2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hildegard von Bingen. Would she have been able to compose or even get the education if she had not been a nun?

It should also be noted that creating an artistic work, or performing brilliantly is one thing. Getting that artistic work shown or read or published, and then out to the public - ditto for performance - is another. There is a business end of it, and willing partners who will help make it happen. That's where society comes in. And that may include access to education and training.

Last edited by keystring; 02/19/10 06:39 AM. Reason: added par.
G
G
I wonder why are there more men Pope than women. Maybe men are better than women at religious stuff...

I find that, if not correctly position, a question can lead to any kind of silly conclusions, delusions, discussions etc... Even if the original question could make sense under a certain light.

And I am happy to see that there are at least a few answers that really make sense and try to build/explain something, keep up the good work.

Yamaha CLP 320

"The maze was so small that you got lost looking for it." by Terry Pratchett.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

they are not famous frown

And that's a different problem, isn't it?

There are many excellent female composers who have written a great deal in the last hundred years, yet their works remain relatively unknown. In the last few years, I've performed music by Dring, Decruck, van Appledorn and Zaimont, and I regularly use music by Telfer, Rahbee, and Louie in my teaching.

One thing I've noticed is that it often takes some leadership and strong teachers to get things moving. The RCM syllabus in Canada has been very proactive about promoting the music of Canadian composers, and it's really helped bring the music of Canadian women to light.

I wish teachers here in the states were a little more proactive about modern music. A lot of teachers still think Bartok is modern and Muczynski is cutting edge.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let's not discuss something in the past (different conditions). Let's talk something far more smaller scale such as song writing, arranging, conducting, etc. For the last 50 years, it seems that men have dominated the top positions, such as John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Marvin Hamlsich, etc, etc.

Have there been a big name female arrangers, conductors, song writers, etc, etc. I cannot think one.

Don't women have the same freedom to sit and write a 2 ot 3 min songs? Women have exactly the same opportunities. But they still do not produce music at the same level as men. What is missing in this equition?

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 02/19/10 12:01 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Don't women have the same freedom to sit and write a 2 ot 3 min songs? Women have exactly the same opportunities. But they still do not produce music at the same level as men. What is missing in this equition?
No, on both bolds, sadly. And I said earlier this thread is a proof of that!

BTW:

Lady Gaga,
St. Vincent
Badi Assad

to name a few successful creators in the pop industry.

Have there been a big name female arrangers, conductors, song writers, etc, etc. I cannot think one.

As for singer-songwriters:

Dolly Parton
Joan Baez
Petula Clark
Joni Mitchell
Loretta Lynn
Madonna

And many of the women associated with Lilith Fair.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
No, on both bolds, sadly. And I said earlier this thread is a proof of that!

BTW:

Lady Gaga,
St. Vincent
Badi Assad

to name a few successful creators in the pop industry.

Could you please elaborate what prevents women from having freedom to write pop songs. It is not like a 40 min complex music. It is only melody and chords.

What kinds of things that prevent women from having the same opportunty as men? Women can promote her work or performance abilty via Youtube. For example Valentina Litsissa. She promoted herself via Youtube.

These days, women can become a CEO, so I do not believe women do not have the same opportunity, especially writing songs. If the songs are good, people will listen and buy, regardless the artist female or male.

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 02/19/10 12:44 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler

Dolly Parton
Joan Baez
Petula Clark
Joni Mitchell
Loretta Lynn
Madonna

That Island in the Stream song was not written by Dolly Parton. It was by Bee Gees.

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 02/19/10 12:55 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Could you please elaborate what prevents women from having freedom to write pop songs. It is not like a 40 min complex music. It is only melody and chords.
The mentality of various people (including members in here and in this thread), perhaps?

And to think that me and Kreisler both provided names of VERY successful female creators! Are you sure you got that?

What kinds of things that prevent women from having the same opportunty as men? Women can promote her work or performance abilty via Youtube. For example Valentina Litsissa. She promoted herself via Youtube.
Social reasons and the mentality of various people (including members in here and in this thread), perhaps?

These days, women can become a CEO, so I do not believe women do not have the same opportunity, especially writing songs. If the songs are good, people will listen and buy, regardless the artist female or male.
Considering that you actually believe that women cannot be successful as composers, what else is left to say? You simply cannot accept this as a possibility, right?

I mean what is it that you don't get? You don't accept the fact that women can be as good as men in composing. This alone creates the problem: Your reception of what women can do is heavily biased!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let's not discuss something in the past (different conditions).

What were the different conditions? It was only posted so you could make fun of another poster for his profession?
I just want to clarify your argument:
1) In this thread you said that as a general rule, composers aren't real musicians because they only started doing so as a result of lack of talent at performing.
2) Here, you're saying that female performers (such as Valentina Lisitsa) are able to freely market themselves so find just as much success as men. Yet you fault them for not doing the same with composition.

I can only conclude from your two statements that there are fewer famous female composers because fewer failed at making it as performers than men. Or did you have a different train of thought? Please enlighten us. If you're only saying these things to be deliberately argumentative and belittle others, then maybe it's time we started to ignore your posts so that the discussion can be more constructive.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
If RS wants to know why more women didn't compose he only needs to look at recent history. The lastest wave of the Women's Liberation Movement is only 50 years old. It is still in its infancy, as evidenced by the reactionary, chauvinistic comments in this thread. Women in western culture are still fighting for equal opportunities. Sadly, there are still many cultures where women are completely oppressed.

Ronald, you want to hear what kinds of things prevent women from succeeding?? Here are some of my experiences: In my 20's I was denied access to adacemic scholarships in a male dominated field because I was female. I remember being told by the high school guidance counselor: "You don't want to take physics. There are only boys in that class and you wouldn't be comfortable there." I remember being told I had to sweetly provide coffee for my boss' visitors even though this was way out of the purview of my job and my desk was completely on the other side of the building. There were men much closer. I remember asking why I was assigned to demonstrate something at an electronics convention in another city when I did not have the skills. I was told point blank that it was because I had big breasts. This was not that long ago.

Women have been and still are being denied opportunities and education. Saying there are fewer famous women composers because they lack potential is small minded and ignores the fact that women were denied education and opportunities. It will take time for women to take their rightful place beside men in all fields. There are fewer famous composers because society denied them the ability to step forward. (I suspect many men deny women's potential out of fear they will be surpassed. Women are not looking for dominance. We just want equality.)

Best regards,

Deborah
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Whoosh!

WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!!!!

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kreisler

Dolly Parton
Joan Baez
Petula Clark
Joni Mitchell
Loretta Lynn
Madonna

That Island in the Stream song was not written by Dolly Parton. It was by Bee Gees.

And most of Petula's big hits were written by Tony Hatch.

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
If RS wants to know why more women didn't compose he only needs to look at recent history. The lastest wave of the Women's Liberation Movement is only 50 years old. It is still in its infancy, as evidenced by the reactionary, chauvinistic comments in this thread. Women in western culture are still fighting for equal opportunities. Sadly, there are still many cultures where women are completely oppressed.

Ronald, you want to hear what kinds of things prevent women from succeeding?? Here are some of my experiences: In my 20's I was denied access to adacemic scholarships in a male dominated field because I was female. I remember being told by the high school guidance counselor: "You don't want to take physics. There are only boys in that class and you wouldn't be comfortable there." I remember being told I had to sweetly provide coffee for my boss' visitors even though this was way out of the perview of my job and my desk was completely on the other side of the building. There were men much closer. I remember asking why I was assigned to demonstrate something at an electronic convention when I did not have the skills. I was told point blank that it was because I had big breasts. This was not that long ago.

Women have been and still are being denied opportunities and education. Saying there are fewer famous women composers because they lack potential is small minded and ignores the fact that women were denied education and opportunities. It will take time for women to take their rightful place beside men in all fields. There are fewer famous composers because society denied them the ability to step forward. (I suspect many men deny women's potential out of fear they will be surpassed. Women on not looking for dominance. We just want equality.)

I agree with what you say about education, work etc.
However, it is just writing music. The products will speak by itself, there are place to advertize. In the corporate world the situations are different. The majority needs to like you as a person in order for them to hire you.

Music is different, if you perform well, you will win the competition. I do not see the analogy between academia, corporate world and writing music or playing music. Again the products speak.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A corporate atmosphere is representative of the atmosphere in all of society. You can pretend that the musical world stands outside of prejudice but it doesn't. You can't advertize if you husband holds the purse strings or refuses to let you publish. If you were not married society assumed there was something wrong with you. If you were a performer, it was assumed you were a prostitute. Imagine having the talent but being forced to damage your reputation or hide behind your husband's trousers (or change your name to a male one.)

As you say, "let the products speak": One of the reasons women are now taking their rightful places in world class orchestras is because auditions are conducted behind a screen!

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

The OP asked why there has not been a famous female composer. The reason is that female just are unable to attain that level.

Why aren't they?

I guess I'll ask again. Please tell me WHY Ron.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by cast12

I'm just pointing out that even if women had been able to compose more easily during the 1700's and 1800's, we still wouldn't have a female Chopin or Brahms, let alone Bach or Beethoven

Why not?

Asking once again...please tell me WHY.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
A corporate atmosphere is representative of the atmosphere in all of society. You can pretend that the musical world stands outside of prejudice but it doesn't. You can't advertize if you husband holds the purse strings or refuses to let you publish. If you were not married society assumed there was something wrong with you. If you were a performer, it was assumed you were a prostitute. Imagine having the talent but being forced to damage your reputation or hide behind your husband's trousers (or change your name to a male one.)

As you say, "let the products speak": One of the reasons women are now taking their rightful places in world class orchestras is because auditions are conducted behind a screen!

There are many things in our life that functions very similar to corp life. My sister is a professor at a medical school in Southern Calif, she told me that it is very difficult for a white female to become a faculty there, but it is easier for Asian female. The reasons is that white females are hard to control them. It is better to have Asian female faculties (easy to be controlled). The hardest is for Asian male to be faculty member of this medical school.

I agree with audition. The physical look and charisma of the artist are one of the major consideration. If they (the men) do not like you, how great your performance, you will not be hired.

Composing is totally different. Society does not pay attention to the composers, as long as the music sounds good, they buy. I do not know who Michael Buble was, I heard his music first and like it. I careless whether the composer male or female. I am not convinced about your argument stating that women have many restrictions in music composing industry.

Again product speaks louder than the creator.

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 02/19/10 02:34 PM.
D
D
Let's not discuss something in the past (different conditions). Let's talk something far more smaller scale such as song writing, arranging, conducting, etc. For the last 50 years, it seems that men have dominated the top positions, such as John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Marvin Hamlsich, etc, etc.

Diane Warren is probably the most successful songwriter in the world alive right now, with over 80 Top 10 hits, and a career that very few men in history have ever even come close to matching.

Anyway, I hope you realize that with every post, you're providing the women's rights movement with evidence that men have absolutely no intelligence at all.

Thinking about it a little more, I would add Linda Perry to the list of songwriters with numerous smash hits in the last 10 years, and above and beyond even these, I'd add Carole Kaye, who composed and performed the bass lines on just about every single hit of the '60's and '70's.

Last edited by daro; 02/19/10 02:49 PM.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission