Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1377378 - 02/18/10 01:19 PM Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action?
CruelStrings Offline

Hey guys,

first off:
I thoroughly enjoy browsing/reading through so many different threads and posts. Thanks for being so resourceful!

I currently own a Yamaha CLP320, but I want to upgrade
to a more authentic keyboard, which is as close to a grand piano action as it gets. I wish to use it together with Synthogy Ivory.

I looked at various DPs like Doepfer LMK4+, Kawai MP 8 MK1 (impossible to find), Kawai CA 63 / 93.
I even pondered the possibility to buy a cheap
piano and upgrade it with PianoDisc QuietTime GT2 / MagicStar, I am just not sure if this is the only viable
solution.

I crave for the authentic feel of a grand piano, I just don't understand why it is so difficult for the manufacturers?

I am willing to spend between 1000 - 2000 Euro.

Edited by Hakaori (02/18/10 01:20 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1377408 - 02/18/10 02:15 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: CruelStrings]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Hakaori

I crave for the authentic feel of a grand piano, I just don't understand why it is so difficult for the manufacturers?

I am willing to spend between 1000 - 2000 Euro.

I think your budget is unrealistic. A wooden grand piano action with real hammers would cost more than that to build. I'd guess a good fraction of the cost of an acoustic grand is in the keys and action. The Yamaha Avent Grand N3 s built using a real grand key action. But the cost is five times more than your budget.

The other reason I think you don't see the grand's action in DPs is that many keyboard players don't think of a DP as a stand in for an acoustic piano. I think today many people see the DP as an instrument in and of itself and not of an emulation. The new Yamaha CP1 and CP5 are making that clear. Without the need to actually hit strings why can't the action on a DP be better then on an acoustic? As more manufactures begin to think that way there will be a divergence.

Back to your question. Your Yamaha CLP is already very good. But you might try out Roland's top of the line key action. It is very different than what you have and you might like it. If it is better is a matter of opinion. The Roland RD700GX, V-Piano and HP307 all have Roland's "good" keys. Try any one of these out. But I think all of these DPs are over your budget.

But if you find you like Roland's new "SuperNatural" piano sounds you can avoid the need to buy Ivory and the hardware needed to use it.

#1377446 - 02/18/10 03:15 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: CruelStrings]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
If you're on a budget I would really throw in the KAWAI CA-63 series. The keyboard action is really amazing, for my taste it's better than the Roland, but that's of course personal taste. Just try it out, and if you dislike the sound then get a decent piano sample library.

#1377448 - 02/18/10 03:23 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: mucci]
feeble Offline

Loc: South Dakota
This topic should almost be a sticky, it gets asked often enough.

Studiologic SL-990xp | Ivory II Grands | Pianoteq | Alicia's Keys

#1377469 - 02/18/10 04:05 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: mucci]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kawaian
If you're on a budget I would really throw in the KAWAI CA-63 series. The keyboard action is really amazing,

I'd agree. But the OP says he has already tried the CA63 and he didn't like it. He wants something better for under 2000 Euro.

#1377509 - 02/18/10 05:02 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: ChrisA]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Originally Posted By: kawaian
If you're on a budget I would really throw in the KAWAI CA-63 series. The keyboard action is really amazing,

I'd agree. But the OP says he has already tried the CA63 and he didn't like it. He wants something better for under 2000 Euro.

Well, if "looked at" means he has tried them and found them not acceptable then you're right, maybe I misunderstood this as just "considering".

Edited by kawaian (02/18/10 05:02 PM)

#1377548 - 02/18/10 06:02 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: mucci]
CruelStrings Offline

Sorry, if I was not entirely clear. I have tried the CA63/93 and found them better than my current keyboard.
The increase in quality is not worth 1000 Euro worth though. I just was not sure whether this is the best there is in this price range?

#1377556 - 02/18/10 06:14 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: CruelStrings]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hakaori
Sorry, if I was not entirely clear. I have tried the CA63/93 and found them better than my current keyboard.
The increase in quality is not worth 1000 Euro worth though. I just was not sure whether this is the best there is in this price range?

It seems with digital pianos to be the rule that each increment in quality doubles the price of the instrument. Seriously. The Casio px130 is about $500 and the "next level" is about $1K and very soon we are at the level of a CA61 or HP307 or the v-piano and finally what you are really asking for is the $20K Yamaha N3. The price vs. performance curve is very non-linear.

But it's that way with everything. Even bicycles a decent one is $500 and a slightly better one is $1K and so on. This is likey because at each step the market shrinks and the product is made is smaller numbers until at the upper levers the bikes (or pianos) are hand built one at a time.

#1377566 - 02/18/10 06:29 PM Re: Which DP has the most authentic grand piano action? [Re: mucci]
sieg66 Offline

Loc: paris
Old kawai awa pro I keyboard used in ca 5 7 9 serie was really near the real thing. Did you try it kawaian ? Would you say that new kawai keyboard is even better ?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, anotherscott, aesop, barbaram, 28 invisible), 1429 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295107 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission