2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BazC Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoteq has several new options including optimisations and settings that will allow good performance on netbooks!

Also very nice new Clavinet add-on

http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq_changes

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the heads up BazC!

Wow, what a terrific update - I'll definitely have to check-out the new Clavinet instrument...does anyone have a good MIDI file of 'Superstition' handy? wink

Great to see optimisations for netbook users too - I wonder how long it will be before we see one of the more computer-oriented manufacturers (such as M-Audio etc.) launch a dedicated Pianoteq controller, complete with built-in netbook hardware?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
BazC Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
Thanks for the heads up BazC!

My pleasure! Note the new auto-wah too available for all instruments including pianos/harpsichords!

Oh and there's a new mute setting too.

Last edited by BazC; 02/18/10 09:48 AM.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for posting this. I need to update my spam settings on email apparently.

Great news about the netbook support. Just downloaded my update and it works!

Now I think I will finally spring for the uber-portable CME MKey 49 key keyboard for my carry-on luggage fitting, hotel room practice and doodling solution.

Nice thing about pianoteq. They keep on improving it for free and providing interesting add-ons for an affordable price. Software does have its advantages over hardware.

BazC Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I agree this is a very nice update, I love the clavs, I never felt like I'd get much use from the EPs though I was sorely tempted to buy anyway (I love that Supertramp Wurly sound!) but the Clavs I could find a use for. Think I might spring for them sometime soon!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Those guys over at Pianoteq really know how to make a product. They seem to actually listen to their customers, and then incorporate the results of their critiques and desires in excellent software. I'm not used to modern companies doing that.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
..I wonder how long it will be before we see one of the more computer-oriented manufacturers (such as M-Audio etc.) launch a dedicated Pianoteq controller, complete with built-in netbook hardware?

If you have $2K you can buy one now. The
Miuse Receptor Will allow you to load in any number of VST instuments

Inside the box it is just some PC hardware running Linux but they've added MIDI interface, audio interface and a nice front panel that moved the interface out to a set of physical controls so no mouse or screen is required.

You would think a "Pianoteq only" controller might be cheaper but the market for that would be to small. Muse built a more general purpose box that can host any VST and maybe they got the price down that way.

For me, I'd rather by a notebook computer but I understand why performers don't want to deal with a computer on stage.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
Those guys over at Pianoteq really know how to make a product. They seem to actually listen to their customers, and then incorporate the results of their critiques and desires in excellent software. I'm not used to modern companies doing that.
You won't believe how much they listen!

Incidently, if there are any request, I'll probably meet with nicklas or the rest of the team later in March, so any questions, requests, etc, I'm very certain they will listen.

Nia scrap that, just post it and I will link the thread (if they are not reading already...)

Still didn't get the update, no time right now. Between work and forums that is (God I'm awfull... ()

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA
..I wonder how long it will be before we see one of the more computer-oriented manufacturers (such as M-Audio etc.) launch a dedicated Pianoteq controller, complete with built-in netbook hardware?

If you have $2K you can buy one now. The
Miuse Receptor Will allow you to load in any number of VST instuments

This is in many ways the best of times and the worst of times.

Between the overpriced and outdated hardware from DP manufacturers, and the ever shifting sands of PC operating systems and hardware, I find myself filled with indecision as to what musical electronics or software I should invest my money in. I don't want to spend loads on old DP technology that I can't record solo with. And I don't want to spend loads on software that probably won't run correctly on my PC in five years (and this isn't even addressing activation, dongles, and other licensing headaches).

I want to buy quality that will endure for a while, but it doesn't seem like there are any good long-term investments out there, and I find that rather paralyzing.

I believe this is why everyone is jumping headfirst on the very latest DPs and treating them as some kind of holy grail, even though they aren't generally doing anything all that revolutionary, and why people get personally very offended when that is pointed out to them. They need what I need and it just isn't out there.

BazC Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Incidently, if there are any request, I'll probably meet with nicklas or the rest of the team later in March, so any questions, requests, etc, I'm very certain they will listen.

My number one request is still a good upright piano, I know they're already working on it but no harm in giving them a nudge! wink

Number two is widening the tonal/timbral qualities of PTQ pianos. I have a Steinway sample that has a really woody percussive quality. You still can't get that kind of sound from Pianoteq

Three is a basic Clavichord, no need for aftertouch for me, just the basic sound of an acoustic clav. In fact a tweak of the new clavinet would be fine, I can almost get there myself but my best effort still sounds a little electronic.

Simple huh? I'm easily pleased!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm not sure that we need a Receptor any more, with PianoTeq's ability to play well on a much less expensive netbook.

ChrisA, yes, I'm familiar with the Raptor, although I've never actually used one myself.

What I was suggesting is that a digital piano manufacturer consider combining the internals of a cheap netbook with a decent weighted key action in a single package. It could run a lightweight Linux distribution and host VST plugins out of the box. I'm a little surprised one of the computer oriented MIDI controller manufacturers such as M-Audio or Studiologic hasn't already partnered with Pianoteq to bring such an instrument to market.

dewster et al, what you do you say? Fancy getting involved in something like this?

Cheers,
James
x

I'm interested, I have almost all of the parts separately (Pianoteq, Mini-itx computer, weighted 88 key controller and coming soon, a touchscreen), but there is definitely something to be said for having them integrated.

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi

Studiologic SL-990xp | Ivory II Grands | Pianoteq | Alicia's Keys
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What I was suggesting is that a digital piano manufacturer consider combining the internals of a cheap netbook with a decent weighted key action in a single package. It could run a lightweight Linux distribution and host VST plugins out of the box. I'm a little surprised one of the computer oriented MIDI controller manufacturers such as M-Audio or Studiologic hasn't already partnered with Pianoteq to bring such an instrument to market.

dewster et al, what you do you say? Fancy getting involved in something like this?

You're right, I don't know why something like this doesn't exist already. Not sure I'd go with an Intel-based platform though. While it's true the hardware is inexpensive, the MIPS / Watts ratio is poor compared to other processors. I'd probably go with an embedded ARM or similar. Linux runs on just about anything. The problem then would be recompilation of the other software.

A year or so ago I emailed Pianoteq and begged them to perhaps partner with a HW or DP manufacturer, but they said they weren't interested. That's what they would say I suppose, regardless (and no offense).

I'd really love a $500 to $800 1/3 or 1/2 rack box with a MIDI IN connector on it and something like Pianoteq, or a 4GB sample or two in there. Deep editing and firmware / sample replacement via USB would be nice too. But the MIDI timing needs to be tightly coupled to the sound generation, otherwise you may as well be using a laptop.

I'd be happy to contribute with any FPGA work, but even a full-blown project might not necessarily need one. The latest embedded processors are amazingly full-featured when it comes to peripheral support, and things like music keyboard scanning can usually be done less expensively with a small processor.

I don't know anything about circuit design but I am a designer (albeit for heavy equipment). For the volumes that we would be talking about, you might be better off using off the shelf components and off the shelf software and focus on integrating them together. It would reduce development costs.

EDIT: Also, an off the shelf hardware / software solution is more flexible and serviceable to the end user.

Last edited by feeble; 02/19/10 06:32 PM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by feeble
I don't know anything about circuit design but I am a designer (albeit for heavy equipment). For the volumes that we would be talking about, you might be better off using off the shelf components and off the shelf software and focus on integrating them together. It would reduce development costs.

There are other reasons not to use commodity PC hardware in a manufactured product. One of the main ones is that it is a very fast-paced industry and supply for particular items can dry up very quickly. You don't want to have to redesign and reintegrate your product every year when the motherboard / processor go out of production. Or pay through the nose for outmoded memory. I've seen this personally and it's not pretty.

I was thinking that it (perhaps it should be defined what "it" is so we can make sure we are on the same page smile ) could be designed around the common mini itx or maybe micro-atx form factors. This would allow upgrades by the user, choice of OS and different levels of computing power.

feedble, I agree that sticking with x86 architecture makes more sense from a software compatibility perspective.

How about a pico-itx board, or even one of these little babies?

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

Cheers,
James
x

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission