2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,

When I'm listening to the sound of the Pianoteq 3.5 I would say that I can hear some sort of distortion. Especially when there are a lot of tones with high velocity at the same time. Have you heard it as well or is this only noticeable in the demos?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Never heard it. There is a lot of resonance etc. action going on, but this is what I especially like. The basic sound itself is rather uninspiring to me. I think pianoteq would really gain in performing some kind of symbiosis of both worlds: Some type of sampling AND the virtual effects like alle the resonance and dynamic development of the basic sound.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Yes, I often hear it too, HOWEVER, the distortion I hear is simply due to the volume level being too high, which causes the signal to "clip". The default output level in Pianoteq is often too high.

Try reducing the volume level in Pianoteq down to -6 and see if the problem goes away. (of course, you may then have to increase your amplifier volume level to compensate)

EDIT: Oops - I see that you are only listening to the demo recordings - yes? Can you please give an example of a demo recording that exhibits the distortion? I have never noticed distortion in any of the demo recordings, although I must admit that I haven't listened to many of them.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 02/21/10 08:21 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Andree, can you please clarify if you are listening to the audio clips on the Pianoteq website, or have actually installed the trial version and are listening to the sound produced by the program itself?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,

I'm listening to the recordings on Pianoteq's website. For example, listen to this one with good headphones "Ballade No. 1 Op. 23 in G minor (F. Chopin)"

Online Content
Why not download and install the trial version?

I'd suggest this would provide the most accurate indication of how the programme will sound/operate on your system.

Cheers,
James
x

A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
At the moment I don't have a keyboard to try with and I don't want to loose the trial version until I can really try it with my new dp (perhaps a Kawai).

Online Content
Ah, I see.

Good thinking!

Cheers,
James
x

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks. I haven't listened to the whole piece yet, but listening to the loud section starting at 4:10, I think I can hear a bit of distortion. This bit of distortion that I think I can hear may be due to the limiter. (and had the limiter been off, the distortion may have been much harsher. I suspect that re-recording the piece, with the volume level in Pianoteq reduced, and the limiter off, would eliminate the distortion completely)

FWIW, I have been a Pianoteq user for years and have never had any distortion that was NOT due to simple level settings.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 02/21/10 09:16 AM.
G
G
Originally Posted by sullivang
Thanks. I haven't listened to the whole piece yet, but listening to the loud section starting at 4:10, I think I can hear a bit of distortion. This bit of distortion that I think I can hear may be due to the limiter. (and had the limiter been off, the distortion may have been much harsher. I suspect that re-recording the piece, with the volume level in Pianoteq reduced, and the limiter off, would eliminate the distortion completely)

FWIW, I have been a Pianoteq user for years and have never had any distortion that was NOT due to simple level settings.

Greg.

Ahhh, someone that understands what can go wrong when using Pianoteq.

The "limiter" is to my mind, one of the often overlooked and abused settings in Pianoteq. Most of the default settings in Pianoteq use four or five microphones (headphones being the exception. On my older dual core with these settings, the output level must be turned down to prevent clipping, OR, the limiter must be turned on.

The problem with the limiter is that it is essentially a compressor (preventing clipping of peaks). Compression results in some distortion (sometimes this does sound better.

To put less strain on my system, I use two microphones, judicially placed to achieve the sound I want. There is an "audio load indicator" in Pianoteq - switching to two mics from four mics, the load drops by about 1/2 - which seems to indicate that the mics use a lot of processor power compared to that used for production of sound.

If someone demos Pianoteq with default system settings, the output level turned up high, and the limiter ON, there is likely going to be some distortion.

Glenn

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andree
At the moment I don't have a keyboard to try with and I don't want to loose the trial version until I can really try it with my new dp (perhaps a Kawai).

Don't worry about "losing" the trial version. There are only two limits to the pianoteq trial. 1) About 6 of the notes are disabled and will not produce sound and 2) The demo only functions for 20 minutes at a time. It can be restarted as many times as you wish.

Not limiting the trial to a set number of days is one of the things that let me keep messing around until I eventually got the entire program.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don't worry about "losing" the trial version. There are only two limits to the pianoteq trial. 1) About 6 of the notes are disabled and will not produce sound and 2) The demo only functions for 20 minutes at a time. It can be restarted as many times as you wish.

Not limiting the trial to a set number of days is one of the things that let me keep messing around until I eventually got the entire program. [/quote]

Thanks for the info, the PTQ demo used to last a long time (6 weeks I think) then time out, I hadn't realised they'd changed it. I've been giving out false info!

Last edited by BazC; 02/22/10 07:26 AM.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,

Now I have tried the trial version of Pianoteq on my computer and I have to say that it impresses me. I tried it with my built in sound card on my laptop and it worked fine. Can anyone explain the purpose of "performance index"?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission