2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am considering buying a digital piano for practice purpose ONLY therefore the sound will be much LESS important than the key touch in my case.

I have tried P155 in the store and I love the key touch. I like heavy keys and my teacher is very keen on this issue, actually this issue only.

Unfortunately I really have no common sense about digital piano at all. Could anyone help me with the decision making here?

Is it sensible for me to get P155 if I won't use it for performance at all?
Is there any other choices who has the same or even better key touch?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by Tigger26; 02/16/10 07:37 PM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Tigger26
I am considering buying a digital piano for practice purpose ONLY therefore the sound will be much LESS important than the key touch in my case.

I have tried P155 in the store and I love the key touch. I like heavy keys and my teacher is very keen on this issue, actually this issue only.

Unfortunately I really have no common sense about digital piano at all. Could anyone help me with the decision making here?

Is it sensible for me to get P155 if I won't use it for performance at all?
Is there any other choices who has the same or even better key touch?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I think the P155 is designed mostly for practice at home. If you can aford it, it's perfect for that use. (But you will need to buy a stand, like the LP140 and make sure nothing yo want to play requires more than two pedals)

There are other pianos the use the same identical key action and wil therefor have the same exact "feel" to the p155. Other Yamahas that share the "GH" action are:

P155, YDP160, YDP223, CP33, CP300 and the new CP50 when it comes out. Of those only the CP33 costs lessthan the P155, the others or more.

The "P" series are slab style pianos suited to home practice. The CP series are stage pianos and the YDP series are home practice pianos fited into cases to make them look like acoustic spinet pianos. Of course any series of piano can be used for any purpose.

I think of the other brands the Kawai is the most like a Yamaha GH based piano.

As for touch, I like the Roland RD700GX best. It uses an action Roland calls "PHA-II with Ivory touch and escapement" It is quite a bit different feel from the Yamaha. Some people don't like it because they say it bottms out to hard. The Roland HP307 and v-pino both use PHA III which is a small step up. But these Rolands cost from 2X to 5X the price of a P155.

Last edited by ChrisA; 02/16/10 08:00 PM.
G
G
The 155 has a weak point in its built-in speakers.
Consider the Yamaha YDP 223 console piano, which today can be bought for around 1,350 dollars. It has the same touch of the 155 and very good amplification and speakers. If you really want "multiple layer" sound, you can get the Yamaha YDP 160, which has a more modern sound technology than the YDP 223, but slightly weaker speakers(but still better than the ones in the 155).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gerardo1000
The 155 has a weak point in its built-in speakers. Consider the Yamaha YDP 223 console piano ...
Hold on there. The OP said:
... buying a digital piano for practice purpose ONLY ... sound will be much LESS important than key touch ...

So the 155 seems the ideal choice.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by gerardo1000
The 155 has a weak point in its built-in speakers.
Consider the Yamaha YDP 223 console piano,...

Yes but the YDP223 has it's own weak point. The internal sample technology is not as good as the P155.

The YDP160 has another weak point. It's controls are poorly designed and hard to use.

For the intended purpose, practice, the P155 speakers are loud enough because, I think most pianists tend to be within an arm's length of the piano when playing, the speakers are fine for someone who is that close.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Don't jump on P155 yet.

Kawai ES6 is a worthy contender. The sound is absolutely wonderful.

And Korg SP170 (which very people have the chance to play on one) is a suave looking keyboard.

Cashley,

And Korg SP170 (which very people have the chance to play on one) is a suave looking keyboard.

suave? Really?
Admittedly, I have yet to try the SP170 first hand, however I believe this model is intended as an ultra-low budget, entry-level instrument akin to the Casio PX-130.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Hey, sorry that I interrupt. Could you tell me where did you find information about people who tried the Korg sp 170?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by ChrisA

I think the P155 is designed mostly for practice at home. If you can aford it, it's perfect for that use. (But you will need to buy a stand, like the LP140 and make sure nothing yo want to play requires more than two pedals)

Thank you so much, Chris!
Yes my plan is going to get the keyboard, stand, stool and other small things together from the same dealer--Rocking Roosters.
I know that the P155 comes with a Yamaha FC4 Sustain Pedal. Do you think I can find a three pedal unit to match P155?

I did try one Roland stage piano in the same store on the same day when I tried the P155, but forgot which model it was cause it was much more expensive, =)
Only remembered that those two are the only ones I like the key touch.

I think I will get this P155.
Thanks for everybody's help! You've made this purchase much more enjoyable! =)

B
B
I got a YDP-160 last week and love it. I liked the sound better than the P155 and it was also less expensive and came with everything; console, hard key cover, pedals, bench. Really enjoying it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission