Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1378217 - 02/19/10 02:08 PM Slave to the tyranny of classical music
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
I believe only in playing music written by dead people (OK, they were alive when they wrote it, but now they're dead) and so I started this thread so that we can discuss these issues.

I realise that many here will feel threatened by my opinions. They are entitled to think what they want. But I think the highest art known is to reproduce the exact sound intended by the composer. There should be no room for interpretation, deviation, and most definitely, no improvising.

This is the sole purpose of playing piano.

So many of those so-called music lovers who frequent the internet in search of freedom of expression come across schemes by which they actually create sounds with varying degrees of success. Such endeavour is completely worthless.

No - slavery is the only way to go! smile

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention creativity. There must be no creativity. The time for that has passed.

Edited by ten left thumbs (02/19/10 02:24 PM)

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1378254 - 02/19/10 03:03 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
I believe only in playing music written by dead people (OK, they were alive when they wrote it, but now they're dead) and so I started this thread so that we can discuss these issues.

Does it matter how they died? If we like the music of someone living do we really have to wait until they die of natural causes?

I realise that many here will feel threatened by my opinions. They are entitled to think what they want.

Or amused. Or threatened in an amusing way. Or encouraged to reduce the population of composers.

But I think the highest art known is to reproduce the exact sound intended by the composer.

Does this mean we all have to buy a harpsicord to play Bach and Handel?

There should be no room for interpretation, deviation, and most definitely, no improvising.

I thought all those old dead guys did just that, especially with their own music, and what we play of theirs today may or may not be exactly what they composed. Your confusion is confusing me.

This is the sole purpose of playing piano.

I thought the whole purpose was to impress hot babes and get free drinks.

So many of those so-called music lovers who frequent the internet in search of freedom of expression come across schemes by which they actually create sounds with varying degrees of success. Such endeavour is completely worthless.

Funny, but in a lot of cases this is strangely true, and as P.T.Barnum said "There's a gullible piano player born every day", or something like that.

No - slavery is the only way to go! smile

That's precisely what Jefferson Davis said, and we all know how that worked out...

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention creativity. There must be no creativity. The time for that has passed.

True, and I think it passed when Beethoven died, which was that awesome time we've heard about in song and story, the one about "the day the music died" (which was when Ludwig drove his Chevy to the levee).

Glad I could clarify these issues.

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1378258 - 02/19/10 03:17 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK

If people of the past held that view there would be NO 'classical' music at all. Composers in the past wrote for people who wanted to hear their music.

I realise that many here will feel threatened by my opinions. They are entitled to think what they want. But I think the highest art known is to reproduce the exact sound intended by the composer. There should be no room for interpretation, deviation, and most definitely, no improvising.

This shows a total misunderstanding, e.g. the composers of the classical period expected the performer to create their own cadenzas in their concertos. Also the score is an approximation - it can never totally define every aspect of a performance.

Also organists are still expected to be able to improvise (at least in the UK).

#1378260 - 02/19/10 03:20 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: John_B]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

JF - that's a yes to harpsichords, babes and free drinks, as long as you don't do anything creative with them. I don't know who this Jefferson Davies guy is, but he sounds like he might be dead. Did he write any music?

JB - Please, please accept my humble apologies. And keep on improvising. wink

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1378261 - 02/19/10 03:25 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Loc: Arkansas

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnotherSchmoe

#1378262 - 02/19/10 03:26 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: AnotherSchmoe]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Serenity now. Insanity later. smile

#1378263 - 02/19/10 03:29 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: TrapperJohn]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I thought the whole purpose was to impress hot babes and get free drinks.

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read yet on PW. What's the net-speak abbreviation for spitting coffee all over my computer?

#1378266 - 02/19/10 03:34 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Legal Beagle]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ed - Glad we could share a smile over this one.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1378268 - 02/19/10 03:37 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
yeah..

what better bondage could there be?

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1378282 - 02/19/10 03:56 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

JB - Please, please accept my humble apologies. And keep on improvising. wink

If only I could improvise! crazy

#1378285 - 02/19/10 03:58 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: John_B]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Did someone mention 'bondage'? smile

Edited by John_B (02/19/10 03:58 PM)

#1378287 - 02/19/10 04:01 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: eweiss]
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: eweiss
Serenity now. Insanity later. smile

Touché! thumb

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnotherSchmoe

#1378296 - 02/19/10 04:24 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: AnotherSchmoe]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
TLT, Good one!! thumb I would shudder to think what you might come up with to post on April 1 - except I'm laughing 'way too hard to shudder! laugh

#1378303 - 02/19/10 04:31 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: joyoussong]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
TLT - I am in the process of writing Sonata for Two Elbows, Op 1 No 1, the first in a very long series.

You are saying that it can only be printed for others to play well after I've passed - what if I just change my name?

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1378305 - 02/19/10 04:33 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Do you still play your triangle? laugh

Ed - Glad we could share a smile over this one.

Working on: music

#1378313 - 02/19/10 04:43 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: al-mahed]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here's how it goes Glen: composition, decomposition, performance. In that order. No exceptions.

Yes, thankyou al mahed, I kept the triangle after all (I couldn't sell it in the end) and I still practice regularly. But no improvisation.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1378321 - 02/19/10 04:58 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

No - slavery is the only way to go! smile.

Nope, you're underwear is too tight. : )

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#1378333 - 02/19/10 05:12 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Here's how it goes Glen: composition, decomposition, performance. In that order. No exceptions.

Yes, thankyou al mahed, I kept the triangle after all (I couldn't sell it in the end) and I still practice regularly. But no improvisation.

You might want to add these Sonatas ahead of time, though. What to do now?

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1378377 - 02/19/10 05:59 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Inlanding]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Inlanding

What to do now?

Why, scales of course! smile

In very tight underwear.

(I don't know why my threads always degenerate into innuendo.)

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1378387 - 02/19/10 06:08 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
JF - ... I don't know who this Jefferson Davies guy is, but he sounds like he might be dead. Did he write any music?

Jefferson Davis - you don't know him? Well, he is dead, didn't write any music (at least non that made the top 40) but was big on slavery of a certain sort until we had a little backyard brawl where his gang got their miserable butts whooped and he was last seen slinking off into the shadows with his tail between his legs muttering something about getting revenge on that SOB Abe somebody or other with the big hat and nagging wife...I think he finally ended up getting the Nobel Peace Prize by pushing "global cooling" in a very big way...which was hot back then, so to speak.

JF

Edited by John Frank (02/19/10 06:09 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1378394 - 02/19/10 06:12 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Nice!

Of course, every person should play scales until their fingers go numb. In fact why play music at all. I only play scales on my Bösendorfer. Since I have more keys than normal, my scales are that much better!

#1378395 - 02/19/10 06:13 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: TrapperJohn]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We never covered that in school, but I now feel ready to write a PhD on the subject! Thankyou smile

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1378471 - 02/19/10 09:10 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
lisztonian Offline

Agree with the OP. Yes, the composer wrote the music a specific way because he wanted it played a specific way. It bothers me as well when people deviate so far from from what the indicated marking is on any given piece.

#1378495 - 02/19/10 09:50 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: lisztonian]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Aha you are the triangle man TLT, I remember you!

My students play a lot of pieces by a certain regular poster on piano world. My students like the pieces very much and I am Not Prepared to make new repertoire choices (would require lateral thinking which I haven't had since I turned from gardening to classical piano). Should I do away with this composing Poster in order to benefit my students? If I play triangle for 12 hours in composer's vicinity would that be fatal?

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1378499 - 02/19/10 09:56 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Canonie]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: Canonie
If I play triangle for 12 hours in composer's vicinity would that be fatal?

I fear he might decompose.

#1378508 - 02/19/10 10:11 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: jazzyprof]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
If I play triangle for 12 hours in composer's vicinity would that be fatal?

I fear he might decompose.

Like this:
ting ting ting ting ting - - ting - - ting ting ting ting - ting - ing ting tigg tong ting ting ting bingbingfbinginb thing--

Well it's definitely dead music.
Ahem, the "he" composer is actually a "she" composer. But we won't say any more about that!

Jazzyprof, you will be fine as long as you play chopin because is very dead and thus appropriate for study (thank goodness for that) laugh Now I really must get back to some dead person practice. What a blessing that Hanon is dead too as he is the perfect antidote to creativity on a dangerously inspired morning.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1378554 - 02/19/10 11:45 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Canonie]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
I wonder who really knows how the composer wants the music to sound if they are dead? smile I mean.. you can read the notes and play.. and listen to professional recordings of the piece from other bands etc but we don't have recordings from the composers themselves do we? And I'm talking about those really old classical composers. Like take bach for example. He died in 1750 or something like that. Did they even have ways to record back then? lol So how do we know how the music is suppose to come out if the original composer isn't around to show us and there are no recordings of it. Just a thought. We can take a pretty good guess of course but still maybe we are completely off from what the original composer wanted? I don't really know anything about classical music etc so I'm curious:) So.. I guess in the end.. I'm wondering if we interpret these wonderful classical pieces the way the composers wanted them interpreted or we maybe we dont? smile

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1378567 - 02/20/10 12:07 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Canonie]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Aha you are the triangle man TLT, I remember you!

Yeah I almost fell off my chair when I read his triangle post last time!

On the subject of dead composers, my young children and I had a strange conversation in the car the other day.

6-year-old son: I want to listen to Mozart
me: Play Mozart Piano Sonata in ....
car: Playing Mozart Piano Sonata ....
son: Is Mozart playing the piano?
8-year-old daughter: Mozart is dead.
son: He could be a zoombie.
me: Zoombies are slow; can't you hear those scales?
daughter: Yeah but Mozart was a prodigy!

#1378568 - 02/20/10 12:10 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ladypayne]
lisztonian Offline

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
I wonder who really knows how the composer wants the music to sound if they are dead? smile I mean.. you can read the notes and play.. and listen to professional recordings of the piece from other bands etc but we don't have recordings from the composers themselves do we? And I'm talking about those really old classical composers. Like take bach for example. He died in 1750 or something like that. Did they even have ways to record back then? lol So how do we know how the music is suppose to come out if the original composer isn't around to show us and there are no recordings of it. Just a thought. We can take a pretty good guess of course but still maybe we are completely off from what the original composer wanted? I don't really know anything about classical music etc so I'm curious:) So.. I guess in the end.. I'm wondering if we interpret these wonderful classical pieces the way the composers wanted them interpreted or we maybe we dont? smile

We know how the composer wants the music by the markings, such as allegretto, presto, grazioso or rinforzando. The only marking I know of that allows the pianist some freedom is ad libitum.

#1378571 - 02/20/10 12:16 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: lisztonian]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You guys are being way too serious. The OP totally didn't mean anything he said. I think he meant for this thread to be fun. Let your best sarcasm flow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (AndrewJCW, Arizona Sage, AndresD, 36251, anotherscott, 41 invisible), 1510 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156249 Topics
2294670 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
07/29/14 08:30 AM
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
07/29/14 07:58 AM
How to study harmony through Bach
by ttttcrngyblflpp
07/29/14 07:58 AM
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
07/29/14 06:37 AM
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
07/29/14 05:30 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission