Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1380261 - 02/22/10 10:58 AM Recording to a computer file from my CP300.
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I was wondering if someone can get me started with how to record from my CP300 directly into a file on my computer ?

Like ... Step 1: Step 2: etc ...

Computer hookups is not my long suit but I would like to do this.

I know I have a USB port on my CP300 so I am guessing that I hook up to my computer through that USB port. After that I do not know how I get things into a file.

Edited by dmd (02/22/10 11:11 AM)

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1380293 - 02/22/10 11:50 AM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: dmd]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Do you have a MIDI out port on your PC?

If not, you may want to invest in a good USB Audio & MIDI interface, such as the Edirol UA-25EX.

#1380295 - 02/22/10 11:54 AM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: dmd]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: dmd
I was wondering if someone can get me started with how to record from my CP300 directly into a file on my computer ?

There are two ways to go (1) record the audio from the DP this way you record the sound that is generated by the CP300 to the computer to do this you'd connect the piano's Line Out to your computers's audio interface's Line In using a pair of audio cables. Or (2) Record MIDI. This uses USB. In this method the key press and key velocity data is send to the computer and software in the computer generates the sound.

Exactly how to do it depends on the computer. If you have a Mac it is pretty much plug and play as they come already setup for both styles of recrding. If you have a generic Windows PC then you will need some sofwate and likey a little interface box and an audio device driver and a bit of work to configure it.

So before anyone can give you a step-by=step you might want to tell is (1) Your goals for audio quality, What kind of computer you have, what operating system. If yu have a budget and which style of recording you want to do midi or audio. and also how much work and study you are willing to do.

#1380362 - 02/22/10 01:25 PM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: dmd]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Do you want to record the piano's MIDI data? Or do you want to record the piano's audio output?

For recording MIDI data, something as simple as Red Dot Forever will work (on a PC). It's free online. Just load the Yamaha/USB drivers, plug in your USB connection, run Red Dot, and press record. Very simple. (There are more sophisticated solutions, too. But try this one to see if it's adequate for your needs.)

For recording audio, you can connect the piano's line out (or headphone out) to the computer's line input on the sound card. Run Audacity software on the PC (also available free, online). Press record and play on. Again, very simple.

#1380504 - 02/22/10 04:46 PM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: MacMacMac]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1380648 - 02/22/10 07:44 PM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: Kawai James]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, everyone for the help.

I will definitely want to record the piano's audio output, not MIDI.

I will investigate your suggestions and (along with my computer whiz son) give it a try.

Oh, BTW ... one of the responses mentioned HEADPHONE OUT being the same as LINE OUT. I have a headphones jack on the piano. Is that what I should use to hook into the LINE IN of the computer ? That would seem to present a problem because when I plug into the headphones jack, I cannot hear the piano through the speakers with the normal volume.

Edited by dmd (02/22/10 07:50 PM)

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1380704 - 02/22/10 08:48 PM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: dmd]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
... one of the responses mentioned HEADPHONE OUT being the same as LINE OUT. I have a headphones jack on the piano. Is that what I should use to hook into the LINE IN of the computer? That would seem to present a problem because when I plug into the headphones jack, I cannot hear the piano through the speakers with the normal volume.
If you have Line Out (or Aux Out) jacks, use them. Only use the headphone jack if you lack the Line Out.

The disadvantages of using the headphone jack ...
1. You have to set the output level using the volume control. Not too high, not too low.
2. As you said, you can't listen with headphones if the jack is occupied with a feed to the computer.
3. Even if you have dual headphone jacks (some DPs have them), the proper volume setting for feeding the computer might not be a good setting for listening with headphones.

But ... you could listen to the sound from the computer (using either speakers or headphones), using the computer's volume control to set the sound level.

#1380745 - 02/22/10 09:59 PM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: dmd]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Oh, BTW ... one of the responses mentioned HEADPHONE OUT being the same as LINE OUT. I have a headphones jack on the piano. Is that what I should use to hook into the LINE IN of the computer ? ...

Your CP300 has Line-Out jacks. There is no need to use the headphone jack. You would only use the headphone jack if the piano lacked a line-out

#1380754 - 02/22/10 10:20 PM Re: Recording to a computer file from my CP300. [Re: ChrisA]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Ok, I use Line-Out Jacks.

Now, on my CP300 I see a pair or output jacks labeled ...

OUTPUT
L/MONO R

I assume those are the Line-Out jacks.

Thanks.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, ando, ajames, 47 invisible), 1902 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156229 Topics
2294480 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
by Giancarlo Robles
07/28/14 03:59 PM
Need suggestions for Music Room
by Gatsbee13
07/28/14 03:39 PM
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
07/28/14 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
07/28/14 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
07/28/14 11:32 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission