2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1376974 02/18/10 01:01 AM
OP Offline
For at least 6 months I won't be able to have lessons as I can't afford them. Since I don't want to stagnate or stop progressins (I'm at grade 5-6 ABRSM level) I thought, without joining the ABRSM, to use their syllabus as a plan to progress technically and to give myself homeworks.

But I'm kind of scared of doing everything alone and the idea of learning pieces for myself without an external feedback is holding me back.

So I'd like to have a distance teacher. Nothing formal, just someone who knows what my progress is supposed to be, who can listen to my recording and give me homeworks and support.

I have a good technical foundation and I'm advanced enough to learn on my own; which is actually what I did since my teacher would provide feedbacks and assign pieces mostly but rarely would explain how to tackle a new technique, that was left to me to do at home in my practice. Also I have already used with success, as confirmed by my ex-teacher, written instruction from the forum to improve my technical execution or theorical understanding of triplets, sextuplets, embellishment and so on.

I can't pay you right now but I promise I will pay for your help as soon as my financial situation improves and it's going to happen soon enough. So I wonder if any kind soul wants to help to progress at the piano and be my non-official distant learning teacher.

Last edited by Motorama; 02/18/10 01:09 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Motorama
I can't pay you right now but I promise I will pay for your help as soon as my financial situation improves and it's going to happen soon enough. So I wonder if any kind soul wants to help to progress at the piano and be my non-official distant learning teacher.
Ouch!

I'm SO against such ideas and notions. It's not your situation exactly, but do you have any idea how many people go around in commercial music gigs (film, media, computer games) going all "no budget now, but you'll get your name on your credits and exposure, etc...", or "Next film we do you'll be in, I promise and there will be a big check for you...", etc...? Of course the next film never happens, and the exposure is the following :"The sucker who did free music." (BTW, I hate to do this, but if your financial situation will change soon, this means a month or two, why not just wait and get proper lessons in that time, while in the mean time you start studying something you know, you cherrish and feel confident?)

As I said it's not your situation, since you're not with a budget (so you don't already own cameras, crew, etc and just underpaying the composer), and you're certainly not out to make money yourself. Just to be clear.

What I would suggest:

Just make videos and start posting them. Not too frequently, and post as much finished a piece as it can be. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people (including me if I can) will help you, provide hints, ideas, advice, etc... Especially Bruce seems to be doing an excellent job with his comments on videos and performances. This method will just mean much more reliance to you, instead of your teacher. You will need to bring each piece to a satisfactory form before videotaping/recording/posting.

At some point I picked up studying again and got worried that I wouldn't be up for the job. So I made a thread, and I got an invitation from a member here to post a video privately, which I did (in early stages of studying). It felt good and weird at the same time, but I just didn't want to take advantage of him at all, so I didn't repost to him. Still I'm gratefull for his advice and help!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Originally Posted by Motorama
Ouch!

I'm SO against such ideas and notions. It's not your situation exactly, but do you have any idea how many people go around in commercial music gigs (film, media, computer games) going all "no budget now, but you'll get your name on your credits and exposure, etc...", or "Next film we do you'll be in, I promise and there will be a big check for you...", etc...? Of course the next film never happens, and the exposure is the following :"The sucker who did free music." (BTW, I hate to do this, but if your financial situation will change soon, this means a month or two, why not just wait and get proper lessons in that time, while in the mean time you start studying something you know, you cherrish and feel confident?)

Well, yes it's about trust.
I mean, if we think about it any person, whatever policy we adopt, can defraud us. I know people who haven' paid the rent for a whole year but the justice system is so slow that they're still living in their apartment. I know people who pretend they have been hit by a car to get insurance money. I think we just have to trust our gut feelings and trust someone, feeling threatened by everyone and never trusting is no way to live. I trust my gut instinct because I can tell from people attitude whether they're being honest or not.

One reason I'm so broke is also because I wanted to be totally honest and pay all my debts, fees and bills. When I say the situation will improve soon I mean at least in 6 months or even a bit more. 6 months up to 9 months is a lot of time without technical progresses or learning new pieces just reharsing old pieces and stalling at the same technical level.

I have helped people, at a lower technical level than myself, online free by transcribing music or making audio examples on how to learn pieces, spending a good amount of time for them.
Now I'm not asking to have a full time teacher, giving me lessons everyday. Otherwise I could have proposed my real-life teacher to still teach me and I will pay her later. But I don't think that's fair.

The kind of help I'm asking is the same I have provided to those people. I need just some email or msn exhange with someone willing to assign pieces to me, listen my recording from time to time (I don't have a camera) and answer few technical questions.
I'm not asking full-time student commitment. And I thought for this kind of service even a delayed payment would do.

Last edited by Motorama; 02/18/10 01:53 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, it's ok, I understand.

I just had to rant a bit (and did mention that you situation is not what I described above). smile

I hope it's ok.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission