Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1378573 - 02/20/10 12:18 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
We never covered that in school, but I now feel ready to write a PhD on the subject! Thankyou smile

Of course, you know nobody would want to read your dissertation until you are dead.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1378580 - 02/20/10 12:40 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: lisztonian]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
ooh guess I forgot about those lol and I still like music where people have improvised it like canon for example. There are some wonderful improvised versions of that song out there. Plus.. most of that music is way to hard for me to play from the original scores so I like it when people put it in easier forms but is that really improvising or just rewriting the score so it's easier for people like myself to play ?:)

Edited by ladypayne (02/20/10 12:46 AM)

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1378588 - 02/20/10 12:49 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: 4evrBeginR]
ladypayne Offline

lol it's fun to make threads serious... that's how discussions get going :P

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1378645 - 02/20/10 03:45 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ladypayne]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
WELL..............

I'll join in simply to narrate a tale from the early 80s when I was a high school student and being asked by my instrumentalist friends to accompany them for their instrumental examinations.

It was a Grade 5 flute exam, and we were to begin with a simple movement from a suite by some Baroque composer or other. My friend and I had rehearsed well, and I really knew what to do to make her sound fabulous and hopefully score brilliant marks thanks to our dynamic ensemble performance! Just before we were about to start this first piece the examiner came over to the piano, put his hands on my shoulders and said "Now we know this piece was written for a harpsichord, and since harpsichords didn't have sustain pedals we won't be needing to use the sustain pedal on the piano, will we?"

"No!!" I exclaimed enthusiastically, surreptitiously sliding my right foot back under the piano stool, cursing his commitment to the authenticity trend, and attempted to accompany well, despite the fact I had not rehearsed the music 'dry'.

At the point of the exam where my role had ended, the examiner returned to where I was seated, did the hands on my shoulders thing again, and said "You are a very gifted accompanist".

What a sadist.

Edited by Elissa Milne (02/20/10 03:45 AM)
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1378648 - 02/20/10 04:08 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Elissa Milne]
Nguyen Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Elissa Milne
What a sadist.

I like your style.

#1378677 - 02/20/10 06:20 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
We never covered that in school, but I now feel ready to write a PhD on the subject! Thankyou smile

You never covered Jefferson Davis and the great, heartwarming American Civil War during your education in Scotland? Hard to believe. I'm sure they did. You must have been absent that day. After all, we studied the Scottish Civil War(s) here in the States - all of them. Or at least we saw the movie version starring Mel Gibson.

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1378713 - 02/20/10 09:01 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: TrapperJohn]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US

A little music to add to the discussion. Don't sing along though, Michael Palin is alive and well to the best of my knowlege.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkRXTT-15WM

#1378728 - 02/20/10 09:42 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Little_Blue_Engine]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
First of all I would like to reassure everyone here that I am a triangle and piano player of the *female* variety. Probably everyone knows what that means, but anyone who is unsure may please speak up, and I'll let them know. My education in anatomy was far more detailed than that on history.

Blue Engine - I am a true Python, though I'd never heard that one. Thankyou for bringing it to my attention.

Elissa, that is a beautiful story.

JF - You talk of the American Civil War. This rings a triangle for me. Who did you fight it against? I'm glad at least you were civil to them, and hope they paid you the same courtesy. I don't recall Scotland having civil wars, although it is possible I was simply absent from school that day.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1378742 - 02/20/10 10:09 AM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Little_Blue_Engine]
ladypayne Offline

lol funny :P

#1378806 - 02/20/10 12:25 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ladypayne]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

BB player has closed the 'Free to be Creative' thread. laugh

Halleluya! thumb

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1378814 - 02/20/10 12:33 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
ladypayne Offline

haha

#1378823 - 02/20/10 12:45 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
TLT, you are awesome. laugh
Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention creativity. There must be no creativity. The time for that has passed.

Unless you are on your deathbed and can guarantee that the last note will be written with your dying breath. Your other option is to come back as a ghost and possess some innocent soul to write the music for you.

#1378881 - 02/20/10 02:01 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Frozenicicles]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
Unless you are on your deathbed and can guarantee that the last note will be written with your dying breath. Your other option is to come back as a ghost and possess some innocent soul to write the music for you.

Someone else already had that idea:

Just went to a play last night by Mark Twain (a dead writer) and David Ives (a living playwright): Is He Dead?. It was performed by live actors (thankfully), but obviously with no creativity, since they were just repeating the words written by someone else.

From the review:
Quote:
The preposterous plot focuses on a real artist, Jean-Francois Millet, whose masterworks included "The Sower" and "The Angelus." Although a genius, Millet is depicted as unrecognized and starving. Knowing how dead artists are revered, his three fellow artists hit on the idea of faking Millet's death and raking in the cash.

Surprisingly funny.

#1378953 - 02/20/10 03:52 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
First of all I would like to reassure everyone here that I am a triangle and piano player of the *female* variety. Probably everyone knows what that means, but anyone who is unsure may please speak up, and I'll let them know. My education in anatomy was far more detailed than that on history.

I'm strangely aroused...

#1378956 - 02/20/10 03:53 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Mark...]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

PS: When today's new age guys die they then become tomorrows classic guys...??

Edited by Mark... (02/20/10 03:54 PM)

#1378961 - 02/20/10 04:00 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Mark...]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Nope, they become tomorrow's old age guys.
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1378970 - 02/20/10 04:16 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: Mark...]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark...

I'm strangely aroused...

Try some scales. Works for me every time. laugh

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1379078 - 02/20/10 07:05 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Ten left thumbs
sorry reassign your gender earlier wink I do try to get it right if possible :-/
Quote:

Good advice. Arpeggios are even more effective. For goodness sake don't play any Beethoven.

That was a scary story Elissa! The hands on shoulders thing is ... <shivers>
Sorry to do away with you earlier in the thread but it's the tyranny of deadness for composers - what can we do?

An ancient nun made me play a rather aweful piece called The Angelus when I was young. I found my old copy recently and played it through and wondered how any adult could like such a monster of dull writing, although as a kid I remember playing it to death - I wonder if that is why I have had an aversion to F major and Bflat major ever since. They say that early experiences are powerful.

Gidday to all ABFers on this lovely Aussie morning. it's a pleasure to hang out with you all on this Awesome Thread smile

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1379109 - 02/20/10 07:34 PM Re: Slave to the tyranny of classical music [Re: ten left thumbs]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark...

I'm strangely aroused...

I did the E flat scale today...thanks!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (accordeur, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 36251, Allard, 27 invisible), 1365 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156220 Topics
2294282 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission