Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1374597 - 02/15/10 11:49 AM I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help!
gen6 Offline

Ok guys, so what happened is that there is a very good price for it from a local dealer, however I have to order it and I won't be able to see/touch it?
All I have is youtube and forums.
Has anyone played it? What is the sound and touch like? I have played Yamaha CLP 340 and I like it. What is the sound/touch of the CN 42 compared to CLP 340? I read that a lot of people complain of the sound of the CA series, ca63 etc and this is higher model, so what about CN 42 if CA 63 is not so good?
Any impressions on this model would be highly appreciated! Thank you!!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1374616 - 02/15/10 12:17 PM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gen6]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Regardless of the brand, I would strongly advise against purchasing an digital piano without first playing it 'in the flesh', so to speak.

It's rather unfortunate that your local dealer does not acknowledge this vital aspect of buying an instrument. May I ask if the dealer stocks any other KAWAI digital pianos?

I personally do not believe in this "we've ordered it in, so you've got to buy it" kind of policy - the consumer should never feel pressured into making a purchase that they are not absolutely satisfied with.

If you have played the CLP-340 and find the sound and touch to be agreeable, then - as much as it pains me to say so - I would simply suggest purchasing the Yamaha.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1374750 - 02/15/10 02:22 PM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: Kawai James]
gerardo1000 Offline

I played several times the Kawai CN 42 and I really like it. The Piano sounds (there are at least four, if I remember) are excellent and the touch is awesome. The amplification is also very good (40 + 40 W).
I also compared it to the Yamaha 340 and I personally prefer the Kawai.
I would have bought it but unfortunately its price (Over $ 1700) was out of my budget. I saved $ 400 and bought a Yamafa YDP 223 that I like. But... no comparison with the Kawai !

#1374859 - 02/15/10 04:54 PM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gerardo1000]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I'm with KJ on this.
You'll spend just moments buying, but you'll spend years using.
You have to try before you buy, or else be sorry you may have bought the wrong one.

#1374878 - 02/15/10 05:14 PM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: MacMacMac]
gerardo1000 Offline

gen6, where are you from ?
Here in Michigan you can easily try a Kawai CN42 at one of the six Evola Music stores.

#1375237 - 02/16/10 01:41 AM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gerardo1000]
gen6 Offline

In European City, there's no Kawai here around frown However I've tried the Cn 21 and I liked it, that's why I believe there's no reason that the Cn 42 would be much better and I don't mind risking for this one, however impressions from somebody who owns or tried the Cn 42 are invaluable. The keyboard of Cn 21 is AHA IV-E and on the CN 42 is AHA IV-F, I wonder what's the difference between the E and the F. Also I wonder if the Cn 21's Harmonic Imaging ® Technology II is different from the Harmonic Imaging™ System with 88 key sampling on CN 22 and 32 (not the progressive one), and is the difference big. Does anybody know?

Edited by gen6 (02/16/10 01:45 AM)

#1375252 - 02/16/10 02:18 AM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gen6]
9000 Post Club Member

Hello gen6,

Quote:
The keyboard of Cn 21 is AHA IV-E and on the CN 42 is AHA IV-F, I wonder what's the difference between the E and the F.

There's not a great deal of difference between the two actions, they both share more or less the same design structure and mechanism. However, the 'F' is the most recent revision, and therefore features refinements that are intended to improve the weighting and overall realism of the action.

Essentially, if you like the feel of AHA IV-E, I'm sure you will be equally happy (and possibly even a little bit more so...) with the AHA IV-F action.

Quote:
Also I wonder if the Cn 21's Harmonic Imaging ® Technology II is different from the Harmonic Imaging™ System with 88 key sampling on CN 22 and 32 (not the progressive one), and is the difference big. Does anybody know?

Despite the numbering system, the type of Harmonic Imaging utilised by the CN21 is actually older, and less advanced than the CN22. Aside from the fact that the CN22 features 88-key sampling (please refer to recent discussions in the 'DP BSD' thread for opinions regarding sample 'stretching' etc.), the actual piano samples are completely different from the older sounds used by the CN21. The Progressive Harmonic Imaging system improves things even further.

The CN42 offered a considerable improvement over the previous generation CN41, therefore any comparisons with the CN21 are going to be much greater.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1375262 - 02/16/10 02:31 AM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: Kawai James]
gen6 Offline

Thank you K James!! Very informative!
I guess I'll spend some more time with the CN 21 to really feel the keyboard action and I'll make the decision smile

#1375265 - 02/16/10 02:41 AM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gen6]
9000 Post Club Member

gen6, you're most welcome.

By the way, if you are based in Europe I would recommend visiting http://www.kawai.eu or contacting KAWAI Europe directly - I'm hopeful that my colleagues will be able to put you in touch with your closest dealer.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1375722 - 02/16/10 04:16 PM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gerardo1000]
IramChZ Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
*Post deleted*

Edited by IramChZ (06/29/10 09:04 PM)
Edit Reason: Decided my complaint was unreasonable

#1375951 - 02/16/10 08:29 PM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: IramChZ]
gerardo1000 Offline

Sorry to hear that: the two Evola Music stores around my area both carry the Kawai ES 6 and the Kawai CN 42.

#1376202 - 02/17/10 04:30 AM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gerardo1000]
gen6 Offline

One thing for sure, I tried clp 330,340 and a yamaha digital grand piano for 5k eur, they sounded extremely FAKE and somehow I could recognize the sound was coming from speakers and the key action was FAKE, the Kawai CN 22( I tried that as well) sounded far more real, and the key action was closer to real thing, at least the sound came from everywhere(didn't have the feeling it came from speaker). Strange thing....didn't know Kawai is sooooooooooo much better than Yamaha in many aspects of the DP(at least in this price range).
p.s.
The Kawai was fake as well(though not so fake as Yamaha), I thought a lot and prolly will get an acoustic piano, difference is huge. I don't care of the neighbours! They will adapt! laugh

#1376391 - 02/17/10 10:37 AM Re: I have to decide for the Kw CN 42 without touching it, help! [Re: gen6]
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I don't care of the neighbours! They will adapt!

That's the spirit! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"How It's Made" and Cunningham Piano Co.
by Rich Galassini
09/30/14 09:43 AM
How many different actions do the Kawai digitals have?
by Giancarlo Robles
09/30/14 09:34 AM
Hearing the changes
by paul abrahams
09/30/14 09:07 AM
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Who's Online
134 registered (ajames, accordeur, aesop, AaronH, 38 invisible), 1514 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157882 Topics
2318762 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission