Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1381641 - 02/24/10 01:06 AM Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA?
cantplay Offline

At first, I want thank you guys talked me out of getting my friend's "free" piano last time.

I just found the perfect piano for my son. A pristine 1968 Yamaha M2 I bought off craigslist. The seller is a retired music teacher who just moved to a assist living place and left this little M2 behind. She owned the piano since the 70s.

I don't believe anyone would import used pianos from japan in the 70s since the Yamaha was the "cheap" piano on the market at the time. I put the serial number "659686" in the yamaha website and it says this piano was not made for north America.

My question is can Yamaha intentionally denying they made it for America because this sample from the 60s is not upto the standard of their later models?

The only other possibility would be it was imported by an independent dealer rather than Yamaha themselves. Which I can accept since I live on the west coast.
I can't believe how many interesting stories one can find in a piano. After all it is the 3rd biggest purchase in most peoples life after house and car. Not to mention most pianos out live the cars smile

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1381829 - 02/24/10 10:22 AM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: cantplay]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Originally Posted By: cantplay
I don't believe anyone would import used pianos from japan in the 70s since the Yamaha was the "cheap" piano on the market at the time.

There's a big Air Force base here in ABQ, and I see some very interesting pianos that come here when the military moves people back to the US (including uprights with beautiful brass candle sconces!). That's one possibility.

Originally Posted By: cantplay

I put the serial number "659686" in the yamaha website and it says this piano was not made for north America.

My question is can Yamaha intentionally denying they made it for America because this sample from the 60s is not upto the standard of their later models?

Yes, they can, and they can refuse to provide replacement parts for it, based on that serial number. This is the whole topic of "gray market" pianos; there's another thread going on this at present.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#1381881 - 02/24/10 11:51 AM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: Cy Shuster, RPT]
cantplay Offline

That's a good point. I know a few baby boomers came back from japan. They would had brought back pianos about the same time.

The one I got is truly pristine. Not a single scratch any where.

I'm sure they are RPTs who can order parts from Yamaha w/o the run around.

Besides even yamaha says there is no difference in their piano from the 60s for export or not.

Have anyone else tried putting their serial number from the 60s on Yamaha website? I wonder Yamaha just refuse to reconize any piano from the 60s was made for US.

Edited by cantplay (02/24/10 11:53 AM)

#1381889 - 02/24/10 12:04 PM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: cantplay]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Manufacturers of anything can stop providing parts for their products after so many years. Computer manufacturers, like Apple, provide lists of their products called "obsolete." Some states, like California, have different standards, but 40 years is a long time. In fact, many piano companies from 40 years ago are no longer around at all.

#1381908 - 02/24/10 12:23 PM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: BDB]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Well Yamaha is still around so that part is not a problem. If Yamaha refuse to sell parts for this one then use after market generic parts.

It does seem a little suspect that Yamaha will list this one as an offshore piano. Companies like to sell new pianos not repair their older instruments from years back. They refuse to supply parts in a misguided attempt to have these older ones removed from the market.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1381919 - 02/24/10 12:36 PM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
cantplay Offline

I don't need any parts yet ( finger crossed). But when I need parts I'll just go buy a "made in china, American brand, made with Euro material and German parts, Japanese designed" piano (roll eyes). Then I can sell my Yamaha and double my money.

Let me know if anyone else has an one owner yamaha from 60s and was told " not made for north America "

thanks!

#1381947 - 02/24/10 01:27 PM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: cantplay]
cantplay Offline

More info to proof it's not a "grey market" piano.

I just found a little sticker under the lid. It says "David L Abell FINE PIANOS".

I'm convinced that Yamaha is not honest about what is a "grey market" piano. It is just a marketing tool to sell new pianos. My 2 cents

#1382076 - 02/24/10 04:13 PM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: cantplay]
PianoMan1958 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Could be, Cantplay, I find it's interesting that Kawai doesn't seem to take as drastic approach in discouraging the purchase of "grey market" pianos as Yamaha does. Anybody know why that is? Is it due to volume of grey market Kawais vs. Yamaha?

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)

#1382097 - 02/24/10 04:46 PM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: PianoMan1958]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

cantplay,

Yamaha Corporation of America (the North American distributor for new Yamaha pianos in the U.s.) should not have be responsible for pianos that it did not import and sell into this market. YCA has no reason to mess with serial number listings and not include your piano. It is not longer under warranty and you would be paying for any parts needed anyway.

What is the complete model designation. M2 series were 42" consoles in a variety of furniture styles, i.e. M2ER, M2FR, M2GR, M2HR. This series was built in Japan and market beside similar but lesser U.S. built instruments from the Everette factory during that period.

David A. Abell was one of the earily Yamaha dealers in the U.S. Your serial number was produced in 1967. You bought your piano from a private party off of Craigs List. Caution is advised with verbal representations from private sellers. They may not have been the original owner. The piano was likely traded in and resold by Abell. This could have happened a year ago or forty years ago.

#1382365 - 02/24/10 11:47 PM Re: Perfect little M2 forsaken by YAMAHA? [Re: Marty Flinn]
cantplay Offline

Thank you for the info. Where can I find the model number? It is forged on the harp NO M2. And the serial number is printed under the symbol of Yamaha and also on cabinet. Thx again!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, AmateurBob, A Guy, ajames, 40 invisible), 1738 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75573 Members
42 Forums
156252 Topics
2294726 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brahms
by mellifluous
38 minutes 21 seconds ago
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
49 minutes 19 seconds ago
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
Today at 10:35 AM
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
Today at 08:30 AM
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
Today at 07:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission