Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, Anita Potter, anamnesis, BB Player, 50 invisible), 1656 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1371945 - 02/12/10 04:07 PM Looking to buy my first DP
meechelley Offline

I'm looking to buy a digital piano as a temporary replacement for my acustic. I'm trying to get back into playing the piano since I had no time in college but now I really miss it. Unfortunately my piano is at my parents house and I live in a different state now. I am also moving quite a bit and in apartments so getting another piano at the moment would not be an option. I'm quite particular with how keys feel and I would like to stay as close as I can get with a DP. I definitely do not need all the bells and whistles that come with a DP like other sounds and computer outputs and such since I will be using it to just to be a temporary replacement for a piano until I settle down.

I've done a bit of research and went to a couple stores to try them out. So far I've liked the Yamaha CP33, Casio PX330, Casio CDP100 and the Yamaha P85. I've tried the PX130 and found that I like how the 330 feels vs the 130. I don't know if its an older display or if there is a significant difference. With the CDP100 the sound seems a little off to me but the feel isn't too bad compared to the others. Any advice or experiences with the quality of each DP would be very appreciated. Any other suggestions to one that might fit my needs would be perfect too! I would like to keep the cost at $800 or lower as I will be investing in a real piano within a year or two (I'm just being stubborn and itching to play again).

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1372019 - 02/12/10 06:06 PM Re: Looking to buy my first DP [Re: meechelley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
What a mix of pianos you liked! The CP33 and P85 used very different key actions. I'm surprised you like both. They are different enough I'd expect you have a strong preference for one over the other. But the 330 and 130 have identical action so I'm surprised you'd have a preference.

All the better key actions in the Yamaha, Roland and Kawai lines are in pianos that sell for over $1,000. So you're looking at Casio and the lower end of the Yamaha line. Or Korg. If you can find a Korg SP250 it woud be worth trying it out. But I would not buy any piano without playing it first.

"temporary" can some times last longer than you might thing. You may find your self living in an apartment or with some some who likes to sleep at night so you ppractice hours could be limited with an acoustic piano. Digital ianos can be used with headphones. So even if you owned an acoustic you may still find you need the digital piano. So what I'd saying is choose the digital piano carefully and try out the actions for good long time before you deside. But then, like I wrote above all the pianos with top-line key actions sell for over $1K

BTW The CP33 you played sells for $1,200. The P155 uses the same key action and is also the same price but better suited to home practice than the cp33 which is a stage piano.

#1372044 - 02/12/10 06:36 PM Re: Looking to buy my first DP [Re: ChrisA]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
I've had great success with Yamaha's P-85...at one point I had two of them....just sold one of them to get the newer P-95.

An extremely lightweight, reasonably priced piano, even with the optional stand and pedal assembly...looks nice too.

I really like the P-85's action too...not too light, not too heavy; a nicely weighted graded touch that I can play for extended periods without discomfort.

Nice basic features like effects, and layering(piano with strings, for example) and very durable and dependable even after many many hours of playing.

The well respected Yamaha name also means an easier re-sell when you want to move up to something bigger, and it's dedicated MIDI in/out ports are really handy should you decide to ever use VST's.

My only gripe is that the on-board speakers could be more robust (they aren't awful, just not powerful), but I cured that by buying a Logitech Z-2300 Stereo Speaker system (well under $200) that gives the P-85 a sound that rivals digital pianos costing many times more.

As Chris recommends, do try and play any instrument that really interests you, and keep asking questions on this forum...there is a lot of knowledge here that will make your buying experience far less stressful.

Good luck,

Snazzy

#1372574 - 02/13/10 11:40 AM Re: Looking to buy my first DP [Re: snazzyplayer]
meechelley Offline

Thank you for the responses! I went back to the store last night and spent a good amount of time trying each of the ones I had mentioned. I do agree with Chris about the differences in each one. My initial trip was just me poking at the keys and quickly listening to the sound. Last night I actually sat down with headphones and played on each one. I decided to go with the P85 because I did like the feel of the keys more than the Casios. The Casios I was looking at were a little too heavy and the feel of the keys when it comes back up gives too much of a punch and got a little annoying to me after a couple songs. Although I did like the CP33 it had so many extra features and I know is quite different from my actual purchase. I originally wanted the CP300 which was way way out of my price range. The P85 purchase was a compromise between what I liked and my wallet ^__^. I ended up buying the P85 for $450 and at the time the CP33 was $850 so there was a significant difference. So far I'm happy with the P85. Snazzy, thanks for the advice about getting a separate speaker system for it. I might just do that whenever I get to the point in which I want to not just play to myself ^__^.

#1372617 - 02/13/10 12:30 PM Re: Looking to buy my first DP [Re: meechelley]
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
The P85 is an excellent DP and should provide you years of enjoyment!

#1373017 - 02/13/10 09:24 PM Re: Looking to buy my first DP [Re: meechelley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
... buying the P85 for $450 and at the time the CP33 was $850 ...

Was that a one time sale or have prices come down that low. Last I checked the prices were $600 and $1,000.

#1375626 - 02/16/10 02:07 PM Re: Looking to buy my first DP [Re: ChrisA]
meechelley Offline

I was lucky and started shopping during President's Day sales. Guitar Center had a 15% off anything $299 or more. They had reduced each of the mentioned DPs about $150 to $50 below their retail. Their online prices though did not reflect the store's prices (since I think each store got to decide the markdown for the sale). So I did some math and found that if I price matched their $600 price online with the 15% it would be cheaper (since they do an additional 10% off to beat the price match). Thats why the P85 was $450. Otherwise the sale markdown (in store was $530). Unfortunately the markdown on the CP33 is the same price as the 15% off retail which was $1000 so I couldn't get an extra 10% on that.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160044 Topics
2350234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission