2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 303 of 425 1 2 301 302 303 304 305 424 425
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Curious223, I don't think you'll do any better than Rubinstein for the mazurkas. Sometimes they strike me as a little slow, but they are always well thought-out and profound.

In one of Chopin's letters from Britain, he says that he has learned enough English that he "won't starve or come to grief," or something close to that. In another letter he mentions a conversation with Ada Byron, in which she spoke English and he spoke French; it didn't sound like much actual communication took place, but perhaps he did understand a fair amount of what she was saying, I don't know.

Remember Bill Rodriguez, Fontana's great-great grandson? In his website bio of his ancestor, he mentions that in their teens Julian and Fryderyk took English classes, along with some other kids, from a man of Irish extraction if I remember correctly. Astonishing, isn't it? Never heard that before. Of course it's anyone's guess whether they actually learned much of anything.

The nobles of England and Scotland were at least attempting to speak French, as one would expect. Chopin pokes fun at their pronunciation (pot calling kettle black?), as in "j'aiieeee aiimeeee." Certainly the two Scottish Ladies spoke French well.

I would suppose that being told one plays "like water" is a very good thing, so congratulations to that student.

Did Chopin like himself? Well, I think he was fairly realistic about his abilities, though "modest" is a term often applied to him. But no one could possibly have met his standards, himself especially. Certainly he never made a big deal of himself, didn't display a lot of ego. It may be that his sense of propriety caused him to downplay his opinion of himself further-- that he actually thought better of himself than we see in his letters.

It has often seemed to me that most musicians feel inadequate. There are a few who either have a hugely inflated view of themselves or pretend to have one for promotional purposes, but most every one I've known worries about measuring up. You know, even Beethoven had a deep sense of inadequacy-- and if he could feel that way, anyone could.

Elene

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Curious223
'loveschopintoomuch' posted a youtube video of Horowitz playing one mazurka. I also have a bunch of Chopin's mazurkas played by Rubinstein on my computer....

OK......then you did all right. smile

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, I agree. Rubinstein is the best for not only Chopin's mazurkas but many other works. When attempting to learn a new mazurka, I listen to how he plays it, over and over, until the tempo is engraved in my brain. It certainly helps since the mazurkas are noted for their quirky rhythms. But so many have haunting and even exotic melody lines that can match and even exceed many of Chopin's nocturnes. thumb

Even though you are drawn to the nocturnes (and I can't blame you), treat yourself to a listen to several of the mazurkas; you will be surprised. smile

Chopin certainly must have loved composing them because he wrote so many.

And an additional plus, many are rather short - one or two pages.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Just bumping. Have to have Chopin out there on the first page, where he belongs.

I am looking forward to the Chopin 5 hour marathon on March 1st. Luckily my sister lives nearby and she will attend some of it with me (she's not a really big fan of Chopin but does like some of his works. But not enough to sit through 5 hours). I will then stay at her house overnight and head for home the next day, after the traffic dies down.

Hope everyone is well.

I have been checking and there is STILL NO CHOPIN going on in my immediate area. mad

With two world-class symphony orchestras nearby, this is just unbelievable.

Kathleen

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What marathon is that?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. Their School of Music (piano students) is performing a 5+ hour marathon concert - all Chopin's music. And it's free! At intermission, they're even offerring Polish food for sale. laugh

I wonder if there will be any lard sandwiches on rye. sick

Kathleen

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

I have been checking and there is STILL NO CHOPIN going on in my immediate area. mad

Same here... cry I have even PMed people (PW members) in my area, but nobody has heard of any concert. No Chopin concerts in Sydney and surroundings to celebrate his anniversary??? This sounds like a joke! And depressing too if they really don't care.... mad

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I just came across a quote from the pianist Angela Hewitt which I thought encapsulated Chopin pretty well:

There's no image less helpful than that of the Romantic consumptive, eating himself up at the piano with the rain hammering against the windows. You only need to hear his music to be in touch with his immense inner strength and sense of discipline and craftsmanship.

Yes, I have long thought he had 'that immense inner strength'.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
He had the heart of a lion in that frail little body.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

Same here... cry I have even PMed people (PW members) in my area, but nobody has heard of any concert. No Chopin concerts in Sydney and surroundings to celebrate his anniversary??? This sounds like a joke! And depressing too if they really don't care.... mad

I can't seem to find ANY solo piano performances in Melbourne. Assuming there are some, where am I not looking?

There was, however, this neat thing on in Melbourne a few months ago where one gentleman played all of Bach's organ works in a row, between 8am Sunday and 1am that night! I wasn't able to make it until 11, but it was still pretty amazing. And free - my favorite.

Two shadas at noon.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Seabelle
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

I can't seem to find ANY solo piano performances in Melbourne. Assuming there are some, where am I not looking?

There was, however, this neat thing on in Melbourne a few months ago where one gentleman played all of Bach's organ works in a row, between 8am Sunday and 1am that night! I wasn't able to make it until 11, but it was still pretty amazing. And free - my favorite.

This happened in Sydney too a few years go. ALL Bach organ works, and free (my favourite too smile )! I didn't stay really all day, but quite a few hours... smile

Oh, the ad is still online:
July 28th - 30th, 2000 Great Hall, University of Sydney
Bachathlon - To mark the 250th Anniversary of Bach's death and the 50th Anniversary of the Organ Music Society of Sydney.

The complete Organ Works of J S Bach played by members of the Organ Music Society of Sydney on the three manual and pedal von Beckareth organ.

For full details of the works being performed, please contact Amy Johansen on 02 4758 6067

Free Admission

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I cannot even begin to comprehend how anyone could play all of Bach's organ works in a row-- or even over a period of days, as far as that goes.

Is anyone reading this planning to go to the MTNA conference in late March in Albuquerque? It will be largely devoted to Chopin. Alan Walker will speak, for one thing. It's kind of expensive for non-members, but I think I am going to go to the main day of concentration on playing and teaching Chopin. They have some free concerts in the evenings, too.

Elene

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Only a few days left to the 22nd. I can't wait for the recital in my town. Gotta buy tickets today smile

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by Teodor
Only a few days left to the 22nd. I can't wait for the recital in my town. Gotta buy tickets today smile

And for those with nothing on the 22nd, maybe you'll be luckier on March 1, the currently preferred choice for the birth date (and the one the Chopin family always noted as his birthday).

Jeff Kallberg

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
His magical strains,
A spell doth cast.
A breeze, a breath,
As the kiss of death.

But the kiss of love,
From high above,
Doth make its gains
Beneath the strains.

She stands beneath his
Ethereal gaze,
Her hands a'shaking,
Her heart ablaze.

Her fingers sing
On hammered string,
The cadence thus illume'd,
Doth his mystery consume.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
That is just beautiful, Greg. heart

May I ask who the "she" is?

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
blush

It is you. It is Elene. It is Frycek. Anyone who stands touched, moved not by her (or his) own virtuosity but by the deep haunted mystery within so much of his work, that which cannot be quantified, and which only he seems to have possessed in such measure.

The silly little poem is inspired by the recital submissions I've received to date, which I of course get to listen to first as part of the preparation. smile

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by gerg

The silly little poem is inspired by the recital submissions I've received to date, which I of course get to listen to first as part of the preparation. smile

That's a well-deserved fringe benefit for all of your hard work behind the scenes. Without you, these e-citals wouldn't be possible. heart

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Dear Greg:

You are one in a million (make that two). 3hearts You must know how much we care for you and how much we are indebted to you for all you have done to keep Chopin so alive and well. Our gratitude is boundless.

On another note---sorry for the pun.

I have been struggling along with Chopin's nocturne, 72, #1. And I do mean struggle. Again, that left hand of mine has kept me from serious practice for many months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG2tc-knlUs

But, OMG, I found this performance on youtube, and all my fears and frustrations have melted away. YES! This is the tempo that I KNOW I can achieve. I believe she plays it so beautifully. And I believe I can come fairly close. I was so inspired after listening, that I spent two hours at the keyboard, making great progress. All because I know now that I can play it at a more reasonable (and attainable) speed. Color me happy! laugh

Kathleen

Page 303 of 425 1 2 301 302 303 304 305 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission