2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1380964 02/23/10 09:45 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Dear teachers,
Would you have a recommendation for easy yet interesting duets for cello and piano. I would like to present 2 young relatives with some music. The little girl is about 6 and is in Suzuki Book 1 for cello. She has a very good ear though. The boy is 8 and in Bastien Level 2 for piano.. . I have looked around online but to no avail. I suspect that I am not looking "well".. Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I should add that I asked the boy's piano teacher but he did not express much interest or perhaps he did not know. He is a young pianist who graduated just a few years ago. My own teacher promised to ask around. He has not taught young beginners in a very long time.

Have a look at the bottom of this page at the repertoire lists

http://www.acmp.net/www/links/C50

I am not a teacher but a piano student. My children study cello (suzuki 3ish) and violin (suzuki 1ish). I have used this list to find pieces I can play with my daughter. I have also used this to find pieces for my children to play with friends who study other instruments. My cellist daughter learns pieces with a friend who plays piano but lives in another state. They web-cam practice and play duos in each otehr's recitals.

Again, I'm not a teacher but my advice might be to start searching around for music but wait another year. Maybe kids have an easier time with ensemble playing, but I found it wildly challenging and frustrating. I also found my daughter's string teacher more supportive than my piano teacher.

K
K
Trying asking over at:

Cello Chat

It's the cello equivalent to Piano World and there quite a few teachers there who I know play piano. While you may have to join to post, I'm sure you'll get some good answers.

KZ (another recovering cellist)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Dorrie, krAYZEE
The acmp list is very interesting and has given me good ideas.
KZ, what's with the "recovering" cellists here??!! Did you give up the cello for piano? which did you find to be harder? why?
As you can tell I am a cellist who never was.. but I never lost my cello envy.
I have been by the cello forum but you are right about needing to sign up first. It seems geared towards more advanced players and adults.
Thanks again.

K
K
Of the, guitar, bass, drums, recorder and cello, all of which I have endeavored to study, the cello is the hardest. It's the hardest to get a decent sound on and intonation is an on-going challenge. I didn't put it down specifically to play the piano. Rather I put it down because even with two different teachers I was unable to find a way to play it without duress to my 50 some year old thumbs and wrists. The recovering cellist thing I stole from the other poster here. I got such a tickle out of the moniker that I started using it as well.

At the cello boards there is a board roughly analogous to our Adult Beginners Forum called "Cellists by Night" and it includes lapsed pros, and amateurs of all levels. However, by definition the main board, Cello Chat is for ALL cellists. Many of the teachers confine themselves to that board and therefore you will get the best answers to the original question there.

As an aside, the recorder is an under appreciated instrument and while it is considered toyish because you can teach people to play simple tunes in a matter of minutes, becoming what most people would call "good" requires a LOT of time and dedication as it is with any wind instrument.

Kurt

A
A
Andromaque I wrote a few pieces for Piano & Cello (one of my best friends is a great cello player and I have written lots of stuff for him)

Here's one (if you like it I can send you a score)
La Nina y el Barco de Papel

Last edited by ajrdileva; 05/28/10 02:43 PM.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ajrdileva
Andromaque I wrote a few pieces for Piano & Cello (one of my best friends is a great cello player and I have written lots of stuff for him)

Here's one (if you like it I can send you a score)
La Nina y el Barco de Papel

Marvelous. Very nice, and very interesting. La nina y el barco de papel. Felicidades!

I hope that it isn't "mucha cara" to ask, would you be so kind as to send me the score? I'd like to have a closer look.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I just noticed this. Thanks very much Ariel.
I browsed through your website and found it quite interesting. Some of your scores are really good, to the extent I can tell from the short clips.
I was particularly intrigued by the string quartet ("in one movement") that starts the demo. Reminiscent of Rachmaninov's cello sonata (but I am only commenting on the first 2 bars probably). Is it published / recorded?
As for the duet, it is very lovely indeed. I would defintely like the score.
I hope you continue to make some contributions here. You sound like you would have a lot of musical experience to share. It can't be too easy to be a composer..

A
A
No problem, I will upload a pdf and send you a link. (as soon as I can)

A
A
Sorry for the delay... I couldn't find the sibelius file for the piece.
But I found it printed, so I scanned it and put in in a pdf file here:

http://arieljramos.com/pianocello/laninayelbarcodeapel.pdf

(I'm gonna have to use photscore and recreate the sibelius file)

Hope you can read it

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission