Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1376309 - 02/17/10 09:10 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
Music Major Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Originally Posted By: Cashley
With respect to the low volume output of software instrument via Garageband, does anyone think that I should download ASIO driver for my Mac built-in soundcard ?

You might want to try adjusting "Keyboard Sensitivity" on the "Midi" tab in Garagebands preferences. You can increase it there, which may give you higher volume default output.

Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1376328 - 02/17/10 09:34 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
LaRate Offline

Loc: Germany

I'm going to try Pianoteq free software later. How do I integrate Pianoteq with Garageband ? Do I need to download some VST host ?

I don't think so c.f. this thread on the pianoteq forum for details - I don't know if it works with the demo though. However, pianoteq also works as standalone program while playing.

#1376437 - 02/17/10 11:33 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Music Major]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

You may be right. It's at neutral level now. I will try it out when I connect my DP again.

#1376458 - 02/17/10 12:03 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California

I'm going to try Pianoteq free software later. How do I integrate Pianoteq with Garageband ? Do I need to download some VST host ?

Garageband is a VST host. However the correct term for "VST" is "AU" or "Audio Unit" if you are working in Mac OS X. Pianoteq can be run as an AU.

#1376573 - 02/17/10 03:13 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

Garageband is a VST host. However the correct term for "VST" is "AU" or "Audio Unit" if you are working in Mac OS X. Pianoteq can be run as an AU.

Do you think I should download ASIO driver to boost my existing soundcard inside my iMac ?

#1376615 - 02/17/10 04:17 PM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California

Do you think I should download ASIO driver to boost my existing soundcard inside my iMac ?

ASIO driver will not work on a Mac.

The purpose of the ASIO driver in a Windows PC is to reduce latency, you are not complaining of that problem

Your problem does not seem to be audio output as you say you like the way MP3 files sound when played from iTubes.

Have you tried playing music with garage band withou the Yamaha DP? Just click the mouns ooooooooon the on-screen keyboard How is the sound. Try setting key velocity through a range of pp to ff. Try setting all three volume controls up to maximum. When this works then plug in the DP.

#1377032 - 02/18/10 02:04 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

ASIO driver will not work on a Mac.

The purpose of the ASIO driver in a Windows PC is to reduce latency, you are not complaining of that problem

Your problem does not seem to be audio output as you say you like the way MP3 files sound when played from iTubes.

Have you tried playing music with garage band withou the Yamaha DP? Just click the mouns ooooooooon the on-screen keyboard How is the sound. Try setting key velocity through a range of pp to ff. Try setting all three volume controls up to maximum. When this works then plug in the DP.

Thanks for that bit on ASIO. If you don't mind me asking, is setting the 'key velocity' same as 'key sensitivity' which I can adjust from the preferences section ?

It seems that I can only adjust key velocity when there are already recorded notes in place. Otherwise, when I open a blank page, I couldn't get into the mode where I can see the note velocity slider. Wait a minute, is key velocity same as note velocity ?

BTW, I did also mention. Yes, with the onscreen keyboard, the sound was good. With DP, the sound is decimated and reduced by at least 70%.

Edited by Cashley (02/18/10 02:21 AM)

#1377107 - 02/18/10 05:49 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow...I'm back with my 20-minute trial version of Pianoteq. I've a feeling that I'm going to get hooked to software piano soon, especially the physical modelling type.

I turned on my Garageband before loading launching Pianoteq. I wonder if the sequence played a part in my not getting Garageband to talk with Pianoteq. I couldn't find any traces of Pianoteq inside Garageband, but when I striked the keys on my DP, I could hear 2 notes which are not in unison. As a result, I had to exit Garageband and listen solely to Pianoteq. Without Garageband, the tone production from Pianoteq was so much better.

I think I need to get a new headphone. Any special items that I have to look out ? Is there a difference between headphone built for MP3 and another built for software piano ?

#1377115 - 02/18/10 06:13 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks for that bit on ASIO. If you don't mind me asking, is setting the 'key velocity' same as 'key sensitivity' which I can adjust from the preferences section ?

Kind of, Key velocity adjusts the recorded sound, key sensitivity adjusts the signal when recording. Sounds like you need to adjust the Keyboard Sensitivity in Garageband prefs, maybe you need to be playing a bit more forcefully on the keyboard too?

Glad you're enjoying Pianoteq! You actually have two versions of Pianoteq installed one is the standalone that you were running the other is an Audio Unit Module that you can access through Garageband. Sounds like you were running the standalone and Garageband. I mostly use the standalone (Garageband not running) you can still make recordings though with fewer options than Garageband offers.

If you do want to run it through Garageband you need to access the AU and it's quite well hidden! You'll find it somewhere in the edit section of the software instruments but it's location varies depending on the version of Garagband you're using. I'm running 5.1 (iLife'09) on my version I select a software instrument, say Grand piano in the browse panel then switch to the edit panel. At the top of that panel it says sound generator and next to that Piano and Manual. Click on Piano and you get a drop down of all the sound generators available, at the bottom of that list are the AU modules you have installed and that is where you will find Pianoteq 3. Click on it and Garageband will use Pianoteq to generate the sound instead of the sample library it would normally use.

Then you can use "Save Instrument" which will create a new instrument in the Browse panel that you can access more easily in future. You can still access the Pianoteq interface through the edit panel in Garageband.

Hope that all makes sense!

Edited by BazC (02/18/10 06:20 AM)

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1377246 - 02/18/10 10:20 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: BazC]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, BazC.

I'm still on GarageBand '08, so many of the interface you mention I'm absolutely clueless.

Someone in the Pianoteq forum wrote:

- In GarageBand, create a new Software Instrument track. Select the new track and press the 'Information' button (or CMD+I).

- On the righthand panel, access 'Details'. There's a dropdown menu there called Generator. You should find PianoTeq somewhere at the end of the list.

And Yes, I found it ! Bingo....

Edited by Cashley (02/18/10 10:44 AM)

#1377263 - 02/18/10 10:52 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

No it should show up whether you have a keyboard connected or not.

Your UI sounds similar to my old Garageband which was '06 in which case click on "Details" at the bottom of the track info panel then on "Generator" in the section that opens up.

Doh! I see you figured it out while I was posting! smile Enjoy!

Edited by BazC (02/18/10 10:53 AM)

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1377807 - 02/19/10 01:46 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: BazC]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, BazC.

It's too troublesome to move my iMac around because my DP is not portable. So I may have to get a MacBOOK soon, and it should then come with the new GarageBand yippie

I'm able to understand most of the technical aspects in acoustic pianos, so going through the physical modelling type of software like Pianoteq is quite interesting.

I wonder how players grew up in DP environment are able to adapt to acoustic pianos. First and foremost, acoustic pianos are hardly in tune most of the time. Even stuff as simple as unison will go out of tune hours after it has been tuned, not to mention the octaves in the treble section.

#1377878 - 02/19/10 04:21 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes a Macbook would be ideal, I'd love one, my Mac Pro isn't exactly portable either! wink Pity Apple laptops are so expensive!

Actually if they could squeeze a bit more power out of the new iPad and release Garageband and Pianoteq for that how cool would that be!? Hopefully more affordable than a Macbook too.

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1377934 - 02/19/10 07:14 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: BazC]
Music Major Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
++++1

...for Garageband or Logic (or most any top end music interface) on the new iPad!!!

The App store will have Music Programs that will be usable. Those programs alone will probably be my deciding factor as to if I will/won't buy an iPad

Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.

#1377946 - 02/19/10 07:52 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: BazC]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BazC
Yes a Macbook would be ideal, I'd love one, my Mac Pro isn't exactly portable either! wink Pity Apple laptops are so expensi

I'm not sure if Macbook would indeed be ideal. The specs are a bit on the low side, with the processor running at 2.2 GHz.

I remember ChrisA asked me to look out for a computer with a 'line out', and not just a headphone jack. I couldn't find any in Macbook, and most computers in fact.

#1377950 - 02/19/10 07:59 AM Re: Help with connecting Yamaha CLP 240 to iMac [Re: Cashley]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well it depends what you want to do with it but for running Pianoteq a Macbook is plenty, as of the latest release it'll run well on a netbook!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
Today at 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
Today at 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Who's Online
73 registered (AEMontoya, aesop, AZNpiano, Badinage, 15 invisible), 763 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314205 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission