Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1349190 - 01/14/10 05:41 AM NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Details to follow ....

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1349194 - 01/14/10 06:12 AM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: Dr Popper]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Wow!

So this is Roland's answer to the Nord Electro, yes?

NAMM will truly be a keyboard heaven this year!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1349203 - 01/14/10 07:27 AM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: Kawai James]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: KAWAI James
Wow!

So this is Roland's answer to the Nord Electro, yes?

Yep I'd say that's exactly what it is ...with a little more thrown in ....Roland press release below

The Best in Organ, Piano, and Synth Sounds for the Gigging Musician

Los Angeles, CA, January 14, 2010 – Roland is proud to announce the V-Combo VR-700. Featuring the best of Roland’s acclaimed Virtual Tonewheel organ, full key multi-sampled piano, and pro synthesizer sounds, the V-Combo is perfect for players who need an all-in-one keyboard for a variety of musical settings, including houses of worship, stage performances, and rehearsal studios. The V-Combo offers powerful real-time performance capabilities in a simple-to-use-interface.

The V-Combo provides an authentic sound and feel to satisfy any organ player. Using Roland’s Virtual Tonewheel engine, the V-Combo simulates the unique structure and distinctive sound of vintage organs. The new amplifier and rotary simulator faithfully reproduces the sound needed for jazz, rock, funk or gospel, while the 76-key waterfall action captures the feel of a vintage organ. Add an optional PK-25 or PK-7A pedalboard for a more console-organ type feel.

The V-Combo takes its lead from Roland’s popular instruments, including everything from expressive full key multi-sampled acoustic grand pianos, classic electric pianos, to realistic strings, brass, bass and guitar sounds. With tone remain capability onboard, the 76 keys can easily layer two ensemble tones together, or layer and split with the organ tones.

In addition to the ten harmonic bars on the front panel, the V-Combo also incorporates a variety of expressive controllers for even more exhilarating performances. The red harmonic bard allows players to control the volume of the Ensemble tones. With the D Beam, players can create authentic organ-specific effects, such as wheel braking, or perform filter and level tone shaping on ensemble tones using an infrared light beam.

XLR and ¼“ outputs make the V-Combo ready for any stage, while the USB port and Song Player function enables direct playback and control of backing tracks from USB memory. Keyboardists can also back up and recall Favorites and system settings from USB memory, making the V-Combo easy to share at rehearsal studios.

The V-Combo VR-700 is scheduled to ship in March with a suggested retail price of $2,329.00. For more information, please visit www.RolandConnect.com.

Edited by Dr Popper (01/14/10 07:28 AM)

#1349306 - 01/14/10 11:06 AM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: Dr Popper]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I like the floor unit:

namm-2010-roland-v-combo-vr-700

Though the presences of "Rhythm Patterns" in it is rather troubling.

#1349330 - 01/14/10 11:48 AM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: dewster]
Sprout Offline

Loc: Kansas
Why is "rhythm patterns" troubling?

#1349338 - 01/14/10 12:11 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: Sprout]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Can't imagine why having rhythm patterns would be troubling.

I use a PSR-S910 midi'd to my P-85 which then gives me arranger keyboard capabilities and 88 weighted graded hammer action and still remain relatively portable and very handy for One Man Band gigs, and for doing quick demos...not even mentioning that arranger features are a lot of fun for those with an eye for creative opportunities unavailable on a regular digital piano.

I'm considering a CVP-509 for the same enjoyment and expanded creative opportunities in a home unit.

Some piano players have a tough time playing arrangers...the left hand is the biggest hurdle, as one has to learn chording similar to organ playing, and learning to voice chords differently...it's not for everyone, but for those who are capable of can broadening their musical borders, it opens the door to many more types of gigs.

Regarding the rhythm in the VR-700...they are probably just drum/percussion patterns.

Snazzy

#1349347 - 01/14/10 12:25 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: Sprout]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sprout

Nothing intrinsically. But for me it's rather like built-in speakers - an indicator that it isn't firmly in the stage piano camp.

#1349360 - 01/14/10 12:42 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: dewster]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster

Nothing intrinsically. But for me it's rather like built-in speakers - an indicator that it isn't firmly in the stage piano camp.

I love having speakers in an instrument...very convenient, but, I will say, they must be good.

The speakers in the CP-300 were highly capable, and the piano was a terrific success for Yamaha.

I shall miss that convenience, should I go with a CP-1, or more likely, a CP-5.

Snazzy

#1349473 - 01/14/10 02:38 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: snazzyplayer]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer

I love having speakers in an instrument...very convenient, but, I will say, they must be good.

The speakers in the CP-300 were highly capable, and the piano was a terrific success for Yamaha.

I shall miss that convenience, should I go with a CP-1, or more likely, a CP-5.

Snazzy

I am willing to bet money that Yamaha sold a helluva lot more CP300's to people who didn't spend the whole week performing on them than to those who did. It will be interesting to see if the CP5 and 50 can capture the same market. I know which I would prefer to lug with me to the cabin for the weekend, and it isn't the one that requires carrying all kinds of extraneous equipment.

#1349478 - 01/14/10 02:46 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: theJourney]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

The CP-300 is also an awesome controller with two wheels, and a relatively roomy top upon which you can put another keyboard, tone modules, pints, or a candelabra...

Playing the CP-300 was akin to playing the Avant Grand in that you felt like you were sitting in front of a piano...not quite the same tactile feedback, but definitely the same aural response.

Snazzy

#1349496 - 01/14/10 02:59 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: snazzyplayer]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

pints

Drinks on keyboards are strictly verboten around here. Recipe for disaster you know.

Few sights are as heartbreaking as seeing a glass of wine tip over into a grand piano. Don't ask me how I know, I still can't talk about it.

#1349509 - 01/14/10 03:05 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: dewster]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

pints

Drinks on keyboards are strictly verboten around here. Recipe for disaster you know.

I spoke the last two with tongue firmly in cheek...but seriously, having a piano with a flat top is a terrific idea.

The new CP's don't seem to have much room, although you could probably put a keyboard on it and have something on the stand to support the front half.

I rather not have to use a multi-keyboard stand.

Snazzy

#1349511 - 01/14/10 03:07 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: dewster]
appleman Offline

pints

Few sights are as heartbreaking as seeing a glass of wine tip over into a grand piano.
This is why I drink my wine straight out of the jug.

#1349518 - 01/14/10 03:17 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: snazzyplayer]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I rather not have to use a multi-keyboard stand.

Good point, flat spots at a decent height are hard to come by and are quite handy.

Originally Posted By: appleman
This is why I drink my wine straight out of the jug.

All I ask is that you not put the jug on the keyboard between pulls.

#1349519 - 01/14/10 03:23 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: dewster]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

All I ask is that you not put the jug on the keyboard between pulls.

Back in my hippie days, we used to have a wine-skin slung over the shoulder...better than the wine in a brown paper bag. wink

Snazzy

#1349657 - 01/14/10 06:00 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: snazzyplayer]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
It's on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2OSJ3bY5c

As usual, too much talking, not enough playing. Organ sounds more Roland than Hammond on that clip. Rhodes sounds nice but I'd want to hear a lot more. Nice to have the RD-700GX pianos, but a lot will depend on how well adjusted the velocity curves are to suit the waterfall keyboard.

#1349659 - 01/14/10 06:01 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: theJourney]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: theJourney
I am willing to bet money that Yamaha sold a helluva lot more CP300's to people who didn't spend the whole week performing on them than to those who did.

You say that like it is a positive thing...

Oh, I get it (I think): more casual players bought them than pros?

Originally Posted By: theJourney
It will be interesting to see if the CP5 and 50 can capture the same market. I know which I would prefer to lug with me to the cabin for the weekend, and it isn't the one that requires carrying all kinds of extraneous equipment.

On vacation I usually bring a small sound system to play MP3s (OGGs, actually) thru, and we plug the keyboard into that. I doubt if the CP300 would even fit in our trunk, and lord knows I wouldn't want to move anything that heavy (71 lbs!) by myself - we'd have to take a roadie on vacation with us!

I'll bet Snazz's P-85 is pretty sweet for vacation use though.

#1349699 - 01/14/10 06:47 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: dewster]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, I get it (I think): more casual players bought them than pros?

I'll bet Snazz's P-85 is pretty sweet for vacation use though.

Actually, they were bought by both pretty well equally, if you can believe the salespeople and the reps.

Yes, it is heavy, and one of the reasons it's not all that good for the solo performer...band gigs are usually not an issue if two are traveling together.

My secret weapon is the P-85 midi'd to the PSR-S910...both keyboards weigh less than 25 lbs each, and the PSR-S910 has Audio to USB recording, and an onboard 16 channel sequencer...and they both have speakers. The PSR-S910 will also play Wav and MP3 files.

Using the S910's styles, edited to my liking, I can put down a demo CD in the same time it takes to play the tunes...the piano sound in the PSR is great, and responds very well to the P-85's weighted keyboard...about as compact a studio setup as you can get, and just under $2000 total.

The VR-700 looks pretty decent for a stage piano/organ/synth that is "all in one", and it isn't all that big...would easily fit in my Fit.

76 keys would make key-splits actually useful...can't wait to try one.

This is going to be a great year for keyboardists.

Snazzy

#1379070 - 02/20/10 06:58 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: dewster]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

re: "But for me it's rather like built-in speakers - an indicator that it isn't firmly in the stage piano camp."

I love built-in speakers. When you play a real acoustic piano, part of the visceral experience is that the instrument physically vibrates and resonates... you can feel it up from your fingers into your body. When you play an electric piano with speakers, it recreates some of that, which is absent on a "silent" keyboard. It makes playing the piano feel more authentic.

#1379087 - 02/20/10 07:14 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: Kawai James]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

re: "So this is Roland's answer to the Nord Electro, yes?"

Could be. On paper, the Roland has a more performance-friendly design, with easier direct access to different sounds, full (and straight-forward) split and layering capabilities, real drawbars, and a keyboard that goes to low E (to better cover left-hand bass). The Electro 3 weighs a lot less (performance-friendly in a different way!), and lets you load alternate and sampled sounds. The big question mark is which sounds better. I wonder if I'd like either's organ sound enough to replace my Korg CX-3 for the added versatility.

#1379134 - 02/20/10 08:09 PM Re: NAMM 2010 New Roland VR-700 Stage Piano/Organ [Re: anotherscott]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Roland VR-700 has real drawbars...a big advantage if you play, or have played a Hammond.

I also like the way the rotary speed is assigned to the flappy paddle bender...much like the old half-moon switch on my B-3.

Looking forward to trying this one out.

Snazzy

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
No use...
by alfredo capurso
10/24/14 05:49 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
10/24/14 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, Banshee, 36251, anamnesis, 35 invisible), 1365 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158475 Topics
2327344 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission