Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1378717 - 02/20/10 09:14 AM An assembly of decent hardware ?
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

How do you rate this assembly ?

Macbook 13"
Kawai ES6 Portable Keyboard
AKG 240 MKII Headphones
Bose L1 Compact Stage Speakers

Anything else (hardware) missing to be able to effectively run the various software pianos ?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1378813 - 02/20/10 12:33 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Ask anyone who builds speakers and they'll tell you Bose puts 99% of their money into marketing and maybe 1% into R&D. The bigger names like JBL, Eminence, etc. are the real deal. And I think you want studio monitors rather than PA kind of stuff - or are you planning on performing out with this setup?

#1378824 - 02/20/10 12:46 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: dewster]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC
Originally Posted By: dewster
Ask anyone who builds speakers and they'll tell you Bose puts 99% of their money into marketing and maybe 1% into R&D. The bigger names like JBL, Eminence, etc. are the real deal. And I think you want studio monitors rather than PA kind of stuff - or are you planning on performing out with this setup?

I have read comments about Bose that make your comments seem like a compliment.

On the AKG headphones, I suggest that you try a pair before buying. I got mine for Christmas, and they are really very good.

BUT - the ear cups are too small even for my smallish ears, and can be quite uncomfortable. The ear cups are actually round whereas my Sennheiser HD 570 are oval in shape and much more comfortable. I have stretched my AKG's a bit and they are better. Stretching is easy - using two thumbs takes about three seconds. But for large ears, they aren't ever going to fit well.

Glenn

#1378833 - 02/20/10 01:01 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Cashley
Anything else (hardware) missing to be able to effectively run the various software pianos ?
There's so much information missing from your posts, that I feel that, in effect, this is what's missing to begin with! laugh

I'm not familiar with the Mac family, so can't be sure if a Macbook 13" has set settings, but if not, every little detail plays an important part (for example the size, speed and type of hard drive, the RAM, CPU speed, etc).

What is also missing is the extent of software you will be using. An older software piano (for example NI's Akoustik has relatively small requirements, while the new QL Pianos has huge requirements. Pianoteq does not need RAM but fast CPU, while Ivory needs mostly RAM rather than CPU and so on...)

What is finally missing is your goals. If it's for your own enjoynment then by all means "almost everything" should be fine (but not Bose). If you're after performance, then you need to make sure of your output (speakers, although I'm hesitant to think you will be required to bring your own speakers to a piano bar, as well as other smaller parts), and if you're going for a studio, then you need DECENT, not decent, parts, depending on your final goals (yes, again).

After googling the various parts of your enquiry I saw that the Kawai is around 2000$! For such an amount of money you ARE serious!

For the 1000$ of the Bose you can get other very good monitors (for example KRKs, or the above mentioned, or even some PMC or Focal (Europe companies, so not sure, but especially the Focal have some excellent monitors for less than 1000$!)

For 999$ you can probably also get a PC laptop, rather than a Macbook 13" (please don't anyone kill me for this), with slightly better specifications, but I don't think this is a bad deal, just a matter of choice. Now if you would consider getting a desktop, then I would recomend getting a desktop PC, instead of the Macbook 13", exactly because the whole setting will be very better.

Finally for the headphones, I'd suggest (more expensive, but hey...) getting some Sennheisers Hd 600/650 or something... I've tried both the AKGs and the HDs (and some Beyerdynamics) and I largely prefer the HDs!

All the above are personal preferences and recomendations and nothing more!

#1378849 - 02/20/10 01:21 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Nikolas]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:

I'm not familiar with the Mac family, so can't be sure if a Macbook 13" has set settings, but if not, every little detail plays an important part (for example the size, speed and type of hard drive, the RAM, CPU speed, etc).

Every Apple Mac is more than enough to play Pianoteq or any of the other virtual instruments. The slowest, lowest cost Apple MacBook has a 2.26Ghz Intel Dual Core and 2GB of RAM. Specs go up from there.

Quote:
What is finally missing is your goals.

Yes. No one can know if the speaker system you selected is properly sized to the venue. Where are you playing and is it solo or in a band. Yes, Bose does have a reputation of marketing. They somehow distort the sound and people like it. Just stay away from that brand.

You will want a stereo PA setup. Place the speaks not to far part near the keyboard. Or if you can only afford or transport one speaker then set Pianoteq to play in mono. I think you are looking for th PA system not unlike a vocalist might use. But it has to be matched to the size of the room it is used in.

One more thing: How you hook the MacBook to the PA. IS the cable a long run? And will this be used very freuently? If so get a USB aduio interface. If for no other reason the conectors it uses are more robust then the 3.5mm audio out jack on the macbook. 1/4" TRS outs to you speakers are much more reliable. That 3/5mm jack really can NOT take a beating and will fail.

I like my K240s bUt I just if they don't fit you you'd have to get something different. But I'm sure they fit 99% of the population

Edited by ChrisA (02/20/10 01:27 PM)

#1378859 - 02/20/10 01:31 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

One more thing: How you hook the MacBook to the PA. IS the cable a long run? And will this be used very freuently? If so get a USB aduio interface. If for no other reason the conectors it uses are more robust then the 3.5mm audio out jack on the macbook. 1/4" TRS outs to you speakers are much more reliable. That 3/5mm jack really can NOT take a beating and will fail.

The salesman who did a demo for me, he used a MP3 player and plugged a cable from Bose system to the jack of his MP3 player.

I don't know what TRS is.

But not to worry. PA system will come at the very last stage. As for headphones, the choice seems to be between AKG and Senheisser.

#1378868 - 02/20/10 01:42 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: ChrisA]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Quote:

Every Apple Mac is more than enough to play Pianoteq or any of the other virtual instruments. The slowest, lowest cost Apple MacBook has a 2.26Ghz Intel Dual Core and 2GB of RAM. Specs go up from there.
Just need to make something clear.

QL Pianos, at their full are 270 GB and require a VERY strong computer (on CPU only (for Macs only): Minimum Requirements for Mac

* Dual Core G5 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4 or newer

Recommended Mac System

* Mac Pro Quad-Core Xeon 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM
) taken from here

The latest pianoteq pro, (3.5.1.something anyways) might have slight issues with high polyphony on slow duo core computers.

All I'm saying is that the words "Macbook (pro)" are not enough for me to place judgement on the computer. Plus I couldn't find any info on the apple site, on the actual hard disk (and I use, for example, Caviar Black drives and Velicoraptors for samples).

Anyways, I'm not against Macs, not by a million. smile

#1378870 - 02/20/10 01:42 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
I heard a saying once that I found hilarious. I'll never forget it...

"No highs, no lows; must be a Bose!"

Edited by LesCharles73 (02/20/10 01:43 PM)

#1378875 - 02/20/10 01:49 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I don't know what TRS is.

Of course a 3.5mm jack will work. The problem is that they are not mechanically robust. If you bump the plug while it is plugged in you can damage the jack. Those 1/4 inch plugs are stronger and make better connections. It's purlely machanical, not electrical. When the little jack on a notebook computer fails it is a very expensive repair. It's common for those line out jacks to fail so that's why I said to think about the cables runs and so on. and maybe not use the computer's line out

TRS is "Tip Ring Shank". That means a plug with three conductors and two insulating bands. Some people call it a "stereo" connector. But stereo is only one use of that kind of plug. TRS can be either 3.5mm or 1/4" diameter. Your iPod uses a 3.5mm TRS plug. The larger headphone jack on most DPs is 1/4" TRS.

#1378883 - 02/20/10 02:05 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

I believe I raised this question in another thread. I have always had this headache over the connection of the jack and plug.

After a prolonged period of plugging it and out, the connection tends to become faulty. And I'm not sure if it's the fault of the jack or that of the plug.

In any case, how does one remedy such a problem ? Like what ChrisA said, "when the little jack on a notebook computer fails, it is a very expensive repair."

Actually there is a central theme in opting for the above hardware components. I want to keep everything as simple as straightforward as possible. The Mac seems to be a natural choice, and I wouldn't want extensive wirings for speakers system and amplifier.

#1378920 - 02/20/10 02:53 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Re the AKG's being too small for extended playing, the Sennheiser HD600's are comfortable for extended playing. They're pricey, but worth it.

If you decide to investigate the Senn's, it'd be a good idea to get a model who's sonic characteristics match those of the 600's. Those 'phones have a "flat" response - no frequencies exaggerated - and outstanding fidelity across the audio spectrum.

#1378930 - 02/20/10 03:09 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Glenn NK]
CruelStrings Offline

Originally Posted By: Glenn NK
Originally Posted By: dewster

I have read comments about Bose that make your comments seem like a compliment.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I had to laugh when I read that lol!

#1379033 - 02/20/10 06:11 PM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

A
Quote:
fter a prolonged period of plugging it and out, the connection tends to become faulty. And I'm not sure if it's the fault of the jack or that of the plug.

In any case, how does one remedy such a problem ?

In a home environment I'd not worry about it.

But in a less well proected environment just use a USB audio interface. You might even be able to reduce the cable mess with one of these. BUt if allthe audio and MIDI cables plug into the interfacebox and then just ne USB cable goes into the computer. You just have to make a diagrma and count the cables. Maybe the audio interface works best.

One thing I want to look into and have not is "wireless". I've heard about both wireless MIDI and wireless USB. Both sound potentially usfull but I don't know much about either. I think it would be great to mount an audio/MDI interface under the DP (maybe with velcro) and then have wireless USB gong back to the computer.

#1379341 - 02/21/10 02:15 AM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: FogVilleLad]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FogVilleLad
Re the AKG's being too small for extended playing, the Sennheiser HD600's are comfortable for extended playing. They're pricey, but worth it.

If you decide to investigate the Senn's, it'd be a good idea to get a model who's sonic characteristics match those of the 600's. Those 'phones have a "flat" response - no frequencies exaggerated - and outstanding fidelity across the audio spectrum.

Thanks, Fog.

Will look out for Senn 600 when I go for my pro audio shopping.

It seems that 'a flat response' is deemed ideal for listening to software pianos. Does that mean the same flat response headphone is not suitable for MP3 songs ?

#1379343 - 02/21/10 02:17 AM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: ChrisA]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do you mind recommending USB audio interface that will match a Mac ?

#1379348 - 02/21/10 02:21 AM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

It seems that 'a flat response' is deemed ideal for listening to software pianos. Does that mean the same flat response headphone is not suitable for MP3 songs ?
The better your listening output is, the more flaws it will show from your tracks, samples, piano, mp3s, everything.

While I can't say I mind listening to mid quality mp3s (128 kbits for example) on an mp3 player with small headphones, the same does NOT apply in my studio. There, the differences and compression of the mp3 is amplified enough to spot it. Not that I have the super ears to spot 256kbit mp3 vs wav files, but anyhow the mp3s around me are kinda detectable.

#1379477 - 02/21/10 10:24 AM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: Cashley]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
After a prolonged period of plugging it and out, the connection tends to become faulty.
Some possible fixes ...

Make the phone-plug connection semi-permanent. Run the cable around to the back of the laptop. Take one of those long thumb-screw posts (used in video connectors). Take that bare screw/post and screw it into the video jack. Tie the audio cable to the post with a plastic tie-wrap. This way, when the cable gets tugged, the force is taken up on the video jack, not on the audio jack.

Alternate possibility ... Use the tie-wrap to tie the audio cable to the hole intended for a security cable-lock. This might be better than the first solution because the security latch/hole is built to take some abuse.

Is this discussion limited to laptops? Or are we talking about desktops, too? On a desktop, there's a better solution. Open the computer, and wire a proper pair of RCA jacks to the sound card, in parallel to the phone jack. Mount the RCA jacks on one of the unused metal card-slot covers (drill two holes). Now you have a more rugged installation.

#1379510 - 02/21/10 11:34 AM Re: An assembly of decent hardware ? [Re: MacMacMac]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think some have misunderstood my point about poor connection.

I'm not worried about 'securing' the plug to the jack. As all items are portable, it's likely that nothing is permanent. I have to move my laptop to another place without at the same time moving my keyboard or headphone. In the process of plugging in and out of the jack, I'm not sure if it's the plug that gets worn out or the jack. But in the event that it's either one, what am I supposed to do ? I can't possibly buy a new set of headphone just because the plug has worn out ? Or change the computer or keyboard because the jack is no longer sensitive. This is a recurring problem.

Edited by Cashley (02/21/10 11:35 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
54 minutes 11 seconds ago
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Today at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Today at 05:19 PM
Does anybody know about Hayes London?
by Sam4
Today at 05:16 PM
Mason & Hamlin Opinions
by Hunt
Today at 03:23 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (ando, AB99, acortot, accordeur, antony, 42 invisible), 1146 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157634 Topics
2315350 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission