Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1377037 - 02/18/10 02:34 AM Portable keyboard?
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Is it possible to find a decent-sounding keyboard that's portable (under 30 pounds)? 76 keys would be enough. Thanks. smile

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1377050 - 02/18/10 03:13 AM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: Elssa]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
I haven't played one recently but a Nord Stage is pretty light ...got a good reputation.

#1377076 - 02/18/10 04:31 AM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: Dr Popper]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Yamaha P85/P95, Korg SP170 and Casio PX130 are all around 24 to 26lb, all 88 key piano action boards.

There's plenty of unweighted/semi weighted 76 key that weigh even less, Yamaha NP30 has an excellent piano voice and OK speakers and weighs next to nothing. The action feels nothing like a piano but is very playable.

Edit: Just looked it up the NP30 weighs about 12lbs!

Edited by BazC (02/18/10 04:35 AM)

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1377539 - 02/18/10 05:49 PM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: BazC]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks so much - will check these out. I will be using the keyboard to play at a senior center, (along with a bass player/singer), so don't need very loud volume/speakers. I guess I could buy an amp, though, if it's not loud enough?

Quote:
Edit: Just looked it up the NP30 weighs about 12lbs!

That sounds like what I'm looking for.. My cat weighs 12 pounds and I can pick her up okay. eek I would like something with vibes and strings, though.

Edited by Elssa (02/18/10 06:01 PM)

#1377572 - 02/18/10 06:42 PM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: Elssa]
Bob M Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I really like my NP 30--light action but very playable--I'm with BazC. But the speakers are pretty lame. I have mine hooked to a 2.1 multi-media sound system, but carrying a separate sound sy. sort of defeats the portability argument.

I am waiting/wanting to check out the new Korg SP 170, in part because better built-in sound is promised with a stronger amp and a "bass reflex" spreaker enclosure. IMHO, this will be a "winner" with those who want portability and better on-board sound in one inexpensive, piano-oriented unit.

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

#1377894 - 02/19/10 05:01 AM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: Bob M]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well the NP30 has 2 Grand Pianos, 2 Electric Pianos, 2 organs, 2 Harpsichords, Strings and Vibraphone. It will also layer two voices but the polyphony is only 32 so you might suffer from some dropped notes when layering.

I doubt whether it's 2 6w amps will compete with a bass player and singer though but I doubt any of the really portable keyboards would without external amplification.

It has no proper line out either, you'd have to connect via the headphone socket which isn't ideal but it'll work. I don't think any of the really light keys have proper line outs though (could be wrong though!) generally to get line outs you need to buy a proper stage piano and these tend to be more expensive and heavier and invariably have no built in speakers.

If you're on a tight budget there's a couple of possibilities I can suggest for amplification that might be powerful enough for very small gigs.

Logitech Z2300 are really computer speakers but a lot of people like them for use with DPs though some say the top end is harsh and the bottom is muddy, others say they sound great. They are loud and they are cheap but they're not built for gigging so I don't know how long they would last on the road!

Roland cm-30 stereo monitor. These are supposed to be cracking little amps, very good sound and quite loud. You could buy one and if you feel the need add a second which would give you more volume and true stereo sound. These are really intended for monitoring not PA but I've heard they're loud enough for small gigs.

After that you're looking at bigger more expensive amps that I don't know too much about, do a search on these forums and you should find lots of info. Most say steer clear of keyboard amps, most don't give a good sound. PAs and big monitors are generally recommended for gigging.

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1378589 - 02/20/10 12:49 AM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: BazC]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the good ideas. smile

Something like this is within my budget.. Any good?:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-PX120-Privia-88-Key-Digital-Stage-Piano/10298461

Someone at Sweetwater suggested this combo, but it's beyond my budget:

1 SP276 76-Key Stage Piano 45
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SP276/

1 KC60 40W 10" 3-Ch Keyboard Amp 37
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KC60/

Again, though, I'd be playing along with a bass player/singer in a fairly small room, so I don't need to be too loud.

#1378601 - 02/20/10 01:15 AM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: Elssa]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Elssa
Thanks for all the good ideas. smile

Something like this is within my budget.. Any good?:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-PX120-Privia-88-Key-Digital-Stage-Piano/10298461

Someone at Sweetwater suggested this combo, but it's beyond my budget:

1 SP276 76-Key Stage Piano 45
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SP276/

1 KC60 40W 10" 3-Ch Keyboard Amp 37
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KC60/

Again, though, I'd be playing along with a bass player/singer in a fairly small room, so I don't need to be too loud.

The PX120 was replaced in late 2009 with the newer PX130. The newer one is better. I was in a Guitar Center today and noticed they had the PX130 marked down about $75. Spend the extra $25 for the 130.

I think people either love or hate Kurtzwel. Not much middel ground. I don't know why. But you asked for portable and piano, not many 76 key semi-weighted DPs so he pointed you to that. I'm a big fan of the guy who the company is named after but he left long ago.

I think it is a universal rule that all keyboard amps are truly horrible. First off you really do need two, one left and one right. Second you'd be better off with a PA amp it studio monitors then a "keyboard amp" Even a low end home stereo system could work. I think the keyboard amps are good it you are playing a bass line or synth sounds. Maybe you and the vocal mic can share a stereo PA system. Patch your piano into a mixer.

#1378658 - 02/20/10 04:54 AM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: ChrisA]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bizarrely they're selling the PX130 for less than the PX120 at that Walmart link!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1378843 - 02/20/10 01:12 PM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: BazC]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Also looking at this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-WK500-76-Key-Personal-Keyboard/10298459

This one would probably be easier to transport, being 76 keys. Not sure if the keys are weighted at all, though.

I do have two Edirol speakers.. So you're all saying these would sound better than any amp? Could they be used with this keyboard?

Thanks again. smile

#1379354 - 02/21/10 02:57 AM Re: Portable keyboard? [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I think I'll look for some type of Korg. I tried an SP500 once in a store, and it was the most beautiful sound, and light as a feather. Can't afford a new one, but maybe Ebay.. I also like Yamahas, but the action is too heavy - I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
EFX on the Kawai MP6
by Lania
09/23/14 07:32 AM
New Single: Wind (Piano Song)
by Darkreach
09/23/14 07:32 AM
Measuring Humidity?
by pianomise
09/23/14 07:29 AM
DH Baldwin - a few technical questions
by Jamie_from_Canada
09/23/14 06:20 AM
I can only Trill well on good grand pianos....
by Paul678
09/22/14 11:48 PM
Who's Online
107 registered (anotherscott, aesop, Al LaPorte, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 30 invisible), 1215 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157704 Topics
2316440 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission