Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1379097 - 02/20/10 07:23 PM Slave to the tyranny of composing music
lisztonian Offline

I believe only in composing music so I started this thread so that we can discuss this issue.

I realize that many here will feel threatened by my opinions. They are entitled to think what they want. But I think the highest art known is to be able to compose music on your own and completely disregard dead composers' markings on their pieces. There should be plenty of room for interpretation, deviation, and most definitely, plenty of improvising.

This is the sole purpose of playing piano.

So many of those so-called music lovers who frequent the internet in search of confinement and restriction of expression come across schemes by which they actually reproduce sounds with varying degrees of success. Such endeavor is completely worthless.

No - slavery is the only way to go! smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1379141 - 02/20/10 08:14 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: lisztonian]
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
Accidentals, articulations and slurs are only there as visual ornaments, and they must be disregarded. Happy are those without perfect pitch, or a sense of rhythm, or harmony, or voicing, for the kingdom of music is theirs forever and ever.
verbis defectis musica incipit

#1379152 - 02/20/10 08:31 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Tar]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
You've gone too far. "Composing" implies an intent, and intent implies preparation, which is bad. We must free ourselves of the burden of knowledge or preparation, because such things were originally discovered by others, and blinds you from expressing your true creativity. In fact, even knowledge of what keys we are hitting is too much, so I suggest taking apart the piano and playing the strings by hand. Only then will your true creativity flourish, and you can free yourself from the binds of the status-quo approach to learning piano. As a wise man once said "The less you know, the more you can achieve". Or something like that.

#1379165 - 02/20/10 09:03 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Theowne]
lisztonian Offline

I don't necessarily believe what I posted, I was just mirroring the "Slave to the tyranny of classical music" thread.

#1379170 - 02/20/10 09:10 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: lisztonian]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Must be something in the air wink

Edited by Theowne (02/20/10 09:10 PM)

#1379263 - 02/21/10 12:18 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Theowne]
karen627 Offline

Loc: Georgia, United States
I just throw stuff at the keys.

#1379276 - 02/21/10 12:43 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: karen627]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
You just sit down at the piano without any thought of creating something and tune in to your feelings.
Then you start to play the first thing that comes to mind. In other words, your fingers come before your brain.

I realize that this is actually contradictory, and not possible, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by stores (02/21/10 12:44 AM)

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1379284 - 02/21/10 12:52 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: karen627]
AllShookUp Offline

Loc: Pike County, PA
Keys are "old school". Blowin' into it is hipper, I think.

#1379331 - 02/21/10 01:51 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: stores]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
You just sit down at the piano without any thought of creating something and tune in to your feelings.
Then you start to play the first thing that comes to mind. In other words, your fingers come before your brain.

Let's not involve fingers in it, because that requires practice and effort. Rather, play from the heart, and the music will flow from the piano of its own accord.

#1379393 - 02/21/10 05:49 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: karen627]
Tar Offline

Originally Posted By: karen627
I just throw stuff at the keys.

I can do better than that, I let my cat walk on them.

#1379463 - 02/21/10 09:55 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Tar]
Pete M. Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Tar

Doesn't that technically make your cat the composer? I think we'd better stick with Theowne's method. *nods wisely*

#1379559 - 02/21/10 12:40 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Pete M.]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
A spoof of a spoof - interesting. And interesting how close the thesis is to the 'Free to be creative' thread, which was the original target of my wit. wink

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1379728 - 02/21/10 04:31 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: ten left thumbs]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
A spoof of a spoof - interesting. And interesting how close the thesis is to the 'Free to be creative' thread, which was the original target of my wit. wink

Not to be witty or anything but you're impartially, and in a totally unbiased way, claiming that you were witty? laugh

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1379733 - 02/21/10 04:42 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Pete M.]
Tar Offline

Originally Posted By: Pete M.

Doesn't that technically make your cat the composer? I think we'd better stick with Theowne's method. *nods wisely*

I'd rather think we're entering the realm of philosophy. Is the cat the composer for creatively walking on the piano... or am I the composer for creatively letting the cat on the piano?

Anyhow, Theowne's method doesn't work for me; I can't take my piano apart -- it's digital frown

#1379750 - 02/21/10 05:01 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Tar]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I can't take my piano apart -- it's digital frown
Well, you could try... smile ... though finding the strings might be more difficult.

#1379760 - 02/21/10 05:21 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: currawong]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
It is difficult... ha I once had a problem and the technician of the shop where I bought my DP was afraid of opening it (his words), so I had to wait for the Kawai man for a looooooong time. Finally he had to come from Sydney because the guy in my town said Kawai doesn't pay him enough for going to people and he was on a sort of strike....

Music is my best friend.

#1379902 - 02/21/10 08:21 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Tar]
karen627 Offline

Loc: Georgia, United States

I'd rather think we're entering the realm of philosophy. Is the cat the composer for creatively walking on the piano... or am I the composer for creatively letting the cat on the piano?

Anyhow, Theowne's method doesn't work for me; I can't take my piano apart -- it's digital frown

Eh. Either way, the cat's directly involved in the positioning of the paws.

My piano's digital, too. To compensate for not being able to take it apart, I make sure not to turn it on before I start throwing stuff. This way, music will only come if one of the projectiles actually smacks the power switch. Never mind which sounds you'll hear -- whether you hear any sound at all is left to chance. I'm a purist that way.

#1380096 - 02/22/10 01:47 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: karen627]
Tar Offline

Originally Posted By: karen627

My piano's digital, too. To compensate for not being able to take it apart, I make sure not to turn it on before I start throwing stuff. This way, music will only come if one of the projectiles actually smacks the power switch. Never mind which sounds you'll hear -- whether you hear any sound at all is left to chance. I'm a purist that way.

Oh no, no, can't do that. One of your projectiles might end up setting off the pre-set recording of Bach's Two-Part Invention in C Major (if you own a Yamaha) or Debussy's La fille aux cheveux de lin (if you own a Roland), then the result would be disastrous!

#1380101 - 02/22/10 02:01 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Tar]
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
I threw a zebra at my piano. It didn't sound like much but hey, it looks great! http://www.box.net/shared/7cf1roc75n

#1380143 - 02/22/10 05:41 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Tar]
krimaus Offline

Ideally the cat and piano should be locked in a big box with some poison. Hey presto! You have a superposition of composed avant guard music and dead cat. smile

#1381656 - 02/24/10 01:56 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: krimaus]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Hah. If only we could all be as creative as these cats/kittens: smile

Kitten on the Keys (Zez Confrey)

My cat's into modern jazz chords. wink

#1381999 - 02/24/10 02:44 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of composing music [Re: Elssa]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds

Random thoughts for a random thread:

Love that zebra piano. We could try to have a zebra play instead of a cat.

My cat shows a preference for tone clusters, too.

In one of my dance classes, there's a student who has a T-shirt that says on the front "Schrodinger's Cat Is Dead," and on the back, "Schrodinger's Cat Is Not Dead."

It's been shown that entire molecules, not just teensy things like photons and electrons, will behave in the standard quantum-mechanics manner if you put them through a double slit experiment. That is, they will show an interference pattern as if they had gone through both slits at the same time. It's been said that if you could design a big enough setup, a grand piano would behave the same way, if you threw it at the slits. But it probably wouldn't sound very good.

Have fun....

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
10/19/14 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/19/14 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
10/19/14 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
10/19/14 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
10/19/14 04:23 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (barbaram, Al LaPorte, ando, bennevis, 20 invisible), 1171 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325591 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission