2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Resurecting old thread here but I had this problem too on RG-3 (baby grand version of the HP207), uses the same keybed as HP207..keys actually started wearing down within the first two weeks of use and thats not even heavy use. However, a quick call to Roland and they replace keybed onsite under warranty with improved keytop material...really good service.

If anyone have doubts about the keys dont worry, it's only a batch that had this problem and it will be sorted out under warranty if you have this problem, HP207 is excellent piano.

P
P
This is true... my 207 had the "dandruff" issues... got it replaced with 88 new ones on -site in my house -- no charge.... sweet!

Just wanted to cross link this to a post where I was just discussing this issue (but with the RD-700GX which has the same keybed/ivory touch). I haven't yet bought the unit yet, but was planning on pulling the trigger this weekend. But after stumbling across this, and the other posts describing the same issue, it's making me re-consider - quite disappointing!

A
A
Hi!

Have you heard something from Roland (Japan) since they confirmed they would re-construct the ivory surface?

/Andrée

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I've had an HP-207 for almost a year and haven't had any trouble at all with this issue. As the posters above said, it seems to have been just a few early models that had problems. For the people who did have problems, Roland has been very good about replacing the keys with new ones. The very heavily used demo model HP-207 in the store I visit is also showing no key wear after an extended time.

I really wouldn't worry about this issue.

T
T
have you tried this shampoo?

[Linked Image]

A
A
Hihi, that was fun actually

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I am sorry to say...

I had the keyboard replaced in November 2009. It is now February and after only 31 hours of playing the keyboard the issue has come back. Four keys show a disintegrating surface.

This does not seem to be a faulty batch issue, but rather a generic design issue.

I like Roland as a company, and wish them well for years to come... and success in their battle to combat Yamaha (welcome to the corporate world)...

What I also know from my peers around Brisbane and the Gold Coast, many CLP owners have had their failing keyboards replaced.

Looks to me no matter what you get/buy you may face issues.
Another user posted on my website saying she has the same issues.

"Happiness is a matter of traveling, not a destination to arrive at!"

Music makes me happy: www.max.grenkowitz.net/
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
megrenk, do you know the date of manufacture of the replacement instrument that you received?

It may have been an older model, manufactured before this issues was resolved.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry, I may not have been clear enough, because "keyboard" is used for two things:

1) the key assembly (incl. black, white keys, mechanics, and electronic forming one unit)
2) a complete musical instrument.

I am referring to the former (1).

I bought the HP207 (a digital piano) in Dec 09
I logged the issue in early 2009
I was asked to wait for a new series of keyboard (as in key assembly) available later in the year.
I waited patiently until later in the year.
A technician came and replaced the keyboard assembly (a great experience: quick and thorough)

As for serial numbers, I only have the serial number of my MH207, which has not changed. I have no serial number information for the keyboard assembly.

I know that the AU sales mgr contacted a techo in Japan into the conversation; I am assuming they would know what the issue is and would ship a revised keyboard assembly and not one from a previous series.

Also, when I said E and B keys I have to look at this closer, as I do not believe this issue is related to particular keys, but rather to all of them... meaning the key surface material has a "design" issue.

Last edited by megrenk; 02/17/10 04:55 AM.

Ah, I see.
Well, I was just trying to give Roland the benefit of the doubt.

Incidentally, while visiting one of the music chain stores in this country, I made a point of asking the salesperson if there had been any such problems reported with the Roland 'Ivory Feel' key surfaces. She maintained that there had not been any issues.

Ah, by the way, I shall assume you meant December 2008, not 2009, for the initial date of purchase, yes?

James
x

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
grin

B and E keys... B major scale over two octaves in parallel motion is what I practiced at the time I go the new keyboard assembly... otherwise I would have a more evenly distributed key "wear".

And yes Dec 08, sorry...

Last edited by megrenk; 02/18/10 06:22 AM.

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
In many instances store sales people do not know about the issues when customers approach the manufacturer directly... in my case the sales person knew, but moved shortly after to another town; other local sales people may not have known or been aware of this issue.

But hen talking sales: you wanna sell the things and not bag 'em smile

And speaking of brands: I had a Kawai before, that had an issue nobody claimed to know about... got it replaced with the next model were it was claimed the problem is not known ... yet which showed the same 'firmware' related problem.

Maybe it is the customer's fault smile

Being a keyboard player of only 14-15 months; I am unable to make any comparisons to other key tops materials. I bought my RD700gx in Oct.09, and I play about 15-20 hours a week.

Mine is experiencing the same wear as others, and I too, don't think it has anything to do with when the board was manufactured. I think it is the material that is used.

They actually make the claim that the keys will not be slippery due to sweating(or something like that), and it's because it is a pourous material, and therefor is very soft. Herein lies the problem.

I love the instrument, and am extremely happy with it, but what I hate about the potential servicing issue is that the gx is a stage piano, and only comes with a 1 year warranty, as opposed to the home units that are, I think, 3-5 years. Even though I use mine just for studio use, and not for road use(which I understand the shortened warranty due to handling damage), they should still cover this pre-mature key tops wear.

I'm getting a bit aggravated with Roland, as I also bought a Juno-G before buying the gx, and many folks are having LCD failure issues with them.

John

guitar player for 48 years, and started playing the piano 16 months ago.
E
E
Interesting. I've been waiting since Apr 2009 for Roland to send a replacement keyboard for my HP-207, and so far, parts are still on "back order". From what megrenk and others here are saying, my replacement - if it ever comes - may be no better than what I have now. On the other hand, some people claim they've experienced no wear problems at all.

So what's going on? Are there good and bad versions of the "ivory feel" keys out there (if so, why would Roland replace bad ones with other bad ones?), or are they all the same? And what about the new HP-307?

Still have to say, my key-wear is not severe, only a minor annoyance. And Roland still has by far better action and sound than on other digital (or most acoustic upright) pianos I've played, IMHO. So if worse comes to worse, I can easily live with it.

I
I
Maybe it has something to do with a person's body chemistry...or, to put it less delicately, the composition of their sweat.

It may be that some individuals have more of a certain chemical in their perspiration which is reacting with the material in the keys.

Higher end Yamaha pianos use Ivoryite, a sedimentary precipitate of magnesium, calcium and silica. which is slightly harder than ivory. As far as I know, there has been no problems with perspiration.

Roland is apparently making their own ivory substitute; I'm not sure if it is related to Ivoryite, and no doubt it's composition is a trade secret.

Some people can't wear metal backed watches or certain types of jewelry or even leather/synthetic leather straps because their perspiration reacts with the material.

Just another suggestion (more of a guess).

Ian

Yamaha Canada clinician/demonstrator; Portable Keyboard Division
IanMac, yes, that's a very good point.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Cheers,
James
x

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, it is a good question...
I don't sweat at all while playing.
Maybe I am not practicing hard enough smile
I suspected my thumb's fingernails, but they are cut back, too much for my liking and do not hit the keys...
Yet looking at the B major white keys, these are hit by the thumb.
Go figure.

BYW: I always wash my hands prior to playing; they are completely rubbed dry before touching the keys.

I thought a lot about this issue... it doesn't make sense to me.

My current stance: I love the sound of the HP207; will wait for the keys to become worn, and get them replaced before the warranty expires... and put it under "Sh!t happens".

Even though the article/advertisement that I read, mentioned the sweat issue; I don't think that's the trouble. I think it's the fingernails.

I haven't taken HD close up pictures of mine, but it appears as very light scratches that are digging into the material. Mine is also just a minor cosmetic issue now, but with time it's obviously going to get worse. I can see the potential for grooves to form as the material wears away.

I love the feel of the keys; I just wish they could find a way to stop the deterioration. I'm aware that a number of folks feel that the average life of a DP is around 5 years, but I planned on using this thing for a lifetime(I'm 57 now).

I hope Roland will step up in some shape or form, and publicly address the issue.

John

guitar player for 48 years, and started playing the piano 16 months ago.
M
M
My HP-207's keyboard was replaced about two months ago under warranty due to the premature keyboard wear issue... The original keyboard assembly had a PCB that was marked as being made in China. The replacement assembly had a PCB that was marked as being made in Japan.

That being said, the wear issue still seems to be unresolved. I'm noticing a little wear on one of the keys, following the same pattern as the previous keyboard assembly. I'll watch to see if the wear gets worse. If so, Roland is going to have a problem with all their products that use the same kind of simulated ivory finish, including their new HP-307s, etc.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission