have plugged in. If the Yamaha does not show up some place there you have a problem.

BTW, after I managed to get the two lovers talking to each other, I did the above but still couldn't find any USB references to my Yamaha keyboard.

#1376172 - 02/17/10 02:27 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
LaRate Offline

What this means is that Yamaha's USB/MIDI implementation is broken. It was designed wrong. Or more accurately it does not follow industry standards and it technically not a USB/Midi device.

There is no such thing as a "USB-MIDI" industry standard - all DP manufacturers handle this differently. MIDI, however IS standardized. So if the CLP<-USB->Mac connection does not work, I'd suggest an external MIDI-interface that provides appropiate drivers for MacOS (or works plug-and-play). The setup would be:
CLP(MIDI OUT) <- MIDI cbl -> (MIDI IN) Interface (USB) <- USB cbl -> Mac

The Interface could be a simple MIDI-to-USB converter (e.g. SWISSONIC MIDI-USB or EDIROL UM-1G) or something more sophisticated e.g. EMU XMIDI), or even a full-blown audio interface (e.g. TASCAM US-122MK2 or PRESONUS AUDIOBOX USB).

#1376177 - 02/17/10 03:00 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: LaRate]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Gentlemen, any idea what can be done to make my the software instruments in Garageband sound grandeur ?

The piano sound is pathetic. It's really too soft even after I've pulled the volume button to maximum. The rest of the software instruments present in Garageband are hardly audible.

And before you cast aspersions on the quality of my iMac speakers ha ....Hey, they are absolutely wonderful when I play my MP3 songs.

#1376182 - 02/17/10 03:15 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: LaRate]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
There is no such thing as a "USB-MIDI" industry standard - all DP manufacturers handle this differently.

Never say "There is no such thing as..." because it is easy to be shown wrong simply by pointing to one example. Better to say "I don't know of any..."

USB MIDI Device Standard

Some may choose to go there own way but there IS an industry standard and almost every USB Midi device actually does follow the above standard and can be plugged in and "just work".

These standards are not obscure. Every engineer who has worked on USB knows about device classes. It's "basic".

Yamaha's problem with creating a non-standard MIDI device is that they will have now support it "forever" (literally). Whenever Apple or Microsoft releases anew operating system Yamaha will have to at least re-test their driver and likely change it to work with the new OS. If anew OS becomes popular Yamaha will have to write a driver for it. Yamaha will one year loose interest in supporting their old out of production DP. Had they gotten it right and produced a class compliant USB device then Apple and Microsoft would maintain the driver and we have some assurance the DP will continue to work in the future. One wonders why they've not corrected this with a firmware update. How long will Yamaha spend money on staff to maintain this driver when the CP240 is no longer generating income. Every minor release of every OS requires that drivers undergo new QC testing and then any problems must be addressed.

Edited by ChrisA (02/17/10 03:30 AM)

#1376185 - 02/17/10 03:28 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
LaRate Offline

Gentlemen, any idea what can be done to make my the software instruments in Garageband sound grandeur ?

The piano sound is pathetic. It's really too soft even after I've pulled the volume button to maximum. The rest of the software instruments present in Garageband are hardly audible.

And before you cast aspersions on the quality of my iMac speakers ha ....Hey, they are absolutely wonderful when I play my MP3 songs.

GarageBand has no claim to be a professional tool for music production. The provided software instruments are merely toys that may suffice for practising or for podcast background music. Those elaborately sampled instruments out there on the market are that expensive for a reason. Try and download the pianoteq trial (though this is not sampled but modelled piano sound) - it sounds way better than the Garageband pianos.

@ChrisA: I didn't know that - interesting.

#1376192 - 02/17/10 03:54 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: LaRate]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

I wouldn't entirely agree with that. GarageBand is basically a simplified version of Logic and is capable of excellent quality, it's true the samples that come with it aren't the best but they are OK and you can add much better ones for afraction of the price of Pianoteq either using Apples Jampacks (the orchestralpack has a. Pretty good Steinway, Harpsichord and some organs) or by buying samples from other companies like Sampletek, they have excellent samples from as little as 40 dollars.

I'd agree with trying Pianoteq though, it has a long demo, 6 weeks I think and it sounds and feels wonderful. It'll play through Garageband too if you want!

On the poor sound you're getting at the moment it's probably just a matter of adjusting levels in Garageband. There are several volume controls and all will be set around 2/3 by default. Try turning them up but watch out for distortion (clipping) There's a volume control on each instrument track, a master volume at the bottom of the UI and another in the edit section of each instrument.

Edited by BazC (02/17/10 03:55 AM)

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1376195 - 02/17/10 04:06 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Some of it is the speakers. Yes they are amazingly good given their size. Whoever designed them was one bright guy to think of using the table top as a reflector. But playing MP3 files is not the same as playing a musical instrument. The MP3 are mixed and mastered to sond good in cheap speakers. Te piano is not processed at all. One inch diameter speakers just can't do much bass. ( For those not familiar with the iMac. It uses 1 diameter speakers that are aimed downward at the table top.)

OK several ways to make it batter...

1) Look at the note velocities. They should range from 0 to 127. 127 is for a note played "fff" and 0 for "ppp". It is not exact but if the note are rangig fromm 4 to 40 that is part of the problem. If they are low. in the editor select al the notes and drag them up closer to fff just to see what happens

2) The piano samples included for "free" with garage band are only of modest quality and are just enough to get you started. Likely the CLP240 has better internal sound. You might want to invest in a better software instrument that can be used inside Garage band. Synthology's Ivory or Piantoteq are two to look at. There are many more. Apple sells "Jam Pack" DVDs with better pianos on them for cheap. but still not as good as the others

3) try headphones. Pug headphone into the Mac. Is the sound OK?

4) as a test, bring up the "loop browser" and click a piaon loop, like "pop piano 12" or whatever and audition the sound. Do these sond better or worse then what you recorded

Note that these are three volume controls. 1) the volume on the track, 2) Garage Band's master output volu at thebottm of GB. and 3) the Mac's system volume at the upper right of the desktop. Set them all to high and see what happens

Edited by ChrisA (02/17/10 04:11 AM)

#1376227 - 02/17/10 05:26 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: BazC]
LaRate Offline

I wouldn't entirely agree with that. GarageBand is basically a simplified version of Logic and is capable of excellent quality

True - I merely stated that it is no professional tool (while Logic can be seen as such). GB can surely be used as a host for high-quality VIs.

...or by buying samples from other companies like Sampletek, they have excellent samples from as little as 40 dollars.

Yes, but that is $40 for one single virtual instrument - this is considerably more than $99 for something like 30 jam pack instruments (of which one is a piano). And yes, admittedly pianoteq is not the low-cost choice among useable VIs - one can get good quality for less than $300 (i mentioned it for it has a trial version).

I'd agree with trying Pianoteq though, it has a long demo, 6 weeks I think and it sounds and feels wonderful. It'll play through Garageband too if you want!

Unfortunately though, some notes are deactivated in the demo, so that it can only be used to get a basic idea of its capabilities.

#1376230 - 02/17/10 05:36 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: LaRate]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

True!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1376287 - 02/17/10 08:33 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK several ways to make it batter...

1) Look at the note velocities. They should range from 0 to 127. 127 is for a note played "fff" and 0 for "ppp". It is not exact but if the note are rangig fromm 4 to 40 that is part of the problem. If they are low. in the editor select al the notes and drag them up closer to fff just to see what happens

When I last checked, it was 101. But there is a difference in volume when I strike the key on my Clavinova vs using my mouse to hit on the virtual keyboard. On its own, ie. without the Clavinova connected, the sound is reasonably clear and loud. With Clavinova connected, it's very soft.

Quote:

3) try headphones. Pug headphone into the Mac. Is the sound OK? {/quote]

Well, didn't I also tell you the model of my Sony headphone ? Yes, even via headphone the sound is awfully soft. Rest assured I turned on all 3 volume controls to the highest.

[quote]
4) as a test, bring up the "loop browser" and click a piaon loop, like "pop piano 12" or whatever and audition the sound. Do these sond better or worse then what you recorded

This one I don't understand. Why is the 'loop' for in the first place ?

#1376288 - 02/17/10 08:35 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

With respect to the low volume output of software instrument via Garageband, does anyone think that I should download ASIO driver for my Mac built-in soundcard ?

I'm going to try Pianoteq free software later. How do I integrate Pianoteq with Garageband ? Do I need to download some VST host ?

#1376299 - 02/17/10 09:01 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Music Major Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL

Makes sense. What this means is that Yamaha's USB/MIDI implementation is broken. It was designed wrong. Or more accurately it does not follow industry standards and it technically not a USB/Midi device. If it were built correctly it would not need a driver.

I would rather run clean myself also. You do get additional benefit with the Yamaha USB driver. It gives you much more flexibility by increasing your Midi channels from "1 IN/OUT" to "16 IN/OUT". The driver gives you a Midi grid to manage if you need it. I believe it helps you if you consider using the multi-track mixer that is onboard the DP.

Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (ABC Vermonter, accordeur, A Guy, Alux, AmateurBob, 39 invisible), 1511 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252933 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
19 minutes 15 seconds ago
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
56 minutes 12 seconds ago
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
Today at 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
Today at 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
Today at 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission