2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A sad, sad thread. People at PW are relatively educated, yet there is so much prejudice and ignorance.

And HELLOOO, there have been a number of female composers in history whose names we still know today-- i.e., they are famous. Some, but not all, have been mentioned here.

"Actually, it's my mom who first told me that guys perform better even in the domains that are traditionally considered female activities, and I totally agree with her."

I'd love to know your mom's qualifications and her evidence for making this statement. You haven't presented any. However, I won't be returning to this thread to read any more-- it's far too depressing.

Elene
(I'm not a composer, but my DAUGHTER is.)

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by cast12

I'm not denying that social factors prevented many women from composing during the peak of classical music. I'm just pointing out that even if women had been able to compose more easily during the 1700's and 1800's, we still wouldn't have a female Chopin or Brahms, let alone Bach or Beethoven

What you are "just pointing out" is something about yourself, I'm afraid, and nothing at all about whether we would have "great" women composers had all external factors been equal with to those affecting men.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pno

Actually, it's my mom who first told me that guys perform better even in the domains that are traditionally considered female activities, and I totally agree with her.

So you mom's poor self esteem is a source of your problem with perspective. I'm starting to get the picture...

Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

Let's start with female activities that men are better (note: the comparison is between the highest performance,not the average performance)

1. Cutting hair
2. Cooking
3. Making pastries
4. Making dress
5. Making bread
6. Flower arragement
7. home decoration
8. etc etc

Now, male activities

1. all activities, I cannot think any activities that majority women are better.

The only activities that men are not good is doing house chores....Men are totally not talented when come to cleaning house, feeding kids, doing laundries, washing dishes, vacuming, remembering birthday, etc. Women are by far much more talented in these activities. In order for men to perform at woman level, they must practice hard. Women do these activities very naturally.

I would love to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you wrote this tongue in cheek... but I fear you truly believe in this outrageous, dated load of ****.

And you wonder why more women have not risen to the top in various spheres... not only do woman have to have the talent, determination and persistence to achieve... we have to battle beliefs and attitudes such as this.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by LimeFriday
there have been numerous studies showing that there are twice as many men falling on the 'extremes' as women. Here's an example of one study conducted by numerous doctors at top universities

If you also read the scientific studies on IQ tests you'll find plenty of evidence to show that these are flawed and do not accurately represent intelligence, genius or otherwise.

Most intelligence tests and studies were written and designed by men - originally to test men. Bias and skewed results abound!

Not only all that, but what they really measure is the ability to take tests. There is not even real agreement as to what "intelligence" even is, much less a method of testing it.

And no, I am not saying that because I tested poorly and want to make excuses for it. But it is blindingly obvious to me that doing well on IQ and aptitude tests is not a measure of anything worth calling intelligence.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by cardguy
These are dangerous waters, and I consider myself a feminist, but I don't I like the politically correct tenor of the discussion. There does actually seem to be a scarcity of women composers, even if you factor in all the societal stuff. The operative word is "seem" as obviously I can't prove it.

But would it be so horrible if it turned out there was something in the male brain that makes it more likely they'll be better at composing music? I can't cite them, but I do believe reading that there are studies indicating men are better at mechanical thinking, including spacial relations than women. I'm also almost certain there are studies that support the idea there are differences in the way men and women process language.

My point is, there are difference between the male and female brain. This isn't bad, or sexist in and of itself. it simply is.

So go ahead all you p.c.'ers. Savage me if you must. I can take it :>)

Since you more or less announced that anyone who might disagree with you is merely being politically correct, what's the point?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Seabelle

As far as female composers are concerned, I'm not sure I find that IQ argument very convincing. Marilyn vos Savant probably has a far higher IQ (by 21st Century standards) that say... Bach, who would have been educated to a very modest standard by both our standards and contemporary standards of those living in more affluent areas such as The Dutch Republic.

There is very little evidence that, taken as a group, famous male composers had especially high IQs. In fact, some seemed to have problems with being rational at all!! Plenty of them didn't seem make their way in the world very effectively, and more or less stumbled through life in not particularly intelligent ways.

And on the math issue, I've read that Beethoven was quite poor at it (which possibly accounts for some weird metronome indications). He never even learned how to multiply, and if, for example, he wanted to know what 8 X 4 was, he would arrive at the answer by a series of additions, like this: "Eight and eight are sixteen; sixteen and eight are twenty-four; and twenty-four and eight is thirty-two".

Last edited by wr; 02/19/10 05:01 AM.
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...And you wonder why more women have not risen to the top in various spheres... not only do woman have to have the talent, determination and persistence to achieve... we have to battle beliefs and attitudes such as this.

I think the feminist movement has spent way too much time and effort "battling beliefs and attitudes". Don't you think if those activists spent their time composing, they would have gotten better results?

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You know...

There was a discussion on talent. I mentioned I don't REALLY believe in it, in the sense of a gift from parents, or God, prior to birth. There is a thread about that in the teachers forum.

So, if talent is not exactly there, and is overated (there's a couple of books about that), then why should genre be any different? We are all born with equal abilities, but unfortunately unequal opportunities still, and are altered in the process of our lives.

This thread is a solid indication that social reasons are STILL keeping women out of certain job aspects! If you consider the beliefs of certain members here... Yes, Elene, it's sad but also brings out the truth in the most unimpressive way: It's us (humans) that make things happen and noone else!

(By all means, I'm not supporting that male and female are absolutely the same. We have differences, but I find no reason to choose between a male and a female...)

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

You're missing the point: at the highest levels of talent and achievement for almost any activity, there are far more men than women.

If measuring talent and achievement in making posts reflecting less than average intelligence in PW threads regarding women composers, I would have to agree: the men are winning, hands down. Well done, guys.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I'm just pointing out that even if women had been able to compose more easily during the 1700's and 1800's, we still wouldn't have a female Chopin or Brahms, let alone Bach or Beethoven

Why not?

Last edited by stores; 02/19/10 05:26 AM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

The OP asked why there has not been a famous female composer. The reason is that female just are unable to attain that level.

Why aren't they?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pno
...And you wonder why more women have not risen to the top in various spheres... not only do woman have to have the talent, determination and persistence to achieve... we have to battle beliefs and attitudes such as this.

I think the feminist movement has spent way too much time and effort "battling beliefs and attitudes". Don't you think if those activists spent their time composing, they would have gotten better results?

Judging from this thread, they have quite a lot of time yet to spend on the battle.

But there are plenty of women composers today who aren't directly part of that battle, and as a matter of fact, yes, they are often getting quite good results, and performances. But of course, that gets to a whole other problem today, which is that so many music lovers aren't interested in new music, regardless of the composer's genital status.

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by pno

Actually, it's my mom who first told me that guys perform better even in the domains that are traditionally considered female activities, and I totally agree with her.

So you mom's poor self esteem is a source of your problem with perspective. I'm starting to get the picture...

wr, news to you: you cannot change people's perspective by having a big ego. Having a big ego does not make you great. You are great because you demonstrate you can do it, not because you have a big ego. Does it make sense?

There is NO reason to believe that female are dumber than men. But they usually choose to have a different focus, be it on family, or children.

There is NO reason to believe that women cannot be great composers, (or pianists, chefs, tailors, filmmakers, conductors, philosophers, scientists, etc). But they need to do it first.

Until that time, the fact remains that there are many more great male composers than female ones.

Get the picture?

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by pno

Judging from this thread, they have quite a lot of time yet to spend on the battle.

But there are plenty of women composers today who aren't directly part of that battle, and as a matter of fact, yes, they are often getting quite good results, and performances. But of course, that gets to a whole other problem today, which is that so many music lovers aren't interested in new music, regardless of the composer's genital status.

Kudos to these women composers. We need more of them! They are the ones who genuinely help changing the "prejudice".

Less feminist activists, more female composers. Prove it by doing it.

Last edited by pno; 02/19/10 05:50 AM.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

That's an interesting list, but not complete. For example, it doesn't include a couple of notable women composers who have had major operas premiered in the last few years: Unsuk Chin and Olga Neuwirth.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pno
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by pno

wr, news to you: you cannot change people's perspective by having a big ego. Having a big ego does not make you great. You are great because you demonstrate you can do it, not because you have a big ego. Does it make sense?

As a reply to what was posted, no, it doesn't make sense.

There is NO reason to believe that female are dumber than men. But they usually choose to have a different focus, be it on family, or children.

There is NO reason to believe that women cannot be great composers, (or pianists, chefs, tailors, filmmakers, conductors, philosophers, scientists, etc). But they need to do it first.

Until that time, the fact remains that there are many more great male composers than female ones.

Get the picture?

Get what picture? Doing it first requires an environment in which that would be possible, and historically, there's a lot of evidence it wasn't possible. The thread is about why it didn't happen, and not so much the current or future situation in which conditions might (or for other reasons, might not) be more favorable. That quote from Fanny Mendelssohn's dad should be enough to convince anyone. And word was, Fanny was actually even more talented a composer than brother Felix, before she was squelched.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Nothing needs to be proven - this is a thread asking "WHY?" - pretty much everyone agrees it's been a bloke's game in the European western art music tradition.... (and probably quite a few other traditions also, but certainly not all of them)......

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission