Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1380148 - 02/22/10 06:53 AM CLP 380 or HP 307?
mwf Offline

Loc: Peterborough, England
Hi,

I currently have a CLP-380PE clavinova by Yamaha and have had it only a few months. I am now looking already at possibly selling it for the new Roland HP 307! This is because of the new technology it uses, as there is smoother tone/sound change between levels of playing - no velocity switching, and the sounds of the piano decay naturally unlike many other DP's that just stop when you take finger off key.

I have not played on one yet....this is just what I have read. However I do wonder if sound is better on the yamaha due to the awsome sound system it has.

Does anyone think the HP 307 is a better piano than the CLP-380?

Regards

Mark

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1380157 - 02/22/10 07:22 AM Re: CLP 380 or HP 307? [Re: mwf]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
My 2c: Just try it then you'll know! I would never buy any DP without trying it first. I for myself e.g. prefer the KAWAI keyboard clearly over Roland's, and that's far more important to me than sound quality (although CA-63 sounds very good IMHO), but YMMV.

#1380206 - 02/22/10 09:20 AM Re: CLP 380 or HP 307? [Re: mwf]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: mwf
Does anyone think the HP 307 is a better piano than the CLP-380?

If you could send me a DPBSD MP3 file I'd be glad to tell you how old or new school the CLP-380 sound method is. Yamaha claims it is 4 layer, and they are getting pretty good at blending those layers, though that model was introduced in 2008.

The HP 307 is technically the best non-PC-based DP I've tested so far, but obviously that isn't all there is to a DP. For instance, I want that sound or similar in a reasonably priced stage piano or rackmount form, and not an expensive wood console form, which keeps me from purchasing it. And I haven't actually seen one in the flesh - I'd never buy any musical instrument sight unseen.

#1380207 - 02/22/10 09:21 AM Re: CLP 380 or HP 307? [Re: mucci]
madshi Offline

@Mark, technically the HP307 sound seems to be good. But in the end you need to play the instrument and find out if you like it. Both action and sound are a matter of taste. Some prefer the Yamaha (more bright) sound, others prefer the Roland sound. Another option would be to wait for the next generation Yamaha DPs. If the CP1/5 are any indication, Yamaha are working on really nice improvements. So if you replace your Yamaha with a Roland now, maybe next year you will be tempted to replace your Roland with the latest Yamaha. So again: Go and test the HP307 and upgrade only if you like it *significantly* better than what you have. Otherwise save your money and wait until you find a new DP which you like significantly better. Trust me, there will probably be one sooner or later. DPs have still some ways to go to reach perfection...

#1380300 - 02/22/10 12:02 PM Re: CLP 380 or HP 307? [Re: mwf]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Mark,

All other things being equal, the answer has to be the Roland BUT, if the Yamaha sound really does it for you then a Roland will never quite do so as others have said you'll need to check it out for yourself - the tonal qualities of Yamaha and Roland are pretty different after all.

For what it's worth I've listened to some of your stuff on YouTube in the past and have again just now. I like what you do by the way. The slightly older stuff you posted with the FP-4 sounds very nice, easily the equal of the CLP-380. I accept the Tri-Amp system and iAFC must make the Yamaha a very nice thing to play. Well done by the way on having your YouTube stuff in decent stereo, it makes a huge difference.

I've put this on another thread today but I spent some time with a Roland man today who had come to see me about my V-Piano. I mentioned the HP-307 and indeed the RD-700GX with the Supernatural upgrade and he is very impressed. He says the 307 is the only cabinet style DP he has ever played that does it for him. In fact, I've yet to hear or read a bad word about the 307.

The CLP-380 actually has five level dynamic sampling and I don't think Dewster has put that spec of Yammie through his test yet so if you get a chance upload his midi file so he can check it out (see DPBSD thread). My Clavinova has the four level sample (same as CLP-340 and 370 and P-155 etc) and it is Ok, I enjoy it but really it is nothing at all special, soon runs out of puff at high velocities.

Good luck with your choice!

Steve

#1380456 - 02/22/10 03:23 PM Re: CLP 380 or HP 307? [Re: EssBrace]
mwf Offline

Loc: Peterborough, England
Thanks Steve, one thing I dont like about the CLP-380 is you cant record the IAFC features such as damper resonance, which I am betting will not be an issue with the Roland because its all built in and does not rely on seperate speaker system/effects, I wonder if I am right on that, any ideas?

Regards

Mark

#1380470 - 02/22/10 03:38 PM Re: CLP 380 or HP 307? [Re: mwf]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Well if you can hear it through headphones (which replay every aspect of the piano's performance other than those introduced by special amps, speakers or even resonators like those of the Avant Grand), you will get it through line out and will be able to record it. Your CLP 380 should output damper resonance, string resonance, key off sounds etc etc but will not output the unique elements of the iAFC...I have no experience of this but think it's to do with enveloping the player in sound as in an acoustic grand?

The 380 is Yamaha's top Clavinova so it will be down to preference. Did you like the slightly warmer, more mellow Roland sound or do you prefer the brighter, percussive Yamaha? Obviously the HP307 may sound familiar to you since you owned the FP-4 but will have additional benefits such as the claimed absence of looping or detectable sample layers. Dewster's test seems to validate Roland's claims about this stuff.

Do you have somewhere local you can try an HP-307?

Good luck,

Steve

#1380619 - 02/22/10 06:59 PM Re: CLP 380 or HP 307? [Re: mwf]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: mwf

I currently have a CLP-380PE clavinova by Yamaha and have had it only a few months. I am now looking already at possibly selling it for the new Roland HP 307!

I understand the madness! I only had V-Piano for a few months, and ended up replacing it with the CP1. At the end of the day, you gotta do, what you gotta do. (Assuming you have the resources).
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, Adypiano, ajames, ABC Vermonter, 47 invisible), 1911 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156094 Topics
2292179 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
Today at 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
Today at 11:10 AM
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
Today at 11:09 AM
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
Today at 10:18 AM
25 Vintage Steinways
by Rich D.
Today at 10:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission