Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1380842 - 02/23/10 01:18 AM Excessive ledger lines?
buck2202 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH

(Click takes you to imageshack, not imslp)

I'm working on Grieg's Lyric Piece Op.57 No.6 (Heimweh/Home-Sickness) at the moment, and these are measures 36-41 (no numbers in my edition, so I counted it quickly and may be wrong). I'm working from a Dover edition, but it looks just like the image above (Edition Peters, from IMSLP). I don't have any questions about playing it, and apologies if I'm bringing up something that's been beaten to death before...I did a quick search and found general questions about ledger lines, but not exactly my question.

I'm wondering, is there anyone that prefers this amount of ledger-lines over using 8va? And what motivates an engraver/typesetter(/composer) to do it one way or the other? I realize that this is fairly simple to read, but it just seems awkward to me.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1380847 - 02/23/10 01:27 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: buck2202]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Seems like you don't like it -- and I'm with you.
BTW I don't think those kinds of notes are 'fairly simple to read.' I have a helluva time with them. I'm a good sight reader and score reader, but not with notes like that. They never stop being a pain in the neck.

Literally. smile

Because I lean forward, stare at the notes, lean back, lean forward again, then finally break down and count the dam lines -- like, "OK, let's see, what would that be......A, C, E, G, B!! Cool, it's a B! No wait a minute, it's B-sharp. Or did I miss a line or two, maybe it's a D-sharp or F-sharp.....

I can't stand those.

#1380849 - 02/23/10 01:31 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Mark_C]
buck2202 Offline

Oh, no, I agree with you completely...it drives me crazy. When I say "not that difficult to read," I don't mean that I could just pick up in the middle of it and tell you what the notes were after that many ledger lines. But, the intervals are small enough that I can keep decent track of where I am from an "easy" starting point like the E# in the second line.

But yeah..to just take a single note out of it takes me a while. Adjust the lamp, clean my glasses, go get some coffee, etc... smile

#1380850 - 02/23/10 01:38 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: buck2202]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
There are a few issues with this particular phrase that makes the use of the 8va sign a little problematic.

1. Both hands, after a little while, end up in the upper staff. Which makes things complicated (the 8va sign applies for both hands?)
2. There is polyphonic texture on the right hand, which again would weild the question (the 8va applies for both voices?_
3. Finally the left hand is rather close, and bringing the right hand an octave down, would probably create a mess in the mind of the performer, with notes seemingly cross refferencing all the time.

I agree they are tiresome a little, but it does stand that it might be more trouble than it's worth to put an 8va sign.

#1380851 - 02/23/10 01:39 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: buck2202]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: buck2202
....Adjust the lamp, clean my glasses, go get some coffee, etc... smile

......sometimes magnifying glass......

#1380853 - 02/23/10 01:42 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
There are a few issues with this particular phrase that makes the use of the 8va sign a little problematic.

1. Both hands, after a little while, end up in the upper staff. Which makes things complicated (the 8va sign applies for both hands?)

Good point but I don't think it would be an issue. If the upper staff had an 8va sign, it would clearly apply just to that staff.

Quote:
....3. Finally the left hand is rather close, and bringing the right hand an octave down, would probably create a mess in the mind of the performer, with notes seemingly cross referencing all the time.

Yes (good get!) -- and I think that could very well be why it's notated the way it is.

#1380856 - 02/23/10 01:55 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Mark_C]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Sometimes I prefer 8va - but to be honest, it's sometines used pointlessly. If there's excessive ledger lines, it can be a pain. But to be honest, I'm so used to them now I can just read them like there on the stave.
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

#1380859 - 02/23/10 02:02 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Nikolas]
buck2202 Offline

Oh, that's interesting. Actually this whole "Molto piu vivo" section has both hands in the treble clef, and I can see how it might be a little unusual to have the left hand "appear" to be playing higher notes with 8va.

However, this is from Op.62 No.1 (Sylph) that I played a little while ago. It's in the same edition, so presumably was edited by the same person, or (hopefully) at least with a similar style. Why no ledger lines here, then? Would it have crossed some line between 'awkward' and 'inappropriate'?

#1380866 - 02/23/10 02:28 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: buck2202]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Marc: The last 2 bars in the 1st example (1st post) has both hands playing from the same staff, the upper one. Where do you apply the 8va? To all voices? To the right hand? To all hands? etc...

buck: I can't be sure (didn't edit the score). What I can see as differences between the two examples you posted are:
1. The first is flowing, while the second is an exact repetition one octave lower (the second time). Might be easier for the eye.
2. Cross staffing on the second example wouldn't exactly work, because the beams could get in the way (despite one would turn the upper staff lines upwards, there would still be a continuous beam, which could complicate things).
3. Since there is no cross staffing, one of the things I mentioned above (1 I think) dissappears (no problem with voicing, which voice the 8va applies, etc...

All this is just guessing on the age of Finale, right? I've never ever used typography or engraving, so I'm quite uncertain if there are other practical issues... :-/

#1380881 - 02/23/10 03:12 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Offline

Marc: The last 2 bars in the 1st example (1st post) has both hands playing from the same staff, the upper one. Where do you apply the 8va? To all voices? To the right hand? To all hands? etc......

That would be very easily taken care of: all the notes would just be written an octave lower (and the 8va sign would apply to all of them).
No problem.

#1380887 - 02/23/10 03:31 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Mark_C]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

That would be very easily taken care of: all the notes would just be written an octave lower (and the 8va sign would apply to all of them).
No problem.

Sancte bovinus, what a dunce the editor was! (Maybe Grieg too.)

#1380903 - 02/23/10 04:32 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: landorrano]
SamOnThePiano Offline

Loc: Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
Schubert did the Same with his impromptu no 2 en E flat major. There are more than 6 ledger lines! Or seven. But I think that the piece wouldn't look simple with an 8va and could cause confusion. Is that the case?

Founder of my own dreams, to become a concert pianist.

I am Samuel Cho(click!) and music is what I'm here for.

#1380905 - 02/23/10 04:49 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: SamOnThePiano]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
I'm with you. They are driving me crazy in Clair de Lune. When I compose pop-jazz, I use 8va.

#1380918 - 02/23/10 06:14 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Mark_C]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Marc: The last 2 bars in the 1st example (1st post) has both hands playing from the same staff, the upper one. Where do you apply the 8va? To all voices? To the right hand? To all hands? etc......

No problem.
Nope,

It would still weild the very same question: "The 8va applies to all voices, all layers, all hands, or only the upper one"?

Honestly, with cross staff, the 8va sign is actually quite risky to use.

(At least my take from the end of the editor/composer/publisher)

#1380947 - 02/23/10 07:49 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: buck2202]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: buck2202

I'm wondering, is there anyone that prefers this amount of ledger-lines over using 8va? And what motivates an engraver/typesetter(/composer) to do it one way or the other? I realize that this is fairly simple to read, but it just seems awkward to me.

I wouldn't say I prefer this (slaps head and says "I could have had an 8va"), but it doesn't bother me or slow me down anymore.

#1380978 - 02/23/10 09:09 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Damon]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Nikolas,

I don't see your point. 8va applies to the notes on one staff. It does not apply by hand or by voice. It would be perfectly clear if used in this context.

#1381003 - 02/23/10 09:58 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Damon]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Damon

I wouldn't say I prefer this (slaps head and says "I could have had an 8va"), but it doesn't bother me or slow me down anymore.

I don't have an opinion on the ledger line issue, but I did want to say that I think this is one of the funniest one-liners I've seen on PW in ages. thumb

#1381005 - 02/23/10 10:02 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Damon]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
slaps head and says "I could have had an 8va"
laugh

Deborah

#1381046 - 02/23/10 11:16 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: gooddog]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Sometimes you need ledger lines and 8va.

Pierre Sancan's delightful Boite à Musique:

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1381054 - 02/23/10 11:27 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: dannylux]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My trusty mnemonic (ACE) comes in handy and my brains have gotten used to it. A C E for the notes on the lines starting with the first ledger line. You can read them really quick once you program the mnemonic in. I admit,sheepishly, that while reading both staffs comes automatically to me now, I STILL need said mnemonic to sight read the silly ledger lines..

#1381058 - 02/23/10 11:34 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Andromaque]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
For me it just depends on the length of the passage. Extended passages in 8va are always nice, but for short passages, I find the 8va line and mental gymnastics to be not worth the bother.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1381075 - 02/23/10 11:53 AM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Kreisler]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
I hate 8va i can read all ledger lines in the treble and bass clef very fast i work on them too much write it down and make practice improve your sight reading

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1381086 - 02/23/10 12:06 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Offline

No problem.
Nope,
It would still weild the very same question: "The 8va applies to all voices, all layers, all hands, or only the upper one"?.....

Nikolas -- I gotta believe you're just not picturing it. Remember, for this point we're talking only about the last 2 measures of the example in the 1st post.
There would be no ambiguity, because the voices are in basically the same range and quite close together. I'm sure that if it were written and you were looking at it, you'd have no doubt that it would apply to both voices -- nor would anyone else.

#1381092 - 02/23/10 12:11 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Monica K.]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

I don't have an opinion on the ledger line issue, but I did want to say that I think this is one of the funniest one-liners I've seen on PW in ages. thumb

YES!! Thanks for highlighting it -- I hadn't gotten Damon's brilliant 'reverse-alpha-numeric pun.' smile

#1381094 - 02/23/10 12:12 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Monica K.]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I don't have an opinion on the ledger line issue.....

Actually my main opinion on the issue is I prefer to see it spelled leger. ha

#1381096 - 02/23/10 12:13 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: dannylux]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: dannylux
Sometimes you need ledger lines and 8va....

LOL!
Great example!

But actually you don't.
There's also the "16va" sign.....although in this example I have to admit that the appearance on the page contributes to the feeling of the passage, and writing the notes an octave lower would impair that.

And I'd guess that's a big part of it in the Grieg example too.

#1381106 - 02/23/10 12:19 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Mark_C]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
8va typically applies to the staff below it appears. When both staves are to be played 8va, editors will do one of two things - either place the 8va above each staff (which I've only seen once or twice, it's a horrible solution because it clutters the score), or write "Both hands 8va" (you often see this in elementary level method books.)

The reason it wasn't used in the Grieg example is:

1) If you're sight-reading the score, then it's very easy to miss the indication "8va", so having it there wouldn't be all that helpful.

2) If you're learning the piece, then it would only take a few seconds to write "E# Fx A C#" above the notes in the second line, and A#m, D#M over the triads.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1381113 - 02/23/10 12:32 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Mark_C]
Harmonies Offline

There's also the "16va" sign....

Wouldn't it be a "15va" sign?

#1381114 - 02/23/10 12:34 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Harmonies]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Harmonies

LOLOLOL!!!!

Come to think of it, it sort of should be, but it isn't. smile

#1381119 - 02/23/10 12:40 PM Re: Excessive ledger lines? [Re: Mark_C]
Happy Birthday ted.stanion Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Harmonies

LOLOLOL!!!!

Come to think of it, it sort of should be, but it isn't. smile

Actually, it should be and is. I've never seen 16va in a score, but I have seen 15va.

Ted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
Who's Online
62 registered (36251, Badinage, AliAlkhiro, andwi, AEMontoya, beeboss, 15 invisible), 928 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314215 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission